Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 02-07-2006, 10:55 AM   #1
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Someone hit me... in the towball...

Gday guys.... Coming back from the hospital today (blood tests), I was waiting at the traffic lights when I felt this big bump. I looked at the brake pedal and the gear stick and all seemed fine.

I looked in my rear view mirror and thought "That Rav 4 looks a bit close"... and then I realised I had been hit...

I jumped out the car and had a look at the back of my car... The idiot still hadn't backed up... But his metal nudge bar had hit me on the towball - THANKGOD!

I looked at the driver behind me and it was some old coot! I said to him "Ya wanna back it up a bit buddy?" And he just shrugged his shoulders.

So I get back in the car and the lights turn green, which is when I realised the car had also stalled. Started the car and continued on my way.

Now because this shunt was enough to stall my car, I want to get under and have a look for any flaking paint and craked welds around the towbar etc, but what else should I look for?

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2006, 11:05 AM   #2
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

I wouldn't be worried about it. My car got rear ended a few years ago by an XE ute that was doing about 60 kay when it hit. My tow bar ended up cracking his engine block and it's still fine. It was pulled off when the car was repaired and put back on and i've never had a problem with it, and i've pulled some heavy loads with it.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2006, 02:23 PM   #3
Andy XR8
AU3 Winged Windsor

if you ask me i would have taken the guys details or at least wrote his rego down somewhere
Andy XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2006, 09:18 PM   #4
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORD_AU3_XR8
if you ask me i would have taken the guys details or at least wrote his rego down somewhere
i`m with you FORD-AU3-XR8 a sudden shock can do things the whole engine driveline can move in the mounts and down the track things can happen, wouldnt hurt too sling your local garage to put it up on the hoist and have a carefull look over everything, a similar thing happened to a mate years ago no apparent damage he drove off without taking details a few k`s down the road the auto lost drive, cant remember what caused it but it cost him too fix the problem,
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2006, 09:25 PM   #5
LUXO_8
windsor user

get your towbar fully checked out before you tow with it again...
ive seen towbars crack along welds after a hit and trailers go flying off.... not great..
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2006, 10:00 PM   #6
HLC
Audi S3

i had some idiots hit my towbar on my ED. it survived. but when i hit a tree it didnt.

should be right. if anything, id check the bolts which hold the tongue on?
Old 02-07-2006, 11:11 PM   #7
EFFalcon
Last warning

also seen tow bars bend the boot floor beyond repair.
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2006, 02:51 PM   #8
autickfordfairmont
Tickford Equiped

This is the exact reason why i am after a towbar for mine, just to protect the rear a little against light rear impacts such as this one.
TS50 Front Bar with Fog lights, TS50 Rear Bar. Injected LPG System,
autickfordfairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2006, 03:15 PM   #9
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

My dad's taxi fleet is getting towbars fitted to all the cabs for the same reason... and paki drivers - lol.

Even though I could have got a new rear bar out of this, which means I wouldn't have my scratched up one, it was well worth avoiding all the hassle....

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2006, 03:19 PM   #10
Dazza TT
Now Prado Powered

Unrelated....
I was in a VX Commo Wagon, drove over a grid, and due to the poxy grid, we dropped off and the towbar mount hooked on the grid.... Made a fair impression on the grid, and bent the rear floor to buggery! Was a mighty big job to repair!
Old 03-07-2006, 03:32 PM   #11
Dazza TT
Now Prado Powered

This would fix them-
Old 03-07-2006, 05:29 PM   #12
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

On a car cruise I was run up the rear by a new BMW 325Ci ... my towbar/ball put a lover hole in his front bumper .. and it cracked my chrome towball cover (wasn't happy about that :P)

The driver of the BMW was annoyed at me for braking so hard ... which i wasn't ... I was already statioery ... his fault ... he was whinging that it was gonna cost him heaps to fix ... blah blah blah.

I asked him if he wanted to go through insurance ... cos i knwe I could have got a few scratches fixed up on my rear bar as well ... he decided against it ... probably would have cost him $3,000 just for his bumper and paint ... LOL.

Had my towar checked out ... not a thing wrong with it.

But my advice .. get the rear floorpan checked out along with your towbar mounts ... just to be safe.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2006, 05:36 PM   #13
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Towbars are great for low impact hits, higher ones however they are no good as they do more damage and good to under the *** off the car and the chassis rails.

I thought about getting one fitted to my Territory but nah.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2006, 06:01 PM   #14
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I have a towbar on both my vehicles .. and they do get used for their intended purposes as well. But sometimes i don't tow ... but coudn't be stuffed taking the hitch off the back everytime i don't tow ... it's annoying.

But i do agree ... I have seen on aother Falon where a rear end shunt ... a decent one ... ripped the bottom out of the floorpan ... would have been a costly fix too.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2006, 12:38 PM   #15
janek
Ripping it up

same here, some turkey hit my *** end less than a week after i just paid 2500 to get all of my previous damage fixed. spreing, i copped a broken chrome cover and a scratched bumper, now is brand new and looks awesome
janek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2006, 12:07 PM   #16
autickfordfairmont
Tickford Equiped

Yeah, i only want one for light impacts, just to stop other damage, & hasstle, and for in car parks where other people touch park, just saves pumps & Scratches, however any decent hit that will bed the floor pan, would do major damage without it there anyways, so i cant see the proplem. Plus would come in handy for the occasional towing aswell.
TS50 Front Bar with Fog lights, TS50 Rear Bar. Injected LPG System,
autickfordfairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post