Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 01-02-2024, 11:23 PM   #1
AlanM

Default Mycar Auto "service"

Just bought a Mk5 ambiente from Grays cheap, with "Transmission Limited Function" lit up on the dash.

Interestingly there was a service receipt from Mycar Auto in the service records. This $1200 service had been carried out SEVEN KILOMETRES before I bought the car. The receipt showed a transmission oil and filter change.

On attempting to drive the car, the transmission was pretty bad, slipping and sometimes refusing to move at all.

So we trailered it home, and then I decided to do what I normally do with malfunctioning DCT450's and pull the valve body out, check solenoids, check for sticking valves clean magnets and solenoid contact surfaces etc.

I was half expecting it to be full of Dexron to be honest.
So, draining the oil - the front chamber had about1 litre in it! The rear had about 2. For a total of three litres! At least it looked like DCT fluid. But these transmissions hold a bit over SIX! There were no huge leaks, it certainly hadn't lost 3 litres in seven kilometres!

So, a revision of the plan - just check the filter is new, and fill the trans using the proper procedure, then test drive.

BEAUTIFUL! Works like a new one, smooth as silk.

While I was under the car I spotted a pretty bad engine oil leak, dripping off the oil filter. Checked and yep, the filter was loose! Quick tighten, squirt with degreaser and no more oil leak!

The poor previous owners paid those clowns about $1200 to basically ruin their car!

DIY people! If you want it done right, do it yourself!

(Anyway worked out great for me, I got a pretty nice car for about 1/3 of what it was worth.)
AlanM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 02-02-2024, 12:30 AM   #2
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Mycar Auto "service"

Hopefully the receipt has the previous owners details so you can contact them and at least help try get their money back. Take a bit of the sting out of it.
arm79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 02-02-2024, 09:25 AM   #3
AlanM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arm79 View Post
Hopefully the receipt has the previous owners details so you can contact them and at least help try get their money back. Take a bit of the sting out of it.
It just has a customer number and says "Driver: Gavin."

Hopefully they did get their money back though. Surely they must have. They would have driven in a car that worked, and been unable to drive it out! I mean it only managed 7km.
Old 03-02-2024, 01:08 PM   #4
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thats a shame. Only because I think bad service and poor workmanship like that should be called out, specially when it costs so much. The previous owner has problably been quoted for a reco trans and it was too much so they dumped the car and are technically out of pocket thousands on bad adive.

The POS Falcon I'm driving now supposedly had the intake cam sensor changed prior to sale because the MIL light would come on intermittently with a sensor fault. The receipt had a line item for the part and installation for $250 for part and installation and the seller told me it was part of the work that had been done for the roadworthy.

It didn't have any codes when I bought it, but that ******* Murphy caused the light to turn on 5 mins after I drove off. Found the code to be the cam sensor and ultimately a new $50 sensor and 10 mins work had the problem solved.

But I dd call the previous owner and told them they got shafted, the sensor wasn't new and appeared to be original. Dirty and aged, possibly even second hand. He just said "he used this mechanic regularly and will be having a chat to him about it later" and to send a pic of the "new" sensor I took out.

Naughty naughy...
arm79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 03-02-2024, 11:45 PM   #5
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Before Musk, it’s the kind of issue you’d have raised on Twitter with MyCar.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2024, 07:52 PM   #6
goz007
Diesel Sniffer

Ohh well good buy yo you Alan..... Tradesman licenses are the same as drivers licenses, some people have them.....but in all reality shouldn't of ever had them issued....
goz007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-02-2024, 07:55 PM   #7
goz007
Diesel Sniffer

Maybe also disclose the mycar on the receipt....so other members know to be mindful of this facility.....
goz007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2024, 08:23 PM   #8
gkhn
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: How to change Ford FG upper control arm bushes + Home made pressing tool 
Exclamation Re: Mycar Auto "service"

I had a similar issue with them. Went there when I had a flat tyre. As they are assymetric tyres, They put inside to outside so needed to go back there to get them to rotate the tyre.
gkhn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 06-02-2024, 08:21 AM   #9
AlanM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goz007 View Post
Maybe also disclose the mycar on the receipt....so other members know to be mindful of this facility.....
Hastings.
2 users like this post: