Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-01-2012, 11:02 AM   #1
[Buckets]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Anyone see this on ACA?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbGSLFAwbig

Feel bad for the GT owner.

I'm confused though, if all of these mods are illegal then how can businesses sell and fit them? Or does it just need an engineers cert to be street legal? I'm confused now.

[Buckets] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 11:06 AM   #2
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Anyone see this on ACA?

These kind of articles really cheese me off. They focus on a few nicely presented cars being driven sensibly, yet ignore the hundreds of rubbish bozes with bald tyres and worn out brakes. As for the filter being a hazard to pedestrians, how about bullbars, or the lights on the roof of the police car, or mercedes emblems on the bonnet?
Is it any wonder why we have respect for the law when it is stupid and deliberately targets those who are not affecting anyone else?
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 11:09 AM   #3
XRtowcar
Mustang GT mmmmmm......

I guess if the car isn't built to engineers standards, it shouldn't be on the road.
They didn't say dont mod your car, just do it as per the regulations.
Old 25-01-2012, 11:16 AM   #4
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRtowcar
I guess if the car isn't built to engineers standards, it shouldn't be on the road.
That was not the focus of the story - it was how police are getting tough with hoons, then used a few modified cars to make their point on what is being done to get rid of the anti-social behaviour. Even cars with legal modifications are often subject to targetted inspections and even outright harassment by some police.
None of this helps the public, who will still hear crapboxes doing skids at intersections, and us who modify our cars for our own pleasure (but do not encourage hooning)
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 11:26 AM   #5
TZENU
XY Driv3r

He didn't do himself any favours by saying that he did a burnout the other day at a wedding....
Old 25-01-2012, 12:13 PM   #6
|Nate
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you had scrolled down a little on the Pub page you would see that this has already been posted and closed, but nevertheless the actions of those individuals didn't help the car enthusiast scene.

Neither does the silly fear mongering dribble coming from the mouth of the narrator and Tracy Grimshaw.

Now that that story has been aired, there's nothing we can do but act maturely when we take our pride and joys out, and prove to people first hand what car enthusiasm is all about.
|Nate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 12:31 PM   #7
FG_Frodza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRtowcar
This.

Modify your car within the law, if you are going to do illegal mods and take the risk, don't blame the coppers for doing their job when you get pulled over..
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=4150126
FG_Frodza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 12:40 PM   #8
Zedjay
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you guys seen this one???

http://au.news.yahoo.com/today-tonig...hoon-epidemic/

wouldnt like to be this young bloke lol
Zedjay is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 01:02 PM   #9
Alby1
you'd be popular too

Does this mean we car "hoons" should vigilantie style record the everyday .....boxes blowing clouds of blue smoke everywhere they drive, or the cars covered in rust waiting for panels to drop off down the freeway, or even the cars with 4 bald tyres, not just 2.

Yes we have the potential to go faster i suppose or may be running a little rich, wow our windows might even be a little dark, but at least we have glass, not some bit of plastic taped on because your too lazy to get it fixed

E303 cam, ported gt40p heads, 1.7 rockers, high flow cats, Au220 TB, 70mm Maf, tune (215rwkw) and some bigger brakes

Have now brought my car to the 2000's with electric rear windows, door lights and wood trims
Alby1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 01:11 PM   #10
XYGTHO
FORD FREAK

I'm with GPT Owner it really ****ed me off. Yer the guy was an idiot talking about doing the burnouts, pretty stupid saying that. Would probably be legal with a scoop over the aircleaner but how does that change anything?
Old 25-01-2012, 01:20 PM   #11
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Two options:
1. Drive a stock, "fast looking" car (eg. Mustang fastback, Falcon coupe, etc).
2. Drive a modified, "slow looking" car (eg. beige, XA Falcon 500 four-door with twin-turbo'd 351, etc all under the bonnet and super quiet with painted steel wheels).

You can't drive an actual fast, "fast looking" car anymore .. too much negative attention even if you aren't doing anything wrong.
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 01:21 PM   #12
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP owner
These kind of articles really cheese me off. They focus on a few nicely presented cars being driven sensibly, yet ignore the hundreds of rubbish bozes with bald tyres and worn out brakes. As for the filter being a hazard to pedestrians, how about bullbars, or the lights on the roof of the police car, or mercedes emblems on the bonnet?
Is it any wonder why we have respect for the law when it is stupid and deliberately targets those who are not affecting anyone else?
Same mate.

There are lots of cars out there which never ger worked on or maintained.
These are overlooked by Mr. Plod.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 01:51 PM   #13
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Did anybody notice the first car was a Blue Subaru, yet it looked very much like an evo to me lol.
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 01:57 PM   #14
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by triedntested
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbGSLFAwbig

Feel bad for the GT owner.

I'm confused though, if all of these mods are illegal then how can businesses sell and fit them? Or does it just need an engineers cert to be street legal? I'm confused now.

They arent illegal to sell....
And if your car isnt registered and just used on the track then it isnt illegal to fit.

A big huge airfilter sticking up through the bonnet has been a no no for a very LONG time... its not a new rule.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 02:47 PM   #15
Hood-G6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudz27
Did anybody notice the first car was a Blue Subaru, yet it looked very much like an evo to me lol.
Lol. Definately not a Subaru.

For sale

ADELAIDE FG OWNERS
Hood-G6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 02:49 PM   #16
leighm

I am glad they chose that area to do what they did. I don't like the way ACA did the story or any other story for that matter, but what the coppers was doing needed to be done.

The area in question is La Perouse (Brighton Le Sands) in Sydney. All day everyday you get **** wits doing laps of the esplanade over and over and over. Most of the time it is a $2 rice burner with 5 inch exhaust doing nothing but annoying the hell out of everybody. These people go there because they know their cars are loud and want to show off, no matter how crap their car is. Some sort of poor man's mating ritual perhaps?

There were a couple of nice XYs that got pulled up, but if they had not been in the area doing laps with a bunch of stupidos they would never had been pulled over.

The whole point from my opinion was to try get some painful, annoying morons off the road in the area. Not crack down on hoons.
leighm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 02:50 PM   #17
Josh_XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I dont get it, that presentation was about hoons, but non of that footage showed anyone doing something illegal (or been a hoon).
Bionic BF XR8 - 6 speed manual, reversing sensors, premium sound, GT starter button. 218rwkw - Got to love the BOSS!!
Josh_XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 02:54 PM   #18
Chargd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_XC
I dont get it, that presentation was about hoons, but non of that footage showed anyone doing something illegal (or been a hoon).
illegal modifications are illegal
Chargd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 02:58 PM   #19
[Buckets]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ACA is just a rubbish show, I only saw this because a friend posted it on Facebook...we all know how one sided and ignorant most of their stories are.

Car enthusiasts aren't hoons, we all know that but the public is mostly oblivious to that fact. Most people that own schmick modified cars treat them with respect but shows like this just encourage the bad image people with nice cars seem to have.
Old 25-01-2012, 03:05 PM   #20
Bunyip04
Think Heavy..

The worst thing about this is there's ABSOLUTELY nothing we can do about it... What a fked justice system we have...

There's no replacement for displacement!!!

Handling: Bilstein Shocks with King springs all round, Whiteline 27mm front swaybar & 22mm rear adj, upgraded PBR rotors, calipers and braided lines all round with Bendix Ultimate pads.
Go Fast Bits: Herrod C.A.I with K&N 4" pod flter, Herrod Helix spacer, Herrod oil breathers, Tridon 72c thermostat, Herrod 2.5" stainless cat back zorst.
Bunyip04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 03:28 PM   #21
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZENU
He didn't do himself any favours by saying that he did a burnout the other day at a wedding....
I was feeling sorry for him until he blurted that out, what was he thinking. But weren't they nice cars, I guess just stick to driving during the day. I suppose if you're out and about at night and in the black spots, then you're going to expect it.
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 03:37 PM   #22
FPVGT500
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"If you have any issues with car enthusiasts give us a call" What a B**** , How about the part when they so called pulled over a blue subaru when we all know thats an Evo also that air filter on the GT is too dangerous if you hit someone I think my bullbars are more safe....Pathetic
FPVGT500 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 03:40 PM   #23
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Very odd, usually tabloid shows have well-researched, un-biased and intellectual material on show.

