Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-03-2016, 03:57 PM   #1
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default At what point should ford tell you the diagnostic is getting expensive? ?

Got a question for you guys. Had a vehicle at ford for a motor problem not running properly asked them to diagnose the problem. Long story short there diagnostic price $600 ( after i had a winge about it before it was $800 ) At no point in the process did they tell me that the costs were getting so high, is that the way they do things ? Couldnt fix the problem had to tow it away. Now im not disputing the work they did or the price if they did actually spend 8 hours on it like they said but shouldnt they have let me know how stinking expensive things were getting ?

Long story short had a problem asked ford to diagnose it, costs me 600 then had to tow it away. Felling pretty angry right now and dont get me started on the sunroof in my falcon they stuffed up or the tailshaft they couldnt ballance ( i did it myself in 20 mins at home )
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
Falcon SXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2016, 04:04 PM   #2
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Default Re: At what point should ford tell you the diagnostic is getting expensive? ?

If they verified the problem existed and then couldn't solution it, why should you pay anything? Poor form to hit you up with $800!
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2016, 04:18 PM   #3
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: At what point should ford tell you the diagnostic is getting expensive? ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap View Post
If they verified the problem existed and then couldn't solution it, why should you pay anything? Poor form to hit you up with $800!
Im trying not to implicate anyone with my posts but the problem part turned out to be an injector pump, they claim couldn't be sourced or rebuilt ( this is on a 2001 model vehicle )

I spent all morning ringing around and found out the pump they said it has it actually doesn't and it runs a different pump that can be worked on. The Diesel place also said the price I was charged was a joke.
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
This user likes this post:
Old 14-03-2016, 04:24 PM   #4
PHANTMXR6
It's not an FG MKI.......

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willing to help out with useful advice in the technical areas of the forum. 
Smile Re: At what point should ford tell you the diagnostic is getting expensive? ?

Not just Ford, but any motor vehicle service center should ask for at least an hour to try and diagnose a problem.
If they get close to their hour, the service advisor should contact the customer and advise them of their findings thus far and request another hour, or half an hour depending on how close they may be.

I've been in a situation where something has taken up to 4 hours to diagnose and at every 50 minute intervals the service advisor was updated and the customer contacted and more time requested. When the customer is kept in the loop and knows what the hourly rate is and how long something takes/may take, you generally end up with both a fixed vehicle and a happy customer.

Basically customer satisfaction 101, communication.

Want to know how to do an A Service for an FG XR6T?

Look in this http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11339404

Thinking of oil sampling your engine?

Have a look at this trend http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....ght=oil+sample
PHANTMXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 14-03-2016, 04:32 PM   #5
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

I'd allow an hour, anymore should be communicated and with cost associated.
Old 14-03-2016, 04:35 PM   #6
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid_Axe View Post
I'd allow an hour, anymore should be communicated and with cost associated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHANTMXR6
Not just Ford, but any motor vehicle service center should ask for at least an hour to try and diagnose a problem.
If they get close to their hour, the service advisor should contact the customer and advise them of their findings thus far and request another hour, or half an hour depending on how close they may be.

I've been in a situation where something has taken up to 4 hours to diagnose and at every 50 minute intervals the service advisor was updated and the customer contacted and more time requested. When the customer is kept in the loop and knows what the hourly rate is and how long something takes/may take, you generally end up with both a fixed vehicle and a happy customer.

Basically customer satisfaction 101, communication.
Exactly what I thought but apparently not, then Im told its my responsibility to check up and ask them what its costing
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
Old 14-03-2016, 04:48 PM   #7
Windsor220
Now Fordless

I usually charge half an hour. If it requires longer than that then I let them know its up to them whether they pay for more. I try and give a rough estimate of time but sometimes its not possible. Most dealerships I've worked for work under a similar process
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2016, 04:56 PM   #8
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon SXR8 View Post
Exactly what I thought but apparently not, then Im told its my responsibility to check up and ask them what its costing
They should have given you a quote with that type of answer, maybe a call to fair trading may change their tune on this.
Itsme is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-03-2016, 05:31 PM   #9
olfella
Cranky old bastard

Sounds like not only dont they know how to diagnose a problem they also dont know what their and your rights are as a consumer of their service.
Old 14-03-2016, 05:53 PM   #10
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

