Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 18-01-2011, 06:17 AM   #1
Scaffy
Rlegaur Mbemer

Default Climate Change

If I did have any concerns about the size of my carbon footprint (which I didn't), then I certainly wouldn't be too worried about it now!

I got this in an email today. I'm sure some of you have received it already, maybe even months ago, but thought I'd share...

All of you out there across the globe who have fought so hard to tackle the hideous enemy of our planet, namely carbon emissions, you know .....that bogus god you worship of "Climate Change" or "Global Warming"......well, I feel it is necessary to inform you of some bad news. It really does pain me to have to bring you this disappointing information.

Are you sitting down?

Okay, here's the bombshell. The current volcanic eruption going on in Iceland, since its first spewing of volcanic ash has, in just FOUR DAYS, NEGATED EVERY SINGLE EFFORT you have made in the past five years to control CO2 emissions on our planet - all of you.

Of course you know about this evil carbon dioxide that we are trying to suppress - it's that vital chemical compound that every plant requires to live and grow and to synthesise into oxygen for us humans and all animal life.

I know, I know.... (group hug)...it's very disheartening to realise that all of the carbon emission savings you have accomplished while suffering the inconvenience and expense of: driving Prius hybrids, buying fabric grocery bags, sitting up till midnight to finish your kid's "The Green Revolution" science project, throwing out all of your non-green cleaning supplies, using only two squares of toilet paper, putting a brick in your toilet tank reservoir, selling your SUV and speedboat, vacationing at home instead of Bali, nearly getting hit every day on your bicycle, replacing all of your $1 light bulbs with $10 light bulbs ...well, all of those things you have done have all gone down the tubes in just four days.

The volcanic ash emitted into the Earth's atmosphere in just four days - yes - FOUR DAYS ONLY by that volcano in Iceland, has totally erased every single effort you have made to reduce the evil beast, carbon. And there are around 200 active volcanoes on the planet spewing out this crud any one time - EVERY DAY.

Oh, I don't really want to rain on your parade too much, but I should mention that when the volcano Mt Pinatubo erupted in the Philippines in 1991, it spewed out more greenhouse gases into the atmosphere than the entire human race had emitted in its entire time on earth. Yes folks, Mt Pinatubo was active for over one year - think about it.

Of course I shouldn't spoil this touchy-feely tree-hugging moment and mention the effect of solar and cosmic activity and the well-recognised 800-year global heating and cooling cycle, which keep happening, despite our completely insignificant efforts to affect climate change.

I'm so sorry. And I do wish I had a silver lining to this volcanic ash cloud but the fact of the matter is that the bush fire season across the western USA and Australia this year alone will negate all your efforts to reduce carbon in our world for the next two to three years. And it happens every year?.

Just remember that your government just tried to impose a whopping carbon tax on you on the basis of the bogus "human-caused" climate change scenario. No mention of a Tax on all the emissions caused by Prescribed Bush Fire Burning?

The Prescribed forest burning in Victoria alone puts more c02 into the atmosphere that all power generation in Australia in one year?

Hey, isn't it interesting how they don't mention "Global Warming" any more, but just "Climate Change" - you know why? It's because the planet has COOLED by 0.7 degrees in the past century and these global warming ******** artists got caught with their pants down.

And just keep in mind that now the same government is in control, you will have an Emissions Trading Scheme - that whopping new tax - imposed on you, that will achieve absolutely nothing except make you poorer. It won't stop any volcanoes from erupting, that's for sure! So much for "social justice", the frequently used catch phrase used by governments to convince the voting populace that their policies will somehow benefit the not so well off!

