Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 13-02-2006, 09:40 PM   #31
xd5.8l
Banned

usually or most of these cheap cars that some of you point out are of very poor quality. They have a chequered past and are far from straight. Panel gaps, especialy the rear quarters in many vehicles I have seen are full of bog.
xd5.8l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2006, 10:09 PM   #32
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUII_SE_Ute
Was having a look at our local paper on Saturday in the car guide section, and saw a series 2 Fairmont, clean as a whistle. Asking price...

$13,000. From a dealer.

Couldn't believe it. Where does that leave the rest of us?
my S2 'mont from a dealer was cheaper : :
Old 13-02-2006, 10:16 PM   #33
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennAUII
ba fairlanes have the worst resale..
Check out carsales.com.au
There are ba fairlanes going for under $30,000.. they cost about $55-70k when new!!
Damn ... good time to buy a nice luxo barge ... I thought the XTs and Futuras are going for good money .... damn the Fairlanes are getting cheap now.

I have found when looking at utes they hold their value a lot better ... as mentioned above tradies keep hold of them. Try finding a cheap EGAS ute .... ummmm ... nope .... they hold their value even more.

I was looking at upgrading ... but i think I'll just stick with what I have ... does the job ... is comfy ... and I love driving it.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2006, 10:36 PM   #34
DTFRMONT

I bought my Au3 Fairmont last month at Fowles auctions for $7500. Though it's done 190,000 (ex-fleet - stock agent) I was looking for a ghia or an XR6, but I couldn't resist a bargain! Nice & straight, evreything works & it sailed thru the roadworthy, driving it, you'd think it had done half the mileage. Sure, they've got crap resale but the running costs are low, espically compared to 4WD's & some Euro/Jap cars - quite a few of my mates ИИИИИ & moan about spending $1000 for a service on their cars.

The wagons seem to be holding up their value though - I was at the auctions last night & they were trying to get up to $20000 for BA XT wagons. Look like people might be discovering wagons again as their big 4WD's are getting too expensive to run.
DTFRMONT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2006, 11:01 PM   #35
AUIII XR8 MAN
DJR TM#54

Location: on my p.c now with internet! ok i'll still use works internet too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTFRMONT
Sure, they've got crap resale but the running costs are low, espically compared to 4WD's & some Euro/Jap cars - quite a few of my mates ИИИИИ & moan about spending $1000 for a service on their cars.
You have hit the nail on the head there. That one of the main reasons i like the Falcon plus i'm a Ford man. Cheap to service, cheap & easy to repair if something breaks. A few of my mates have brought Falcon now for this very reason & they support the dark side.
Old 15-02-2006, 02:38 AM   #36
Sleeperau
Highway Taxi

Default Price Crash

If you are an AU fan now is the time to buy. 2 weeks ago I saw an AUIII forte 02 model basic but clean with 156k on the clock for asking price $7500. A three & a half year old tidy car with a full pit inspection for probably 7k. I was tempted to buy it for the wife to get rid of her EF. But the way prices of AU's are e series must be almost giveaways!
Old 15-02-2006, 05:08 AM   #37
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Unfortunatly we skipped the repet model (eg. EA, EB, EF, EL, BA, BF, etc...) So because of this, it holds the value of the current... shape so to speak, and because the AU's were replaced within 4 years, the value won't hold as long as a BA for example.

Thats what I find anyway.

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2006, 11:43 AM   #38
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
I have found when looking at utes they hold their value a lot better ... as mentioned above tradies keep hold of them. Try finding a cheap EGAS ute .... ummmm ... nope .... they hold their value even more.
Utes are holding better value. Saw a trayback 02 model for sale for $20,990.
Old 15-02-2006, 01:59 PM   #39
fix8edxr6

that ok i asked ford about trading my AU2 XR6 ute in on a BA XR8 n the best they could offer me for my ute was $9500 i told them they can shove it :gren:
fix8edxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2006, 03:17 PM   #40
DailyDriver

BA's will soon be as cheap as AU's, what with the BF series 2 upgrade in a year or two, plus the new Toyota & Holden &....

I don't think I'll be buying a new Aussie car again, they just depreciate too quickly!

All Go.......VXSS.....380bhp

All Show...2001 AU2 SR...210bhp...SOLD!
DailyDriver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2006, 03:28 PM   #41
cArSiK
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fix8edxr6
that ok i asked ford about trading my AU2 XR6 ute in on a BA XR8 n the best they could offer me for my ute was $9500 i told them they can shove it :gren:
Why tell the dealer to shove it? Thats the state of the used car market. Its not the dealers fault.
cArSiK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2006, 03:35 PM   #42
cArSiK
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
...maybe I shoudl try the cash trick...
Its a common misconception that paying Cash gets a better price when buying a car , in some cases it makes the situation worse.

