Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 27-02-2008, 03:40 AM   #1
duncanwhite

Default Automotive Mechanic

Hey I'm going for an interview next Monday do create films for a company. I'm real keen on film making but it's a real over crowded industry and thinking of making a carer change if I don't get the job. A friend of the family has just lost a apprentice mechanic and is looking for a new one. He'd a real good boss. Real perfectionist and that. I'm only 21 and in late years been enjoying working on the car. What do people reckon. Should I start getting my hands dirty and give it a try. I would not give up on film making. I'd be making films in my spare time to improve and someday hopefully get discovered.

Comments?

duncanwhite is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2008, 05:18 PM   #2
scotty_d

Unless it is something you really want to do, steer clear of being a mechanic. Talk to some people in the trade and ask them if they enjoy their job 90% will say no. Out of my Tafe class 4 were left at the end from 18.
You also have to put up with $210 a week 1st yr wages. which is hard for a guy in his early 20's, you would spend more than that on one night out. Also expect to have to outlay anywhere between 5-10 grand on tools over the four years depending on quality of tools you buy.

Up to you though, just make sure you do something you enjoy doing, there is nothing worse than waking up dreading of having to go to work each day.

Good luck

Scott.
scotty_d is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2008, 10:41 PM   #3
redranga

If you going to do a trade do a licensed trade eg plumber or sparky becasue they get the good money.
redranga is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2008, 12:11 PM   #4
Windsor220
Now Fordless

You have to have a real passion for the job. 95% of all apprentices have had enough buy the time they're into their 4th year. I like cars but am always thinking why did I choose this career. Pay is reasonable but not as good as other trades.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2008, 04:12 PM   #5
duncanwhite

Thanks for the advise guys. My interview is tomorrow. See what happens
Old 03-03-2008, 07:22 PM   #6
RJO89
EuroFordClub

How'd the interview go?
I'm also looking at this sort of career change. Sort of. I'm only 18 and just starting second year at uni, but failed some subjects last year and really don't enjoy uni. I love working on my car more than anything, and would give anything to be working in the trade. However, I was looking more at auto electrician, rather than mechanic. Anyone got ideas on the auto electric side of things?

Far from stock... --- SOLD :

Now riding a 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R :
RJO89 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2008, 08:44 PM   #7
duncanwhite

I had my interview yesterday arvo. The company acidently organanized the interview for Monday which is a public holiday here. The interview was really good. I've decided the film making job is too good to pass up. As well as starting on 40k it will really stretch me. They give there answer to me next week but I'm fairly confident.
Old 07-03-2008, 11:03 AM   #8
chief
FTF Club Moderator

I am now 22 and started my apprenticeship when I was 21. You are on mature age wages what is $391.42 a week AFTER tax. Not to bad. Being a mechanic can make your passion for cars go two ways. Love them even more or hate them to death. You spend your day fixing other peoples cars and no time to work on your own if a common complaint.

My advice is to stay away from dealerships. You get stuck emptying bins, sweeping floors, moving cars around for your first year. As for a private business you will get thrown in th deep end and will love it. Your mates at Tafe will be complaining about the dealership and you can say I did this and that and you will be proud.

Feel free to PM me if you want some more info.

Falcon Tickford FPV (FTF) Car Club of NSW

Fords in the Park 2010

I use and recommend Stingray Car Security.
http://www.stingraycar.com.au/
chief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2008, 02:08 PM   #9
duncanwhite

It a small place. The owner/operator is my sister's husband's uncle. A friend of the family.
Old 08-03-2008, 01:13 PM   #10
boss-290

I work in a dealership. I have been for 4 weeks.

I do stuff like emptying bins, mopping floors, doing tyre pressures, balancing tyres, putting cars on hoists, doing basic servicing and basically helping the other mechanics.

I'mn starting to enjoy it more as time goes on. Having said that thugh, there are days where I just want to go home lol.

