Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 26-09-2007, 08:20 PM   #1
I J Cam
Starter Motor

Red face Ignition key identification

Hi guys,I need some assistance here,confusion reigns supreme. I need a new ignition key,the first question asked was about which model it is,fun starts here.
It is a build date 12.99 Fairmont,and is bog standard,so I assume it is an AU1.
One Ford parts guy says it a "smart lock",his mate says its a "smart shield" and the systems are different.
Left them to argue the toss and went to a reputable locksmith,he says he can do a key but needs the 2 original keys to program the new one,problem here,I only have 1 key {thats why I need another.
Is it possible for me to program a key from Ford ? They quoted $65.00 just for the key,dont mind the price but the locksmith quoted $160.00,programed,but needs 2 keys.Is this a fair dinkum statement?
Hope that my thread makes sense and would appreciate a copy of the method of programing if I can do it. Thanks Guys I J Cam

I J Cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2007, 08:37 PM   #2
schuldiner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you can program the key yourself if you have two original keys (as stated) you could get the key cut for around $120 at a mister minut or something. you need to turn the car to on (not start it) with both keys then put the new key in and turn it to acc within 30 seconds or something to this effect im also interested to know about getting another key as i have only one original which is wearing down...

see my ute here

AU parts for sale
schuldiner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2007, 08:43 PM   #3
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

any mechanic with an up to date scan tool can program a second key go see the mechanic first as when he plugs it in it will tell you if it is smartshield or smartlock. if it is smartlock you don't need the $65 key blank. if you do need it you can get them on ebay i got mine for $20
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2007, 09:59 PM   #4
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

AU with smartshield went into production in June 99.
AUXRVIII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2007, 10:39 PM   #5
Bosman
T Series Club Member No24

Mate im a locky. If its a transponder key which it sounds like , you need 2 keys to program more keys yourself. With 1 key you MUST go to ford or a descent locksmith to program a second key. We use a diagnostic tool that plugs into the computer plug located under shround (near knees or in fuse area) We charge 120 cut , supplied and programmed.

OR Buy a tranponder key off ebay , get locky to cut and program or ford to program when in for service.

Noticed where you live , go see Grant at Oakleigh Locksmiths , he'll sort you out no prob.

Hope this helps Bosman

FTe Venom T3TE50 No229 5.6L Manual Don't drive one! Because like so many others , including ME , you will become TOTALLY addicted.

2016 Harley Davidson Softail Heritage customized.
Dead set gorgeous!
Bosman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2007, 12:52 PM   #6
I J Cam
Starter Motor

Smile

Thanks Bosman. Did that, its great to get the good oil on helpful people.Oakleigh locksmith's were really helpful,thanks for helping Regards I J Cam
I J Cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post