Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 19-06-2014, 01:24 PM   #1
mytgxl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default FIFO advice

Hi to one & all! I`m looking for any work in Newcastle area preferably but finding it hard at the moment! my question is does anyone have some advice on picking up some fly in fly out work? I have no experience in this area, Or a job would be even better! Any help would be appreciated thanks in advance. Paul.

Old 19-06-2014, 05:27 PM   #2
Motorbreath310

Default Re: FIFO advice

What sort of experience do you have? Whatever the answer to that question; pretty much everyone's doing it tough at the moment. Even if you got some mining work, depending where/what it is, the pay rates aren't what they used to be.

I heard Wongawilli mine in the Illawarra has recently lost 200-odd people because they wanted to pay the workers an hourly rate somewhere in the 20's. Before that, workers for the company that owns said mine weren't being paid at all. There's also a rumour going around at the moment that one of the larger mines in that area is soon to be scrapping all of it's contractors as well as some permanent staff. This is all for underground coal mining, mind you. Not sure what copper and iron ore are doing.

Xstrata were advertising for people at Ulan not long ago, based out of Mudgee.
Motorbreath310 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2014, 05:33 PM   #3
05_ENFORCER

SFA going on out there atm, very slim pickings.

If you have experience, say 1-2 yrs, consider moving to the Pilbara of W.A or NTH QLD.

If you need a job and want to be paid peanuts, consider NZ.

Coupla new mines starting up in W.A in the next 6-12 months, I also heard of a new mine startup in S.A shortly pending approvals.

Old 19-06-2014, 06:14 PM   #4
Stazza_Brendan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nothing up here in northern qld.
Unless your ticketed, experienced, pay your own flights, transport yourself to site and also get $25 an hour.
ZF - Optioned interior - Hardlid - Rapidsystems V4.5 kit - GTX3576R - Crow Cams Valve springs - 1000cc KPM injectors - 20" MC Racing Wheels - DashDaq/Cobalt Gauges - 4in dump/3.5in exhaust system - Shockworks Coilovers - 30mm Swaybar - Shockworks 4pot 355mm front brakes - GT R-spec rear brakes
CPV Tuned to 340rwkw
Stazza_Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2014, 06:22 PM   #5
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

I thought this was about "First In First Out".
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2014, 06:25 PM   #6
Gambit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorbreath310 View Post
There's also a rumour going around at the moment that one of the larger mines in that area is soon to be scrapping all of it's contractors as well as some permanent staff.
Is this at Mt Arthur? There seems to be a few rumours going around about a few places atm

69 Camaro, ls1, t56 htv2300 slowly being built

Build thread - http://www.usmuscle.com.au/Forum/showthread.php?t=12534
Gambit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2014, 06:35 PM   #7
Motorbreath310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambit View Post
Is this at Mt Arthur? There seems to be a few rumours going around about a few places atm
Nah that was in reference to Appin, down Wollongong way.

And yup, the rumour mill's been churning out at max capacity as of late. Even by mining standards.
Motorbreath310 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 19-06-2014, 07:46 PM   #8
351buzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stazza_Brendan View Post
Nothing up here in northern qld.
Unless your ticketed, experienced, pay your own flights, transport yourself to site and also get $25 an hour.
far out. I was ummin and ahhing about a year ago when my mate was talkin about all expenses paid and 60 something an hr.
351buzz is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2014, 07:51 PM   #9
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351buzz View Post
far out. I was ummin and ahhing about a year ago when my mate was talkin about all expenses paid and 60 something an hr.
Long gone. Bloke I know has been an operator in the mines for years. Could chop and change jobs anytime he wanted. Was getting $55.00 an hour FIFO. Left his last job for a months break. Took 6 months to find another job in NT only this time $35 an hour and pay for his own flights in and out..........
Old 19-06-2014, 08:12 PM   #10
mytgxl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is not good news guys! any one need help re building there cars! lol have plenty of experience in that area!
Old 20-06-2014, 07:46 AM   #11
Stazza_Brendan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Problem 2 years ago up here was it was hard to get experienced people. And then keeping them.So the rates went up to entice people.
Now with the downturn and redundancies/downsizing there's a heap of blokes sitting at home.
I'm grateful I got to stay in my job considering when my pit had redundancies I hadn't been there that long.
ZF - Optioned interior - Hardlid - Rapidsystems V4.5 kit - GTX3576R - Crow Cams Valve springs - 1000cc KPM injectors - 20" MC Racing Wheels - DashDaq/Cobalt Gauges - 4in dump/3.5in exhaust system - Shockworks Coilovers - 30mm Swaybar - Shockworks 4pot 355mm front brakes - GT R-spec rear brakes
CPV Tuned to 340rwkw
Stazza_Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2014, 08:30 PM   #12
dirtyclevo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05_ENFORCER View Post
SFA going on out there atm, very slim pickings.

If you have experience, say 1-2 yrs, consider moving to the Pilbara of W.A or NTH QLD.

If you need a job and want to be paid peanuts, consider NZ.