I like the dealership because they are new cars, not crap pre 80's oil leakers.
boss-290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2008, 02:42 AM   #11
duncanwhite

Well I was surprised that I didn't get the video gig. So I'll give this apprenticeship thing ago. I won't stop making short films though.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:29 AM   #12
RJO89
EuroFordClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncanwhite
Well I was surprised that I didn't get the video gig. So I'll give this apprenticeship thing ago. I won't stop making short films though.
Bad luck mate, sorry to hear it. You never know, you might find that you'll enjoy the apprenticeship more !!
Let us know how you get on

Far from stock... --- SOLD :

Now riding a 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R :
RJO89 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2008, 12:17 AM   #13
nb_351
building the xe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss-290

I do stuff like emptying bins, mopping floors, doing tyre pressures, balancing tyres, putting cars on hoists, doing basic servicing and basically helping the other mechanics.

I'mn starting to enjoy it more as time goes on. Having said that thugh, there are days where I just want to go home lol.

but theyre where the money is mate... lol
you cant leave them out of this...
then you get the owneres who cause the car to stay like that...
i can tell you now learn the basics on the older cars first, then go to the newer stuff...
the new stuff is just advanced old stuff really, to an extent lol
nb_351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2008, 02:54 PM   #14
ELtim
Six One Eight

Quote:

I'm washing cars for a Holden dealership atm...It's dumb.

No, I'm not a apprentice mechanic which is what I was hoping to get out of it.

For Sale: Year Old Gas System
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=2644272#post2644272
ELtim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2008, 06:27 PM   #15
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I done a trial for 2 weeks at a local mechanic workshop, for an apprenticeship last year.

Too be honest unless it's something you're passionate about, it's not something I would like to do everyday.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2008, 12:44 AM   #16
duncanwhite

Well I didn't get the film job so I'm starting a trial week tomorrow morning. I hope it goes well.
Old 20-03-2008, 01:08 AM   #17
duncanwhite

First day: loved it
Old 20-03-2008, 05:02 PM   #18
PoMmYwOG

i would have loved to be a mechanic, but im chasing money in the business sector of things lol...i love anythign to do with cars...

my bro works for a holden dealership as a 1st year mechanic app and loves it, the pay aint the best but is good for an 18y.o. He very rarely has to sweep the floors and stuff, he got put straight into the servicing and other jobs, within his first week he got to pull the suspension out of various commo's and machined discs, pulled a monaro diff out,warrenty work etc, now he gets his own set of cars to do each day...he loves it, only thing is that it is a very physical job and comes home knackered. TAFE is great too, loves it, looks forward to it everyweek

06' Mazda SP23
5spd auto
Luxury pack
PoMmYwOG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2008, 06:12 PM   #19
ELtim
Six One Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncanwhite
Well I didn't get the film job so I'm starting a trial week tomorrow morning. I hope it goes well.
How the hell did you get a trial that easy? I've been looking for an apprenticeship for weeks.

For Sale: Year Old Gas System
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=2644272#post2644272
ELtim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2008, 01:08 PM   #20
denis badland

I have been a truck and car mechanic for just over 40 years and my advice would be....be passionate about it......don't expect great wages for the outlay..of tools ect...hard on the body....I would suggest that you later look at desiel...far better money in trucks.....have a good look at electronics and get your extended licenses...as this makes you more valuable and pays better. one of the best differences between cars and trucks...is quite often with trucks you go out and fix them on site....so you get to get out of the workshop. I have a job that allows me to be my own boss......I spent a great amount of my day outside of the workshop....yeah....no bosses looking over my shoulder. Be prepared to get your hands dirty.....Later you may be able to start your own business if that is what you want to do...just my advise....of working in the trade on just about every type of vehicle you could imagine for 40 years....also don't forget that you will also be able to do mechanics in other countries if you desire...as I have
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2008, 02:24 PM   #21
krt10
eskyman

Quote:

i work at a dealership too. im a 2nd year now. but i was doing services by my self after my first week. i dont have to work with anyone and just get it checked over when im finished.
i did my first gearbox replacement after my first month there.

its really good to be trusted enough to not have someone watching over you but at the same time have help at the ready if you need it.