Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-06-2010, 02:03 PM   #1
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 
Default Weight

We've seena lot of discussion around the forum of late about weight reduction in our vehicles with the underlying view that weight reduction leads to improvements in performance and economy. Obviously.

I thought it was probably a good opportunity to have a look at the power and torque to weight ratios of various Falcon models throughout the history of Ford in Australia to see how they compared.

Note: Weights used for the purpose of this table are either averages for the model range or based on a specific variant when they match and are known.

First up weight to power, measured as kg/kW - in this instance the lower the figure the better and it's interesting to note how well the late models figure in this table although some of the hero models of yesteryear have made their way into the top half of the table, notably the XW GT in 5th and the 351 equipped XA/XB in 10th.

Next, a look at the torque to weight, measured as kg/nM and like the earlier set the lower the figure, the better. This time, the table is led by the XW GT and the earlier models figure prominently at the upper end of the table.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2010, 02:05 PM   #2
Melz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Great work once again Russ! Interesting to see the comparisons

Did you get bored while the server was being relocated??
Melz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2010, 02:37 PM   #3
madmelon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think the AU XR6 VCT was alot heavier than the HP (~1530kg) due to IRS. Somewhere closer to the XR8- up around 1600kg.
madmelon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2010, 03:07 PM   #4
CAMS290
trying to get a leg over
Donating Member2

Would be interesting to see the figures on the XY Phase 3. Unofficial claims said they were producing well over Fords claimed 226kw, but more like 285kw and who knows how much torque.
Old 20-06-2010, 03:18 PM   #5
Sharka
EL SVO

Hard to believe the EL GT 1668kg dry
last time I was at the tip I got my EL Xr8 347 manual weighted 1655kg with the golf clubs an half tank a fuel prob round 50kilos on board car has spoilers heavy Fr17 simmons wheels etc as for torque to weight must be pretty good as it eats FPV GT 290's
Old 20-06-2010, 04:11 PM   #6
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

nice work SIR RUSS as always, imagine these older bangers with better diff ratio`s and 6 speed auto , even better the big banger late models with 70`s weight`s , .........ooooooeeeeeeeeyyyyy.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2010, 04:23 PM   #7
Bossxr8
Peter Car

You need to remember that a car making 300hp back in the 70's would not really have 300hp by todays measurements.

Back then engines were dynoed minus accessories, and I think measured in SAE and not DIN?
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2010, 04:30 PM   #8
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I dont think the weights are right for the XD/XE V8s, that looks like the 6cyl figures?.

EBGT was 1650kg I thought too

Anyway, nice work.

Also add the ED XR8 Sprint which was 1580kg

192kw/405nm

kw:kg = 8.23
nm:kg = 3.9
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2010, 06:32 PM   #9
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

The weight figures used are all from Ford brochures as printed at the time but as these were manufacturers claims and different State registration branches have used alternate ones they should be taken with a grain of salt.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2010, 06:56 PM   #10
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Nice work Russ!

Incidentally, i weighed my AU1 VCT auto at the council weighbridge. 1680kg with driver and minimal fual on board. So, 1600kg kerb weight.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2010, 11:54 PM   #11
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Can't believe how light the XF's were. I remember when paying dads rego for his XF I noticed they were considered a medium sized car.. probably went by weight rather than size.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post