Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 31-08-2011, 06:04 PM   #1
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

Default Why does the 2015/2016 Falcon need to have a V6?

I don't know the full story regarding the future of the Falcon (and don't claim to). Because of this, I have an important question.

I hear a lot of chatter stating that local production of the I6 is going to end at 2015/2016. In order to find a replacement engine, Ford US are going to provide the Falcon with the 3.5 V6. I'll provide an alternative suggestion.

Why not just leave the Falcon with the EcoBoost 2.0 as a base engine (and provide the 5.0 V8 N/A as a performance option)? It has a very flat torque curve, and is quite refined (two things that, from what I have seen, the 3.5 V6 can't match).

In my opinion, a high revving go-nowhere motor doesn't suit the Falcon; it needs to have plenty of torque down low (which, from what I have heard, the I4T has).

Fair enough, the EcoBoost 4 cyl is not quite the I6, but with the reduced weight at the front of the car, the Falcon may actually handle better (not that it isn't superior to the competition). Besides, in these times, fuel economy is a great concern, and the EcoBoost is almost certain to deliver. The inclusion of technology such as direct injection may also help rid people of the misconception that the Falcon is a technological dinosaur.

Yes, I haven't driven a Taurus, but unless the V6 is some sort of technological marvel which is able to alleviate the problems inherent in the design of a V6 (and from what I have heard, it isn't), I just can't get excited about the Falcon having a V6.

Another option: If Ford US are not willing to do this, why not can it, and do what Ford does in most markets, and offer the Mondeo as the largest car in the Ford stable. Let the old girl die with some dignity; I would much rather have no Falcon at all than one which approximates the Commodore with a better auto.

We've already seen one formerly proud brand name shattered in the Focus. I will sell all my Ford merch if I ever see a V6 in the Falcon. It will be a great shame.

What does everyone think? Would you be happy to see just the I4T and Coyote V8 in the Falcon?

4.0i OHC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2011, 06:22 PM   #2
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 
Default Re: Why does the 2015/2016 Falcon need to have a V6?

Ford NA uses the 3.7 V6 in Mustang and F150, I wouldn't call it a high revving go nowhere engine.....
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2011, 06:40 PM   #3
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Ford NA uses the 3.7 V6 in Mustang and F150, I wouldn't call it a high revving go nowhere engine.....
3.7 Mustang V6 (blue line):

4.0 I6:
Old 31-08-2011, 06:56 PM   #4
AMGC63
Banned

Falcon has zero chance of survival without dropping the I6 and adopting the US V6.
The I6 is too long to accomodate more efficient body shapes with contemporary styling and has no market demand outside of AU.
AMGC63 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2011, 07:00 PM   #5
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMGC63
Falcon has zero chance of survival without dropping the I6 and adopting the US V6.
The I6 is too long to accomodate more efficient body shapes with contemporary styling and has no market demand outside of AU.
That's disappointing. However, my point was that, as an I6 replacement, why not just use the 2.0 EcoBoost rather than the Taurus V6?
Old 31-08-2011, 07:05 PM   #6
GT69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I guess there has been money spend on ecolpi, and only giving it 4 - 5 years on production may be a little short. I suspect a last minute 'we'll keep the I6' if the falcon continues in 2015-16. It would make sense to drop it and move to global engine platforms. But then again, the FPV 335 motor seems to be an orphan as well, with shelby/ford coming up with their own supercharging set ups. All seems alittle backward.

Personally, I cant see Taurus coming here, I think mondeo will be the successor if falcon is killed off. With Ranger picking up the slack for utilities. In saying that, no doubt if Ford AUS get the funding from the government, the falcon will get a face lift with I6 continuing.\

My thoughts anyway.

Current Ride - 2013 Ford Ranger, XLT 4x4, ARB kitted brick
Former Current ride - 09 XR6T in Octane, with a pinch of Sports pack
Weekender - Ford Cortina 1969 coupe
Project - 1968 Ford Cortina 4 door
GT69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2011, 07:05 PM   #7
AMGC63
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlaneman
That's disappointing. However, my point was that, as an I6 replacement, why not just use the 2.0 EcoBoost rather than the Taurus V6?
There's no reason why a V6 cant replicate what the I6 does in every way, but in a more compact package which creates far more global demand, versitility and compliance.
Old 31-08-2011, 07:37 PM   #8
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

Love the i6 in my au but other than the Aussie job loss really not concerned if its a v6 it would have ample power for me either way , so if it keeps falcon alive bring it on .
I think most of the general public would have no idea what's under the bonnet anyway ! If possible for aus to build the v6 here then I would be happier again but I don't think it will happen unfortunately .but me like the trend at the moment get more versatility out of a suv so my next work hack will be a territory me thinks
Old 31-08-2011, 07:47 PM   #9
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
There's no reason why a V6 cant replicate what the I6 does in every way, but in a more compact package which creates far more global demand, versitility and compliance.
a V6 will never be a good replacement for the Falcon I6 to start with in engineering terms a V6 is inferior to an inline configuration. they have to use complex balance components to get any where near an I6 for smoothness. the falcon I6 as it stands now is a well engineered powerful and torquey engine, the only advantage of a V6 over an I6 is it is shorter making it easier to fit in.
the demise of the I6 will be a black day for our automotive industry. who in there right mind would spend decades developing an engine to the stage of the falcon I6 then when it is finally a great performance package say sorry we don't want it now

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2011, 07:58 PM   #10
AMGC63
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
a V6 will never be a good replacement for the Falcon I6 to start with in engineering terms a V6 is inferior to an inline configuration. they have to use complex balance components to get any where near an I6 for smoothness. the falcon I6 as it stands now is a well engineered powerful and torquey engine, the only advantage of a V6 over an I6 is it is shorter making it easier to fit in.
the demise of the I6 will be a black day for our automotive industry. who in there right mind would spend decades developing an engine to the stage of the falcon I6 then when it is finally a great performance package say sorry we don't want it now
Honda, Toyota and Nissan would disagree... Infact Ford AU are probably the last manufacturer on earth to adopt a V6 engine in thier locally manufactured large cars.
For the purposes of what the Falcon is used for a V6 engine configuration would be more then capable of achieving what the current engine provides.

Last edited by AMGC63; 31-08-2011 at 08:03 PM.
Old 31-08-2011, 08:16 PM   #11
MexicanBatman
Banned

Ford Aus and BMW

I am an inline fan
MexicanBatman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2011, 08:21 PM   #12
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I reckon they should ditch the I6 and make the EcoBoost I4 their main engine. Could be the next SR20
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2011, 08:23 PM   #13
kinksta
Luxojet

I love the inline 6! BUT, if it was the V6 in the Nissan GT-R ehehe!
kinksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2011, 08:23 PM   #14
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Honda, Toyota and Nissan would disagree... Infact Ford AU are probably the last manufacturer on earth to adopt a V6 engine in thier locally manufactured large cars.
For the purposes of what the Falcon is used for a V6 engine configuration would be more then capable of achieving what the current engine provides.
BMW still use an I6 and I think that speaks volumes.
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2011, 08:42 PM   #15
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
as I said they use it because is compact not better

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Rides:

Old 31-08-2011, 08:45 PM   #16
nt0351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

a Falcon with a V6 would just become soul less much like the commodore,

they should keep the IL6 or retire our Aussie icon altogether.

bring in whatever but dont call it a Falcon.

Ive recently driven a V6 stang whilst over there ,..all rev & noise and not much poise to it at all ,..I took it straight back to hertz and said " hey this one's missing two cylinders " ,....they laughed and upgraded me to a real one ,...now where talking !
nt0351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2011, 08:46 PM   #17
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why not the EcoBoost V6?
Old 31-08-2011, 08:50 PM   #18
AMGC63
Banned

Quote:
as I said they use it because is compact not better
Nissan GT-R? Porche? Its 2011, not 1998, the limitations have been well and truely overcome.

Falcon would be more marketable with a V6, the I6 suffers from an image issue with the broader uneducated buying public.
Like it or not the Falcon I6 has an image of "old school" and low tech.

Last edited by AMGC63; 31-08-2011 at 08:57 PM.
Old 31-08-2011, 08:59 PM   #19
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Nissan GT-R? Porche? Its 2011, not 1998, the limitations have been well and truely overcome.

Falcon would be more marketable with a V6, the I6 suffers from an image issue with the broader uneducated buying public.
I6 has an image of "old school" and low tech.
it is a well known engineering principal that V6 engines are inferior to an I6 for the same level of technology. you are comparing highly engineered engines out of high performance cars to engines out of regular production cars. huge money is spent getting them to be close to as reliable as an I6 would be with similat configurations. a V6 also has many more moving parts to help reduce NVH reducing reliability , causing parasitic losses and increasing overall weight.
Why do BMW still use an I6? I would pit a BMW 6 against a Porsche for long term reliability any day

Rides:

Old 31-08-2011, 09:04 PM   #20
AMGC63
Banned

Quote:
it is a well known engineering principal that V6 engines are inferior to an I6 for the same level of technology. you are comparing highly engineered engines out of high performance cars to engines out of regular production cars. huge money is spent getting them to be close to as reliable as an I6 would be with similat configurations. a V6 also has many more moving parts to help reduce NVH reducing reliability , causing parasitic losses and increasing overall weight.
Why do BMW still use an I6? I would pit a BMW 6 against a Porsche for long term reliability any day
At the end of the day it doesnt matter, there are a multitude of examples where V6 engines have been very succesfully adapted to regular production large cars while exhibiting excellent refinement, power and torque.
Better is subjective, especially if ergonomics and space saving is as or more important than the last few KW's of power.
The fact that BMW and Ford still have an I6 just means they're the last of a very long list to phase theirs out....
Old 31-08-2011, 09:08 PM   #21
Ford Falcon XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Like it or not the Falcon I6 has an image of "old school" and low tech.
Apart from not not being an alloy block how is the I6 "low tech" correct me if i'm wrong but i'm pretty sure it's still more advanced the Holden V6 motor. As for saving space under the bonnet i don't really see the point BMW build high quailty very advanced cars and still use an I6 and they pass emission laws just fine. If Ford ditch the I6 and V8 i'll be a BMW convert I6 All the way
Ford Falcon XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2011, 09:09 PM   #22
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

at the end of the day there are 2 words that would turn anyone off a V6 Commodore (Buick) V6, remember the VN?

Rides:

Old 31-08-2011, 09:16 PM   #23
AMGC63
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Falcon XR6
Apart from not not being an alloy block how is the I6 "low tech" correct me if i'm wrong but i'm pretty sure it's still more advanced the Holden V6 motor. As for saving space under the bonnet i don't really see the point BMW build high quailty very advanced cars and still use an I6 and they pass emission laws just fine. If Ford ditch the I6 and V8 i'll be a BMW convert I6 All the way
Perception and reality are rarely the same, its not my opinion, its the broader perception people have.
Old 31-08-2011, 09:21 PM   #24
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlaneman
3.7 Mustang V6 (blue line):
Those two graphs are not directly comparable, the Mustang readings are at the back wheels
while the Falcon's readings has been given corrections to approximate flywheel power outputs.

I've recently driven the later US vehicles with v6 engines and can say that I found their performance comparable
to our Falcon I-6, the idea that Falcon will become a souless car with a V6 is just emotional clap trap.

Bring on a smaller and lighter Falcon with higher HP V6s, EB I-4, V8 and V6 diesel
All possible if Falcon/Territory share power trains with a future Mustang

Last edited by jpd80; 31-08-2011 at 09:32 PM.
Old 31-08-2011, 09:22 PM   #25
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

It would need to be a twin turbo for me to buy it..

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2011, 09:48 PM   #26
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it`s hard to see much point going v6 other than space considerations should the falcon shrink a bit and warming up a little quicker with alloy block, the inline 6 is a good power unit and very easy to turn the wick up, and after 50 years of upgrades/development, it seems crazy to me to chuck all that away if and when the time comes,
but probably it all comes down to the bean counters at the end of the day.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2011, 09:53 PM   #27
nt0351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Those two graphs are not directly comparable, the Mustang readings are at the back wheels
while the Falcon's readings has been given corrections to approximate flywheel power outputs.

I've recently driven the later US vehicles with v6 engines and can say that I found their performance comparable
to our Falcon I-6, the idea that Falcon will become a souless car with a V6 is just emotional clap trap.

Bring on a smaller and lighter Falcon with higher HP V6s, EB I-4, V8 and V6 diesel
All possible if Falcon/Territory share power trains with a future Mustang
a V6 can never be as refined or punchy as a well sorted IL6 , we are not talking about outright performance figures ,..we are talking about down low guts ,.torque ,..balls ,..a bit of momentum when you put the foot down ,..how else can i put it ,....thats sadly lacking in the V6 ,all it wants to do when you sink the pedal is have a bit of a think and let out a huge rev
go & drive a commodore and if you reckon its not souless than there's clap trap going on in your head
nt0351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2011, 09:56 PM   #28
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

There's a 2015/2016 Falcon

Not so sure about that.

Falcon = I6 + RWD (+ a few niche V8's), anything else isn't a Falcon
Old 31-08-2011, 09:57 PM   #29
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All these people that keep going on & on & on & on & on about the I6, get over it!! As a buyer of BRAND NEW Falcons, I don't give a stuff if it is V6 or I6 as long as it makes all the right numbers... Bring on an Ecoboost V6 any day of the current I6.. That is high vs. low tech no matter what any I6 lover tries to tell me!! And engine that has over 120 patents (Ecoboost) vs. one that has none (I6) speaks volumes!!

And people going on about a soulless commodore.. truelly dont know where to start with you!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2011, 10:03 PM   #30
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nt0351
a V6 can never be as refined or punchy as a well sorted IL6 , we are not talking about outright performance figures ,..we are talking about down low guts ,.torque ,..balls ,..a bit of momentum when you put the foot down ,..how else can i put it ,....thats sadly lacking in the V6 ,all it wants to do when you sink the pedal is have a bit of a think and let out a huge rev
go & drive a commodore and if you reckon its not souless than there's clap trap going on in your head
When it comes to V6 engines, the Ford 3.7 is on another level compared to the 3.6 V6 SIDI

At least I have driven the Ford V6 engine you are dismissing, I think you are sucking someone else's opinion....

All the R & D is going into corporate engines, falcon's I-6 is here for another five years,
after that is anyone's guess and what V6 is available then is also anyone's guess..