[YEAH NAH] Red EL XR8 with Trick Flow top end kit, 70mm tb, 73mm maf, 24lb injectors, tweecer, 3.73s & tired T5 = 275rwhp & 13.155@105mph NA. 12.375@116.73 N2O - Off the road, awaiting 347 293ci and Astro Performance gear-kitted T5 (A5)

White EL Series II XR8, manual, high flow cats, single 3" exhaust and Quarterhorse = 236rwhp and 14.18@97.5mph - E7 heads FTW! - SOLD
Old 18-01-2011, 06:35 AM   #2
Mickxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interesting.
this is gonna open a can of worms

Last edited by Mickxr8; 18-01-2011 at 06:36 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 18-01-2011, 08:43 AM   #3
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickxr8
Interesting.
this is gonna open a can of worms
I'll play, unfortunately this wasn't sent to me in an email. I had to actually look for it.
http://www.science.org.au/policy/climatechange.html
Old 18-01-2011, 09:39 AM   #4
ltd
Force Fed Fords

The climate change cult is set for a big shake up with the fallout of recent natural disasters (fires and floods), and Bob Brown has put his foot in it trying to pin it on coal and climate change. Thanks Bob, we're still counting our losses as a nation and you come up with this garbage you inconsiderate twat.
Anyway, a mate of mine sent me the link to this video, I'd love to send it to Bob Brown and the ecotards just to upset them. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvboRU6_MA8&feature=fvw

The bit at 0:45 makes me laugh, I'd love to do that in front of the next Greens or climate change rally.

Quote:
Powered by GE
Old 18-01-2011, 09:46 AM   #5
colinl

Most of the evidence supports global warming, but there are other views. I'm in no position to know which camp is right because I don't understand the science fully and I'm not capable of sitting down and evaluating their research methodology.

The thing I ask myself is, is with all the changes we are making to the environment; and all the stuff we are introducing into it, is it more likely that we are effecting the environment or not? This is no definitive answer, but when I look at it this way, and couple the majority science view, then I have no problems accepting that climate change is more than likely a reality.
Old 18-01-2011, 09:50 AM   #6
trippytaka
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not this again! I seem to remember another thread a while ago where ignorance and blindly following the musings of others, without doing independant research was the basis of the majority of the comments.
Old 18-01-2011, 09:51 AM   #7
GOLDIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

climate change what a load of ****.
Climate cycle is what it is look at queensalnd right now 1974 all over again.
It is just nature doing what nature does replanish the earth as is needed.

Bob brown and every greeny needs there heads pulled in.
On our farms 30 years ago we locked off 500 acres of land so no stock could get in and the wild life can just be there guess what no one said good on you and also there is hardly any wild life there.
Now the greenies say we need to lock of even more of our farm because of endangerd spicies living there i can tell you now all that is there is **** that not even a bird can be heard in.greenies should get a real job and stop wasting our time and money.

Ian
Old 18-01-2011, 10:27 AM   #8
ThaFlash
Trusted Seller

I might take this argument seriously if someone showed me the weather records of earth from 1 million years ago right up till now.
Old 18-01-2011, 11:13 AM   #9
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It always seems to be forgotten that we are comming out of a Little Ice Age which ended in the 1850's. When we leave an Ice Age, fulilly enough, the earth will warm.

Never mind the planet hasn't warmed since 1998...
Old 18-01-2011, 11:16 AM   #10
Fled74
The Thread Killa

Time for me to watch "The Day After Tomorrow" again...

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Old 18-01-2011, 11:28 AM   #11
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't worry, I will think of climate chang everytime I get into by BA GT, and drive it to and from work daily, oh and not to mention when I drive around on a firday night just cruising around.
Old 18-01-2011, 11:40 AM   #12
colinl

It seems a little like religion. People have set ideas and that is that, they will take evidence that supports their view and forget evidence that doesn't. As I mentioned, I have no idea how real climate change is. I am prepared to think that what we do to the world will have an effect on it though. If I put crapy oil in my motor it won't last long. How long it will last I have no idea, but I'm pretty sure it will make a difference.
Old 18-01-2011, 11:58 AM   #13
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think we all can do some thing to help with climate control, but end of the day big industry is the one that causes the most damage.
Old 18-01-2011, 01:03 PM   #14
xy500
Constant annoyance

it really ****** me off when people drop lines like "scientists agree climate change is caused by humans..." what scientists? certainly not all of them, and certainly not a majority, only those that don't want to lose their jobs or political standing thanks to the over zealous following climate change has.
There is a Global carbon cycle, much like there is a water cycle. And we know so little about the global scale of carbon cycling that we are in no way able to make accurate predictions of what more human released carbon dioxide will do.
Old 18-01-2011, 01:09 PM   #15
xy500
Constant annoyance

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled
I think we all can do some thing to help with climate control, but end of the day big industry is the one that causes the most damage.
did you even read the thread?
Old 18-01-2011, 01:19 PM   #16
Deco28

Climate Change Is Real Now Give Me Lots Of Money To Research Nothing.
Old 18-01-2011, 01:31 PM   #17
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippytaka
Not this again! I seem to remember another thread a while ago where ignorance and blindly following the musings of others, without doing independant research was the basis of the majority of the comments.
Climate Change is about money and nothing less. Talk about blindly folowing an ideal eh?

The problem people like me face is that Politically Correct, Libertarian and Green bandwagons are the easiest ones for the lazy masses to get on - so much so that they become self fulfilling juggernaughts of truth. If you don't subscribe to the cash driven hysteria, you are an outcast with no conscience, no compassion and ultimatley - no voice.

It is not those that buck the trend and follow others less popular opinions on a small scale that I would concern myself with trippytaka - it is those that blindly believe whatever feel-good story is handed down to them by a group with a "vested interest" and are prepared to chastise those around them to make themselves feel like the do-ers they are not.
Old 18-01-2011, 01:36 PM   #18
mr ghia

The original post in this thread is not new and has been debunked.
Another (unsigned?) right-wing-nutter rant.
Old 18-01-2011, 02:50 PM   #19
colinl

Some of you guys come off as real zealots. You have said some emotive stuff, and as I stated, I don't know how much we have contributed to climate change. So here is your chance, convince me it isn't happening. Show me some peer reviewed research on it. Not just conspiracy theories, but credible research.

On a slightly different tangent. Do you believe that whatever we do to the land and sea, whatever we dump into the environment has absolutely no effect the world?
Old 18-01-2011, 03:31 PM   #20
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinl
Some of you guys come off as real zealots. You have said some emotive stuff, and as I stated, I don't know how much we have contributed to climate change. So here is your chance, convince me it isn't happening. Show me some peer reviewed research on it. Not just conspiracy theories, but credible research.

On a slightly different tangent. Do you believe that whatever we do to the land and sea, whatever we dump into the environment has absolutely no effect the world?

Whats that got to do with a emission trading scheme .Nothing when compainy's like BP,Shell and the U.S chamber of commerce are putting up there hand saying we need a emission trading scheme . Were in trouble or worse again they get Goldman and Sachs to come up with the scheme. Yeah because there main priority is to save the Planet .

An do you mean like the research that told us Australia wont see rain again like we have had in the past .

Or the research that told us Europe will never see snow again .

An how about showing peer reviewed research that doesn't benefit from a positive result on CC or that has not been involved in a scandal or one of there predictions that haven't been wrong yet.

But your right Climate Change is real jesus told me so
Old 18-01-2011, 03:38 PM   #21
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Climate change is a myth....
Old 18-01-2011, 04:00 PM   #22
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinl
So here is your chance, convince me it isn't happening. Show me some peer reviewed research on it. Not just conspiracy theories, but credible research.
OH WOW!!! A chance to prove myself to colinl!! My goodness, what a rare treat! Lucky am I.

Your idea, how about you "Show me some peer reviewed research on it. Not just conspiracy theories, but credible research".

Simple maths shows me enough to know that all the scientists, being paid by all the governments have developed a theory supported by money that supports an agenda to make more money.

For as long as reliable and scaled temperatures have been recorded, they have been going up. And down. But they are reaching higher highs in the snicket of data we have.

Real data has been collated for around 150 years. Scientists tell us that the world is 4,540,000,000 years old (that's 4.54 billion).

You tell me colinl, how reliable do you think a test sampling of 0.00000330% is, particularly when the people funding all this science have a bonafide interest in propagating the fear. Be it in cash, power or both.

For some perspective, if you wanted to ply the same maths identifying commonalities of every person on the face of the earth.