I wonder how many people who actually gave a level-headed, insightful interview were excluded from the final cut?

Who cares.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 03:46 PM   #24
FalconForce

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP owner
As for the filter being a hazard to pedestrians, how about bullbars, or the lights on the roof of the police car, or mercedes emblems on the bonnet?
the filter was dead center of the bonnet which has a very high chance of pedestrian impact if it had a cover on it it would probably be legal. As for police lights and bonnet emblems, police lights are in a low pedestrian impact area, that is why they set back in the middle of the roof and bonnet emblems are designed to snap off very easily if impacted by a pedestrian.

What's scarier than the thunder? The Typhoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Doesn't matter anyway whatever they do its wrong according to people on here.
FalconForce is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 03:56 PM   #25
red80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

At the end of the day if you have an engineered legal car what do you have to worry about?

Yes these stupid shows scare monger so they can get ratings, who cares next week they will run the old rotten fruit story or the bad tenants story again, they are scraping the bottom of the barrel. Next week they will probably run a story on summernats and how fun it is!
Best thing you can do is not watch the crap.
red80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 04:20 PM   #26
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedjay
you guys seen this one???

http://au.news.yahoo.com/today-tonig...hoon-epidemic/

wouldnt like to be this young bloke lol
Wow, as an 18 year old he has nothing better to do on a Saturday night than hide in the bushes at 3AM taping someone doing a burnout in an empty carpark. They proudly label him a vigilante, somehow I think he just needs a girlfriend. Now he's gone on national TV basically inviting people from his area to kick his teeth in. Smooth move, Rico Suave.

Regarding the original video, all car enthusiasts are hoons, Mitsubishi Evos are actually Subarus and everyone with a modified car is a murderer. It's an epidemic (widespread occurrence of an infectious disease) and we need to hit them hard (and of course, by "hard" I mean milk some money out of them and wait for them to show up next week with the same life threatening air filters).
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 04:25 PM   #27
[Buckets]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline
Regarding the original video, all car enthusiasts are hoons, Mitsubishi Evos are actually Subarus and everyone with a modified car is a murderer. It's an epidemic (widespread occurrence of an infectious disease) and we need to hit them hard (and of course, by "hard" I mean milk some money out of them and wait for them to show up next week with the same life threatening air filters).
gold
Old 25-01-2012, 04:41 PM   #28
prydey
Rob

surely this borders on discrimination. they pull you over under the pretense of a breatho, then basically impound your car. ordinarily it wouldn't be an issue, but when they are consciously only pulling over cars that 'look' modified etc, rather than random road users, then to me its unfairly targeting certain people.

as it turns out, most of the cars had issues (bald tyres, door being tied shut on the inside, illegal tint etc) but thats not to say all these issues could be found on innocent looking cars. whats worse is the presenters and reporters sit/stand there looking all smug like they are doing the world a favour.

also, what it doesn't point out is how many cars they pulled over in total and what % got impounded. i'm guessing it was a fairly low % but lets not let too many facts (if any) get in the way.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 04:44 PM   #29
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just watched it onjline again and saw the while thing insted of just the end
Its funny how the report called the blue lancer a subaru, but the falcon owners hmmm yeah they're not doing s any favours
Boza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 04:46 PM   #30
bluovl

This might be off topic so if moderators feel it is please delete this post.

Are there statistics anywhere to say x amount of people have been injured by an air cleaner poking through a bonnet? Not crash tests, actual incidents. Or is it just blindly accepted it's a common occurance that people are being injured by air cleaners. I honestly dont know but would love to.

Statistics anywhere that list what illegal modifications have caused death or injury?

A few months back I was at a hot rod event in the US where there were 3500 entrants and a stack more in attendance. Folks driving around the streets in blown unfendered cars ,low as low having a ball. It all seemed quite natural and nobody was getting hurt. It just makes me wonder how we here in Australia have ended up with so many rules and regulations on what we can do to our cars. And now being policed like car enthusiasts are public enemy number one.
69 Mustang Convertible
XA 351 Coupe
1965 Galaxie Convertible
2005 GT-P
AU XR6 Ute
bluovl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post