Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-06-2012, 10:50 AM   #1
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 
Default [Unofficial] First Drive: 2013 Cadillac ATS

Is this more like the sort of vehicle Holden and Ford should be building in Australia?

Quote:
Article on gminsidenews.com.

For years, many brands have tried to dethrone the BMW 3-Series to become the king of sports sedans, The General’s
own Cadillac included. And while the current Cadillac CTS is a valiant effort, it falls short in many categories, and with
a new 3-Series launching now – it was back to the drawing board for Cadillac. At the drawing board, a set of General
Motors’ best were selected to design a whole new rear-wheel drive architecture with nimbleness, agility and a high
fun-to-drive factor being their main goals. The result was the Alpha platform, with the Cadillac ATS being the first
product to reach gestation from the new innards. Cadillac engineers designed the new baby Caddy to be nearly
identical in size to the 3-Series, a departure from the “more for less” packaging Cadillac offered with the CTS.

Cadillac wasted little time in getting the ATS ready, going to tracks all over the world, including Germany’s famed
Nürburgring in order to calibrate the car as best as possible. The car was tested and driven hard on the ‘Ring and
could be seen in teaser videos released by Cadillac known as “ATS: The Journey.”

When revealed at the 2012 North American International Auto Show in Detroit, the new ATS surprised many people,
including many German auto enthusiasts who swore loyalty to BMW, Audi and Mercedes. Its light weight of under 3,400
pounds promised nimble handling and agility; the 2.0-turbo producing 272 horsepower, outclassing the new Bimmer’s
240 horsepower. The 321 horsepower provided by the 3.6-liter V-6 was said to propel the ATS from naught to sixty in well
under six seconds, so the Cadillac ATS, on paper at least, has all the credentials to be a valid 3-Series fighter from Cadillac.

On the exterior, the Cadillac ATS is a stunner. A midnight chrome accented egg crate grille with a prominent
Cadillac wreath and crest greets the driver as they walk up to ATS, as do standard projector beam headlamps,
with Xenon bulbs standard on higher trims. Naturally Cadillac’s signature vertical LED accent lighting, which is standard
on Performance and Premium Collection ATS’s only, is also in tow. A long, chiseled hood with a generous dash-to-axle
ratio leads the eyes to the doors, which feature subtle sculpting and a character line that runs from the front wheel arch
all the way to the vertical tail lights. The ATS sits on standard 17-inch wheels, with 18-inch wheels optional. The rear of
the ATS is uniquely Cadillac, with signature vertical taillights and a boomerang center high mount stop lamp functioning
as both a third tail light and a fuel economy boosting spoiler.

The interior of the Cadillac ATS is a pleasant place to be. Materials are best in class, and the overall design is both luxurious
and bold at the same time. The interior greets occupants when they first open the door with a leather wrapped dashboard,
real wood, metal, or carbon fiber accents, and Cadillac’s signature CUE, or Cadillac User Experience system. Seats are all-day
comfortable and, although thin, provide generous support for all parts of the body. The steering wheel is perfectly matched
with the interior, and is just the right size for a comfortable and confident grip. Standard interior features include a fully
capacitive-touch center stack topped by a large high-resolution touch screen, with CUE available. Leatherette seats are
also standard, while supple leather with memory and heat are available as an option. Interior dimensions are on the smaller
side, but not once did the ATS’ cabin feel claustrophobic. In fact, front seat head and legroom seems to be on par with
larger sedans. Rear legroom and headroom is not the ATS’ driving point, but is adequate for two people. While the ATS’
trunk seems miniscule on paper, it is laid out very well and is deep enough to swallow a moderately sized suitcase.

What good is a sports sedan if it is not fun to drive? All ATS models come standard with electric power assisted steering,
which many enthusiasts have a grudge against. The ATS’ system is quite possibly the best system to ever come out of
General Motors, which means yes, it outclasses the Camaro and even Cadillac’s own CTS-V by providing perfectly weighted,
responsive steering with good driver feedback for a feeling of “oneness” with the car. The ATS also boasts
Cadillac’s Magnetic Ride Control, which can read and adjust the car’s suspension components up to 1,000 times per second.
Throttle tip in is excellent, and feels very German, with a nicely balanced accelerator requiring just the right amount of
pressure to move the ATS. Body roll is minimal and well controlled, with balance seemingly unaffected by powertrain choice,
and the chassis inspires the driver to push the car harder, and is far from jittery, even when driven hard on cars without MRC.

