Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-01-2005, 06:12 PM   #31
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I went this year and was only there during the day,I saw a few drunks,not many but I also stayed away from some areas that I thought could be troublesome.Of wich there aren,t many. Even so I think it is time the organisers bit the bullet and made it a dry event or at the minimum only sell low alkahol beer. Unfortunatly there aren't many low alkahol spirits. I realise the impact it could have but that wouldnt last long as the less drunks at the event the more likely more families will show up.
Old 25-01-2005, 06:16 PM   #32
BJ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Fire
Supernats in Sydney is dry as well & that seems to work just fine. Its a completely different atmosphere as you don't have the "SHOW US YA TITS" bogans (which I think are hilarious sometimes), but its still a great event.

I think Summernats would take a huge hit the first year they banned alcohol, but once word got around that it was a better event people would flock back in droves.
Thats just what i mean you dont have to drink to have a good time
BJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2005, 08:24 PM   #33
wrx365
FPV GT 0169

They won't get rid of the summernat from Canberra, brings in too much money....Sounds like a political way of shutting up some whining constituents in the area. They will probably issue a report with a recommendation of maintaining the event with some conditions...

Also you should see it as an opportunity to improve things....contribute to the review and make your views heard.....
Old 25-01-2005, 11:44 PM   #34
bluovl

This thread seems to have strayed way off from the first post which was initially about the effect the summernats has on business and the surrounding suburbs.
I've been going to summernats (ex street machine nationals) since 1985, and I feel the behaviour on the street has definately improved. It had to.

Once people leave the confines of Natex they are then ruled by the authorities and rightly so. If people f*%# up on the street and get caught, tough luck. I have no problem with police cracking down of clowns when they are playing up, racing and hanging skids in peoples streets. Please dont read this as meaning come down hard on everybody, but just the hoons.
I dont know the exact amount of police resources spent or available but if there was an opportunity to put more police within the surrounding area I'd do it.
Once again though this would not be an invitation for police harrassment of genuine enthusiasts or neither am I advocating the roadworthy tests that seem to be carried out at these type of events. Just remove that ****er/boy racer element that appears at every set of lights. Probably easier said than done I know

Dale
69 Mustang Convertible
XA 351 Coupe
1965 Galaxie Convertible
2005 GT-P
AU XR6 Ute
bluovl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2005, 11:56 PM   #35
Quasi
Boss 290 BA GT Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrx365
They won't get rid of the summernat from Canberra, brings in too much money....Sounds like a political way of shutting up some whining constituents in the area. They will probably issue a report with a recommendation of maintaining the event with some conditions...

Also you should see it as an opportunity to improve things....contribute to the review and make your views heard.....
Precisely. However, as I pointed out to a colleague and fellow ACTSMA member, political agendas change. As for it being to shut a few people up.....remember the GMC 400 V8 supercar race we had here for 3 years?

That was a minority who spoke loudly enough to have it discarded.
The Toy - 03 BA GT In 'Venom', Silver BF Stripe Kit, Non-Premium Sound, Cloth Trim, Auto, 19" Staggered Vertini, Custom Exhaust, Roof DVD

Member of the FPV & XR Owners Club of ACT

Web Links To Check Out

Shannons Club Garage

Facebook Photo Albums
Quasi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2005, 01:10 AM   #36
RspecAU
BA GT-P Owner

[QUOTE=xdc351]EXACTLY!

The problem never was and never will be the guys camping onsite. In all the years I went the only people I ever saw acting like total knobs were blow in, drunken retards and half of them locals. Reason? Get drunk, trash stuff, start a punch on then go home/back to a hotel. They don't have to live in the mess they create.

I agree
I was at the last summernats the had the cruise down the main road and after that event was over all the idiots that had cars went on a bender doing burnouts throwing bottles at cars etc. The next year the cruise was banned but what the powers that be didn't seem to understand was the most of the idiots on the bender weren't from the show as the burn out marks left on the road were all one wheel jobs indicating that the show cars had no part in it as the show cars were doing better burnout inside the park.
ON MAXXIS MAV1's 275/45/17 13.27 @ 106mph
RspecAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post