Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 17-09-2006, 12:42 AM   #1
rennie
BA Falcon, AUII. R.I.P.

Default door ajar

just bought an 2000 AUII from a dealer and later noticed that the when the drivers door is closed the top of it is slightly ajar (only about 2-6mm) i was wandering if anyone knew how I could fix this.

thanks rennie

rennie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2006, 02:13 AM   #2
Abacus
Life's a Gas

Sounds like it has been broken into. Does it leak?
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2006, 03:59 AM   #3
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacus
Sounds like it has been broken into. Does it leak?
I'll second that , my drivers door sits slightlly ajar , it doesn't leak though.
It was already like it when i bought the car , and i can tell it had been broken into , as the door seal/rubber is broken a bit , and there is also scratches in the paintwork inside the door jam ( i have fixed the scratches )

Im yet to try it yet , but i recon wind the window down , get a lump of 4x2 wood and stick it in the lower part of the door jam , close the door on it leaving a 2 inch gap or so, so the door is slightlly ajar , then push in by hand on the top corner of the door to bend it back in again.

Thats what i'll be trying anyway , it only needs a bit.

cheers.

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2006, 10:02 AM   #4
xr8man83
Grunt Files

my old el was like that the doors tend to sag on there hinges after a bit of time. one of my mates said that you can adjust them but i dont know how to do that but i would be looking into that before you stat getting all barberick on it with wood. is the door bent or does it look like its saging on its hinges?
xr8man83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2006, 10:11 AM   #5
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

i know for a fact mine is bent , from a previous breakin attempt by someone / before i bought the car , someone trying to ram something dwon the top rear of the door. It lines up perfect , the lines line up / door is flush , all except for the top rear corner which sticks out a bit.

cheers.

Old 17-09-2006, 11:15 AM   #6
xr8man83
Grunt Files

far out thats a ruff way to try to get in a car isnt it
Old 17-09-2006, 12:03 PM   #7
XR6Stu

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6-VCT-2000
I'll second that , my drivers door sits slightlly ajar , it doesn't leak though.
It was already like it when i bought the car , and i can tell it had been broken into , as the door seal/rubber is broken a bit , and there is also scratches in the paintwork inside the door jam ( i have fixed the scratches )

Im yet to try it yet , but i recon wind the window down , get a lump of 4x2 wood and stick it in the lower part of the door jam , close the door on it leaving a 2 inch gap or so, so the door is slightlly ajar , then push in by hand on the top corner of the door to bend it back in again.

Thats what i'll be trying anyway , it only needs a bit.

cheers.
Thats exactly what to do. If we geta second hand door to use at work, and it doesnt fit the car properly at work, this is exactly how we "bend" them back into shape to fit. Dont get too excited at once though... Its alot easier to bend in towards the car, than it is it pull back out again!!!
XR6Stu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2006, 12:20 PM   #8
rennie
BA Falcon, AUII. R.I.P.

thanks for the help i'll have a look for signs of a break in but from what i saw i couldnt see any.
Old 17-09-2006, 12:50 PM   #9
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Well i got my act together and tried straightening the top of my door while washing the car just before ( the way i mentioned above ) , although i only needed a piece of 1" x 0.5" wide x 1ft long wood roughly, worked a treat. .

Thanks for starting this thread ! , it reminding me about my door , i had forgotten all about it until it was mentioned ..lol , cheers

Old 17-09-2006, 12:51 PM   #10
xr8man83
Grunt Files

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6Stu
Thats exactly what to do. If we geta second hand door to use at work, and it doesnt fit the car properly at work, this is exactly how we "bend" them back into shape to fit. Dont get too excited at once though... Its alot easier to bend in towards the car, than it is it pull back out again!!!
souds like you are talking from experiance there mate :ticking:
Old 17-09-2006, 01:46 PM   #11
XR6Stu

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8man83
souds like you are talking from experiance there mate :ticking:
Haha, NEVER! Yeah, I learnt my lesson the hard way on this one! Put a rubber mallet between the bottom corner of the door, and the door jam and push as hard as I could. End result, door would shut properly. Took me over an hour to get it back out again. Shattered! Boss's reaction? As long as you learnt your lesson, and dont do it again, im not phased! Top boss!
Old 17-09-2006, 02:40 PM   #12
classicute

Quote:
before you stat getting all barberick on it with wood.
Nothin' rough or barbaric about it. That is exactly what every single panel beater in the country would do.
classicute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2006, 03:18 PM   #13
Abacus
Life's a Gas

Quote:
far out thats a ruff way to try to get in a car isnt it
It's what they do. Happened to my EL - they just grabbed hold of the top of the front l/h door and pulled it out about 10 inches.
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2006, 03:43 PM   #14
XR6Stu

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6Stu
Haha, NEVER! Yeah, I learnt my lesson the hard way on this one! Put a rubber mallet between the bottom corner of the door, and the door jam and push as hard as I could. End result, door would shut properly. Took me over an hour to get it back out again. Shattered! Boss's reaction? As long as you learnt your lesson, and dont do it again, im not phased! Top boss!
Just realied I made a typo, meant to say it WOULDNT shut properly! Sho8uld learn to type as well!
Old 17-09-2006, 08:37 PM   #15
rennie
BA Falcon, AUII. R.I.P.

how much do you think it will cost for a panel beater to do it for me. just dont wanna risk it. thanks.

AUII Forte: 18 Inch Tickford Wheels, Pioneer Head Unit, Kicker Speakers, Lowered, Tinted Windows.

R.I.P.

Current: 2004 BA Silk Falcon Futura

Mods:
Tinted Windows
Wheels: RJR 18" Tremors.
Sound: Soon: JVC DV7205 DVD Head Unit, Blaupunkt 480W RMS 4Ch Amp x 2, Polk Momo 6.5" Splits, Polk Momo 6"x9", Pheonix Gold 1500W Mono Block Amp, Earthquake SubZero Subwoofer

Old 18-09-2006, 12:20 AM   #16
XR6Stu

If you go to a good panel shop, and ask them, they might do it for free. Absolute max would be $100, and even then its a bit of a rip off. It takes 2 mins to do, so dont let them rip you!
Old 24-09-2006, 12:07 PM   #17
rennie
BA Falcon, AUII. R.I.P.

got it fixed cost me $50

AUII Forte: 18 Inch Tickford Wheels, Pioneer Head Unit, Kicker Speakers, Lowered, Tinted Windows.

R.I.P.

Current: 2004 BA Silk Falcon Futura

Mods:
Tinted Windows
Wheels: RJR 18" Tremors.
Sound: Soon: JVC DV7205 DVD Head Unit, Blaupunkt 480W RMS 4Ch Amp x 2, Polk Momo 6.5" Splits, Polk Momo 6"x9", Pheonix Gold 1500W Mono Block Amp, Earthquake SubZero Subwoofer

Old 24-09-2006, 02:50 PM   #18
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rennie
got it fixed cost me $50
Nb i suppose if you dont trust yourself doing this kind of repair , allthough it was pretty easy and took me less than a minute to do mine .

Too bad you arent in melbourne , i would have done it for free for you , or even a 6 pack of beers if you insisted on paying :hihi: ..lol , cheers .