Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 08-04-2011, 09:44 PM   #1
Mickxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Telstra

Hi all. didnt want to drag my old thread up so here go`s
Had a knock on the door this arvo and Hey presto theres a telstra saleman there.
I was in a good mood so I invited him in for a "chat" . straight away I explained my hate thing about them (which was cool,nice bloke) He had his clipboard thing with him so I answered all the questions ,offers he had and at the end he said wow, no way tel$tra can beat that , (internet,voip mobile etc) Got of feel a bit sorry for the guy, could see the look in his eyes that he`s not liking his job.
Anyhows,, My tel$tra hate campain goes on

Old 08-04-2011, 10:47 PM   #2
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Telstra

Yeh a bit like Great Wall vs Nissan or Toyota.....they are all exactly the same just the great walls are cheaper......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2011, 10:50 PM   #3
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

and somewhere all you can get is telstra......
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2011, 10:51 PM   #4
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Telstra, pah, couldn't match my optus deal, offered me two iPhone 4's, still I wouldn't budge, offered me an ipad, still no dice...it was hilarious listening to the grovel!
For the record, there is no good phone company, just that all of them are on varying levels of hatred depending on your bill/coverage.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2011, 10:55 PM   #5
shedcoupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good news today. Went in to a V***phone shop and asked if I could change my Telstra pre-paid to them and still keep the phone number. Kid said that I could (so I guess he's right) but I wouldn't be able to transfer the credit, so when the credit runs out I'm out of Telstra's incompetent clutches.
Shames me to not spend money on an Aussie company but hey, I don't want to keep rewarding stupidity.
shedcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2011, 11:17 PM   #6
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Telstra did work on my line for a fault on behalf of iinet. They apparantly changed something and hey presto my net is now 25% slower, not even fluctuating, it is consistantly throwing out speeds 25% slower than it has been this last week. The reason they were doing work was up until monday when they supposedly completed the codes for iinet, everything was fine. Then between mon night and today I had over 100 full disconnections.
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2011, 11:29 PM   #7
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudz27
Telstra did work on my line for a fault on behalf of iinet. They apparantly changed something and hey presto my net is now 25% slower, not even fluctuating, it is consistantly throwing out speeds 25% slower than it has been this last week. The reason they were doing work was up until monday when they supposedly completed the codes for iinet, everything was fine. Then between mon night and today I had over 100 full disconnections.
Well tell them to stick their line and get an iinet one.....
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2011, 11:32 PM   #8
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
What areas are these available in? I was of the understanding lines were either Telstra or Optus (but mostly Telstra). I wonder if I can get one here...

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
SEZ213 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2011, 11:35 PM   #9
XAGSV8
Member 178

I always get them at my door as well. When I tell them why I will never go back to Telstra they nod their heads and say they don't blame me after hearing my story.

1963 Morris Mini

1999 NU Fairlane Ghia
XAGSV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2011, 12:36 AM   #10
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
and somewhere all you can get is telstra......
The only places that is true is fibre to the home installations done by Telstra (Point Cook is one of the top of my head) and cable. If it's ADSL over a phone line, then you can get it from other providers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sezzy
What areas are these available in? I was of the understanding lines were either Telstra or Optus (but mostly Telstra). I wonder if I can get one here...
It's a bit of sarcasm on Flappist's behalf. You can't get anyone apart from Telstra for the copper run between the exchange and your house. Optus do have their own HFC rollout which is the only alternative should it be available in your area.

On a personal note, I would never go with Telstra for ADSL. Too expensive. I will however not go with anyone else but Telstra for mobile for their better coverage than the other providers. If I lived in the city then I might be swayed, but out of the metro area, you can't beat their coverage.
Old 09-04-2011, 12:42 AM   #11
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Telstra own all the lines the other providers just lease them off telstra at a wholesale rate
when it comes to mobiles sure there are cheaper than telstra but depending where you want to use it it may not work. think of it like this car A is cheaper than car B but car A will only run on city roads and will come to a grinding halt when you hit country roads where car B runs on the country roads. that the same with telstra mobile and the cheaper providers and I know that from bitter experience. I'm not saying Telstra are perfect, far from it but when it comes to mobiles they are the only sane choice for many of us. I have tried optus (most cheap providers use the optus network) and vodafone ( the worst non metro coverage of them all) and I would rather pay more to have a service that works where I need it.

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2011, 12:56 AM   #12
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey
The only places that is true is fibre to the home installations done by Telstra (Point Cook is one of the top of my head) and cable. If it's ADSL over a phone line, then you can get it from other providers.

It's a bit of sarcasm on Flappist's behalf. You can't get anyone apart from Telstra for the copper run between the exchange and your house. Optus do have their own HFC rollout which is the only alternative should it be available in your area.

On a personal note, I would never go with Telstra for ADSL. Too expensive. I will however not go with anyone else but Telstra for mobile for their better coverage than the other providers. If I lived in the city then I might be swayed, but out of the metro area, you can't beat their coverage.
I guess I was just a bit optimistic... :(

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
SEZ213 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2011, 11:39 AM   #13
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Telstra is the only provider with ADSL2+ equipment in my exchange, so I'm with them, I used to be with Internode for my ADSL.

Its not too bad, I'm on 100GB downloads, top home phone plan for $128 a month (was like $140 but we opted out for the T-box hunk of crap).

I;m with Telstra for my mobile because they're the only people who cover my area perfectly, everyones like blah blah blah Telstra are crap you're getting ripped off, whats the point of paying less for something I can't use anyway?
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2011, 12:42 AM   #14
MYVYSS
Back where I belong

Quote:
Originally Posted by shedcoupe
Good news today. Went in to a V***phone shop and asked if I could change my Telstra pre-paid to them and still keep the phone number. Kid said that I could (so I guess he's right) but I wouldn't be able to transfer the credit, so when the credit runs out I'm out of Telstra's incompetent clutches.
Shames me to not spend money on an Aussie company but hey, I don't want to keep rewarding stupidity.

I will look with interest of your raging about lack of coverage, lack of 3G network, Lack of SMS, MMS and everything else.

Home Phone is with iiNet along with ADSL2+ 18mbps connection 200GB a month.

Mobiles have been and always will be with Telstra. Why, I used to travel for work heaps and I have never seen anyone of the "others" come close to the network strength, connectivity and or just coverage as Telstra. Telstra are the most expensive in most cases why? cause they have the BEST coverage, the BEST network by miles.

Just remember cause its true, you get what you pay for...

Craig
MYVYSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post