Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-01-2009, 07:05 PM   #1
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Default Motorbikes.........

:

Drove to Healesville with the family today.......nice day.......great opportunity to go for a nice drive in the GT with the family.....

Every inch of the way I'm getting overtaken by Motorbikes.......double white lines.......narrow roads........total disregard for everyone else on the road. Not just one rider doing it.........hordes of them !!!!!!!

I'm doing 100.........they're overtaking on the wrong side of the road with double whites like I'm standing still.......tailgating like mad.........waiting for any nano second opportunity to dart out from behind the car.......almost clipping mirrors and then off like mad down the wrong side of the road.

On one occasion.........there was one bike that overtook 4 cars......( me included ).........again double whites........just narrowly made it back into his lane before almost getting front on slammed by a TOYOTA HILUX coming the other way.........WTF !!!!!!!!...........everyone in my car was left stunned at the miniscule opportunity that this guy had to get back in and avoid a horrific disaster that would inevitably have involved my car as well.

Doesn't stop there.........one genius did almost the same thing with a passenger on the back !!!!!!!!

I understand that we should all be mindful and respectful on our roads........and we should particularly pay attention to our 2 wheel brethren........but today's atrocious display of disrespect and brazen idiocy on multiple occasions by different riders all within the same day left me gobsmacked and horrified............I'm still shaking my head hours after my drive today and just can't understand how so many can be so stupid and so openly careless............what's going on with these people ??

Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2009, 07:08 PM   #2
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Par for the course for that bit of road, just like the spur....

Old 11-01-2009, 07:13 PM   #3
pottsy44

its the norm. im sure if u had a road bike you would do the same.. or similar atleast.

not condoning it though.
pottsy44 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2009, 07:24 PM   #4
Marduk
BFII XR6

I'm not sure what the road was like. But that is pretty common behaviour on twisties. It doesn't help when people can't stick to the speed limit when it comes to corners.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:27 PM   #5
Rob's 76 Effy
Lion Tammer

They do it cause they can, same up this way the old Pacific HWY out of the old toll gates at Cowan to Gosford, bikers heaven
"When you push a car past 180mph, the world starts to get awfully fuzzy. When you go past 200mph it actually blurs. The Bugatti Veyron is mind-blowingly, stunningly brilliant. It deserves 12 stars. Simply as good and as fast as it gets"
Don't drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly
Rob's 76 Effy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2009, 07:27 PM   #6
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marduk
I'm not sure what the road was like. But that is pretty common behaviour on twisties. It doesn't help when people can't stick to the speed limit when it comes to corners.
Road to Healesville is straight and there are ample opportunities for overtaking in the overtaking lane areas.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:31 PM   #7
alecrain
'03 BA XT

Cool

They were probably on their way into the Dandenongs, where they ride on the wonderfully winding roads, getting their heads cut off by oncoming truck while they're leaning over the middle line on a very narrow road on a sharp bend.... :evil3:

Beautiful Photography Blog

2003 BA XT
IMPCO SVI - TYPHOON CAI +XR6T snorkel - K&N Panel Filter - DBA Slotties - Tint

1998 Toyota Landcruiser Prado

www.bseries.com.au/alecrain

Quote:
People that drive slower than ME are BAD DRIVERS,
People that drive faster are IDIOTS
alecrain is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2009, 07:40 PM   #8
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Par for the course for that bit of road, just like the spur....

There was an incident on the spur a few days ago were a truck went off the edge as he decided to try and avoid the bike going around the bend and cut into his lane.
Personally I would try and make sure I survive (as with the people in my vehicle) cutting corners and your asking for trouble.

But there are plenty of motorcycle riders that are great riders and like car drivers, truck drivers, etc there is a small amount of idiots that people notice.
Old 11-01-2009, 08:01 PM   #9
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've been riding on the road about 20 years and there are more clowns on bikes than ever before.
mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2009, 08:29 PM   #10
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr smith
I've been riding on the road about 20 years and there are more clowns on bikes than ever before.
+1 especially in summer time, brings all the squids out of the woodwork and "mad tyte stuntaz" trying to impress their mates
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2009, 09:07 PM   #11
InTrail

When I lived in Melbourne, I'd occasionally go for a ride out that way. Started out just one mate and myself on 1000cc sports bike. We'd ride at a fair clip but always safely and 'just' within the road rules.

A few more guys started to ride with us, and as the group grew, so did the idiocy of the riders. Some of the guys I'd known for years and couldn't believe what f..kwits they became on their bikes.
These guys with families, overtaking across double white lines and blind corners, even up the shoulder or emergency stopping lane.

I never rode with most of them again, and if I was ever to drive/ride those roads again, I'd stick a camera on the dashboard/tank, and start collecting evidence.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:21 PM   #12
WILDB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It happens unfortunately as said above particularly in summer. I was out riding with my mates going up Mt Mee about a month ago doing 90km/h up the mountain and got overtaken by a guy on a sportsbike around a blind bend on the wrong side of the road like I was standing still. I simply could not understand how he could be so stupid but unfortunately it happens all the time, and unfortunately it smears the general motoring public's opinion of other motorcycle riders like myself.
WILDB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2009, 09:23 PM   #13
mad cow
blue oval addict

we are not all like that... it seems mostly to be newer riders who only want to go at stupid speeds. it never fails to suprise me how these idiots will go like a bat out of hell and only wearing a singlet shorts and runners!!!!! these gits have obviously never been in a prang on a bike as it would change their riding manners. btw yes i do ride, i have a cruiser and a sports/tourer, i like to go fast but there is a time and a place for everything.
mad cow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2009, 09:34 PM   #14
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

some people like living on the edge ,others like to dangle off it .they would of just been having fun and hopefully not putting others lives or their own at risk .i enjoy my blackbird ,unbelievable fast ,but im not up for dying any time soon .dont know the road so cant comment really .
Old 11-01-2009, 09:39 PM   #15
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

On the flip side, I was driving back from the coast and was thinking what the hold up was and to my surprise it was a chick on her motorbike. She had a Ninja and could have raped everyone there, but no she was doing 20km/h under the limit!
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2009, 09:42 PM   #16
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
On the flip side, I was driving back from the coast and was thinking what the hold up was and to my surprise it was a chick on her motorbike. She had a Ninja and could have raped everyone there, but no she was doing 20km/h under the limit!
You really have a way with words don't you.................

Old 11-01-2009, 09:50 PM   #17
LowEL2XR8
Mr Impulsive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP
:

Drove to Healesville with the family today.......nice day.......great opportunity to go for a nice drive in the GT with the family.....

Every inch of the way I'm getting overtaken by Motorbikes.......double white lines.......narrow roads........total disregard for everyone else on the road. Not just one rider doing it.........hordes of them !!!!!!!

I'm doing 100.........they're overtaking on the wrong side of the road with double whites like I'm standing still.......tailgating like mad.........waiting for any nano second opportunity to dart out from behind the car.......almost clipping mirrors and then off like mad down the wrong side of the road.

On one occasion.........there was one bike that overtook 4 cars......( me included ).........again double whites........just narrowly made it back into his lane before almost getting front on slammed by a TOYOTA HILUX coming the other way.........WTF !!!!!!!!...........everyone in my car was left stunned at the miniscule opportunity that this guy had to get back in and avoid a horrific disaster that would inevitably have involved my car as well.

Doesn't stop there.........one genius did almost the same thing with a passenger on the back !!!!!!!!

I understand that we should all be mindful and respectful on our roads........and we should particularly pay attention to our 2 wheel brethren........but today's atrocious display of disrespect and brazen idiocy on multiple occasions by different riders all within the same day left me gobsmacked and horrified............I'm still shaking my head hours after my drive today and just can't understand how so many can be so stupid and so openly careless............what's going on with these people ??
Wonder why motorcyclists have a bad name!!!!
They spoil it for the responsible motor bike riders. Not that there is many of them.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:51 PM   #18
HEMI POWER
N/A BOSS 390+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP
:

Was one a black Ducati 1098 s
ALL AUSSIE MUSCLE
HEMI POWER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2009, 09:52 PM   #19
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
You really have a way with words don't you.................
What exactly was wrong with what I had posted?
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2009, 09:55 PM   #20
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Nah.............it's not who you/we think it might be..........If it was, I would have followed him home and given him a right royal thrashing ( many times over ) for his idiocy !!!!!
Old 11-01-2009, 09:55 PM   #21
LowEL2XR8
Mr Impulsive

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMI POWER
Was one a black Ducati 1098 s
I would admit nothing if I were you. :
Old 11-01-2009, 09:57 PM   #22
Mark s
1.3 Litre Suzuki power

I had one fool come through the inside of me on the putty, not a happy camper. I think there was a girl killed around wisemans ferry a few years when someone cut in under her on a corner.

LowEL2XR8, go across to a motorcycle forum and I bet my left nut they would say exactly the same thing about car drivers/ cagers as termed on those forums. Seems there are idiots on both sides of the fence.

EF 4lt 1995 in Green on LPG. To and from work hack.

XY Fairmont 1971 in Bronze Wine, 302, Top Loader, 9" Still trying to find out if she is a GS or plain jane Monty.

Mustang 1966 coupe, Silver frost, A code, C4, factory bench seat, A/C, P/S rally pac, AM radio with 8 track. Awaiting funds for resto.

