Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 16-07-2012, 11:52 PM   #1
Muttley098
Starter Motor

Default New Focus air-con and dual-clutch transmission

I'm looking to upgrade from my 2006 Focus LX to a new Focus. This weekend I tested a demo Focus Ambiente auto and to compare performance I also tried a 2.0 (used Titanium) for comparison - have concluded on the 2.0 and will be going for Trend spec.

I was very impressed with the way the new Focus drove. I also tested a Mazda 3 on the same day, but it wasn't anywhere near as involving to drive as the Focus.

However, I do have a couple of reservations with the Focus, especially as this car will be on a 3 or 4 yr lease and expensive to exit if it doesn't work out in a couple of areas...

The main concern is with the air-con, in both Focus models that I tested it seemed weak, and I've read various forum posts commenting on poor air-con in the new Focus. It was a sunny winter day in Sydney, the cars had been in the sun on the forecourt and they were pretty warm inside, although outside ambient shaded temp would have been about 20. In the Ambiente we put the fan up to 3, directed through face-level vents, but there was almost no airflow coming out of the vents, and had to check the vents were open and aircon was actually switched on, and the car barely cooled during the 15 minutes we were in it. Didn't think to put it on recirculation (which the salesman advised when I commented about it) - but it's winter and shouldn't need to do that. The climate control in the Titanium didn't show much enthusiasm either when temp set to 19 and the fan speed was turned up.

My cars are parked on the driveway, on north side of house in full sun, and my current Focus (with tint) gets very hot inside on summer mornings before using it, but although its aircon isn't the best it does get it cool enough after a few minutes. I'm concerned at how the new one would cope. Decent tint will help keep it cooler (didn't notice if the demo had tint or not). I'm hoping the Thai-built models get a better system due to the hotter, more humid Asia climate, which is why I'm considering waiting until the first batch arrive at dealers so I can go and check the air-con performance in one of those.

Was my experience with the aircon normal for the new model? Is there a technique to getting the temperature down? Have other members found this to be a weakness?

My second concern is potential for trouble with the dual-clutch transmission that Ford or its dealers can't/won't fix. Read a lot about problems with 2011 and early 2012 build cars. The two I tested seemed to be working well. Will not go for a manual box, the car will be mostly used in heavy Sydney commuting traffic, and I have problems with foot/ankle pain.

Are recently-built models or those with the software updates working smoothly and reliably?

Thanks!

Old 17-07-2012, 09:37 AM   #2
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: New Focus air-con and dual-clutch transmission

Air con is a big weakness and many hope the Thailand built models will see better air conditioning.
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2012, 02:52 PM   #3
briskey_b
Starter Motor

One thing that may help with bringing the temp down is winding the windows down with the key. I know in my 2011 Focus you hold the unlock button for 4 seconds and the windows automatically wind down. It should let a decent amount of hot air out, making it similar to the ambient temperature fairly quickly.
briskey_b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2012, 03:06 PM   #4
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have to disagree regarding the air-con comments. Having to drive the FG Falcon at work sometimes, I honestly believe the Focus is much better. While I wouldn’t call it the coolest unit in the world, there’s a Suzuki Swift in the family and that’s artic cold, it definitely has worked really well on the few hot days since I’ve had my vehicle. In the Titanium, there is a button for ‘Max-Aircon’ to help cool the cabin quick and that’s what I use. I also use the ‘Global Entry’ where all the windows and sunroof open before you enter the vehicle, to assist in letting the hot air out first. Maybe I got a really good one?

As for the transmission, as noted above, I drive a FG Falcon with 5-Speed automatic at work, and I just find the PowerShift so much smoother (my build is early 2012), much more refined, has superior kick down, and even better power delivery. Drove the boss’s SV6 today, and I found the 6-Speed unit sluggish and unwilling to change smoothly. As for reliability, I have read VW charge an arm and a leg for their DSG twin-clutch unit to be fixed out of warranty. Can’t comment on the reliability of Fords unit. The only thing I can suggest here for peace of mind, extended warranty. It actually only costs a few hundred extra dollars. That should cover you for any faults that are beyond your control.

As a whole, I highly recommended the Focus. The Mazda 3 will also be replaced over the next year or so, while the Focus is still pretty new. Personally, I think it eclipses the competition. It’s laden with tech, drives beautiful, they build them rock solid, and the engine is smooth and the transmission responsive while still being efficient. Best of all though, mine puts a smile on my face every time I jump in it. And while looks are subjective, I think it’s pretty sexy to boot!

Whatever your decision, it’s a car buyers’ market at the moment. With prices low, and the calibre of cars on the market so high, there is something to suit everyone. Good luck matey!
Old 17-07-2012, 04:05 PM   #5
wombat66

The air con works really well in our Focus.
The dual clutch auto is great in our Focus and our Fiesta. We had reservations too before buying the cars but now are extremely happy after driving them for a few months.
Old 17-07-2012, 04:36 PM   #6
Foconatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombat66
The air con works really well in our Focus.
The dual clutch auto is great in our Focus and our Fiesta. We had reservations too before buying the cars but now are extremely happy after driving them for a few months.
DITTO!

