Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 01:49 PM   #1
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Default Global Warming

OK, we've all heard alot about it, now who believes/disbelieves it.

This is not at all political and should not reference any political party or leaning.

I myself, don't believe it to be real.

Quote:
Powered by GE
Old 10-08-2009, 02:08 PM   #2
ltd
Force Fed Fords

I should qualify, the reason I ask this is because in the USA and here I am constantly reminded that "over 90% of the worlds population believe it". I didn't think the number was that high.

Quote:
Powered by GE
Old 10-08-2009, 02:10 PM   #3
platinumXR
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter.

We cannot be pumping out so many toxins and not be effecting the environment in SOME way, shape or form.

Toys:
2017.5 LZ Focus RS, Magnetic Grey my new pocket rocket
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
1993 EB2 S-XR8 Sedan, Platinum, manual (now sold)
1975 XB Fairmont GS Sedan, Tropic Gold...or Starlight Blue...not sure yet...(for sale now...PM me...)
Old 10-08-2009, 02:13 PM   #4
platinumXR

Probably 80% I would say...slitting hairs I know.

Lot's of people are refusing to believe it now just for the sake of not believing it...just to be rebellious or something apparently...or they just don't like Bob.

Toys:
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
1975 XB Fairmont GS Sedan, Tropic Gold...or Starlight Blue...not sure yet...(for sale now...PM me...)
Old 10-08-2009, 02:15 PM   #5
beaver700

The biggest hoax ever perpetrated on the earth. Man made droughts and floods are nonsense. The media portray it like it is fact, and most people believe exactly what the media tell you. Someone is getting rich anyway...
Old 10-08-2009, 02:18 PM   #6
platinumXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaver700
The biggest hoax ever perpetrated on the earth. Man made droughts and floods are nonsense. The media portray it like it is fact, and most people believe exactly what the media tell you. Someone is getting rich anyway...

I dunno if I would call it a hoax - it extreme...perhaps just misinformed? Can't say as I blame people for wanting to pay attention to what we are doing to the planet.

If we ARE affecting the planet detrimentally, would it not be prudent to pay attention to that and perhaps minimize the impact or reverse the damage if possible?

JMHO.

Toys:
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
Old 10-08-2009, 02:36 PM   #7
Bad Bird
Watts a panhard.

My opinion - the people who don't believe in it have that opinion because they are sick of it being rammed down their throats. However, with access to good scientific journals, it is very easy to see the unnatural upwards heating trend.

The average Joe Public knows nigh-on stuff-all about meteorology and physics and their opinion on this topic means exactly bupkis.
Old 10-08-2009, 02:36 PM   #8
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The question is:

If there is a problem HOW IS IT GOING TO BE FIXED BY A TAXATION SYSTEM?
Old 10-08-2009, 02:42 PM   #9
balthazarr

I'm still in two minds... sure, we're pumping out greenhouse gases at unprecedented levels - does this have an effect? Probably. But, how much of the warming is man-made, and how much of it just part of the natural cycle of ice age/warming/ice age/warming?

Even if the earth is warming, is this such a bad thing? I'd think most of us (particularly the Northern Hemisphere) would prefer warming (even with more frequent/powerful storms, rising sea levels etc.), than an ice age.
Old 10-08-2009, 02:46 PM   #10
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Bird
My opinion - the people who don't believe in it have that opinion because they are sick of it being rammed down their throats. However, with access to good scientific journals, it is very easy to see the unnatural upwards heating trend.

The average Joe Public knows nigh-on stuff-all about meteorology and physics and their opinion on this topic means exactly bupkis.
And how would we know?

We have been able to observe the planet for maybe 100 years, before that almost everything is anecdotal.

No one has yet explained the major ice ages, the mini ice age 500 years ago, the mini global hotwave that allowed tropical jungles in europe a few hundred years ago, the change in temp caused by 1 volcano a few years ago that was greater than any other recorded change etc etc.

Al Gore is a failed politician who has found a band wagon to push and make himself famous.
We have one of those here you know, a failed local council politician who started his own little crucade to make himself famous. You may have heard of him, Harold Scruby......
Old 10-08-2009, 02:50 PM   #11
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

This was posted in the other climate change thread. So here's something for the discussion.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:55 PM   #12
platinumXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by balthazarr
I'm still in two minds... sure, we're pumping out greenhouse gases at unprecedented levels - does this have an effect? Probably. But, how much of the warming is man-made, and how much of it just part of the natural cycle of ice age/warming/ice age/warming?
Yeah, that's what I am saying. "We" as a species...remove trees, strip mine, increasingly populate, produce excessive amounts of waste etc. etc. etc. do all this stuff to prevent the planet from "healing", probably at a greater pace than we pollute it...so...maybe we are causing it, maybe.

As Bad Bird suggests: I am not a rocket surgeon or an internerd so my knowledge and opinion on this is limited. BUT...I am mechanically dextrous and minimally schooled in physics and chemistry ENOUGH to know that what we ARE doing cannot be good for the planet in the long term if we don't ease up or change some things.

