Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-12-2009, 03:43 PM   #1
Stoney!
Happy Volkswagen owner

Default [Carsales] Fair Trading warns Ford over warranty Issue

Quote:

Fair Trading warns Ford over warranty issue

words - Joshua Dowling
Falcon ute lid complaint an open and shut case

The fineprint on Ford's new-car warranty has come under scrutiny after the NSW Department of Fair Trading last week ordered Ford Australia to fix a problem that the maker claims was not its responsibility.

A disclaimer appearing on Ford's website says about its genuine Falcon ute hard lids: "This accessory is a Supplier Branded Accessory and is not manufactured or warranted by Ford. The warranty is provided by the manufacturer of the accessory. Contact your authorised Ford Dealer for details of the manufacturer's warranty applicable to this accessory."

But the Department of Fair Trading agreed with the customer that the Ford ute accessory (which appears on Ford's website and in Falcon ute brochures) gives the ordinary person the impression that it is a Ford-endorsed product and therefore covered under a Ford warranty.

The customer also says he was not informed by the Ford dealer of the shorter warranty period of the hard lid when he bought the ute brand new.

The Department of Fair Trading ruled that as a factory-endorsed accessory the hard cover should have the same warranty as the rest of the car -- three years or 100,000km, whichever comes first. Not just one year's coverage by a third party supplier, as suggested by Ford.

In the complaint from a Sydney-based Falcon ute owner, the Department of Fair Trading also ruled that the customer could have his vehicle fixed at any Ford dealership, not only the one where he bought the vehicle.

Ford has agreed to fix the customer's faulty hard lid but insisted this was at its "discretion".

"Ford said that under exceptional circumstances they will permit the vehicle being taken to another dealer to have it fixed," the customer, Sydney tradesman Andrew Sholkie told the Carsales Network. "[Ford] have said that it is not available to every customer but the option is there at Ford's discretion and they have agreed that I can take my ute to any dealer to have the cover fixed.

"I am happy that Ford have come to the party but I am not happy that they can choose who is worthy of that choice. I am now taking Ford to the Consumer Tribunal because it was not disclosed at time of purchase that the cover was not covered by Ford warranty.

"I was also told that any aftermarket product that Ford fits to the vehicle must be covered by the full three year warranty offered by Ford -- not just the 12 month warranty given by the manufacturer of that product."

The manufacturer of the hard lid is Brisbane based supplier EGR, which also supplies the Holden ute hard lid. Interestingly, there is no 12-month restriction on the warranty on the Holden website and a check with Holden dealers revealed that Holden ute hard lids are covered by a three-year warranty.

The Carsales Network has been told that there is no difference in the quality or the manufacturing process of the Holden and Ford ute hard lids, but Ford has chosen the warranty coverage to fall under EGR's responsibility.

"I think Ford is just having a lend of some people, it's ridiculous," the customer said. "How many other people out there got the run-around? You do the right thing and buy the genuine accessory and then Ford tries to say it's only got a 12-month warranty. Well what's the advantage of buying a genuine Ford one? There isn't. I wouldn't have bought a Ford hard lid if I knew it only had 12 months warranty on it."

The initial fault was a broken lock on the hard lid. But a dispute between two Sydney dealerships -- the dealership nearest to his work and the other dealership, where he bought the vehicle -- as to who should fix the lock prompted the customer to take his case to the Department of Fair Trading, and this process uncovered the fineprint in Ford's warranty.

The Carsales Network contacted Ford Australia for a comment on this story and is still waiting to hear whether Ford will change the warranty coverage of the Ute hard lids it endorses.
http://www.carsales.com.au/news/2009...ty-issue-17631

Stoney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04redxr8
Holden are kicking the enemy when they are down. Trouble is Ford seems to lay down a lot.
Stoney! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2009, 04:10 PM   #2
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Joshua bloody dowling....how about that. Slow news day? Seriously this guys is a joke.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2009, 04:20 PM   #3
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

It is news, he is reporting the news, that's his job.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:28 PM   #4
Karnage
Finger Painter

Why is it a joke? How many threads are on here about people being given the run around by ford for warranty claims. At least now that people know that Fair Trading have an eye on Ford, they might be able to get some decent service.
Karnage is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2009, 05:20 PM   #5
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just recently i had a battery replaced by ford which was out of warranty to which i am grateful, but it just did'nt seem fair that i can buy a battery off the shelf at a parts supplier and get a 2 year warranty but ford only warrants a battery for 1 yr. Both manufactured by Exide.
Pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2009, 05:28 PM   #6
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

