Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 20-12-2005, 12:51 PM   #1
FRIKA
FRIKA

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs2k
They are just SL's. But I am running straight LPG and have a few subs and amps. Mudflaps are gone, only reason they were there was the photo was taken 5 seconds after the work was finished.

Id get SSL in the front then it would look hot
Old 30-04-2006, 06:16 PM   #2
Jimmeh

What are people running in there non-XR falcons?
Ive got a stock forte, and lookin at some Kings all round. I dont have lpg or woofers in the rear... so weight isnt a problem. Would SL on the front and SSL on the rear level the car out nicely (with 17inch rims)? or should i just stick with SL all round?

Cheers.
Jimmeh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2006, 08:27 PM   #3
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Price depends on where you get them. I think retail they are around $150 per set. So $300 will do the whole car. Doesn't matter if they are Low, SL, or SSL - all the same price.

XR owners only generally replace the XR springs (which are the same as King Lows, virtually), with SLs, or SSLs.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2006, 08:33 PM   #4
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Price depends on where you get them. I think retail they are around $150 per set. So $300 will do the whole car. Doesn't matter if they are Low, SL, or SSL - all the same price.

XR owners only generally replace the XR springs (which are the same as King Lows, virtually), with SLs, or SSLs.
Why do people replace the XR springs, is it a performance issue really, or the way the car looks? How much lower than stock XR is the Low spring? I don't want it really low, just a little so Low will probably do me I'd reckon.

If they're only $300 a set, I reckon I'm going to start saving up for the SR and wagon! How much for installation you reckon? I know a good fitter in the Canberra area who does them for beer!

I have Pedders sports ryders on the SR, will these go ok with the springs? Also, how much better will they handle than the stock Forte springs? Please describe it JC, if you don't mind, rather than "heaps better" or something as such! LOL! Descriptive comments are what I'm after, will help make a better choice!

Also, how do you lower the rear of a wagon, no coil spring!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2006, 10:00 PM   #5
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
Why do people replace the XR springs, is it a performance issue really, or the way the car looks? How much lower than stock XR is the Low spring? I don't want it really low, just a little so Low will probably do me I'd reckon.

If they're only $300 a set, I reckon I'm going to start saving up for the SR and wagon! How much for installation you reckon? I know a good fitter in the Canberra area who does them for beer!

I have Pedders sports ryders on the SR, will these go ok with the springs? Also, how much better will they handle than the stock Forte springs? Please describe it JC, if you don't mind, rather than "heaps better" or something as such! LOL! Descriptive comments are what I'm after, will help make a better choice!

Also, how do you lower the rear of a wagon, no coil spring!

GK
You can keep standard shocks with Lows/XR springs, or super lows. You may need a camber kit for super lows (which is an extra $300 odd).

It's really just a look thing, though handling does improve. The lower a car is, the lower the centre of gravity is, and therefore the better the car corners. There is less body roll and the car settles more quickly after a bump (in the road). Though the lower you go, the stiffer the springs, and the rebound can actually make you bounce more, instead of less. IMO, Low or SL still gives a comfortable ride, anything lower and you start getting into kidney-jarring territory.

Lowering the rear of a wagon is not as cheap as doing the front. You either need to get your current springs reset to a lower height (approx $400 from Pedders), or buy a "heavy duty" set, which have an extra leaf, and also happen to be lowered as well - again, around the $400 mark, though if you fit them yourself, they would be somewhat cheaper. I did both on my wagon, but the reset was too low (my fault - I asked for 50mm odd, when I should have gone for 30). Those springs are nw in '67s wagon. The HD ones dropped the rear by about 35mm in the end, but the extra half inch makes all the difference in comfort, and towing capability. The wagon handles through roundabouts etc as well as a stock XR - it corners very flat for a LWB barge, and even the missus notices how much better it is than a standard one.

This bloke in Canberra - I don't think he actually drinks beer. More like JD or Jim Beam. But, yes, he would help if you were up this way.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

Old 30-04-2006, 10:30 PM   #6
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
This bloke in Canberra - I don't think he actually drinks beer. More like JD or Jim Beam. But, yes, he would help if you were up this way.
Bourbon is actually my drink of choice if I'm having one or two with mates!

Thanks for the long explanation, especially with regards to the wagon.