Going somewhere isn't why you drive, driving is why you go
Foconatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2012, 07:53 PM   #7
Nolz

I picked my car up on a 36 degree day and my windows were tinted the day before delivery so I couldn't wind the windows down even if I wanted to.
The AC worked well considering how hot it was and the amount of driving I did during that day. It's not the coldest of any car I've driven however it certainly didn't struggle or not keep me cool and well ventilated.

The DSG took a little getting used to. It's certainly a different feel. 10,000km's later I can't say I had too many complaints. Now that I've had the car tweaked, the DSG really compliments the new tune really well and I absolutely LOVE the transmission.
Nolz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2012, 09:33 PM   #8
Muttley098
Starter Motor

Thanks everyone for the replies! Perhaps the AC isn't as bad as it seemed, although I noted a couple of those happy with the AC will have the climate control on their Sport/Titanium models. I have been contemplating spending more to go up to the Sport model for the better audio system (the base one had a dull, muddled sound despite adjusting the audio settings) and to get the climate control and some other nice-to-haves.

The DSG put a big smile on my face too, I got used to it straight away (I've driven an Alfa 156 with Selespeed in the past and the technique was similar). I agree with danny - the Focus puts other cars in this class in the shade, and with DSG it's just awesome.
Old 20-07-2012, 09:33 PM   #9
Muttley098
Starter Motor

Thanks everyone for the replies! Perhaps the AC isn't as bad as it seemed, although I noted a couple of those happy with the AC will have the climate control on their Sport/Titanium models. I have been contemplating spending more to go up to the Sport model for the better audio system (the base one had a dull, muddled sound despite adjusting the audio settings) and to get the climate control and some other nice-to-haves.

The DSG put a big smile on my face too, I got used to it straight away (I've driven an Alfa 156 with Selespeed in the past and the technique was similar). I agree with danny - the Focus puts other cars in this class in the shade, and with DSG it's just awesome.
Old 21-07-2012, 08:01 PM   #10
mrmavx
Molten Orange Maniac

Thumbs up Re: New Focus air-con and dual-clutch transmission

hi muttley, i have no problems with the aircon or the twin clutch auto in my titanium hatch, if you can spring the extra to get into a sport i would do so as apart from the better sound and climate control you also get better seats with bigger bolsters and you also get sport tuned suspension which in my opinion is the better set up
regards wayne
mrmavx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2012, 08:04 AM   #11
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you can spend the extra on a Sport, it's so worth it mate!
Old 17-12-2012, 11:22 PM   #12
Muttley098
Starter Motor

I don't normally update old threads, but in case someone's reading this one for their research here's the positive outcome of my original posting since I've taken delivery of my new LW MkII (Trend) a couple of weeks ago and can compare it with the one I tested back in July.

The good news is that the air-con works well enough, much better than the one I tested. Note that the global-opening of windows from the key-fob doesn't work on my car - another post suggests on the LWII it's only fitted to the Sport and Titanium - which is a disappointment.

The audio sound is very good, compared with the car I tested which sounded dull. I've put an old iPhone 3 (no sim and broken screen) loaded only with my music and podcasts permanently in the glovebox attached to the iPod lead, and only remove it to update the playlists. The Bluetooth phone integration and Sync voice control seems to work effectively.

The dual-clutch gearbox is very good most of the time, although on the first couple of days in crawling uphill traffic it was pretty jerky and I used manual shifting to smooth things out, also going from 2nd into 3rd the clutch has continued shuddering for a few seconds before settling, but after 400km both are improving. I'm also staggered by how quick the car is compared to my old LS auto, and I'm getting a fuel economy improvement of 2.5 l/100 over the old car.

All in all, very happy with the car and always looking for an excuse to get out and drive...
Old 18-12-2012, 01:40 AM   #13
malbaby
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is your old focus for sale?
malbaby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2012, 06:35 PM   #14
Muttley098
Starter Motor

Sorry - I sold the old Focus before I placed the order for the new one.
Old 18-12-2012, 07:34 PM   #15
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

The Aircon on my LV TDCI sucks balls, its worse now I have to have the parcel shelf off to fit my toolbox in the back.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2012, 10:45 PM   #16
Twinpiston
Finally rollin on 20's

Have any of you checked the level of the gas in the systems?

I know the biggest issue with the XR4's was the low gas level out of the factory!
K&N, F6 Snorkel, Debung, 20" Enix Turbine in Gunmetal, 7 seat rear springs.
Twinpiston is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2012, 10:39 PM   #17
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muttley098 View Post

All in all, very happy with the car and always looking for an excuse to get out and drive...
Awesome to hear of another happy Focus owner. Love mine to bits! Congrats buddy
Old 04-01-2013, 08:33 AM   #18
Golfer

Finally had some hot weather (high 30's) in Hobart so I feel I can now comment on the Aircon. Car was in full sun for a couple of hours and was very hot. Aircon on high with fan on full the car cooled down very quickly.

There has been comment about no vents in the back of the Focus but there are vents under the seat which transfer heaps of cold air to the back when the vents are put onto the floor setting.

Back and front seat passangers were very comfortable in a few minutes.
Very pleased with Aircon after a few negative comments.

As stated elsewhere I think the Powershift is brilliant.

I have noticed that a fair few negative comments about LW's Aircon and Powershift come from non LW owners. (Perhaps a little jealous)
This user likes this post: