Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-04-2023, 12:14 PM   #61
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Re: VE Commodore Front Structure

D’you reckon this is Red Passion? This is the bonnet.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/195706327212
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2023, 12:38 PM   #62
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep, that looks like it.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2023, 12:40 PM   #63
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Of that VIN? You’re awesome!
Nope, thats from the crashed car, just made another call with the second VIN and its the same Red Passion, but paint code is 26U which matches up with 352N elsewhere
Old 27-04-2023, 07:30 PM   #64
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Ironically, still chasing the complete radiator support assembly.

Have radiator (in the car already), bumper, bonnet in matching red, headlights…

Any new “spots” welcome. Trying to snag the radiator support complete with washer reservoir and pump, wiring, front reo and impact absorber.
Old 27-04-2023, 09:53 PM   #65
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

Surely the rad support isnt that hard to get?
Old 27-04-2023, 10:28 PM   #66
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

The reason I’m mostly chasing private wrecks is wanting the whole lot removed as one - rather than assembled from bits bought separately. Less risk of missing clips or getting the routing of harnesses/hoses wrong. Plus the backyarders are likely to be a little sharper on price. I’m sure I could get it as desired from a legit business at $400-$450, but looking to pay half that if possible.

Running parts tally $975.02 excluding paint materials, but I now have a pair of spare foglights that might be worth $25?

E46 lands tomorrow I think, going to be absolute chaos in my street.
Old 28-04-2023, 12:29 AM   #67
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Same fog lights (VE1) also fit FG1, Focus, transit etc.
I bought a pair when I needed one in the FG. The other went into my wife’s VE.

The $25 eBay ones have a “fake” adjuster on them - it’s just a bit of plastic glued in place to look like an adjuster. Genuine ones have a working height adjuster.
5 users like this post:
Old 29-04-2023, 07:16 PM   #68
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Friday saw me line up a complete front support and reo structure as desired. $250 and no ghosting, collect Gosford West on Monday.

The beautiful link back to AFF is it’s from the same semi-private wrecker who sold me the engine for Dover in May 2020. Round, like a circle in a spiral, like a wheel within a wheel…
This user likes this post:
Old 29-04-2023, 07:32 PM   #69
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Friday saw me line up a complete front support and reo structure as desired. $250 and no ghosting, collect Gosford West on Monday.

The beautiful link back to AFF is it’s from the same semi-private wrecker who sold me the engine for Dover in May 2020. Round, like a circle in a spiral, like a wheel within a wheel
Or a Windmill?
Old 29-04-2023, 09:56 PM   #70
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

One for Interceptor or Commodorenutt, perhaps.

Front parking sensors - donor bar is blank - can I just super carefully copy the locations, or are there any model specific “gotchas”?
Old 30-04-2023, 06:19 AM   #71
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

Not that I'm aware of, dont quote me but a blank bumper might even have marks moulded into the back of it where to drill....
Old 30-04-2023, 11:08 AM   #72
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

This is how it’s marked (one side of the bar):

Kind of looks like it’s made to fit a template.

With the combination steering cooler and condenser, is the steering fluid just in the bottom few tubes? I’d like to cut the bulk of the condenser off, if possible, as it’s badly distorted and also ruptured.

Shopping around for timing kits still, about $1000 delivered from RockAuto is the cheapest genuine kit I can scare up. That excludes cam sprockets and some bolts but includes an oil pump.
Old 30-04-2023, 07:20 PM   #73
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

The sensors IIRC sat in an additional housing that was stuck to the back of the bar with an epoxy or urethane adhesive.

I dont recall the PS cooler being part of the condensor though?
Old 30-04-2023, 07:30 PM   #74
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

S1 had the PAS cooler integrated with the condenser, obviously a rubbish idea as they dumped it for S2.

A bit more reading suggests that the parking sensor kits had paper templates, so a careful copying should be fine. I should be able to recover any bonded brackets if they’re not badly smushed.
Old 01-05-2023, 07:14 PM   #75
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Something to gratify the people who’ve helped in this thread. Replacement bonnet fitted. I split the skin off the old one, to recover all fixings.
Rails seem OK, save for a little bending right at the actual fixing flange - easily worked up. Not that I ever doubted PJ.
3 users like this post:
Old 01-05-2023, 10:27 PM   #76
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor View Post
The sensors IIRC sat in an additional housing that was stuck to the back of the bar with an epoxy or urethane adhesive.

I dont recall the PS cooler being part of the condensor though?
Here’s the cooler details:

And the parking sensor mounts, it can be seen how they index to the horizontal bosses I posted pictures of earlier. Interesting adhesive used, had expected something like black Sika 227.

2 users like this post:
Old 02-05-2023, 01:22 AM   #77
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

Well I'll be.....
Old 02-05-2023, 01:26 AM   #78
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

What a **** idea that is with the power steering cooler going to the condensor, the condensor gets warm from the operation of the AC system - thats where all the heat goes!
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2023, 05:53 AM   #79
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Not their finest hour, that design choice. Perhaps Behr, who were OEM on the cooling system parts, sold the idea. (Maybe a cold climate solution to regulate system temperatures?)

I have to concede the front comes apart quite logically and very easily. I would rather work on this, than the project E46.
Old 02-05-2023, 10:32 PM   #80
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Those parking sensor mounts should come off easy enough. I’ve had 2 fall off, and when I pulled the bar off to fix them, I decided to do the other 2 as well. Gentle persuasion with a paint scraper and the oem adhesive let go easily. I put them back in place with sika urethane. Just clean it up well with Acetone first. They ain’t moving!

You can see how those 2 moulded nubs give you the location for the mount. I would line it up and use the mount to give you the centre of the hole you need to drill. If you want to make a template you’re welcome to come and lay some tape across my car, but I doubt you’ll need to.
Old 02-05-2023, 11:19 PM   #81
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Thanks - I just tried with a spatula and two of them came right off. Confident now to carry on. 🙂

Lost a whole day to other missions but will be back onto it tomorrow. Wondering how a PDR person might go with the raised-up guard “ears” as they’re not creased to the point of paint breaking.
Old 03-05-2023, 09:02 PM   #82
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Question on fitting up the radiator support and reinforcement. Do I dummy up the support by itself first, then centre/level the reinforcement - or do I centre the reo on the radiator support and fit them just once as a pair?
Old 03-05-2023, 11:47 PM   #83
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looking at the bends in the guards, I think it won’t be long before that paint visibly cracks. You probably can’t see it, but I’d suggest it’s already got fine cracks, and once moisture and rust do their work, you’ll see them. I had unbroken paint on some dents from a tree on my FG that looked like PDR would get it out, but the PDR guy said he wouldn’t do it because the paint would not hold. Sure enough, a few months later visible splits appeared in the paint.

Did the guy selling the bonnet have guards in the same colour?

With the reo, you may have to loosen the bolts and give it a few bumps to get the front bumper to sit right. The bumper does attach up high, and has a backing matrix, so it does look like it fits well, but if you have saggy gaps under the headlights you’ll need to bump the alloy beam up a bit higher to lift everything behind the bumper cover.
Old 04-05-2023, 05:42 AM   #84
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Thanks. I completely dismantled the donor radiator support for cleaning and noted large fixing holes for the reinforcement.

Good point on the PDR, the bonnet came from JJ so no great favours on price. Guards off the same car would run me another $420/pair and the doors would likely have to be blended.
Old 04-05-2023, 01:00 PM   #85
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

This is where the structural damage stops. Pretty trivial, easy to cold work.

A good design for low speed collision repairability. Not sure on the higher G-force ideas, perhaps designed to tear away and not stop the power train from submarining.
Old 04-05-2023, 10:57 PM   #86
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They are designed to concertina in a heavier crash - controlled deformation.
They can’t be pulled out and reused - the whole rail has to be replaced for an insurance repair. You can see why someone made plywood spacers in that damaged and shonky repaired one I saw at the wreckers.

The design of those rails was the major talking point at the trade night I went to when the VE was first released, and Holden did promo videos for the crash repair industry to explain all the high strength steel and repair methods. 17 years later, the cost of repairs like that far exceeds what a lot of them are worth.
Old 05-05-2023, 12:00 AM   #87
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

It’s looking like the guards would be better off changed, I can’t get them to resume anything approaching the correct “wind” at their lower front edge where it meets the bumper and radiator support. I’m sure a sandbag and hammers, dollies would help it along but that’s above my skill set for a tidy result.

I confess to using (dull red) heat just on those flange kinks pictured, it made all the difference. I’d also clamped a massive old bench vice onto the rail as a backer for working these areas.
2 users like this post:
Old 05-05-2023, 02:29 PM   #88
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

DIY steering cooler, cut from condenser. Brackets were prised off, the drier cartridge recovered and then cutting started.

It’s interesting to note the empty tubes either side of the fluid line, and the weepholes.

Old 06-05-2023, 08:49 PM   #89
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

OK, these cars have a smart alternator. Can I charge it through the underbonnet lugs used for jump starting? Having been barely driven in three weeks, yet locked, unlocked, open and shut many times - it would be ideal to top up the charge.
Old 06-05-2023, 10:06 PM   #90
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
OK, these cars have a smart alternator. Can I charge it through the underbonnet lugs used for jump starting? Having been barely driven in three weeks, yet locked, unlocked, open and shut many times - it would be ideal to top up the charge.
Should be fine, they're nothing special
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post