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 01-05-2006, 03:07 AM   #7
StevenAu2
Irregular Member

One amazing thing,i came back from the shops to get into my car and it was parked next too a stock height Au2 and standing next to my door and looking across,my roof was so much lower than the stocky i couldnt beleive it.
Another funny thing,when you first get you car lowered you will keep hitting your head on the door frame when getting into the car.
StevenAu2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2006, 12:46 PM   #8
XITED_6
Was It Something I Said!

suspension city north melbourne provost st is the distrubutor of king springs in melbourne $200 and you will have a set of king springs for your ride. id be looking else where to fit them preferably your own personal mechanic.
Old 01-05-2006, 01:09 PM   #9
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by XITED_6
suspension city north melbourne provost st is the distrubutor of king springs in melbourne $200 and you will have a set of king springs for your ride. id be looking else where to fit them preferably your own personal mechanic.
With King Springs for that price I'm getting quite excited!

Did I read your post correctly? $200=4 King Springs?

If so, how much for fitting you reckon, where did you get yours done if you've had them done that is?

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 01-05-2006, 01:35 PM   #10
XITED_6
Was It Something I Said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
With King Springs for that price I'm getting quite excited!

Did I read your post correctly? $200=4 King Springs?

If so, how much for fitting you reckon, where did you get yours done if you've had them done that is?

GK
Yeh thats for set on rears & fronts.
Fitment $80-$150 depends where you go i suppose.
you may as get a front wheel alignment , rotate & balance your wheels while your at it.
thats just your springs you may need camber kit & shockers
Old 01-05-2006, 01:13 PM   #11
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by XITED_6
That's a pretty good price for 4 sedan springs. I get them for $115 a pair (trade), but that includes delivery to Canberra.

Old 01-05-2006, 01:55 PM   #12
BJMXR

I started this thread and ended up getting the Kings as a result of reccomendations from others on the Forums. Firstly, i'd highly reccomend you consider the Kings. I have SL front, and SSL rear. The AU tends to have understeer and a bit of body roll, even with the Factory XR setup. Once i changed my springs i was AMAZED how well the car handled, the turn in on corners and the reduction in understeer was amazing and it was great to drive... HOWEVER... be warned...

I now have shocks that are TOTALLY ruined, the lowering will kill your shocks withing 10,000km. I now need to replace the factory XRshocks as i am essentially driving on a bouncy spring currently. I spent $250 all up, installed them myself, so its definately a cheap option, but, think about new shocks aswell, otherwise you'll ultimately have to replace them in a few months.

Dont know if any one else has experienced a similar thing? Admittedly my shocks were ready for replacing anyway at 75,000 km, but still, be prepared for this, as i now am forced to buy shocks, so im the cheap $250 lowering will translate into an additional $1000 - $1500 for shocks. As ive decided to go for Koni Yellows, fully adjustable when fitted... sweet!

But handling and looks wise, im 100% happy with the KINGS...
Lowered on King SL & SSL
KONI "Yellows" Fully Adjustable Shocks
2.5in Stainless Herrods Cat back
Black Leather Interior
BJMXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2006, 03:10 PM   #13
GK
Walking with God

Shocks on the SR are only 2000 kays old, they're Pedders, so they'll be good for a long time. Also, I'm not interested in SL's just Lows, just my taste and also I'm not intending to need the camber kit.

I think lows will give me much better handling without destroying the shocks and without the added expense of the camber kit.

It's frustrating I know to start with a "little" idea, only to have the "little budget" swell considerably as other things need doing.

Hence, my conservative, but comparitively low budget, and low "bling" mods! LOL! Works for me though!

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 01-05-2006, 03:22 PM   #14
BJMXR

Id imagine the Pedders will be fine... however if you want to actually notice ANY difference in the look, i'd definately go the SL all round at least. I didn't need a camber kit as the AU's have a much longer adjustment bolt than previous Fords, such as the ED etc. So its very possible you wouldn't need a camber kit anyway...

Mine is still VERY practicle, haven't scraped anywhere and the ride height, while still low, isn't ridiculously low. I drive mine every day, lots of KM and its definately not a problem.
Lowered on King SL & SSL
KONI "Yellows" Fully Adjustable Shocks
2.5in Stainless Herrods Cat back
Black Leather Interior
BJMXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2006, 05:48 PM   #15
Duffman
Oh Yeah!

Im looking into lowering tomorrow and can pickup a set of four springs for $220. Its for a t3 kit/19" wheels so im guessing sl front ssl rear from the recommendations. Im going to need new shocks anyone recommend a decent brand and how much they may cost?
Old 16-02-2011, 09:06 PM   #16
bigmac466
Starter Motor

hey guys just got my car lowered yesterday ive got SL in the front and SSL in the rear and have 20's on .. but why doesnt it look much differnet ? i asked the bloke who did it and i said i wanted it tuckn ..but the guard is still higher than the tyre ;(
bigmac466 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post