Please tell us how you balanced a tailshaft at home in 20 minutes?
Top_Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2016, 06:10 PM   #11
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Ghia View Post
Please tell us how you balanced a tailshaft at home in 20 minutes?
Not pro style but i had a tail shaft ballance problem with the missing plastic weights they use on the tailshaft bolts, took it to ford they said yes we will get the weights ( $150 just for 5 little peices of plastic ) then use our macine to ballance it. I thought great as i was driving it from qld to melb the next week. Next day i get a phone call from ford saying we have to train a guy to use the machine first we need it a few days, im getting sus by this point couple days later they ring me saying there machine isnt working they would have to send it away for repairs and that they couldnt do the job 😠so i took the bag of plastic weights home put it up on axle stands, used an app on my phone that measures vibrations strapped to the boot. Then run the car on the stands, get a reading, hop under move the weights around try again and no joke after 20min of trial and error i had it running smooth again 😀
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
Old 14-03-2016, 06:13 PM   #12
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by olfella View Post
Sounds like not only dont they know how to diagnose a problem they also dont know what their and your rights are as a consumer of their service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu
They should have given you a quote with that type of answer, maybe a call to fair trading may change their tune on this.
Yep im over it i dont think ill bother doing anything about it, they have done there damage now and wont be getting any buisness from me again
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
Old 14-03-2016, 11:27 PM   #13
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Seems excessive, I think for that money they should have fixed it.

Took them a whole day to locate a injector pump problem, and then they could not fix it

Then again I would not be taking a 15 year old Falcon to Ford, the local mechanic will probably do a better job at half the price.

Or just get another pump from Pick and Pay less and fit it yourself, how hard can it be??

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2016, 12:38 PM   #14
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Agree with above, but I don't think it was a Falcon, there was mention of Diesel
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2016, 12:51 PM   #15
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
Agree with above, but I don't think it was a Falcon, there was mention of Diesel
Yea mate it was a diesel. I have no problem with them taking time to diagnose the problem but when they don't fill you in as there going along that " hey were up to x amount here do you want us to keep going" really ticked me off. Then they gave me the wrong info anyway, I spent all morning on the phone with other people to find accurate info. Add to that the other 2 experiences I've had with them in the past I'm just over it

And to add to it I tow the thing home and see the engine cover sitting on the floor they didn't even put it all back together

Anyway im just having a rant sorry guys
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
2 users like this post:
Old 15-03-2016, 12:52 PM   #16
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Talk to the service manager, explain the situation and tell him you want some of your money back.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2016, 01:22 PM   #17
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

I had my guards rolled this morning and the first thing I spoke to them about wasn’t the rolling, it was how they go about removing and fitting the rims, do they use a rattle gun, what tension is used and so on.

I’m not condoning the huge bill from Ford as I do believe they should have shown you the courtesy of informing you it would require ongoing analyses.

The moral to my short story is you should have also been proactive and asked them how much do you charge and if they gave you an hourly rate you follow it up with, if it is going to take more than an hour can you give me a call and do the same each time until you say stop, no more.

I took responsibly today for ensuring my rims were not going to be damaged and that if need be I could undo the wheel nuts by hand without resorting to using a breaker bar.

It's much easier if both parties have a talk about expectations prior to the bill shock.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 15-03-2016, 01:29 PM   #18
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon SXR8 View Post
Yea mate it was a diesel. I have no problem with them taking time to diagnose the problem but when they don't fill you in as there going along that " hey were up to x amount here do you want us to keep going" really ticked me off. Then they gave me the wrong info anyway, I spent all morning on the phone with other people to find accurate info. Add to that the other 2 experiences I've had with them in the past I'm just over it

And to add to it I tow the thing home and see the engine cover sitting on the floor they didn't even put it all back together

Anyway im just having a rant sorry guys
Well whatever the vehicle was it sounds like it was too much for them.
there wouldn't be a lot of 2001 Ford diesel cars sold in Australia
Ford Courier?

The service manager probably said enough is enough, hence why it wasn't put back together properly.