You could go to my local pub on a Thursday night where you will find 0.00000330% of the worlds population (227 people). You could accurately determine that the entire population of the earth is drunk and likes to pee alot.

If you did a really indepth study, you could determine that the entire population of the earth lives within 5km of my local pub, have an average age of 23 years, they all drive cars, all live in nice houses, are all employed, are all trying to pick-up, all swear, all wake up every day with a hangover and every single one of the drunken bums knows all the words to Flame Trees.

And with some certainty, none of them will die in the next 12 months.

Science is only right until it is proven wrong.... again and again. We'd be mugs to think that everything scientists tell us is true... how many incorrect "scientific facts" could we come up with if we tried?

93.9876875% of them to be precise.
Old 18-01-2011, 04:12 PM   #23
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
Climate change is a myth....
MAN-MADE Climate change is a myth
Climate Change is real and will happen no matter what humans do.
Old 18-01-2011, 04:18 PM   #24
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out fellow AFF members... Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Daniels knowledge of modular engines and superchargers is extremely valuable to the AFF community. I have learnt quite a bit just reading his build threads. His contributions are often utilised by other members. 

I never bought into that crap, ever.

Throwing rubbish on the beach is bad.

Burning fossil fuels for a couple of hundred years that allows mankind to enjoy life while we discover a viable source of future energy is not.

Daniel
Old 18-01-2011, 04:46 PM   #25
colinl

Don't confuse the merit of schemes with the merit of climate change as a concept. They are separate issues.

I agree that science, and especially statistics can be jigged to show evidence of just about anything. But in this case there is wide support from a diverse range of research. Sure there is research that expresses different opinions, and this is why I say I have no idea of the truth of climate change. I'm not about to sit down and look at where the research funding came from, or the validity of the research methodology. I'm just a mechanic and that sort of stuff makes my head hurt.

The main kicker for me is as I've said, I just can't imagine that with the massive impact we are having on the world today will have no effect on it. Our impact has mostly been in the last 50 years, before that industry was outputting very little in comparison and our lives fairly simple. So in short, yes I believe our actions change the world. The extent and type of change I couldn't even imagine.

By the way. You don't need to prove anything to me. I was just struck by the amount of comment that was stated as a fact, but seemed to lack references.
Old 18-01-2011, 04:47 PM   #26
superyob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
MAN-MADE Climate change is a myth
Climate Change is real and will happen no matter what humans do.
I tend to agree with this view. According to scientific evidence that I am aware of, (and no, I cannot direct anyone to definitive scientific data outside the realm of what we are fed by the news/entertainment media), the earth is a self regulating body with continuously hot and cold temperature shifts in different areas of the globe at different times.

Bob Gillard (or Julia Brown) is just trying to impose a tax on the population of Australia for something that occurs naturally. I'll just bet China and India will see the light, once this socialist tax is thrust upon us by these political minnows, and wring their collective hands in repentant sorrow and promise never to befoul our atmosphere with the stench of carbon again...
Old 18-01-2011, 04:59 PM   #27
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I know it's easy to sit behind a computer and say "it's a myth." It takes no research or effort to do that, except for the effort of typing out the words "it's a myth." I will admit, I really don't know. The climate is obviously becoming more dramatic in rainfall and drought, which has been taught be believers in global warming. How much is created by natural changes and how much is created by pollution? Does anyone really know? Even if it's impossible to measure, it doesn't mean it's not real. Does it hurt to try to be a little cleaner? I find it funny and natural that people on car forums would naturally just claim it's all a myth. It's just easier to like cars that way, but it doesn't make it true. Besides, pollution has obvious short term affects, not just global warming. So I'm all for cleaner energy, and conserving that clean and renewable energy rather than wasting it. But I don't think we need to compromise our lifestyles to work towards that. You just have to be smarter. Eg, I think we can have big powerful, fast cars that are clean. That's my thoughts anyway.
Old 18-01-2011, 05:14 PM   #28
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ghia
The original post in this thread is not new and has been debunked.
Another (unsigned?) right-wing-nutter rant.
Let me guess.
You've been banned from here before for being an over zealous ecotard and have come back with a new name?

Quote: