Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-03-2010, 08:52 PM   #1
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default “Speed Camera” ineffectual

Driving down the Gold Coast Highway today and spotted this.
Fortunately I had my camera in the car and couldn’t resist taking the shot.
Guess the equestrian type is of the opinion that these blatant money making devices have no relevance in saving lives, and so, parked his float legally to thwart the picture taking.

Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2010, 09:01 PM   #2
roughnecks
Starter Motor

Are they taking shots from inside the rear?.

I don't care much for speed camera, but if your not speeding you have nothing to worry about i say.
roughnecks is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2010, 09:07 PM   #3
Zed7fiddy
Temporary Australian

i would dare say that the camera can still see out, otherwise the operator would of moved the patrol
Zed7fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2010, 09:10 PM   #4
XR_6falcon

the camera is usually mounted on the front of the car

Smoke tyres, not drugs
XR_6falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2010, 09:17 PM   #5
roughnecks
Starter Motor

Maybe the truck is placed so speeders can't see and react?.
roughnecks is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2010, 09:44 PM   #6
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

or the horse float is the camera?
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2010, 09:47 PM   #7
4.0i_SiX
SiX_iN_a_RoW

The operator does not stay with the vehicle. Theyre left idling for hours at a time, locked up with noone around
Old 18-03-2010, 09:50 PM   #8
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

The Patrols are forward facing out the windscreen, the Mercedes Vito are rear. As far as I have been told, they are manned.
Old 18-03-2010, 10:00 PM   #9
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.0i_SiX
The operator does not stay with the vehicle. Theyre left idling for hours at a time, locked up with noone around
Thats illegal. There's a law against leaving a running vehicle un-attended.

Or is it a case of one set of laws for some and not for others.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2010, 10:04 PM   #10
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
The Patrols are forward facing out the windscreen, the Mercedes Vito are rear. As far as I have been told, they are manned.
They must be manned or they cannot issue a ticket.

If you contest one the officer inside states in court "I noticed the VL turbo driven by Gecko appeared to be exceeding the speed limit and I estimated its speed at 124.6543 km/h. I then confirmed this with the radar and took the piccy" and you are duckpoop.......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2010, 10:06 PM   #11
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
They must be manned or they cannot issue a ticket.

If you contest one the officer inside states in court "I noticed the VL turbo driven by Gecko appeared to be exceeding the speed limit and I estimated its speed at 124.6543 km/h. I then confirmed this with the radar and took the piccy" and you are duckpoop.......
Like I would drive a VL :
Old 18-03-2010, 11:44 PM   #12
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A Patrol STL with bull bar, they must spend more money on these than they do on pursuit cars.

Oh and I actually reckon the camera operator is using the truck to hide his car so he can ping more people.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2010, 12:20 AM   #13
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

They read your speed on the approach and take your photo after you have driven past.

This is so they can catch bikes, which have no rego plate on the front.

Most of the time there is a copper in the van, but hes sleeping. The system is automated after the initial setup routine.

This information comes from a man in the business - my father. Interestingly, he shares the idea that they are just blatant revenue raisers. More so since he got pulled for speeding in a Police car, in full uniform, by a "manned" mobile speed camera, and had to pay the fine.
If you buy a rubbish car, what you are saying is "I have no interest in cars." If you have no interest in cars, you have no interest in driving, and if you have no interest in something, it means you're no good at it, which means you must have your driving license taken away.
388cube_edxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2010, 05:43 AM   #14
Xr8-290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Or is it a case of one set of laws for some and not for others.
Cops followed me one clear night with fog lights and spot light (on roof) fully on, so yes.

, to cops in horse float. That's gotta be an original.
Xr8-290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2010, 06:03 AM   #15
tankclare
BURN RUBBER NOT OIL

some people like to warn other road users I geuss..

[SMOKES] FG XR6 build thread - http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=4795218#post4795218

tankclare is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2010, 08:54 AM   #16
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancidpunx
or the horse float is the camera?
Looks just like the back of a horse. What's the issue here?
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2010, 09:02 AM   #17
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
Like I would drive a VL :
Admit it Gecko. Be open and transperent. This is your wallpaper on your PC/laptop isnt it?

gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2010, 09:09 AM   #18
LTDterri
SY TS Territory

At least it says speed camera on the side of the car, came accross one the other day on an old ED wagon, thanks to the dude who warned me as I approached. There is no type of warning at all down here, I bet the government makes more out of camera's than gambling taxes
LTDterri is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2010, 10:54 AM   #19
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 388cube_edxr8
More so since he got pulled for speeding in a Police car, in full uniform, by a "manned" mobile speed camera, and had to pay the fine.
well, technically, police are not allowed to speed unless they are heading to a scene or pursuing someone. he should have had the flashing lights on..
Old 19-03-2010, 11:04 AM   #20
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
well, technically, police are not allowed to speed unless they are heading to a scene or pursuing someone. he should have had the flashing lights on..

I have spoken to a work mate who used to be a traffic cop on tis one because I used wonder about this too.

Technically they are allowed to exceed the speed limit, as long as it does not put the public at risk, if it is to catch up to a speeding motorists (or some other infringement), if it is to get close enough to get vehicle description and rego without attracting the motorists attention. They are allowed to do this so that they have more of a chance of stopping the motorist and preventing a chase.

Many motorists, on seeing the flashing red and blues in the distance behind them and knowing they have done something wrong, would accelerate and start turning down sides streets. If the cop comes up behind and only hits the lights and siren right behind them, the motorist is more likely to just pull over which in term of public safety is a much safer option than a high speed chase.
Old 19-03-2010, 11:05 AM   #21
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcg2503
Admit it Gecko. Be open and transperent. This is your wallpaper on your PC/laptop isnt it?

You got me, busted!
Old 19-03-2010, 11:11 AM   #22
Wally
XP Coupe

I watched the coppers set up a van in my neighbourhood (bottom of a never had an accident hill, sign placed out of sight) a few months back and unless there was a bloke asleep inside, all the stuanch brothers hopped in a Police Tragic Branch car and drove off, leaving the poor van on it's lonesome. Same with the van they park at Indooroopilly under the shoppingtown off ramp, right opposite the cop shop... no one in attendance and sign obscured by 20Mpa concrete.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post