Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 22-09-2006, 08:10 PM   #1
hori
Starter Motor

Default changing leads

I hope i dont get too burnt here but what is the secret to changing the leads on an AU.What a stupid place to put tyhe coil pack.Lead 1.2.3 are reachable but the back ones ? Any help would be much appreciated

hori is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2006, 08:12 PM   #2
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Two ways:

1. Use a hoist and change them from under the car
2. Remove the airbox and TB piping - makes access to the coilpacks easier (still not easy, just easier)
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2006, 08:18 PM   #3
hori
Starter Motor

Thanx jc thort the hoist one was a winner(gotta have access to one tho) and the other way doesnt excite me either might just take the leads to the local garage and see what hell charge me
hori is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2006, 09:20 PM   #4
Baboon_AU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

an even easier way is to remove the snorkel and fan shroud and then u can get your arm pefectly under neath the plenum chamber... remove all leads then match the sizes up with your new leads and then re-install
the order is
34 ..... 1 being at the front of the eninge bay

1981 XD Fairmont 351 - 351 Cleveland, ARP bolts, flat top pistons, Stage 3 Dynotec cam, ported 2V heads with 4V valves, Roller Rockers, Weiand manifold, Mighty Demon, 1/2" fuel lines with blue Holley fuel pump, Crane hi-6 ignition, B&M megashifter, C4, hi-stall, shift kit, 3.77 Ford 9" LSD.

Thanks to: EvilChief and SJW Performance

Last edited by Baboon_AU; 06-10-2006 at 09:21 PM. Reason: wrong setting out
Baboon_AU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2006, 10:12 PM   #5
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

or you could do what i did, jack the passenger side of the car up, using a jack stand as well of course, then just lay under it to undo the old ones, making sure you only do one or two at a time, so you don't get them mixed up, then if you can get someone to help it makes it easier, you need to feed the one or two new leads at a time down from above the motor to where to coil pack is, then just plug them back in from under the car again
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2006, 06:48 PM   #6
superroo
You can't stop the signal

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 

i tried both methods.
Car was up on ramps and it was still a bugger. Then took the snorkle and airbox out and found it alot easier. The height of the car may of helped to.
superroo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2006, 06:56 PM   #7
Smoked
Burnin Rubber

Yep, Intake removal and Pipes to T/B make it quite easy to do. I can post up some pics of what it lookslike to do.
***Coming Soon: Clear Side Repeaters***
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa
...dont get me wrong this 3.8v6 is pretty special, it does come with the popular shake rattle and roll option and the auto compliments this with the ever popular snap crackle and pop feature
Smoked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2006, 07:19 PM   #8
mattp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I did mine by myself by taking out the airbox and piping, only took half an hour or so doing one lead at a time. I don't have particularly small arms or anything so anyone should be able to do it I imagine. Just needed a torch to see what was down there. I asked my mechanic and he said around 60 bucks to do plugs and leads, hence me doing it myself and keeping the money. Good luck.
mattp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2006, 08:49 PM   #9
Baboon_AU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it took my 5 mintues with removing the fan shroud and intake snorkel.. its seriously the best way!! removing the fan shroud can be a PITA, but rememeber that plastic will bend to some degree, hehehe

1981 XD Fairmont 351 - 351 Cleveland, ARP bolts, flat top pistons, Stage 3 Dynotec cam, ported 2V heads with 4V valves, Roller Rockers, Weiand manifold, Mighty Demon, 1/2" fuel lines with blue Holley fuel pump, Crane hi-6 ignition, B&M megashifter, C4, hi-stall, shift kit, 3.77 Ford 9" LSD.

Old 10-10-2006, 09:50 PM   #10
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it would be nice to have a coil on each plug no more leads, the standard set up is no fun
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2006, 09:52 PM   #11
TwistedEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's real easy taking out the airbox + snorkel and putting your hand through there. Only do one at a time so you don't screw it up

The hardest part about it is if it's the first time being done those cable ties are a bugger to cut off
TwistedEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2006, 11:39 PM   #12
bigjim

I don't see why you need to take anything off...I just drove mine up on the ramps and did it from underneath (jack and axle stands would also work). Bit of screwing around but not impossible by any means, just needs a bit of perseverance.
bigjim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2006, 12:36 AM   #13
Baboon_AU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it can be done this way, but taking parts off takes 5 mins and makes the job easier

Old 11-10-2006, 12:59 AM   #14
TwistedEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That's right, I had it done by a pro on my EL and he took the airbox out rather than mucking around jacking up etc, did it in the car park at work in 5 mins.
TwistedEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2006, 10:37 PM   #15
Crash Lander

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattp
I did mine by myself by taking out the airbox and piping, only took half an hour or so doing one lead at a time. I don't have particularly small arms or anything so anyone should be able to do it I imagine. Just needed a torch to see what was down there. I asked my mechanic and he said around 60 bucks to do plugs and leads, hence me doing it myself and keeping the money. Good luck.
My mechanic charged me $30 to do it a few weeks back.