Dealers make good money when they sell finance for a car , so some of the money they have made from finance can possibly help get a little bit more off the price of the car if its a tight deal.

If finance is taken out elsewhere , the dealer gets paid in full before the car leaves the yard anyway , so cash makes SFA difference really..

james
cArSiK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2006, 03:46 PM   #43
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

First post, woohoo!!

Contributing to this thread, I bought an AU3 F/Ghia from an auction last week for $11,000.
Spotless inside and out, runs faultlessly other than a little brake shudder when brakes are hot. I followed a truck down Cunninghams Gap on the weekend and by about the 2nd kilometre @ <10kmp + dabbing brakes, shuddering developed.
Only other problem is the missing numbers on the aircon/trip comp display (which is how I found Fordforums).
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2006, 03:46 PM   #44
Stampy

IMO Your car is worth as much as you want to get for it ,It's when people get desperate that the market falls I would not sell my XR8 for less than 25k no matter how much the market crashes .
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2006, 03:57 PM   #45
ronwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampy
IMO Your car is worth as much as you want to get for it
....that's what it's worth to you.

The market will always determine it's sale value.

It's your choice whether or not to sell it at prevailing market prices.

edit: clarity
Old 15-02-2006, 04:02 PM   #46
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwest
First post, woohoo!!

Contributing to this thread, I bought an AU3 F/Ghia from an auction last week for $11,000.
Spotless inside and out, runs faultlessly other than a little brake shudder when brakes are hot. I followed a truck down Cunninghams Gap on the weekend and by about the 2nd kilometre @ <10kmp + dabbing brakes, shuddering developed.
Only other problem is the missing numbers on the aircon/trip comp display (which is how I found Fordforums).
Just change the front rotors to DBA slotted and get some good brake pads. Should stop the shuddering.

Welcome to the forums too...

Alan, unfortunately, if you went to sell the XR8 in a years time, I'd bet that you wouldn't get $25,000 for it. You may be lucky though...

If I went to sell my ute right now, there's no way in hell I'd get $14,000 for it. People would go elsewhere, because they know where to go to get a cheap AU ute.
Old 15-02-2006, 04:06 PM   #47
ronwest

Quote:
Just change the front rotors to DBA slotted and get some good brake pads. Should stop the shuddering.

Welcome to the forums too...
Thanks for that, I'll chase it up and see what's what. Thanks for the welcome too.
Well organised, informative site.
Old 15-02-2006, 04:14 PM   #48
Stampy

Quote:

Alan, unfortunately, if you went to sell the XR8 in a years time, I'd bet that you wouldn't get $25,000 for it. You may be lucky though...

If I went to sell my ute right now, there's no way in hell I'd get $14,000 for it. People would go elsewhere, because they know where to go to get a cheap AU ute.

I know Its the hard truth ,thats why I don't own a BA ,cuz there is no value in tradding mine in , ive got 75,000klm on it and nothink has gone wrong IMO the BA is a better drive but not at the change over price
Old 16-02-2006, 09:57 PM   #49
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by xd5.8l
usually or most of these cheap cars that some of you point out are of very poor quality. They have a chequered past and are far from straight. Panel gaps, especialy the rear quarters in many vehicles I have seen are full of bog.
Mmmmm just my sort of cars!

Too many turbo toys......
2009 FG F6 Nitro LPI LPG 290rwkw on LPG.
2005 BAMKII XR6 Turbo with LPG (ex HWP 255,000k's and counting)
Honda 2001 CR500E Road registered CR500
Honda 1985 CR500 (the one with the arm ripping power)
DT200r regoed Hack
Yamaha IT/YZ 465 Vinduro rocket
Imported IT465 and 490 back up bikes
VF1000R mid 80's racer built by HMR
Honda CR480 Air cooled project road cafe racer.
T88 Turbo XT Falcon project with 351 Cleveland (mothballed)
Plus the rest.

TURBOTAXI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2006, 02:04 PM   #50
DailyDriver

I have seen plenty of AU series 2's & 3's with around 80,000kms selling for under $13K here in SA & they all look to be in good condiotion.

If I wanted to sell mine, I would sell it for $14K...but even then I'd be losing a bit considering what I paid for the car and the bodykit, wheels, alarm....

All Go.......VXSS.....380bhp

All Show...2001 AU2 SR...210bhp...SOLD!
DailyDriver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2006, 02:36 PM   #51
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok that seals it for me. I aint selling the AU. At $13,000 - $16,000 I'd be silly to get rid of it.