Coupla new mines starting up in W.A in the next 6-12 months, I also heard of a new mine startup in S.A shortly pending approvals.

you have to remember not everyone works in the mines, or they dont want to. money isnt everything.

on New Zealand! Have you been talking to kiwi's? about the wages they got in nz, they over exaggerate how bad the pay was.

they tell you the wage after they converted the wage they were getting in nz to australian dollars, and then knock off a few dollars for a rant.

Im a mechanic. i was working in wellington in 2008 on $29 /hr. its not the "best" but it was pretty good.

only drop kicks over there were on minimum wage. doing brainless jobs. the brainless jobs dried up in nz, and thats why all the brainless kiwi's have moved over here. to work in brainless bottom feeder jobs.

its not uncommon to find a good paying job in nz. but you need a trade or degree etc.
dirtyclevo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2014, 08:42 PM   #13
05_ENFORCER

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyclevo View Post
you have to remember not everyone works in the mines, or they dont want to. money isnt everything.

on New Zealand! Have you been talking to kiwi's? about the wages they got in nz, they over exaggerate how bad the pay was.

they tell you the wage after they converted the wage they were getting in nz to australian dollars, and then knock off a few dollars for a rant.

Im a mechanic. i was working in wellington in 2008 on $29 /hr. its not the "best" but it was pretty good.

only drop kicks over there were on minimum wage. doing brainless jobs. the brainless jobs dried up in nz, and thats why all the brainless kiwi's have moved over here. to work in brainless bottom feeder jobs.

its not uncommon to find a good paying job in nz. but you need a trade or degree etc.

I am well versed on the NZ work front and the current rebuilding opportunities Cuz

Haere rā

Old 20-06-2014, 09:48 PM   #14
351buzz

well, well, well, things have changed for me then.

Last year I was a lazy, slack arsed, hermit, that couldn't even be enticed with 60 something an hour. a real loser.

today I'm the loyal company-man, that wouldn't leave his boss in the lurch for love nor money. a real loser..

might have to hit the boss up for a raise.
351buzz is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2014, 10:10 PM   #15
HULK_I6T
Banned

I was over in the pilbra a few years back. I was only there for a week on a very specific work assignment..

From what I saw....

Yes people were being paid very well. Very very well.

It was something like 14 days on and 10 days off. Fly in fly out. I met plenty of people from Sydney and Brisbane/melbourne, people trying to make some quick money. I think flights were also paid and allowances for accomodation. Plenty told me it was an 18 month idea for them to pursue. Some squirrel away money and get the heck out of there as soon as they have enough cash saved up, others blow their money on booze and hookers and never leave.

However rents were very very steep. To rent a place was like $1500+ per week!! So people would share and stay 2-3 blokes per caravan, sleeping on the floor to save money.

There was absolutely nothing to do, nothing to do.. People just drink themselves silly every day after work. I stayed in my hotel as I was told it gets very dangerous at night.

People are away from their families or sometimes by themselves so you will be surprised at how many bordelos are up there. They know the men have plenty money and nowhere else to spend it.

It was also sad to hear what happens in the indigenous communities out there. It was very us and them. I didn't think australia was like that, but very shocked and saddened at the divide.

If you want to make some money quickly go but you will have a pretty crappy time over there.

Last edited by HULK_I6T; 20-06-2014 at 10:17 PM.
HULK_I6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2014, 01:42 PM   #16
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_I6T View Post
I was over in the pilbra a few years back. I was only there for a week on a very specific work assignment..

From what I saw....

Yes people were being paid very well. Very very well.

It was something like 14 days on and 10 days off. Fly in fly out. I met plenty of people from Sydney and Brisbane/melbourne, people trying to make some quick money. I think flights were also paid and allowances for accomodation. Plenty told me it was an 18 month idea for them to pursue. Some squirrel away money and get the heck out of there as soon as they have enough cash saved up, others blow their money on booze and hookers and never leave.

However rents were very very steep. To rent a place was like $1500+ per week!! So people would share and stay 2-3 blokes per caravan, sleeping on the floor to save money.

There was absolutely nothing to do, nothing to do.. People just drink themselves silly every day after work. I stayed in my hotel as I was told it gets very dangerous at night.

People are away from their families or sometimes by themselves so you will be surprised at how many bordelos are up there. They know the men have plenty money and nowhere else to spend it.

It was also sad to hear what happens in the indigenous communities out there. It was very us and them. I didn't think australia was like that, but very shocked and saddened at the divide.