K6 Hayabusa....Dead Stock and why would one need to spend thousands on mods.................
Mark s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2009, 10:17 PM   #23
WILDB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad cow
It never fails to suprise me how these idiots will go like a bat out of hell and only wearing a singlet shorts and runners!!!!!
Funny you should say that because there seems to be an abundance of them riding sportsbikes here on the coast atm. I saw one just after I got my bike (yes I am a relatively new rider) wearing boardies, singlet and thongs which certainly would not be fun should he come off.
WILDB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2009, 10:22 PM   #24
VioletGT
Slow Sunday driver

I agree summer time and bikes... brings out the worst.... u know a good old fashion biker who sticks to the limits is when they have a hi vis vest on.... other then that the rest r krazy...
VioletGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2009, 10:23 PM   #25
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Happens up here every saturday and sunday. From Beerwah thru to Mt Mee and beyond. All the Mick Doohan wanna bees. As usual 5 % ruin it for the other 95% trying to do the right thing.........
Old 11-01-2009, 10:28 PM   #26
Rhysy

theres something wrong with the law.

im 19 and have an Aprilia RSV 1000.

I can drink a beer and jump on the bike with a passenger and do 110kmph at midnight. All on a bike that is capable of an 11 sec quarter mile and close enough to 300 kmph. LEGALLY!!!!

but i cant drive a turbo volvo with a 5 star safety rating, ABS, Traction control, or have anything above a 0 alcohol reading or go above 100 in a 110 Zone.
because im a green p plater.

there is no push by the public to make motorcycle laws harder because only the turbo skyline crashes made the headlines.

and back on topic.

you cant open up the full potential of these high performance sport bikes on the road without risking life and limb.

they are made for the race track. you cant corner on the road like you can on a race track, or accelerate or brake.
they arnt comfortable to ride in the speed limit. they want to be opened up.
the engine is more comfortable under heavy acceleration.

i dont wave my fist at them because i know the feeling.
Rhysy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2009, 10:30 PM   #27
Zed7fiddy
Temporary Australian

lol, try going for a "spirited ride" and some ****errrr in a GT is potting along 60kph corners dong 30kph, and yur mates have gone ahead, and you dont know where they are headed, well, hey look, it takes me .3 seconds to overtake affor mentioned GT, drop gear, bang, done here, i am in front and offf i go!

Build a bridge mate ;)

i take it you have never doen somethign stupid on the roads yourself, ever?
Zed7fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2009, 10:50 AM   #28
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhysy
they are made for the race track. you cant corner on the road like you can on a race track, or accelerate or brake.
they arnt comfortable to ride in the speed limit. they want to be opened up.
the engine is more comfortable under heavy acceleration.

i dont wave my fist at them because i know the feeling.
I rode a 2009 Hayabusa up Mount Buller the other day only using third gear and enjoyed it, big bikes certainly do not want to be opened up fully, big bore bikes are not wanting to be thrashed all the time. Any half decent rider on any twisty road if carrying any significant lean angle will not be 'thrashing' a bike. Half decent riders on powerful bikes always carry a gear or two higher than newbies and rarely on the road even really use the brakes hard at all.

But yes of course you can't use them on the road like on a racetrack. Which is also why for many people going to the track actually slows them down on the road as you quickly realise the lean angles that can be achieved and how absolutely crap you actually are at riding compared to people that can really ride. The deadset best way possible of bringing someone to the realisation that they have a lot to learn and perhaps on the road it is best to find a pace that you are comfortable with and stick to it without any risky heroics is to take them to a track day where there are decent riders. (My baptism of fire first time on the track included people with the surnames of Gobert and Fergusson)

Little bikes may want to be thrashed all the time but all litre sportsbikes these days will pull smoothly in top gear from 60km/h and are certainly not all about top end. Anyone that claims to be thrashing a big bore sportsbike out of a corner simply was hardly off vertical and was going around the previous corner LOTS slower than they could have been if they were riding properly. If on pack rides it is easy to see the risky riders, they gain all their speed on the straights and under brakes getting to big speeds between the corners while most people that have been around a while try to carry good corner speed and then give it a quick squirt out of the corner before rolling off again so they aren't doing 200+ before the next corner. As any of the sportsbikes will go from 0-100 in under 3 seconds, 100-200 in under 5 seconds, and do a quarter mile in the 9s with a very good pilot, or 10s with any sacks of spuds on their back. When you have that much performance available at all times the need to use it all the time becomes much less.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:19 AM   #29
ch33z1l
Dawn

I've been passed by several motorcyclist on my local suburban street, and that particular street has 3 or 4 families with children under 8yrs.

Nobody's a saint, but a little commonsense on the road where there are children should suffice.
ch33z1l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2009, 04:29 PM   #30
LowEL2XR8
Mr Impulsive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark s
LowEL2XR8, go across to a motorcycle forum and I bet my left nut they would say exactly the same thing about car drivers/ cagers as termed on those forums. Seems there are idiots on both sides of the fence.
I am a member of a couple of motorcycle forums even though I don't have a bike or a bike license. I joined those forums cause my brother owns a Ducati 1098S and they are a good bunch of people.
You are right however about them whinging about cars. However I haven't read a thread on those forums about them whinging went they weren't doing the wrong thing as well.