The standard 2.5-liter produces adequate power and is sufficient for the majority of ATS buyers with plenty of refinement,
making smooth power all the way to the near 7,000 RPM redline. The 2.0-turbo was not available to drive since it is
still being calibrated for final production tuning.

The range topping 3.6-liter V-6 is a truly impressive motor when paired to the ATS. Not only is it fast, it is refined,
quiet and linear in terms of power delivery. The ATS 3.6, when hammered from a stop, throws you back in
your seat and pulls hard all the way to 7,000 RPM, with a healthy kick at around 5,000 RPM. The 0-60 estimate of
well under six seconds seems accurate, and may even be underestimated. To stop the ATS, available
Brembo brakes are called to duty and stop the ATS with authority under a smooth, linear braking motion felt both in
the car itself and through brake pedal.

Even though the ATS is a light car, it still feels solid. Road and wind noise are impressively hushed, and ride quality is
just right, with a not-too-hard, not-too-soft feel even with the optional 18-inch low profile rubber. Bumps and road
imperfections are soaked up by ATS’ multi-link, double-pivot MacPherson strut front suspension with direct-acting
stabilizer bar and standard five-link independent rear suspension out back. All-wheel drive is available on 2.0-turbo
and 3.6-liter equipped ATS', while the 2.5-liter is available only in rear-wheel drive configuration. Standard on
ATS is Cadillac’s familiar six speed automatic transmission, which does not seem to suffer from the awkward
‘gear-hunting’ behavior many others in the General’s fleet tend to exhibit. A six speed manual transmission
is offered as well, but only on rear-wheel drive, 2.0-turbo equipped ATS models.

We already knew the ATS had the goods to be a formidable competitor on paper. After driving it, it appears that
GM's dream team managed to churn out a car that does not just look good on paper, but also performs like its
spec sheet suggests it should. The ATS has all the goods and grandeur to dethrone the 3-Series. However
Cadillac’s fate rests on whether or not people will accept this new entry into the entry-level luxury car market,
which is the most contested segment in the luxury automobile market. Regardless, for the first time ever,
Cadillac has a legitimate compact luxury sedan.

jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2012, 10:56 AM   #2
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: [Unofficial] First Drive: 2013 Cadillac ATS

I would be more interested in the 2.0 turbo or 2.0 diesel that is supposedly coming out. But for $40k, I can get a Silverado, so I wouldn't look at it for very long.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2012, 11:16 AM   #3
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
I would be more interested in the 2.0 turbo or 2.0 diesel that is supposedly coming out. But for $40k, I can get a Silverado, so I wouldn't look at it for very long.
Too literal and ATS starts at $33,00

What about a Chevrolet or Holden variation positioned between the current small and mid sized cars?
let's say a chev that kicks of at $20K and Holden that kicks off at $25K for the 2.5 I-4,
a V6 for say $3,000 or $4,000 more...quite a nice pocket rocket I'd imagine..
Old 24-06-2012, 11:22 AM   #4
Pandemic

I wouldn't mind seeing that car on Australian roads, looks really nice. Is it supposed to be a luxury-classed car?
Pandemic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2012, 12:07 PM   #5
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Too literal and ATS starts at $33,00

What about a Chevrolet or Holden variation positioned between the current small and mid sized cars?
let's say a chev that kicks of at $20K and Holden that kicks off at $25K for the 2.5 I-4,
a V6 for say $3,000 or $4,000 more...quite a nice pocket rocket I'd imagine..
I like the ATS, but I just looked at a new Sonata (i45) SE 2.0T (EcoBoost technology but with 270Hp / 200kw). $22k for a brand new 2013! Sure, it's FWD, but at that price, I don't care! It has 6 speed auto with flappy-paddles, and something kind of like GM's OnStar. Heated front seats, BlueTooth audio, iPod input, all that stuff. - The only thing that it misses out from an ATS is RWD, leather and woodgrain. Leather is a $3k option on the Sonata. (Actually, I am sure there is more to the ATS, it's a lovely car, but I am on a budget!). The money I save on that, I will just put towards my next diesel truck! But yeah, I wouldn't consider an ATS with an NA 4 cyl, so put it up a few more thousand than $33k. An ATS-V with a turbo V6 would be good, but not cheap either I am sure.

Last edited by chevypower; 24-06-2012 at 12:20 PM.
Old 24-06-2012, 12:55 PM   #6
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
I like the ATS, but I just looked at a new Sonata (i45) SE 2.0T (EcoBoost technology but with 270Hp / 200kw). $22k for a brand new 2013! Sure, it's FWD, but at that price, I don't care! It has 6 speed auto with flappy-paddles, and something kind of like GM's OnStar. Heated front seats, BlueTooth audio, iPod input, all that stuff. - The only thing that it misses out from an ATS is RWD, leather and woodgrain. Leather is a $3k option on the Sonata. (Actually, I am sure there is more to the ATS, it's a lovely car, but I am on a budget!). The money I save on that, I will just put towards my next diesel truck! But yeah, I wouldn't consider an ATS with an NA 4 cyl, so put it up a few more thousand than $33k. An ATS-V with a turbo V6 would be good, but not cheap either I am sure.
Kia Optima is the better car over the I45, more equipment.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2012, 01:02 PM   #7
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Kia Optima is the better car over the I45, more equipment.
Yeah, it's good too, but didn't like the look of it as much. Same car underneath the skin though, same great warranty. I think the Optima had full-leather, whereas the equivalent Sonata had part-leather, part-cloth

http://www.kengarffhyundai.com/Vehic...-UT/1778073543

Also couldn't find an Optima for as good of a deal as this.
Old 24-06-2012, 01:04 PM   #8
Rodge
Banned

I wouldn't mind seeing this sort of car here. Whether its a BMW 3 beater I seriously doubt but competition is always a good thing.
3 Series has the world class ZF 8 speed gearbox as standard kit, (world first for a car of this class), which is light years ahead of anything GM have in their cars. I'd imagine its a similar story for many other aspects of the car.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2012, 01:07 PM   #9
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge
I wouldn't mind seeing this sort of car here. Whether its a BMW 3 beater I seriously doubt but competition is always a good thing.
3 Series has the world class ZF 8 speed gearbox as standard kit, (world first for a car of this class), which is light years ahead of anything GM have in their cars. I'd imagine its a similar story for many other aspects of the car.
I've never liked the GM 6 speed. I thought the old 4 speed felt smoother. On the diesel trucks, they outsource to Allison, which shift much better.
Old 24-06-2012, 02:11 PM   #10
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Front of that Caddy lookes like the love child of about 4 different cars...

Caprice, that import Skyline, Merc E63, Aurion...

Don't mind the front.. lights don't sit right with me however...

Back... not a fan..

Man you guys get new cars CHEAP there Chevy!!!

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2012, 03:35 PM   #11
Tysonv48
Fairlane Ute

Isn't Cadillac made by gm anyway so it would be simular to the ve caprice might even be the next Holden luxury
Tysonv48 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2012, 03:49 PM   #12
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tysonv48
Isn't Cadillac made by gm anyway so it would be simular to the ve caprice might even be the next Holden luxury
This one is the baby of the fleet, the ATS is only slightly bigger inside than a Cruze....
Old 24-06-2012, 04:16 PM   #13
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

some how it reminds me of the cruise in the front and the 300 c in the back.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2012, 06:26 PM   #14
Till_Lind
E-series fan

What an ****.
Old 24-06-2012, 06:36 PM   #15
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

From the front, its quite nice...the rear end though...not so.

That interior though, is quite possibly one of the nicest i've seen in a modern american car.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2012, 06:46 PM   #16
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Still, I can imagine an updated version of TT36 top hat on that structure or at least,
something more pleasing to the eye with more generous internal space.

Cadillac looks like a Commodore that's had it headlights twisted 90 degrees and a swift kick up the bum..
Some would call that improvement of the breed but to me, it's like peeling onions, hard on the eyes and nose..

Last edited by jpd80; 24-06-2012 at 06:53 PM.
Old 24-06-2012, 09:53 PM   #17
Chopped
as in chopped

I reckon it looks pretty good.

Rotating view > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxrDOfXAlYc