Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 18-10-2011, 01:02 AM   #1
CODSASR

Default Samsung grew some

About time Samsung stood up to crapple...... oh and for all the apple fanboys there is a sentence in the artical that will make you cry "Samsung recently surpassed Apple in global smartphone sales for the third quarter." hearing that is like music to my ears

Samsung is suing Apple to stop sales of the iPhone 4S in Australia, just days after the device went on sale around the world.
Both companies are now shelling out millions in legal fees to fight more than 20 patent infringement cases in 10 countries. Samsung recently vowed to shift its strategy from "passive" to being "more aggressive" in targeting Apple for "free riding" on its patents.
Samsung filed a suit seeking a ban on sales of the iPhone 4S in the Federal Court's New South Wales Registry today, and separately lodged an appeal against last week's decision by the court to temporarily ban sales of its Galaxy Tab 10.1 in Australia.
Advertisement: Story continues below
Suits against the iPhone 4S had already been launched in Italy and France but today Samsung filed preliminary injunction motions in Tokyo and Australia. A similar case in the Netherlands was dismissed on Friday.
Apple Australia declined to comment.
It is unclear why Samsung did not file its suit before the device went on sale. Telstra alone has sold tens of thousands of iPhone 4 units in the opening three days - "our highest-selling iPhone launch to date" - according to Telstra's director of mobile, Andrew Volard.
Senior patent lawyer Mark Summerfield, from Watermark in Melbourne, said he believed the delay in filing the suit would make it much harder for Samsung to make a case for pulling the iPhone 4S from shelves. He said Samsung may have been waiting for the Federal Court to hand down its preliminary injunction decision for the Galaxy Tab 10.1, which occurred last Thursday.
"I don't think the chances are very high that it will actually be pulled off the shelves," Summerfield said, adding he believed any resolution would most likely be around the payment of royalties.
Independent intellectual property expert Florian Mueller said he did not believe Samsung would be successful in its bid to block the iPhone 4S as the patents it was relying on were "essential to the 3G telecommunications standard".
Samsung recently surpassed Apple in global smartphone sales for the third quarter.
"Samsung's preliminary injunction request in Australia cites three patent infringements related to wireless telecommunications standards, specifically Wideband Code Division Multiple Access (WCDMA) and HSPA," Samsung said in a statement.
"The injunction request in Japan cites infringements on one High Speed Packet Access (HSPA) standard-related patent and three user interface patents, which seriously violate Samsung's intellectual property.
"In light of these violations, Samsung believes the sale of such Apple devices should be injuncted. Apple has continued to violate our patent rights and free ride on our technology. We will steadfastly protect our intellectual property."
Earlier today it was revealed that despite the injunction on the Galaxy Tab 10.1, many Australians were still ordering the device from online stores.
Samsung has suffered setbacks in court in recent days. In addition to the temporary ban on the Galaxy Tab 10.1 sales in Australia, in the US a judge said Samsung infringed Apple's iPad patents while in the Netherlands a court dismissed Samsung's request to block sales of the iPhone and iPad in that country.
Peter Black, an intellectual property law lecturer at the Queensland University of Technology, said it was important to note the difference between an interim injunction and a final injunction. Last week's ban on the Galaxy Tab 10.1 in Australia was an interim injunction until the court can make a final decision on the patent infringement case, which is due next year.
"It is easier to obtain an interim injunction than a final injunction," he said. This was because an interim injunction only required that a court be satisfied that the applicant has a prima facie case, meaning that it is more probable than not that it will succeed at trial.
He questioned whether the patent system in Australia was actually promoting innovation in software and mobile technologies, or whether the patent system and these endless lawsuits were "in fact stifling competition and innovation, with the customer being the ultimate loser".
In seeking to block the sale of the iPhone 4S in Australia, Samsung is relying on the following patents:
Method and apparatus for transmitting/receiving packet data using pre-defined length indicator in a mobile communication system (WCDMA)
Method and apparatus for data transmission in a mobile telecommunication system supporting enhanced uplink service (HSPA)
Method and apparatus for transmitting and receiving data with high reliability in a mobile communication system supporting packet data transmission (HSPA)
- with Ben Grubb

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/digital-lif...#ixzz1b2klZ1En

2012 SZ TS Territory
Old 18-10-2011, 01:12 AM   #2
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 
Default Re: Samsung grew some

Galaxy still sucks considering how easily the damn thing breaks compared to my iPhone4.....
Old 18-10-2011, 03:57 AM   #3
Mal__01
Starter Motor

Go drop your iphone then see how it goes mate. Phones these days should not be dropped.
Old 18-10-2011, 04:43 AM   #4
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrghiawagon
Galaxy still sucks considering how easily the damn thing breaks compared to my iPhone4.....
My regular phone (read: non revolutionary pocket God mobile internet music fashion device) is better than both of them, you could throw it out of an office block into a tornado and it wouldnt break. Then again it still has buttons on it...
Old 18-10-2011, 05:08 AM   #5
Mickxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline
My regular phone (read: non revolutionary pocket God mobile internet music fashion device) is better than both of them, you could throw it out of an office block into a tornado and it wouldnt break. Then again it still has buttons on it...
ahh thats gold, my ol 5110 has taken a tumble off the roof at 100 k`s , the xte I have atm doues well, Am sitting back atm and laughing at all the people who`s lives revolve around there phones (1st responders excluded) , I want, I need, cry me a river ,,
Old 18-10-2011, 06:33 AM   #6
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODSASR
About time Samsung stood up to crapple...... oh and for all the apple fanboys there is a sentence in the artical that will make you cry "Samsung recently surpassed Apple in global smartphone sales for the third quarter." hearing that is like music to my ears
You're getting a little over-excited about all things Apple judging by you other posts.

If you're talking about Samsung suing Apple over FRAND then you need to do some research over what that patent is.

It was just tossed out in a Dutch court too.
Old 18-10-2011, 11:29 AM   #7
My poor XF
Geelong FC 07, 09 & 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal__01
Go drop your iphone then see how it goes mate. Phones these days should not be dropped.
My 3GS tells a different story. That thing has been dropped, thrown and stepped on and works perfectly 2 and a bit years later. Only got rid of it because I get a new phone on my renewed contract.
Old 18-10-2011, 11:34 AM   #8
outside
off in outer space

this will end in tears
Old 18-10-2011, 11:40 AM   #9
dylby1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal__01
My sons thrown mine across the room, it's been knocked off tables and benches and stood on on the floor and it's fine

The iPhone 4 aren't as bad as the 3/3GS or whatever it is haha

1993 Honda VFR750F
Old 18-10-2011, 11:46 AM   #10
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by outside
this will end in tears
Ill stop it before it does, getting a bit sick and tired of people arguing over bloody mobile phones.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
Closed Thread