Certainly doesn't mean they can charge you for it..
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2016, 05:23 PM   #19
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep learnt my lesson on this one, I should have known from past experiences with this crew and made sure up front how it was gunna play out. Hopefully it serves as a warning and can help others avoid my mistake. I already avoid ford like the plague and use an awesome local mech for everything I can and do most stuff myself anyway but sometimes your backed into a corner. They have lost a sale of an Everest over this and they will never know, all due to repeat bad experiences
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
Old 15-03-2016, 05:26 PM   #20
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
Well whatever the vehicle was it sounds like it was too much for them.
there wouldn't be a lot of 2001 Ford diesel cars sold in Australia
Ford Courier?
Ford Transit perhaps ? They seem to cause a lot of grief in this area.

Dr Terry
Dr Terry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2016, 05:33 PM   #21
Philaddis

I would've thought checking fuel pressure on a diesel that's not running would be test #1, not 8+ hours into the mix!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sprint 16's
Ghia Interior
AUIII XR8 Windsor
T-56 6 sp
3.7:1's
258.6 rwhp
Philaddis is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2016, 05:34 PM   #22
rst2000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Pursuit View Post
Talk to the service manager, explain the situation and tell him you want some of your money back.
Sounds like a goods idea, that's right the op did complain and got $200 off the original bill......
rst2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2016, 06:58 PM   #23
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rst2000 View Post
Sounds like a goods idea, that's right the op did complain and got $200 off the original bill......
Yea i'm suspect on my "discount" I think they made up a higher figure and just said they knocked 200 off after I complained about not being told the price was getting so high. Anyway like I said its a lesson learned for me and hopefully the ford dealer is a bit more vigilant in keeping its customers informed. I actually asked one of them if an old lady brought her ford in with an engine problem would they spend hours on it without informing her of the price untill the end, and then give her a bill for 600 bucks and the ford crew said "yes its her responsibility to keep track of the costs" can you believe it.
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
Old 15-03-2016, 08:50 PM   #24
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

On the odd occasion we've spent a few hours on something and haven't been able to fix it I just take it as a loss and let the car go at no cost.

Its not many but you get the odd one come through that stumps you and I reckon you can't really charge for a problem you haven't fixed.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2016, 08:59 PM   #25
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had to adjust the mixture on the carby in the Charger the other day...

That's about as complicated as it gets around my place...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2016, 11:02 PM   #26
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
On the odd occasion we've spent a few hours on something and haven't been able to fix it I just take it as a loss and let the car go at no cost.

Its not many but you get the odd one come through that stumps you and I reckon you can't really charge for a problem you haven't fixed.
Not many people like that around anymore mate. I spent $2500 trying to get my old GQ fixed with one mechanic, i literally changed everything. I swore to them i thought it was the carby and they kept saying it was rebuilt and performing fine and it was a different issue. This is the most well respected 4x4 mechanic in Canberra by the way.

In the end i took it to a "carby whisperer" i heard about through the patrol forums (not many left anymore). $130 later and the problem was fixed
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2016, 11:26 PM   #27
FGX-351
Supercharged Mang-mobile

If it makes you feel any better I had a Holden dealer try to charge me $912 for a tail shaft centre bearing without labour.
Another independent company tried charging me $150 for a fuel pressure test. lol

If they think they can they'll certainly try it, I just feel for older people who pay these crazy prices on the perception that dealer services are better.
09/00 VX HSV XU6 Build #0001 of 0171
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....09#post5571209
-- Best E/T: |14.982 @92.12mph | R/T:0.013 | 60' 2.213| 330: 6.283 | 1/8: 9.624 @ 73.17mph | 1000: 12.529 | 25Deg, N/A Hum, 1010mb | Willowbank Raceway 7/12/16

Tickford EL Falcon XR6 RIP
-- Factory Manual
-- Best E/T: |14.991 @ 92.71mph | R/T: 0.607 | 60': 2.215 | 660': 9.665 |13Deg, 86%H, 1024mb, 184RA @ Willowbank Raceway
FGX-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2016, 11:38 PM   #28
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

When you walk in the door.....
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2016, 11:44 PM   #29
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

I've had a shop change several things that didn't need fixing then hit me up for $1200. Just told him I wasn't paying for **** as the problem still persisted. That was that. Just be up front about charges and they'll work around you if they want your business. Otherwise you'll get trampled on.

It's like retail stores having their "returns policy" printed up on display. It's just scare tactics, and irrelevant as federal consumer law squashes their mostly stupid regulations.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 16-03-2016, 07:15 AM   #30
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

Charging 8 hours to diagnose a fault, then still managing to get the part and availability wrong? mot much of a diagnosis.....