By Fords reckoning they could say the same about an alternator which is supplied by an outside company. Or any other part. Just the thin edge of the wedge IMHO.
Old 08-12-2009, 05:30 PM   #7
LTDterri
SY TS Territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnage
Why is it a joke? How many threads are on here about people being given the run around by ford for warranty claims. At least now that people know that Fair Trading have an eye on Ford, they might be able to get some decent service.
Spot on
LTDterri is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2009, 06:58 PM   #8
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

It just seems like the two dealerships he saw were a bunch of asses. You buy a new car, you'd expect the dealership that you purchased it from to look after you. He also could have taken it to Ford CRC first, not straight to the Department of Fair Trading. Atleast his hard lid is getting fixed though. A friend of mine has a broken lock on his 09 Falcon ute hard lid too, maybe it's a more common fault that Ford doesn't want to pay to fix?
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2009, 07:10 PM   #9
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

This could have gone either way, I can't see that Ford are trying to generally decieve the customer, but it does seem that there is a genuine claim that the hardlid should be fixed under the 3yr warranty. Consider this though, if you buy an after market stereo and that hits itself, your going to go to the manufactuer, not Ford. In this case though it's not hard to determine who is in the wrong, because NSW fair rading has already decided that.
SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2009, 07:26 PM   #10
olfella
Cranky old bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SM1DY
This could have gone either way, I can't see that Ford are trying to generally decieve the customer, but it does seem that there is a genuine claim that the hardlid should be fixed under the 3yr warranty. Consider this though, if you buy an after market stereo and that hits itself, your going to go to the manufactuer, not Ford. In this case though it's not hard to determine who is in the wrong, because NSW fair rading has already decided that.
Ford may not be trying to deceive the customer, HOWEVER they are enhancing their product by selling the product with the car, and therefore maximising their profit. If Ford said go down the road and get a hard top then different story.
Like when I got my car, the dealer said do I want the windows tinted? Sure I said. so with that, I think they implied that if ever I had a problem with it - they would fix it. After all isn't that why we all pay the extra bucks just so it is a one stop shop and they look after you??
Old 08-12-2009, 07:40 PM   #11
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I remember during a dispute with a dealer that Ford CRC claimed my car wasn't theirs (Fords) but the dealers and they had nothing to do with the issues. I used the analogy that I had never bought a "Retravision TV" or a "Harvey Norman TV", but I had bought a Sony TV from both. If there was a warranty claim I expected Sony to be responsible for it because they branded it and took the majority of the cash for it, irrespective of where I lived or what warranty agent I took it to. Why was Ford any different? Silence to that one.

Really time for Ford to step up and take responsibility for the dealer network and themselves. If they don't want to take responsibility for what they sell, then take the Ford badges of the car and let the dealers and third party suppliers badge it whatever they want - in other words make Falcon and Terri OEM products that Ford don't sell or brand under their own name.

One thing is for certain, Ford can't have it both ways and not come out looking bad.

Dan
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2009, 07:46 PM   #12
DJL351
XR & FPV Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by olfella
Like when I got my car, the dealer said do I want the windows tinted? Sure I said. so with that, I think they implied that if ever I had a problem with it - they would fix it. After all isn't that why we all pay the extra bucks just so it is a one stop shop and they look after you??
Ford would not fit the tinting, a third party, on behalf of the Dealer would.

Same would go for, say stripes on an FPV vehicle. Ordered from factory, Ford/FPV would fix any issues with the stripe(s) - like a mark/scratch.
But if you order the vehicle without stripes and get the dealer to fit stripes to it, Ford/FPV don't have to do a thing.

Going back to when I was working for a Dealer, I think I remember Sales Staff telling people that Factory fitted options had the full 3 year warranty cover - where as dealer fitted would only have the manufacturers warranty.

Dealer fitted meant more money in the sales person and/or Dealer's pocket.
Factory meant more for Ford.
2005 BF GT (6sp manual - Build #183)
2015 SZ MkII Territory Titanium
2016.75 LZ Focus Sport

Quote:
probably the stupidist post on aff - congrats
Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
There was once a time when every young man in this country was familiar with firearms and many owned them privately along with a stock of ammo and some bush gear.

Now the best we can hope for is to unfriend them on facebook then SMS their commanders with !!!1!!!!!!11!1!! and then finally plank a tank.......
DJL351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2009, 07:51 PM   #13
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

I say that we email Ford, just to let them know, that this type of behaviour isn't acceptable. In short, they have now given Josh Dowling cannon fodder for months with this. It will most likely stay as a hotlink for ages on their website too.

After the great accolades that the FG Falcon range is getting along with Fiesta, they shoot much of that positive response with this action. Not the best time of the year to be having this in the papers when your advertising your awards.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2009, 08:17 PM   #14
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

So all you guy's are saying is that Holden don't have problems like this? I don't think so, after all a dodgey hinge on a tray cover is nothing compared to the SIDI problems that Holden are going through right now.
cosmo20btt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2009, 08:31 PM   #15
BFYOOT

I had a lock fall straight through my hard lid while i was away from home. Closest ford dealer fixed it no dramas at all, replaced both locks, took them prob half hour. Wonder how many of these problems with the dealerships have something to do with customers attitudes?
BFYOOT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2009, 08:33 PM   #16
olfella
Cranky old bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJL351

Same would go for, say stripes on an FPV vehicle. Ordered from factory, Ford/FPV would fix any issues with the stripe(s) - like a mark/scratch.
But if you order the vehicle without stripes and get the dealer to fit stripes to it, Ford/FPV don't have to do a thing.

Going back to when I was working for a Dealer, I think I remember Sales Staff telling people that Factory fitted options had the full 3 year warranty cover - where as dealer fitted would only have the manufacturers warranty.

Thanks for putting me straight on this one.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:22 PM   #17
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:

But the important question is where the hard cover is fitted, at the dealer or ford? I know when we bought our ute, it came from FPV with the cover in place (our ute was delayed at FPV due to water sealing issues on the 3 piece hard covers). Nor were we ever informed the hard cover had any less than the 3 year warranty. I have to admit I am with the article on this one, it is sold as a manufacturer endorsed enhancement with no notice of lesser warranty, original warranty applies.

The same third party manufacturer supplies covers to holden, with a 3 year warranty. Ford have decided to save some cash and supply only with the 12 months warranty so they pay less for the covers.

By the way, analogy of the aftermarket stereo does not work. Sure you fit a aftermarket stereo you can not expect full vehicle warranty on it. The reason is this not a manufacturer endorsed and supplied accessory, the hard cover is.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:34 PM   #18
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFYOOT
I had a lock fall straight through my hard lid while i was away from home. Closest ford dealer fixed it no dramas at all, replaced both locks, took them prob half hour. Wonder how many of these problems with the dealerships have something to do with customers attitudes?
spot on mate.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2009, 09:12 AM   #19
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Or the dealer's attitude more like. If a dealer is professional the customer's attitude should not really come in to it. But at the end of the day if a dealer's response is governed by customer attitude their staff needs training in how to deal with unreasonable customers.

Could I do it, no, that is why I am not in customer service, same reason that if someone can't put on a happy face when faced with an unreasonable customer they shouldn't be in customer service either.
Old 09-12-2009, 01:16 PM   #20
DJL351
XR & FPV Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
But the important question is where the hard cover is fitted, at the dealer or ford? I know when we bought our ute, it came from FPV with the cover in place (our ute was delayed at FPV due to water sealing issues on the 3 piece hard covers). Nor were we ever informed the hard cover had any less than the 3 year warranty. I have to admit I am with the article on this one, it is sold as a manufacturer endorsed enhancement with no notice of lesser warranty, original warranty applies.

The same third party manufacturer supplies covers to holden, with a 3 year warranty. Ford have decided to save some cash and supply only with the 12 months warranty so they pay less for the covers.

By the way, analogy of the aftermarket stereo does not work. Sure you fit a aftermarket stereo you can not expect full vehicle warranty on it. The reason is this not a manufacturer endorsed and supplied accessory, the hard cover is.
You are right.

My post was more in reply to olfella's post.

In this case, I agree, Ford have dropped the ball regarding the warranty length - however, the story does not mention all the details related to this 'issue'. Did the hard cover leave the production line with this hard cover fitted? Or was it added by the dealer prior to sale?

As I stated, if it was fitted at the dealer,then it should have been replaced/fixed by that dealer.
(to use part of DanielXR8's post - if you buy a TV from JB HiFi, will Hardly Normal repair it for you if it breaks under warranty?)
2005 BF GT (6sp manual - Build #183)
2015 SZ MkII Territory Titanium
2016.75 LZ Focus Sport

Quote:
probably the stupidist post on aff - congrats
Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
There was once a time when every young man in this country was familiar with firearms and many owned them privately along with a stock of ammo and some bush gear.

