Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 12-07-2014, 08:00 PM   #1
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Default Amazon pushing for drones to deliver products.

http://finance.ninemsn.com.au/newsbu...or-drone-tests

Quote:
Online giant Amazon has sought permission for drone test flights in the United States, saying it is moving forward on plans for deliveries using the unmanned aircraft.

In a letter to the Federal Aviation Administration made public this week, Amazon said that because of restrictions on drones in US airspace, it has been conducting test flights indoors and in other countries.

"Of course, Amazon would prefer to keep the focus, jobs, and investment of this important research and development initiative in the United States by conducting private research and development operations outdoors near Seattle," the letter said.

Amazon said an exemption to FAA rules would be "in the public interest" and "is a necessary step towards realising the consumer benefits of Amazon Prime Air," which company founder Jeff Bezos has described as a plan for drone delivery to consumers.

Bezos unveiled his idea for drone deliveries last December, and said the company would be ready to launch Amazon Prime Air as early as 2015 if FAA regulations allowed.

The letter said that over the past five months, "we have made advancements toward the development of highly-automated aerial vehicles for Prime Air," which travel at over 80 kilometres per hour and can carry loads up to 2.2 kilos.

The letter to the FAA said granting the request "will do nothing more than allow Amazon to do what thousands of hobbyists and manufacturers of model aircraft do every day, and we will abide by much stronger safety measures than currently required for these groups".

Amazon's plan is to allow for deliveries of some goods within 30 minutes of an order.

Amazon said it would conduct the tests on its own property in the northwest state of Washington, and on FAA-approved test sites.

It added that "one day, seeing Amazon Prime Air will be as normal as seeing mail trucks on the road today, resulting in enormous benefits for consumers across the nation."
I remember seeing a similar video to this about the same thing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7K2aJgvpdw

The advances we have achieved in the past 20-30 years are nothing compared to what we (I) hope to see in the next 20-30 years IMO.

While delivering a product via RC helicopter isn't all that sexy I wonder what was once science fiction will become fact within the next generation?

Faster travel through space? Extending life (and quality of life)? More intricate bionic parts? Faster / cheaper mass transport? World peace? Abolition of hunger?

Who has ever watched a Sci-fi movie and wondered when we will start to have some of the stuff we see in Star Trek / Star Wars / I-Robot / Robocop etc. Remember "Beyond 2000"!?!?!

Look at computers - it wasn't that long ago that you could measure a HDD in mb and you could count the colours on the screen on one hand.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 12-07-2014, 08:18 PM   #2
Nova 8

Default Re: Amazon pushing for drones to deliver products.

Its amazing that big business is getting held back in USA, I thought they did everything possible over there to please big business and squash civil rights. Personally I don't know how I'd feel having a crap tonne of drones flying round dropping stuff off a mere 30mins after its ordered. Not cause I'm scared of the tech but rather because people spend too much time in doors as it is. Soon we will all have those fat seats from Wall-E.

As for the tech increase rate, I think I read somewhere that the current Xbox live server has more computing power than the world at the turn of the century. Moore's law says computing power doubles every 2 years which is slower than reality.