If you want to make some money quickly go but you will have a pretty crappy time over there.
Grog is the key with our indigenous brothers, I went from Newman WA which was pretty much a free for all ( no heavy beer etc after 8pm) was a bloody shambles and seen some pretty mad ****

To Gove NT where there was restrictions in place, photo of for purchase etc (yea you still had the odd ratbag but)

Totally different town, clean town, with beautiful proud people
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2014, 11:19 AM   #17
ray38l

there's still money in fifo in W.A. my girlfriend just got a job there $50 an hour cleaning and her brother is at the same site as a tyre fitter on $56 an hour. they both work 2weeks on 1 week off. they have to pay there airfare to Perth and from there the flight to the site, food and accommodation are all paid for.
ray38l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2014, 02:22 PM   #18
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No, No, like Hulk says it's all terrible here in WA.
There is nothing to do, unless you happen to like boating, sailing, fishing, off-roading, camping, motorbikes, cars, racing, BBQs, football, basketball, rugby, or cheap holidays to Asia.
FFS stay away.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 22-06-2014, 06:42 PM   #19
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
No, No, like Hulk says it's all terrible here in WA.
There is nothing to do, unless you happen to like boating, sailing, fishing, off-roading, camping, motorbikes, cars, racing, BBQs, football, basketball, rugby, or cheap holidays to Asia.
FFS stay away.
LOL nice one! How could you ever be bored making good money like this and having lots of hobbies to spend ur money on.
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2014, 06:48 PM   #20
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just had a look on seek.com.au for diesel mechanic jobs in northern W.A and ther is bugger all advertised.....

Whats the best way to find/get jobs in the mines is it all done online???
Old 22-06-2014, 07:00 PM   #21
05_ENFORCER

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF_6 View Post
I just had a look on seek.com.au for diesel mechanic jobs in northern W.A and ther is bugger all advertised.....

Whats the best way to find/get jobs in the mines is it all done online???
You are doing it right now.

There is bugger all in W.A mining, all gone, shut up shop, too late.

Oil and gas is the way forward.............................

Old 22-06-2014, 07:13 PM   #22
FlipXW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I'm an electrician and I have just applied for the Curtis island LNG project in Gladstone QLD. Really hoping to get a start as I have a couple of mates that are working there and they are earning bucket loads.
FlipXW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2014, 07:17 PM   #23
05_ENFORCER

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipXW View Post
I'm an electrician and I have just applied for the Curtis island LNG project in Gladstone QLD. Really hoping to get a start as I have a couple of mates that are working there and they are earning bucket loads.
Mate, I wish you all the best.
If you want to send me your resume I'll see if I can take you on my next new posting in W.A if you have the electrical qualities I need for a new undeveloped open cut mine. (No guarantee) (No paid FIFO from E.S, local only)

Old 22-06-2014, 07:26 PM   #24
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

O.k so how would a diesel mechanic make his way into oil and gas???
Old 22-06-2014, 07:30 PM   #25
05_ENFORCER

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF_6 View Post
O.k so how would a diesel mechanic make his way into oil and gas???
Motorman on an expo rig............or start at the bottom as a roughneck......

Old 22-06-2014, 07:35 PM   #26
FlipXW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Mate, I wish you all the best.
If you want to send me your resume I'll see if I can take you on my next new posting in W.A if you have the electrical qualities I need for a new undeveloped open cut mine. (No guarantee) (No paid FIFO from E.S, local only)

Thanks mate, yeah that would be awesome. Im in my 6th year in the industry, 4 as an apprentice and into my second as a tradesman. I work commercial/industrial projects and have my nsw supervisors electrical licence. What qualifications would I need for WA and that specific role?
Old 22-06-2014, 07:52 PM   #27
05_ENFORCER

Quote:
Thanks mate, yeah that would be awesome. Im in my 6th year in the industry, 4 as an apprentice and into my second as a tradesman. I work commercial/industrial projects and have my nsw supervisors electrical licence. What qualifications would I need for WA and that specific role?
If you are prepared to work for peanuts, relocate for a minimum 12 month contract and have a W.A license, Instrumentation, PLC and motor drive fault finding and maintenance experience, along with confined space, high voltage switching and working at heights, you MAY get a look in.

As I said before, it is tight out there atm and a lot of "locals" are out of work.

Old 22-06-2014, 07:58 PM   #28
FlipXW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
If you are prepared to work for peanuts, relocate for a minimum 12 month contract and have a W.A license, Instrumentation, PLC and motor drive fault finding and maintenance experience, along with confined space, high voltage switching and working at heights, you MAY get a look in.

As I said before, it is tight out there atm and a lot of "locals" are out of work.

Yeah no worries mate. Im from Newcastle and im currently employed in a fairly secure job (same company for 6 years), on $33 an hour with occasional overtime so im not desperate for work. Its more a case of chasing the good money and just for a bit of a change. Cheers anyway I appreciate it.
Old 22-06-2014, 08:02 PM   #29
05_ENFORCER

Quote:
Yeah no worries mate. Im from Newcastle and im currently employed in a fairly secure job (same company for 6 years), on $33 an hour with occasional overtime so im not desperate for work. Its more a case of chasing the good money and just for a bit of a change. Cheers anyway I appreciate it.
Give it 1.5-2 years over here and it will pick up.

We have had a big slump in construction and the processing salaries have hit the wall on the new jobs.

Old 22-06-2014, 08:27 PM   #30
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Dont quit your present job you are on a good pay rate.....I would not risk changing jobs in these harsh times.
4 users like this post: