Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 19-12-2011, 12:42 AM   #1
b2tf
not here much anymore

Default Do a good deed this Christmas

Might be a bit of a weird thread but I thought I would make the point anyway.

Ive spent the past few weeks watching the pile of stuff under our Christmas tree grow but in the back of my mind is the thought that there are lots of people who don't get that. It's something that we all think about at some point but I wonder how many people actually act on the thought and do something to make even a small difference on an occasion like Christmas.

Most of us are all pretty lucky, we have the things that we need and want and Christmas is one of those times that we probably indulge a bit more than normal, but for lots of other people its a time when the realisation that they can't do that sinks in and it can be quite miserable. In our own example we have a neighbour who doesnt have much to do with his family, his kids dont bother with him and Christmas can be very lonely because while everybody else is with their family, he can't do that.

This year we are going to have him around for Christmas morning and we have bought him a few things, its not like we spent hundreds of dollars on him but to simply receive a gift on Christmas day can make a big difference to how some people feel. I'm no saint and I'm not saying I am holier than thou but I do think that things like this - a simple action that anybody could do, are what Christmas should be all about. We spend so much time and money loading up our trees that we should take even a small amount of that time and money to make sure everybody else enjoys it too.

Without rambling too much I guess I want to encourage everybody to just have a think about what you can do for somebody else this Christmas who might not be able to enjoy it as much as you do. We all know somebody who might be in that boat and even a simple Card and a small gift can really brighten people's feelings over the next week or so, and on a personal level it does feel good to know that you've made someone's day.

Have a think about it and see what you can come up with, not so much to post on here but more to do something for yourself and others.

Old 19-12-2011, 12:48 AM   #2
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 
Default Re: Do a good deed this Christmas

I can sorta relate to this ... as a kid I never got much really as my parents were hard workers just to stay afloat really.

So now it feels a bit weird when it comes around to Xmas and seeing what we have got our son (and other family members) for Xmas .... and it is more than you realise when you first start out getting stuff. In a way it seems excessive really.

I have on several occasions invited a good friend of mine ... and work colleague over for Xmas ... as he is on his own ... and a bit older ... but a family friend as well. Just so he's not just sitting home on his own (as I know he would be really). But still ... I feel better knowing that he has some company on the day at least ... and have a laugh and good food/conversation etc.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2011, 01:16 AM   #3
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

I Have a close friend who's brother was killed in a car accident 6 years ago. His brother was born on Christmas day. My Christmas morning is spent driving to their house to take their minds off things. They lost everything the day they lost Murray and my brother and I's gift to them is helping them enjoy Christmas, not resent it. Us showing up on their doorstep every Christmas morning brightens their day so much, it's become a yearly ritual.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2011, 01:22 AM   #4
Windsor342ci
The Experience...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggypoppin'
I Have a close friend who's brother was killed in a car accident 6 years ago. His brother was born on Christmas day. My Christmas morning is spent driving to their house to take their minds off things. They lost everything the day they lost Murray and my brother and I's gift to them is helping them enjoy Christmas, not resent it. Us showing up on their doorstep every Christmas morning brightens their day so much, it's become a yearly ritual.

Thats a horrible thing to happen but awesome of you to do that. Good job man.
Windsor342ci is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2011, 01:45 AM   #5
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
This year we are going to have him around for Christmas morning and we have bought him a few things, its not like we spent hundreds of dollars on him but to simply receive a gift on Christmas day can make a big difference to how some people feel.
Nice thought mate, and good of you to carry it through to reality. If I can be so bold, it might be worth letting him know that you've got a small gift under the tree for him (regardless of what it may be). Give him the chance to participate in the day by reciprocating if he chooses to rather than potentially feeling like an interloper.

Like I said though, nice work
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2011, 09:16 AM   #6
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

I think this is what is known as "The Christmas Spirit" Well done, b2ft!

This was once only believed to be mythical (since Corporations turned Christmas into a shopping spree!) it does however exist. Mythbusters have confirmed it in an upcoming episode.

At the end of the day, if no one had any money and there was not sooooo much pressure on the "GIFT", you would see more people showing human kindness and compassion to others. Back in the old days, people use to make home made gifts! ( I know....oh the horror!) but those gifts meant so much more because people had to think about the gift and because it was made with their own hands, their was a bigger sence of pride, when giving the gift.

Not everyone can afford the time, or others don't want to be involved in others issues, that I can understand....but it only takes one moment to even wish a complete stranger - Merry Christmas. If you have the room and can share Christmas with someone else...I say go for it! Jack and my home is always open for anyone who doesn't have someone to share Christmas with.

Share the Xmas spirit! I am all for it!!

MERRY CHRISTMAS

Cheers
Col
Old 19-12-2011, 09:25 AM   #7
Lotte
YE-US! Wait. I don't know

when Mum went to Nepal on her trek last year, each member of the trek had their own porter. The porters usually can only work 4 months of the year (trekking season) and have to make that money last all year. (As an indication of how poor this country is, mum gave Purna $200 before she left and was told that he, his wife, 2 kids and mother in law, could live off that for 7 months.)

Instead of heaps of gifts, we give a dedicated amount to Purna each, to put his kids through school, and help with general stuff. It's an ongoing thing now, and expands out from Christmas, and we're planning on setting up a trust fund.

One of the amazing things is how thankful Purna and his family are, we get photos, emails, letters, we all have his mobile number to call him at any time if we need to!!
The Weekender: '06 BF Pursuit, Toxic, lumpy af

Lotte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2011, 09:30 AM   #8
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

The acts listed above are "relational" and central to living a life in decent community with others, especially those who are lonesome. Great work and God bless you.

May I also urge you all to also consider those who for a few bucks, could receive life giving health shots, or simple medicines, or a few chooks to get some eggs and such.

Here's a few catalogues to ponder. Perhaps if we all bought a few of these inexpensive gifts, it'd actually make a real impact.

A few years ago, my Year 8 class used these catalogues to purchase Kris Kringle gifts for each other. For young kids, I was amazed at their concern for and generosity towards those far less fortunate.

This one is from Tear Australia
http://www.usefulgifts.org/

And another from World Vision
http://trans.worldvision.com.au/Gift...px?source=1233

Blessings,

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2011, 09:52 AM   #9
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

How about doing a good deed every day. Why limit ourselves to just one day/the 'festive season'. That said, my hat is tipped to all who see past their own noses and think of the less fortunate in our world.

I am not a fan of the materialistic debarcle the holiday season has become, but I am of the good will to all men the holiday used to represent.
charles_wif_xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2011, 09:53 AM   #10
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Barring the buying of presents for others this year doesn't feel very Christmassy yet... Got one week to go hope the vibe picks up..

I drive around my suburb and can't even see X-Mas trees through windows let alone external decorations and lights like years gone past.

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2011, 10:43 AM   #11
FLOORED
Race Brakes Sydney

b2tf it is funny this thread came up because i was talking to the missus yesterday about the Christmas spirit being dead and anyway this is only a minor thing but after i mowed the lawn yesterday i continued to mow both my neighbours lawns as well. One of my neighbours is a minister for a local church and is away at the moment so he will get a surprise when he gets home and the other side just benefited from my Christmas spirit. Something little compared to other people here but thought i would share it.
BTW i actually do mean mowing the lawn and not the other

Street to track is what we expertise in

Phone 02 9609 1101

sales@racebrakessydney.com.au

www.racebrakessydney.com.au
FLOORED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2011, 10:56 AM   #12
Zorba

mowing his lawn as opposed to cutting his grass
Zorba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2011, 10:56 AM   #13
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLOORED
...after i mowed the lawn yesterday i continued to mow both my neighbours lawns as well.

BTW i actually do mean mowing the lawn and not the other
LOL!

