Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 02-05-2010, 08:17 PM   #151
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
What about liver and kidney problems, related with drinking?
Or the social problems with drinking. Smoking increases your chances of cancer and disease. The sadness and anger that comes from this is much shorter then the problems associated with alcoholics, or stuff that happens to people in the street when people out there are effected for the rest of their lives cause of alcohol related attacks.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:16 PM   #152
Barry_v
rocknrolla

alchohol tax is being re-examined too, so I don't think you can deflect the issue in that direction. Apparently tax per volume will make goon bags jump up a fair bit. Sourbastard is recieving councilling.
Barry_v is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2010, 09:35 PM   #153
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

Some people seem to get very hot under the collar about cig smoke that they smell, yet have no problem driving, and living in cities with all the exhaust and industrial pollution.
Fly towards, say Sydney, and you see a brown dome over the place from 100s of km away.
Yes, I am a smoker, and as such I do not have a great sense of smell, but every time a have been to Sydney, I smell the stench of the area.
Locals probably don't realise what they are living in.
xtremerus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2010, 01:13 AM   #154
BHDOGS
Banned

bout time they upped the price next they need to up alcohol prices to i have never disguised my disgust and hatred that these two poisonous toxic drugs are allowed to exist at all let alone be sold legally to addicted suckers.
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2010, 02:27 AM   #155
Firebell AU3SR

Tobacco, Alcohol & Petrol are the best income earners for any government.Do you really think that they want people to stop spending their money on these products due to health & environment reasons? You will find that they spend less then they receive from Tobacco sales on the Health system. The government should be chasing the millions of tax payers money that the dodge Insulation operators have stolen!!
Firebell AU3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2010, 08:20 AM   #156
T3ts50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

After spending $19 on a pack of smokes on the weekend, I will definately be trying to give up now. Handing the cashier a $20 note and only receiving a $1 in change was a pretty awful feeling, and figured now is the time to quit.
T3ts50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2010, 09:00 AM   #157
Barry_v
rocknrolla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebell AU3SR
Do you really think that they want people to stop spending their money on these products due to health & environment reasons?
its all a government conspiracy! lets fight the power by stopping smoking!
Barry_v is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2010, 10:02 AM   #158
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry_v
its all a government conspiracy! lets fight the power by stopping smoking!
And riding/walking to work, and home brew beer only.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:36 PM   #159
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan
but there is no safe levels of smoking.
I kinda disagree Spooly. My mum smokes 1 cigarette a night after dinner and has been doing so for years. I'd call that a safe level of smoking. I don't think that throws her into the queue for any type of smoke related cancer. She's a very healthy 55 year old 1 ciggi a day smoker. That's just my personal opinion ofcourse. Proffesors (<-- spelling) with x amount of degrees may disagree with me lol. But I doubt 1 a day is doing her any harm *shrugs*

And I must say, the more I read posts in this thread, the more I'm starting to see how blue eyed / brown eyed we are. If you've seen the documentary blue eyes/brown eyes, you'll understand that comment. And I'm getting a little tired of people accusing us of wanting sympathy and going on about how they don't want to inhale our smoke. Ofcourse you don't, if I was a non-smoker, I wouldn't either BUT the fact is, we all have and are entitled to our right of freedom of choice, like it or not. This is the world we live in. Smokers and non-smokers, fat/thin, drinkers/non-drinkers. This is the way the world works. I've chosen to smoke, I don't walk around blowing it in anyone's face. I didn't start smoking to collect sympathy for it. I smoke because I wanted to be cool when I was younger, all my friends did. Big mistake YES but how dare any of you judge me because I light up cigarettes?! I don't walk around and blow it in your damn faces! I don't like the fumes from my neighbours car coming into my house but ahh well aye. Telling us you're all worried about what your inhaling - prius in the driveway is it?
2003 FULLY OPTIONED MERCURY SILVER BA GT-P BUILD #336
REVERSE CAMERA - SAT NAV - PIONEER SUB & AMP - SUNROOF - DVD PLAYER - CUSTOM DUAL EXHAUST
~Tuned By Bluepower Racing~
FRDGAL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2010, 12:53 PM   #160
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

GasOLane - Umm, your telling a Lady to "Man up"?.... Best you go buy a flame suit, quick

ECOJET - oops

Now worries. Been called worse lol.
2003 FULLY OPTIONED MERCURY SILVER BA GT-P BUILD #336
REVERSE CAMERA - SAT NAV - PIONEER SUB & AMP - SUNROOF - DVD PLAYER - CUSTOM DUAL EXHAUST
~Tuned By Bluepower Racing~
FRDGAL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2010, 12:56 PM   #161
MAD
Petro-sexual

Something car forum related...
How many chemicals are in rubber smoke? Most of us here love that smell.
Ever walked through the pits at an ANDRA drag racing meet when a top fueller is started?
Ever been trackside at a V8SC event?

And other activities that many here may have done...
Ever sat outside at the airport watching the big jets take off (before they banned outside viewing)?
Ever been to the Melbourne international airshow?
Any welders/painters/chippies here?

Then there's other cancer causing nasties out there that just about everyone has in there pocket. There's plenty of documents around that say the radio waves from mobile phones can cause cancer.

I highlight 'can' because its basically the same line on smoke packets... "smoking increases your risk of cancer" no where does it say "you will get cancer"

Yeah its all very nit picky, but it's something to think about.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:36 PM   #162
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Work Horse
At the same time smokers are being slugged a couple of extra dollars in tax, Victorian police are being issued with semi-automatic weapons.

Coincidence or are the government expecting some trouble from smokers?
those M&P's are cheap as chips anyway. wouldnt be any dearer than the POS revolvers they have now. at least new anyway. great little bit of kit
Old 03-05-2010, 06:15 PM   #163
robbyg
72xa

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3ts50
After spending $19 on a pack of smokes on the weekend, I will definately be trying to give up now. Handing the cashier a $20 note and only receiving a $1 in change was a pretty awful feeling, and figured now is the time to quit.
Hey guys, put a patch on sunday mourning 2 days later kicking ****, when the cravings or habit side of it linger i just try and think about the money side of things, hand over $20 get back little change, early days yet, but i hope some other fellas give it a go and win, hope i dont sound like a reformed smoker they are a nuisance to everyone.
robbyg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2010, 06:44 PM   #164
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbyg
Hey guys, put a patch on sunday mourning 2 days later kicking ****, when the cravings or habit side of it linger i just try and think about the money side of things, hand over $20 get back little change, early days yet, but i hope some other fellas give it a go and win, hope i dont sound like a reformed smoker they are a nuisance to everyone.
Good luck with it, it will take plenty of will power and get onto the quit line for support, they have idea's and ways of coping with this challenge..

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2010, 09:29 PM   #165
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

I'm a none-smoker, always have been always will be !! but this tax increase is an obvious rort... couldn't tax the ETS so soon? start taxing everyday purchases for alot of people, atleast.

Soon to be a FAT-Tax
already alco tax
what next ??

sooner no hoper rudd is out off office, the sooner Australiasia can recover. None of these changes would affect him, even if he did smoke etc... being on a decent income, nothing will affect him. Selfish man.
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2010, 11:17 PM   #166
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

One problem I see with this increased tax on tobacco, is that the health budget, and the fix for Australia's hospital problems, rely on it. The extra $5 Billion to the States health system matches the budget for the extra $5 Billion from this increased tax. If more people 'give it up', than the Govt. thinks they will, then they have a problem.
Will smokers have to keep up their habit to insure that the hospital system doesn't collapse?
xtremerus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2010, 11:31 PM   #167
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremerus
Will smokers have to keep up their habit to insure that the hospital system doesn't collapse?
You would be closer to the truth than you know! G'ment had to be a little clever with the amount of increase, too high, too many give up & a massive dent in revenue. If too many give up what happens?

Smokers pay there own way .... billions in fact every year so if we all give up at once ..... then it will be definitely

Didn't have one today ...... only another few more years to go.

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2010, 07:27 AM   #168
Trevor 57
is now there

Tax them into non-existence
Old 04-05-2010, 10:36 AM   #169
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVO_XR
edit quote as post was removed.
If you don't like Government policy then move out.

Last edited by SpoolMan; 04-05-2010 at 02:31 PM.
Trevor 57 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2010, 01:50 PM   #170
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVO_XR
I enjoy smoking, and will continue to do so. I like to make my own choices, seems as though the rest of Australia like the Government making their decisions for them. All this new tax means is now its strictly rollies, and I'll start growing at the end of winter.
Because of the new tax you will be growing and rolling ............ so you made this decision because .......... ?

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2010, 02:26 PM   #171
Trevor 57
is now there

Where do you get tobacco seeds from?
Old 04-05-2010, 03:10 PM   #172
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3ts50
As a reformed smoker (I gave up 18 months ago)... i'm stunned that a $2-$3 dollar increase per pack is enough to make people quit 'finally'...

ok... so $19 per pack is ridiculous... but it was $16 per pack the day before... and lets say you smoke 5 packs a week ($80.00) then you were already throwing away just over $4000 a year on it... whats the extra $700 bucks going to matter?

I quit because I have 3 kids... (third one was the one that made me quit)... i'd like to enjoy growing up with them... and be around to watch their kids grow up too...

And whilst smoking is not the only thing that causes cancer, and I still continue to eat worse than I should, drink more than I should, and exersize less than I should... i figured that the start of living longer and healthier and with fuller pockets began with kicking the smokes...

Cold Turkey - that was it... Cup Day 2008 - was the last time I had a smoke... and i reckon the hardest part with the smoking is the association with other things...
Coffee (and smoke)
Beer (and smoke)
Standin round the fire (and smoke)
Someone else is having a smoke (and smoke)

The first 2 are the hardest to beat... and while i've been off them for what feels like forever now - I still get an urge to have a puff now and then... haven't given in... because I don't want to start counting again...

Money saved from not smoking = I can't find it... perhaps I drink more now? who knows...
Do I feel any better for giving up = not really?? i don't think I feel any different physically...
Sure I smell a lot better... and you really do notice the smell once you've given up... (did I really smell that bad???? YEP!!)

But - long term... it will definately benefit me...
Will 'Jack the Dancer' come and get me anyways?? Probably... but I could get hit by a bus tomorrow too... doesn't stop me from getting out in the street...

Don't give it up to save money... Give it up because there is NO logical reason to do it at all...

It Kills... It Costs money... it stinks... its unhealthy...

Work it out over the next 5 years.... its nearly $20,000 you could have dumped into a car project...

thats just my 2 cents - for what its worth...