Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 24-06-2015, 06:15 PM   #1
HULK_I6T
Banned

Default People that sell problematic cars and don't disclose?

A friend of mine just bought a BA falcon XR6 n/a as his first car. He is only 18 and saved his money for it. It has 146,000km and he paid it $7000.. He was pretty happy about it and it looks very neat in Mercury Silver.

Showed me his car and listed all of "his plans" for it.. You can see that excitement in a youngster with his first car, everyone knows that feeling.

Next time I saw him I asked him about the car, he said it leaks oil. He Took it to the mechanic and ****ZING**** real main seal and $650 he doesn't have.

He said it leaks a fair bit of oil so previous owner must have mopped it up and flogged it off rather than spend the money to fix it.. HE said he checked the car and saw no signs of leaks so the previous owner did a bobby dazzler of a mop up. He said he looked where the owner said he parks it and there was no spots. (I dont think that was its legitimate parking spot), he even asked the seller a direct question, does it leak oil or coolant and the seller said "no, never".

That leads me to my question, is it a dog act to sell off a car to someone knowing there is an issue with it that's either expensive to repair or may leave them stranded somewhere? It may have a checkered history but sellers pass it off as a woman driver etc.

I have always fixed any issue with my cars before they are sold and/or disclosed anything that may be an issue to a buyer. Its a car at the end of the day and why would you want to short change someone and have them want to square you up. Not worth it in my book.

But it seems that many sellers out there systematically try and flog off problematic cars to either make a buck or make it the next blokes problem. It really does boil my blood. Purporting the car is of one standard but knowing its another.

HAve you sold off a problematic car? or do you fix properly or disclose any issues and take a bath on the price.

Last edited by HULK_I6T; 24-06-2015 at 06:41 PM.
This user likes this post:
Old 24-06-2015, 06:18 PM   #2
MrEL
Sick Puppy

Default Re: People that sell problematic cars and don't disclose?

If there was no signs of oil leaking when he looked at it maybe just maybe it started leaking after he bought it???????????????????????????

They have to start leaking sometime , who says he wasn't unlucky and it happened to be when he had it?
4 users like this post:
Old 24-06-2015, 06:19 PM   #3
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

It really is the buyers responsibility to thoroughly inspect a vehicle before purchase. If the seller does not accept this, then walk away.

Simple.
Old 24-06-2015, 06:20 PM   #4
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Driveway warranty
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
Old 24-06-2015, 06:20 PM   #5
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Buyer beware!
Why do you assume the previous owner was aware of any problem?
9 users like this post:
Old 24-06-2015, 06:25 PM   #6
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Thats what you get when you buy a BA XR6 for 7k....

He should have bought a 10 year old Corolla instead.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Old 24-06-2015, 06:27 PM   #7
Trump
bitch lasagne

Oh dear...
2 users like this post:
Old 24-06-2015, 06:30 PM   #8
JIm260
2004 XR8

Looks like some previous posters have "form" you know what your cars condition is, dont even try to tell me it happened right after you bought it!!

Cheers
JIm
Old 24-06-2015, 06:33 PM   #9
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Pursuit View Post
Thats what you get when you buy a BA XR6 for 7k....

He should have bought a 10 year old Corolla instead.
Well BA's are worth that if not less.

But there have been times when I have sold a car and a week later Im notified of an issue I never knew about...not much we can do with that.

As I am yet to buy a brand new car (bet yet is 3 years old), then I ALWAYS budget $1k in random stuff to be fixed on the first service.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
4 users like this post:
Old 24-06-2015, 06:39 PM   #10
MrEL
Sick Puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIm260 View Post
Looks like some previous posters have "form" you know what your cars condition is, dont even try to tell me it happened right after you bought it!!

Cheers
JIm
Huh?
How long is it from the time of purchase to the time it started leaking?

Ive had a rear main let go before when Ive just been out on a drive. No oil leak when I left and leaking oil when I got home.

If your pointing a finger at me with your "form" comment you are truly a person of low intelligence.
Old 24-06-2015, 06:40 PM   #11
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEL View Post
If there was no signs of oil leaking when he looked at it maybe just maybe it started leaking after he bought it???????????????????????????

They have to start leaking sometime , who says he wasn't unlucky and it happened to be when he had it?
whilst that scenario is possible, its highly unlikely.

No leaks for 146000km and then considerable leaks at 146001km?

Seller must have known as parking on the driveway it leaves spots everytime he drives it.. Seller has even been deceiptful as he claims it was always parked in a position where there was no oil spots.

also buyer picked up car on a thursday and showed it to me late evening and then I saw him the following Sunday morning again when he advised it leaks all over the shop.

Last edited by HULK_I6T; 24-06-2015 at 06:46 PM.
Old 24-06-2015, 06:43 PM   #12
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

I sold my R1 to a mate recently. Its never missed a beat nor had any issues in 8 years of ownership. A week into owning it, he's said that its started cutting out and had a flat battery.

Am I to blame for this? It never missed a beat while with me and I can see how he might feel I hid these things (which I didnt). I offered to fix the problems to a certain degree but beyond that, I'm not in a financial position to provide warranty on the purchase.

Similarly, when I sold my Audi TT a few years ago, I sold it to a lady to whom I'd said the vehicle had no issues at all. I got her a pink slip and then did a final check when I noticed a nail in the tyre. I already had the pink slip (they did a crap job clearly). Took the car to get a plug for it only to find out that the tyre couldnt be saved (had camber wear that I didnt pick up on earlier either that affected the repair of where the nail had gone in).

I bought two new tyres and sold the car as I had given my word that she didnt need to spend any more money on it at that point.

But each to their own. I believe in keeping my word and I couldnt sell a car/bike that I wouldnt want to buy.

What goes around comes around...
4 users like this post:
Old 24-06-2015, 06:46 PM   #13
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_I6T View Post
whilst that scenario is possible, its highly unlikely.

No leaks for 146000km and then considerable leaks at 146001km?

Buyer must have known as parking on the driveway it leaves spots everytime he drives it.. Buyer has even been deceiptful as he claims it was always parked in a position where there was no oil spots.

also buyer picked up car on a thursday and showed it to me late evening and then I saw him the following Sunday morning again when he advised it leaks all over the shop.
Pay $200 for a proper check before handing over $7000...its pretty simple.

More so if your not car savvy.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 24-06-2015, 06:48 PM   #14
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
Pay $200 for a proper check before handing over $7000...its pretty simple.

More so if your not car savvy.
Agree this is good practise but its a dog act to sell something knowingly that its got issues and pass it off as it being perfect condition, nothing to spend etc.

Could you imagine receiving cash from a buyer that had fake notes in it? Same as selling a dodgy car knowing its issues but not disclosing them. A dog act.
Old 24-06-2015, 06:56 PM   #15
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

I had one I didn't want to sell years ago it needed some work so I sent it to the auctions, someone bought it cheap but it needed @2k spent on it to fix front end suspension and rear main oil leak, my conscience is clear. Car showed up in a car yard shortly after asking @4.5k over what was paid for it at auction. Saw it advertised but I didn't look at it to see if it was repaired properly.
I check mine on a hoist before buying if 2nd hand and invite my mate the beater to cast his eye over them for repairs whilst its up in the air, has worked well for me so far when buying used cars.

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
Old 24-06-2015, 06:58 PM   #16
dirty hands
Over Thinker

I have no problem trading in a problematic car to a dealer for another car

Selling a problematic car to a person
when its registered and passing inspection-and you dont disclose all its faults -- is a low act

unregistered and as is -- I have no problem there
Old 24-06-2015, 07:03 PM   #17
JIm260
2004 XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEL View Post
Huh?
How long is it from the time of purchase to the time it started leaking?

Ive had a rear main let go before when Ive just been out on a drive. No oil leak when I left and leaking oil when I got home.

If your pointing a finger at me with your "form" comment you are truly a person of low intelligence.
Or perhaps someone who has been bitten!
Old 24-06-2015, 07:11 PM   #18
Tex Scrotum
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Rear mains leak Pfffffttt!
That's nothing.
My first car blew head gaskets every 80kms.
That car taught me a lot 😉
2 users like this post:
Old 24-06-2015, 07:15 PM   #19
scottyg938
Stock Boss

he should have got one with under 100,000km on it

Blueprint | Manual | Leather | Premium sound | Sunroof | Shockworks coilovers | TrueTrac + 3.73 Diff Gears
Old 24-06-2015, 07:23 PM   #20
Lunch
Wait, what?

I bought a car off a guy that seemed too good to be true but it was the exact car id been looking for for about 8 months, there were a few questionable issues with the whole scenario but the seller had, what i thought, were good reasons, even when i asked why he was getting rid of the car he told me that while he was in hospital recovering from cancer his missus did the dirty on him and they were parting ways and selling their assets as a result, i wasnt goin to question that so after doing a write off check and coming back all clear, the sale went ahead, i even hooked him up with some cash ( at his request) so he didnt have to go 50/50 with his ex.
A month later i had a small accident and it went to the panel shop, when i turned up to pick the car up the owner of the panel shop took me aside and asked how long I'd had the car and that at some stage it has had the whole passenger side replaced which really had me angry but as with most things, time calmed my agression, 2 further months and the noises coming from the drivetrain were beginning to concern me but i figured what ever it was, id get around to fixing it, then my lovely missus bought me a wiz bang keyless entry utelid but when the place was fitting the lid i got a call telling me my tub was 25mm out of square i got screwed good and propper, i started doubting all his BS and if he hadn't had cancer i was wishing it upon him!!
I knew i wouldnt be able to look a private buyer in the eye and tell them the car was perfect but i wasnt getting stuck with a twisted pos either, 3 days later i traded it because i figured that being a 4 year old car, a car dealer had to sell it with a dealer warranty and that the next owner would be able to hit the dealer up if anything failed, that was the only way i could live without the guilt....
2 users like this post:
Old 24-06-2015, 07:32 PM   #21
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Dog act or not, There are dodgy characters no matter where you look when buying something. You just have to be on the ball and make sure you everything in your power to check the item before buying. That is why it's cheaper to buy privately than from a dealer.

The onus is on YOU the purchaser to cover yourself and do what is needed before doing the deal. Taking the sellers 'word' in this day and age is extremely risky.

I was looking at a Subaru Liberty Spec B before buying my current car. It had low km and was in excellent condition and was well looked after.

Now I could have done the deal then and there but I thought for the peace of mind, I will get an independent inspection done. Low and behold, there was some suspicious things that popped up and one was that the vin numbers didnt match the engine and body.

Now that doesnt mean much to most lay people and I could have just accepted it and bought the car, but I didnt feel right about it and the owner had no explanation that he was going to offer me, so I walked.

That was a $180 inspection report spent that I will never get back but at the same time it has potentially saved me a lot more. Did I think the seller was a dog for not telling me? Not really. I did my homework. He tried to hide something and got found out. The onus was on me as the potential buyer to do all the required checks and inspections before purchase. It's no different for anyone else.

Some ppl will try to pull the wool over your eyes, but you are more of an idiot for taking ppl on face value in my opinion when it comes to business deals.

Like anything in this world, DO YOU'RE HOMEWORK!!!!

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 24-06-2015, 07:35 PM   #22
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why blame the seller for something that might not have been a problem when he had it ??? It could easily been the young fellas fault thrashing it racing aurions ???? Maybe it just started after he sold it, you do realize leaks have to start somewere.
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
Old 24-06-2015, 07:41 PM   #23
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon SXR8 View Post
Why blame the seller for something that might not have been a problem when he had it ??? It could easily been the young fellas fault thrashing it racing aurions ???? Maybe it just started after he sold it, you do realize leaks have to start somewere.
Sure they do, nothing for 146000km and then major leak at 146001? Either it's a 1/146001 chance of happening, or the seller performed a dog act.

By the way you have a 1/12000 of being hit by lightening in your lifetime. So it's 12 times more likely being hit by lightening than the leak starting a moment after he drove off with car.
Old 24-06-2015, 07:42 PM   #24
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Hulk did your young friend buy the vehicle with or without a RWC ?.
Old 24-06-2015, 07:44 PM   #25
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8 View Post
Hulk did your young friend buy the vehicle with or without a RWC ?.
It has a fair bit of rego from memory, so don't know.
Old 24-06-2015, 07:45 PM   #26
olfella
Cranky old bastard

I had an FG and was told at a service the timing cover was leaking oil. So I sold it to a mate - never told him what the Ford service blokes reported. Anyway, two years on, and still no leak from any where. Am a firm believer of buyer beware and thats why seller are prepared to let things go for a bit less.
Old 24-06-2015, 07:51 PM   #27
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by olfella View Post
I had an FG and was told at a service the timing cover was leaking oil. So I sold it to a mate - never told him what the Ford service blokes reported.
With mates like you who needs enemies.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

3 users like this post:
Old 24-06-2015, 07:56 PM   #28
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_I6T View Post
It has a fair bit of rego from memory, so don't know.
Well it would pay to ask him, because if he did buy it with a RWC, then who ever provided that RWC has done a dodgy, because if it were leaking before hand like you assume then the inspector would/should have seen this while up on a hoist.

And if so then really your young friend has been shafted and might have some grounds to pursue the person/company who signed off the certificate if it hasn’t been to long of a time frame.

But he has learnt a valuable lesson here hopefully, it pay’s to get a independent pre inspection even if it does cost him and the car is found to be a dodgy.
Old 24-06-2015, 07:56 PM   #29
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

On the other side of the coin -

Many years ago I sold my 68 Mustang, a week later the guy rings up (from the USA where he was based!!) and said the gearbox went up in smoke while doing a burnout and was hinting that I do something about it.

He was a Mustang lover and had a Drew Alcazar concourse rebuilt Shelby Mustang so knew his stuff, he took the car for a full on RAC check and the report came back shining in all aspects as I expected due to me virtually rebuilding the thing with my own hands and on top of that, the trans (a C4) was completely rebuilt, new input shaft etc and was still under warranty which I passed onto him (the only thing I didn't do myself).

Needless to say, I wasn't going to fork out to fix it.
Old 24-06-2015, 08:00 PM   #30
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon SXR8 View Post
Yeah, young punk's first car....got it, gave it a good hiding for a few days, bam 146K KM car start leaking oil.

Now the young punk got some "know it all" in his corner too.

Feel sorry for the seller really.
Closed Thread