Nice job!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2011, 11:55 AM   #14
FLOORED
Race Brakes Sydney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba
mowing his lawn as opposed to cutting his grass
Same result

Street to track is what we expertise in

Phone 02 9609 1101

sales@racebrakessydney.com.au

www.racebrakessydney.com.au
FLOORED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2011, 12:00 PM   #15
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

Pay It Forward!
FreddyDUZ747 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2011, 03:26 PM   #16
XARATE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Quality contribution which has gone somewhat un-noticed so far. 

^^^^^ the only movie ever that bought me to tears
Old 19-12-2011, 03:53 PM   #17
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

We sponsor a child thru World Vision and at Christmas instead of giving presents , we buy the family members a cow , goat, ducks etc to go to a needy family, all thru World Vision..........
http://trans.worldvision.com.au/Gift...gue/Gifts.aspx
Old 19-12-2011, 08:16 PM   #18
Daniel B

Some really good ideas there guys.....I was talking about this with a friend of mine recently, moreso how we used to hang out for 6-12 months to receive a gift which made this time of year more special, whereas now kids seem to get everything they want all year round, I guess its an offshoot of the prosperous times that we live in......
So it actually makes me wonder why we're buying more toys that will only cover up last weeks toys........although giving and receiving is nice and a necessary part of co-existence.
Anyway, for me it's good to see some of Christ's ideas coming up in people thinking about others.......peace & God bless to all and hope everyone stays safe.
Daniel B is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2011, 05:30 PM   #19
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotski
when Mum went to Nepal on her trek last year, each member of the trek had their own porter. The porters usually can only work 4 months of the year (trekking season) and have to make that money last all year. (As an indication of how poor this country is, mum gave Purna $200 before she left and was told that he, his wife, 2 kids and mother in law, could live off that for 7 months.)

Instead of heaps of gifts, we give a dedicated amount to Purna each, to put his kids through school, and help with general stuff. It's an ongoing thing now, and expands out from Christmas, and we're planning on setting up a trust fund.

One of the amazing things is how thankful Purna and his family are, we get photos, emails, letters, we all have his mobile number to call him at any time if we need to!!
Great story mate, i dont think people realise how hard it is for porters to make money there. And then you get the backpackers whinging that $15 a day to carry your stuff is too expensive, shich really annoys me, Great job
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2011, 05:37 PM   #20
Falcman0o7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRYHSV
Thats a horrible thing to happen but awesome of you to do that. Good job man.

Yep good work
Falcman0o7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2011, 06:31 PM   #21
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Thanks guys. Lewis actually rang me yesterday to ask if we where coming up, I confirmed that we where and he said good, mum and dad can't stand Christmas morning without you. It was very touching.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2011, 11:38 PM   #22
Lotte
YE-US! Wait. I don't know

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic
Great story mate, i dont think people realise how hard it is for porters to make money there. And then you get the backpackers whinging that $15 a day to carry your stuff is too expensive, shich really annoys me, Great job
Thanks mate. Mum wants me to go with her on the next trek, so I can meet him. Would be nice. It's saddening to think that people aren't willing to pay the $15 for someone to carry all their stuff (and, in mum's case, haul her up steps, over bridges, push her on, I think he'd carry her over rivers if all us women in the family weren't built like welsh coal miners), it's really not that much!
Can't wait to get there though, and apparently mum's been tentatively signing me up for engineering projects over there with another trekker, who wants to develop more power stations etc...
The Weekender: '06 BF Pursuit, Toxic, lumpy af

Lotte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2011, 02:17 PM   #23
AndrewR_AUII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Came across this the other day....

AndrewR_AUII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2011, 10:43 AM   #24
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

end of the pre start last night, was mentioned the hat was going round for one of the boys that finished up a few weeks back...

just one of those really awesome guys at work, always happy, a good guy...

he had to finish up, be at home for his terminally ill wife, four young kiddies...

was time to give back, something we all take for granted is our health, for some the matter of health is a battle for life...

substantial amount was raised, a sobering time at xmas...
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post