I just hope the BA GT's come down to $30,000 in the next year. Then I'll buy one :
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2006, 04:41 PM   #52
Stampy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
Ok that seals it for me. I aint selling the AU. At $13,000 - $16,000 I'd be silly to get rid of it.

I just hope the BA GT's come down to $30,000 in the next year. Then I'll buy one :

Im with you on this one :
Old 17-02-2006, 05:15 PM   #53
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

The longer you keep the car the less the loss is, especially if it is privately owned.
Mine is our company car but cheez depreciation hurts !
I am getting close to upgrade but l am not happy losing 50% or more again.
Second hand is the GO, so many good buys and Bucky GT's are getting lower depends on the k's.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2006, 03:00 AM   #54
flexinau

After reading all comments, the story seems to be that supply of fords are outnumbering the demand due to higher fuel prices.

Since higher fuel prices have inflated the running cost to the masses when driving ford 6's, people do not seem to want to pay that extra fuel cost. For those regular Joe who just need a car to go from A to B, it may have put them off from buying the ford 6s (they would normally have bought a ford 6 otherwise). Any more money on petrol is seen as unnecessary spending, hence the reduction in demand. You guys are now seeing this reduced demand for fords.

Now if either
1) ford was still trying produce and sell the same number of ford 6s and/or
2) people who previously owned a ford 6s are starting to sell their cars for smaller more fuel efficient ones and
3) peolple who would normally have bought a ford 6 now decides to buy a smaller unit,
all the 3 items above combine together to reduce demand and combine this with an overstock of ford 6s. There is then no surprise that the ford's prices have dropped significantly.

Only way for prices to go up is when petrol prices go down or Ford slows the production of ford 6s.

A drastic way to increase prices is to convert the masses to become in love with their fords like us here in this website because then most of the fords will sell regardless of the price of fuel and there wont be any overstock. :-) :-) :-)
flexinau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2006, 03:51 PM   #55
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

The real answer to less Fords (and keeping resale values up) on the road is drop the Had entirely (come on and bite fishies lol) then they would be rare and our 8's would be worth more ROFL....
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2006, 04:41 PM   #56
TCK-098

What i love is that i drive a 6 thatmakes some V8 owners rethink stirring me up the second time.
Old 18-02-2006, 04:57 PM   #57
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

I'm totally with you on that comment krusty ! - even my missus is becoming a bit of a hoon and a ford freak , she allways saying to me (when she driving) "U want me to blow that crummydore away ? " ..lmao
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2006, 10:01 PM   #58
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluedriver
The longer you keep the car the less the loss is, especially if it is privately owned.
Mine is our company car but cheez depreciation hurts !
I am getting close to upgrade but l am not happy losing 50% or more again.
Second hand is the GO, so many good buys and Bucky GT's are getting lower depends on the k's.
I'll give ya 50 bucks for your car. Claim the loss on your taxes :

I'm gonna hangon on to my car for a while. It will get to a point where it's true value is how reliable to car has been to me. We all lose money on cars. Unless they are classics or collectables like the cars of old, we will never see our money again. Maybe this is why most people either lease a car, or they just drive it in the ground.
Old 18-02-2006, 10:08 PM   #59
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Actually, I'm going to put my car to some use. I've recently become involved with a new business who primary line of work is Weddings, Formals and Special Occassions. So now I'm out getting my accreditations and paper work completed, and soon the XR & I will be doing a little public service. Should be fun. All legal too.
Old 19-02-2006, 03:00 PM   #60
ronwest

I was going to auctions for about 6 weeks before I bought my AU3 F/G. I had a budget of $15,000 but when I first went to the auction I wasn't sure that I could get something that I'd like for that sort of money.

It soon became obvious that I'd get a lot more than I thought for less than my budget.

I wasn't particular as long as it was >2000 model Ford or Holden (I prefer the external look of the Commodore but *much* prefer the inside/dash etc of the Falcon).

As a general guide, over that 6 weeks at that auction, 2002 BA XT's were $11,000 - $14,000, 2003 BA XT's = $12,000 - $16,000, 2004 BA XT's = $13,000 - $18,000, 2005 BA XT's $16,000 - $20,000. The higher priced examples were all <40,000kms.

Commodore Execs were generally $1500 - $2500 more expensive for same year/kms.

There was a definite craziness when it came to four cylinders. The most extreme examples that I saw were as 2002 Lancer (looked like a base model) $14,000, and a 2001 Pulsar $14,200!!!

For those who are a little disappointed about their current car's market value, you will be very pleased when it's time to replace it (unless you buy new).