Now the best we can hope for is to unfriend them on facebook then SMS their commanders with !!!1!!!!!!11!1!! and then finally plank a tank.......
DJL351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2009, 01:45 PM   #21
FalconXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Unfortunately it's a fair article.

Doen't mean we should hate Joshua Dowling and less though...
FalconXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2009, 02:41 PM   #22
Karnage
Finger Painter

Lets not take this out of perspective. The hardlid is a box you can tick when ordering from the factory. Paint protection window tint etc is an option you tick at the dealer.
If Fair trading didn't uphold this what would be next, sorry mate your car is 13 months old, you'll have to contact PBR about those leaking brakes, or Mitibishi electric about that alternator or the diff supplier about your faulty diff.
Karnage is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2009, 06:59 PM   #23
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If I paid Ford to fit a product (dealer fitted accessory) and I had issues with it, I'd expect them to remedy it under warranty. If I wanted to deal with a 3rd party, I'd buy it direct from them in the first place and probably pay less as well!
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2009, 10:36 PM   #24
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
You are right.

As I stated, if it was fitted at the dealer,then it should have been replaced/fixed by that dealer.
(to use part of DanielXR8's post - if you buy a TV from JB HiFi, will Hardly Normal repair it for you if it breaks under warranty?)

I know what you are saying but I have to disagree. When I go to a Ford dealer and buy a Ford vehicle, with a Ford original accessory, any member of the Ford dealer chain should look after warranty issues on that product.

Otherwise, imagine I buy a Super Pursuit with three piece hard cover in Brisbane, 6 months later I move to Perth with the ute. Then the lock breaks on the hard cover, do I have to return it to the Brisbane dealer for after sales care on a Ford authorised and fitted accessory? Of course I don't, if I did I would think long and hard before buying Ford again.

Dealers do not provide the warranty or fund the repairs, Ford do, but the dealer is the factory authorised repair centre. JB Hi Fi and Harvey Norman are not the authorised repair centre, they send it to the repair centre. I bet Harvey Norman would give you contact details for the repair centre though.

Example, I buy a ASUS lap top in Brisbane from a Franchise that operates in the eastern states only. This lap top has an ASUS authorised RAM upgrade fitted as part of the sale and fitted in the tech section of the store. I then move to Perth and within the warranty period the lap top fails. I can not take back to thore store I bought from. I call the manufacturer and they send me to my nearest service centre for assessment and repair, easy. If they find it was the RAM upgrade that was fitted at the time of sale, they replace it. Ford send the customer to the nearest service centre for assessment and repair, this is any ford dealer.
Old 15-12-2009, 04:57 PM   #25
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconXR6
Unfortunately it's a fair article.

Doen't mean we should hate Joshua Dowling and less though...
For the most part...i agree.

Ford need a good kick up the @rse in regards to warranty
Old 15-12-2009, 05:44 PM   #26
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

warranty is always a touchy subject, and im divided on both sides of this argument.

your computer you are sitting in front of has 12mths manufacturers warranty (unless extended), you add on a canon printer ..... should that be covered by HP who made your computer? or i guess in a fairer argument, you got a logitech keyboard, not as clearly marked or noticeable as a canon printer but NOT HP nonetheless, are we still playing the same cards?

DID YOU KNOW, ALL consumer goods except for cars (AFAIK) have a DOA (dead on arrival) period? a point in which you can return the goods for an exchange, refunded or replacement....... its in your "user manual"

YOUR BRAND NEW CAR also has a "user manual" which also states what is covered by warranty and what is not..... the law doesnt except ignorance as an excuse why should this case be any different?

must we (as salespeople) now remind customers to put unleaded fuel in not diesel in your car, preferrably before the fuel light comes on or before the needle hits the E

yes this is different to what was said above, but is it? warranty is always something neglected until something goes wrong...... i know i sell them..... no i wont worry about the warranty...... oh but you WILL ....... youll cry and carry on and blame me

i think its about time everyone takes responsibility for them selves

Ford if anything should have arranged for warranty on the hardlid with the respective manufacturer - BUT that is it

i get fired up about this sort of BS

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2009, 08:09 PM   #27
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Joshua bloody dowling....how about that. Slow news day? Seriously this guys is a joke.
If you have a look at Ford's warranty certain things will be covered only till 50,000k's.....like brake shudder.