Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

View Poll Results: Do you warm your car up before driving it?
Yes, my chrome plated grease nipples and double reverse overhead twin cam door handles need it 26 15.48%
usually, it gives everyone else in my street a chance to hear my fully sick zorst 46 27.38%
sometimes, but i usually press the snooze button too often 51 30.36%
Never, i challenge myself ever morning by trying to reach Mach 1 as i reverse out of my driveway 45 26.79%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Old 18-06-2009, 10:11 AM   #61
Ghiagirl
Budding Revhead

Start her up, adjust mirror and seat, turn around and make sure kids are still in their seats and back out the drive. When I leave in the morning it's for school runs anyway so can't go above 40kph, during the day though it's on for young and old once I get to the end of the street! (always within reason though) : ! LOL

His: Winter White 99 AU Fairmont,6 cyl, 17" Tickford Rims, nice and stock
This mum's in mod mode

www.aufalcon.com/ghiagirl
Ghiagirl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2009, 10:23 AM   #62
eb ghia
Starter Motor

start mine up, take my light out chuck it on the roof ( road construction ) and put a cd in and were off
eb ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2009, 11:39 AM   #63
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

start it up, then about 30-40 secs, as long as it takes to get strapped in, find my sunnies and find a CD to put in.....then just take it easy until the temp gauge gets close to normal.
Old 23-06-2009, 03:27 PM   #64
Juzman

I thought this topic was a joke and that warming up cars was something that went out of fashion in the 80s... like spandex.

Although I will admit I do still wear it from time to time...
Juzman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2009, 04:42 PM   #65
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juzman
I thought this topic was a joke and that warming up cars was something that went out of fashion in the 80s... like spandex.

Although I will admit I do still wear it from time to time...
Your a bloke with guts. Very funny

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2009, 09:52 PM   #66
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

If its been sitting overnight I dont like to start it then straight away chuck it in gear and go, I like to to wait for 10-20 seconds. Sometimes when I start it, it will rev higher than normal for around 10 seconds then settle down, I always wait for that amount of time regardless out of habit. I guess I like to give it a little time to 'wake up' and settle down.

As for letting it sit there idling...as has been mentioned many times already, the best way to warm the car up is to drive it gently asap.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2009, 10:20 PM   #67
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Kind of irrelevant, but when I was 18, I used to warm up my first car by full locking it (front wheel drive), foot flat to the floor, wait for break in traffic, then turn key, as soon as it hit 6500rpm just before the limiter I'd side step the clutch. Then flat changes in every gear till I got to work.

I'm pretty sure that warmed it up ok.
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2009, 10:38 PM   #68
wagnman

Without a doubt the best way to warm up a modern EFI car is to drive it gently at low load and revs no higher than 3000rpm until it reaches normal temp. This ensures your driveline components are all up to temp as well as the engine.

older/carby fed cars need more warming up before you start to drive them to get teh engine up to temp so it runs smoothly but then you still need to drive gently for a little while to get your other driveline components up to operating temp before you go giving it some stick.
wagnman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2009, 11:20 PM   #69
XR Lita
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm with Jimmy on this one. Living in Cairns, there is no real need to warm the car up. Usually it is a case of cooling the inside down with air con, while putting the kids in the car. Once they are buckled in... Time to go.