Listen to me...I sound like a tree hugger...

Toys:
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
Old 10-08-2009, 02:57 PM   #13
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I for one believe it. I'm not completely ignorant and disbelieve all of the facts. But I for one, do not believe global warming is caused primarily by human influence.

There are facts to support this is a natural process, that being the heating and cooling of the Earth's temp. over the course of millions of years. The scare campaigns, the shock and awe propaganda, I believe are designed to sell an idea, an opinion, and to make money. On one extreme, you could almost compare it to religion. Bloated and exaggerated ideas and messages, presented in such a way to influence and some times dictate people's lives and beliefs. Again, a concept used to make already powerful men, more powerful.

With reports of cooling in recent years, its funny how " global warming " is now conservativly titled " climate change " and a once significant topic and cause for alarm is constantly put on the back burner when it comes to real issues.

I do support the idea of a greener future. To put it simply, if you could make your car run as effective, powerful and as clean as possible you would, the same should apply to the infrustrature and systems that power and aid our community.

On the topic of Australia. Who would have thought, a continent prone to extreme drought, with an ever increasing population and an inept political system would run into trouble in regards to water?
Old 10-08-2009, 03:04 PM   #14
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I feel the same as PlatinumXR..

What are your thought's on Climate Change though..
Old 10-08-2009, 03:13 PM   #15
anto
Za Dom spremni

when it was metioned that temps were increasing on Mars concurrently it got my attention.
The more you look into it and see that there are a lot of geologists and scientists that say its a natural cycle,...and after looking at both sides, thats where I tend to lean. There are too many powerful people with a vested interest in the man made global warming theory for my liking, no I think theres something insidious playing out behind the scenes. All this Carbon credits BS (ie. biggest tax increase in history) and financial meltodown all points toward a global currency/tax system. Sounds like a bad conspiracy story I know but thats how it looks to me.

best thing for everyone to do is look closely at both arguments, I hate the "debate is over" crowd... why dont they want an open discussion on it ? IM tired of constantly getting bombarded with catch phrases like "eco" and "green blah blah"...dont kid yourselves there is a huge industry developing on the back of all this
AU III XR8 red ute
Old 10-08-2009, 03:18 PM   #16
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"Carbon Footprint" - dont try to guilt me on a individual and personal level.
Old 10-08-2009, 03:23 PM   #17
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by platinumXR
... "We" as a species.....increasingly populate...
That there is the problem (to most things).

Too many people using too many resources for it to ever be sustainable.

About time we woke up to the root cause of the problems and stop just treating the symptoms, but that makes people rich ;)
Old 10-08-2009, 03:24 PM   #18
platinumXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfire
I for one believe it. I'm not completely ignorant and disbelieve all of the facts. But I for one, do not believe global warming is caused primarily by human influence.

There are facts to support this is a natural process, that being the heating and cooling of the Earth's temp. over the course of millions of years. The scare campaigns, the shock and awe propaganda, I believe are designed to sell an idea, an opinion, and to make money. On one extreme, you could almost compare it to religion. Bloated and exaggerated ideas and messages, presented in such a way to influence and some times dictate people's lives and beliefs. Again, a concept used to make already powerful men, more powerful.

With reports of cooling in recent years, its funny how " global warming " is now conservativly titled " climate change " and a once significant topic and cause for alarm is constantly put on the back burner when it comes to real issues.
True and good point. I guess the natural cycle continues unabated...but are "we" modifying it? Exacerbating other effects, that in turn effect it?

The climate changes regardless, that much is evident and I guess a lot of the tree huggers get all foamy at the mouth about it because they just don't want to wreck the place, I guess.

More internerding and research is needed I suspect.

Toys:
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
Old 10-08-2009, 03:26 PM   #19
platinumXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor
That there is the problem (to most things).

Too many people using too many resources for it to ever be sustainable.

About time we woke up to the root cause of the problems and stop just treating the symptoms, but that makes people rich ;)
Yeah, too true as well. I guess like a lot of other things we humans are guilty of not doing: taking responsibility for our actions is also one of them.

Toys:
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
Old 10-08-2009, 03:48 PM   #20
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

yeah hard topic. I think we contribute, albeit very small amounts. Surely you dont have to be an expert to acknowledge that the earth will go through cycles like everything else.

I think its good that there are people that think its 100% our fault, without the discussion we wouldn't even bother looking at bettering our processes. Unfortunately there are always groups that take it to far.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 10-08-2009, 04:25 PM   #21
ltd
Force Fed Fords

CO2 or other gases commonly associated with the carbons only comprise a total of 0.038% or 380 parts per million, and in previous times of higher concentration (up to 40,000ppm) life on earth has flourished, would you not agree that we need to have some clear, open and honest debate?
What I am getting at here is that as flappist and others correctly identified, there are far too many vested interests pushing this barrow.
One thing to remember here is that CO2, the very same gas blamed for global warming is heavier than nitrogen or oxygen, and therefore tends to sink down to earth rather than reach the upper mesosphere where it is alleged to be doing damage.

Quote: