Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 26-09-2007, 03:07 PM   #1
kiwikid10
WHAP!!! POW!!! ZORK!!!

Default What headlight globes to buy.

Hi all,

As the title says, what head light globes to buy? As I have to replace one due to it blowing and I know that others have been and tried all there are on the market, so your comments please.

Just easy to buy replacements please as I don't have time to do a HID conversion etc.

Its for my Fairmont, as per the sig.

Bodykit: Havoc
Wheels:XR8 AUII 17's
Interior: upgraded to Ghia,rebolstered seats.
Have parts just need fitting: Territory front brakes, Police issue rear brakes,Full sound system,Alpine HU/Processors,Focal speakers,Xtant amps.
kiwikid10 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2007, 04:49 PM   #2
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwikid10
As the title says, what head light globes to buy?
Prior to our last trip away I replaced my globes with Narva Plus 50's (cost around $60 for the four of them).

I have no complaints and passengers have made comments about how good my headlights are.
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2007, 06:00 PM   #3
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Osram Silverstars. Im using them now and they're pretty good. Dont look nice with that funky blue light, but they put out good light and seem to last.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2007, 09:23 PM   #4
Dark Horse
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwest
Prior to our last trip away I replaced my globes with Narva Plus 50's (cost around $60 for the four of them).

I have no complaints and passengers have made comments about how good my headlights are.
What he said.
Old 26-09-2007, 09:51 PM   #5
miitch
orgasmic.

I put philips BlueVisions (h4's?) in my low beam the other day, I did have narva's in there but they are no where near as good in my opinion.
I paid about $40 from memory, on special at autobarn.

121.0rwkw
miitch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2007, 11:24 PM   #6
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

fully agree Ronwest, very happy also.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2007, 10:43 AM   #7
MRJUCY
Fordless

I like the Philips bulbs, in my AU I've had Blue Visions & Power2Night. City driving I prefer the Blue Visions a touch.
MRJUCY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2007, 02:39 PM   #8
lunatick
Starter Motor

I,ve seen some Autotecnica Blue Max platinum H4 globes at Kmart for $25 but there 100/90W which seems real high, anyone used em
lunatick is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2007, 09:11 PM   #9
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

After testing an array of ADR/ECE Compliant globes ... the Narva Plus 50's were the best on the country roads for me ... ad they lasted longer ... the Phillips globes hated the rougher roads and kept blowing.

Plus the Narva's were a lot cheaper for a better product.

I wouldn't be using a higher wattage globes within polycarbonate headlights ... they tend to melt them ... they also draw too much current across the factory wiring loom .. also having a tendancy to melt that too.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2007, 09:25 PM   #10
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Whatever you do, don't use any of the blue ones. They might be nice to drive with, but they are an eyeache for the oncoming driver.
Old 27-09-2007, 09:31 PM   #11
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJUCY
I like the Philips bulbs, in my AU I've had Blue Visions & Power2Night. City driving I prefer the Blue Visions a touch.
Had both of these in the XR, the GT150's (Power2Night) blew in 3 months with no obvious reason as to why, still haggling with the Philips rep over that set of globes. Got CrystalVisions in there now and they are a good quality light but they just dont project far enough along the road for me.

When they blow I think I'll give the Plus50's another run.
Old 27-09-2007, 09:50 PM   #12
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwikid10
Hi all,

As the title says, what head light globes to buy? As I have to replace one due to it blowing and I know that others have been and tried all there are on the market, so your comments please.

Just easy to buy replacements please as I don't have time to do a HID conversion etc.

Its for my Fairmont, as per the sig.
i have a 99' Fairmont to, and have replaced my globes ...

PHILIPS HED 4000 H4 Ultra Vision Blue Ray Globes

IMO, these are the best lights and have had people comment on them ... as you sit behind them they are bright white, but people comming head on to you, see blue and white as the road dips ...

these are my suggestion ... u get parkers and headlights in a pack for $55? from autobahn

cheers, Nathan
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
V3RSAC3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2007, 05:30 AM   #13
CliffM
XR6 Tragic

I bought some 90/130 globes from Big W for about 35 and they brilliant, I love them to death..... :
CliffM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2007, 11:59 AM   #14
kiwikid10
WHAP!!! POW!!! ZORK!!!

Thanks for all the replies guy's.

I'll toss up between the Narva's and the Philips, when I go to get them tomorrow.

Jason.
Bodykit: Havoc
Wheels:XR8 AUII 17's
Interior: upgraded to Ghia,rebolstered seats.
Have parts just need fitting: Territory front brakes, Police issue rear brakes,Full sound system,Alpine HU/Processors,Focal speakers,Xtant amps.
kiwikid10 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2007, 12:35 PM   #15
chief
FTF Club Moderator

Another vote for the Narva Plus 50's. Very good lamps.

Falcon Tickford FPV (FTF) Car Club of NSW

Fords in the Park 2010

I use and recommend Stingray Car Security.
http://www.stingraycar.com.au/
chief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2007, 01:28 PM   #16
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

1 vote for HID conversion - only takes around 30 minutes than replacing the globes, and the quality of light they emit kills any standard halogen globe. Plus they are supposed to last for 6000 hours, which is around 10 years.

You can get them for around $150 for a set of H4 Bi-xenon (Hi/Low) and under $100 for the H1 high beams.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2007, 03:53 PM   #17
ronwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
1 vote for HID conversion
Our long trips require good headlights so I'm always interested in improvements.

These kits don't have adverse effects with standard AU headlights (burns to lens/ reflectors... beam too high for oncoming traffic etc)?
Old 28-09-2007, 04:05 PM   #18
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Our long trips require good headlights so I'm always interested in improvements.

These kits don't have adverse effects with standard AU headlights (burns to lens/ reflectors... beam too high for oncoming traffic etc)?
zhodak has them on his fairmont, so he is probably in a better poisition to comment specifically on that style of headlight, but for the XR lights that I had on the wagon, they are brilliant. Even on my EL, they seem to be OK (had them in for about 8 weeks now, and so far so good), and also have them on the explorer. The EL & Explorer are both polycarbonate lenses with standard reflectors, whereas the XR had real glass lenses.

They are brighter than normal, so you get flashed from that point of view every now and then, but they are actually less glarey than halogens.

A compromise may be to get them for the driving lights and high beams only (H1s or H3s), and just use plus50s for the low/hi H4 globe.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

Old 28-09-2007, 04:13 PM   #19
ronwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
A compromise may be to get them for the driving lights and high beams only (H1s or H3s), and just use plus50s for the low/hi H4 globe.
Sounds like a plan. We're off somewhere (not sure where, yet) at the end of Oct so I'll look into these before then.

Hopefully zhodak will see this thread and share his views.

Is the supplier a well kept secret or should I pm you for info?
Old 28-09-2007, 04:24 PM   #20
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by nversace
i have a 99' Fairmont to, and have replaced my globes ...

PHILIPS HED 4000 H4 Ultra Vision Blue Ray Globes

IMO, these are the best lights and have had people comment on them ... as you sit behind them they are bright white, but people comming head on to you, see blue and white as the road dips ...

these are my suggestion ... u get parkers and headlights in a pack for $55? from autobahn

cheers, Nathan
Thanks dude, I'm gonna go check out getting some of them for my car as well.

Was out looking for bulbs yesterday because I want whiter ones than I have, more on the yellowish side atm.

I'll have to grab a couple to match for my foglights too though, just so they all match up nicely
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2007, 07:43 PM   #21
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Sounds like a plan. We're off somewhere (not sure where, yet) at the end of Oct so I'll look into these before then.

Hopefully zhodak will see this thread and share his views.

Is the supplier a well kept secret or should I pm you for info?
Supplier is ebay - I've now bought 6 kits off them (plus the original Bi-xenon H4 one through equibs). Anyway, each of the kits look the same as the OEM GE one through equibs, so my guess is they're all made in the same chinese factory, and sold under various brnad/no-brand names. I get the 6000K ones - any higher and they're too blue and are actually less effective and more glarey for other drivers, and the 4300k ones are supposed to be OK as well, but are less white and more yellowy - still whiter than halogens though. Anything lower than 4300K would be suitable if you wanted a yellow type light (for fog lights etc).

Links to the sellers ebay store is:
http://stores.ebay.com.au/diane-shop

Just search for H1 or H3 for the driving lights etc (check yours before you order).

I have ordered them on a Saturday (morning), and they were delivered on the following Wednesday - ie 4 days later.

Old 28-09-2007, 10:56 PM   #22
sly
Sly like a G6

I'll keep that link JC. I've used mainly Plus 50's and Arctic Blues since the original H4 globes gave out, but have usually gone through a pair every 18 months. Must have something to do with bumps and vibration from country roads! The H1's OTOH have never been replaced - the originals are still going after 8 years.

I'd go the 4300's for the H4's due to regular autumn/winter fogs and leaving for work before 5.30 when on dayshifts. The 6000's sound like the duck's nuts for the H1's.
The Frankenfalcon... AU1.5 Wagon, BA brakes, AU2 booster, BA2 XR6T engine, stock from airbox to turbo, 8psi/98 octane tune 240RWKW, BF XR6T cat, quiet 3" zorst, Pex BSO660 & BSO439 mufflers, 84 db, built BTR box, 3.08 LSD, Emer SVI LPG, AU1 XR8 alloys, Momo wheel, JVC KDR746BT head unit, Aerpro steering wheel control wiring.

Sleeper, anyone?
sly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post