Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 31-10-2006, 12:55 PM   #1
Jeeepers
Merry Xmas To All

Default How Pathetic.

Well, totally dismayed. Changing from my current insurer, who cannot continue to insure due to mods. So I call Shannons, a site sponsor. Who will cover the mods, and I'm going through all the details over the phone, when comes the question. "Is the vehicle kept in a locked garage?" "No it's a carport" was my reply. "I'm sorry sir, we can't insure your vehicle." WTF They'll cover all my mods, but because I don't have a garage I'm F'd. Now I've heard it all. So the T is sidelined 'till I can insure it. Been with Just Cars, and they charge like a wounded bull.

I have never heard such crap in my life. I could have worn an extra charge for not complying will this rule, but to be denied access to a prefered insurer for such a trivial detail is insane.... : : : : : :

Last edited by ORSM T; 31-10-2006 at 01:01 PM. Reason: spelling
Jeeepers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2006, 12:57 PM   #2
Allen
You win again, gravity!!!

Call back and tell them you are having a lockable garage built next week... Insurance companies suck...

SOON TO BE A TRACK CAR
Allen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2006, 01:00 PM   #3
Jeeepers
Merry Xmas To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlane_ghia
Call back and tell them you are having a lockable garage built next week... Insurance companies suck...
Nice idea, but with my luck, it gets totalled and they find out I've got no garage? Then I'm swinging in the breeze without shorts.
Old 31-10-2006, 01:04 PM   #4
Scott

Being totalled shouldn't matter (unless it happens in your driveway!). Their need for garaging is for fire & theft & vandalism I would assume. I use NRMA, they approved all my mods and were fine with the car being parked in the driveway.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2006, 01:04 PM   #5
WILDTRAKPX2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Try QBE mate, they have been excellent for me.
WILDTRAKPX2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2006, 01:04 PM   #6
bencat

Mate, escalate the call to a supervisor, all insurance companies are flexable enough if you follow these simple rules..

A- Speak to the right person

B- Tell the truth, not the whole truth..

The truth - Yes, it is keept in a locked garage ...

The whole truth - Yes, it is keept in a locked garage, when I go to my mates place once a year..

In all honesty, I would call again and escalte the call, if you have a good insurance history etc I would be surprised if they didn't have a re think..
bencat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2006, 01:07 PM   #7
BJ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bencat
Mate, escalate the call to a supervisor, all insurance companies are flexible enough if you follow these simple rules..

A- Speak to the right person

B- Tell the truth, not the whole truth..

The truth - Yes, it is kept in a locked garage ...

The whole truth - Yes, it is kept in a locked garage, when I go to my mates place once a year..

In all honesty, I would call again and escalate the call, if you have a good insurance history etc I would be surprised if they didn't have a re think..
It's for reason's like that we all pay more. If you are found to be lying you will not only not be covered by them but you will be put on a list and never get cover.
BJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2006, 01:09 PM   #8
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Hmmmm Hot Modified Car parked where people can see any it anytime it is parked at home be that 24/7

Compared to Hot Modified Car parked in a garage where no on can see it

Do that math with the risk.................................Insurance Company's aren't stupid

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2006, 01:11 PM   #9
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pfft like a locked garage is going to stop someone who really wants to steal or damage it! May be harder, but it won't stop them.

You a pay premium (in my case extremely high), what business is it of theirs to say how it is stored/parked. I've got an open carport for my car. Having it in a locked garage wouldn't make me feel any more comfortable.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2006, 01:14 PM   #10
Craig
RIP Craig - 13/11/08
Donating Member1

Seems odd to me Kev, i would call back and ask for a proper explanation from someone in charge, not a phone jockey.
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2006, 01:16 PM   #11
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Here we go again - The Bad Bad Insurance company's

How to steal a car when its in a locked garage 101

You have to break in some how without making noise - thats very hard so you go "oh well lets go to that other car in the carport and nick the wheels as its MUCH EASIER..........." :togo: :

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2006, 01:18 PM   #12
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
Pfft like a locked garage is going to stop someone who really wants to steal or damage it! May be harder, but it won't stop them.

You a pay premium (in my case extremely high), what business is it of theirs to say how it is stored/parked. I've got an open carport for my car. Having it in a locked garage wouldn't make me feel any more comfortable.
mate you cant be serious,
you own a hot car and keep it outside under a carport, very risky ,of course an insurance company like shannons will take a dim view of it,anyone can see it and of course damage or steal it,so there risk goes from medium to extreme.
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2006, 01:20 PM   #13
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

I had an examiner come to my house once to check something after an incident so I'm glad I didn't lie about where my car is kept. It could have meant a lot of hassle.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2006, 01:20 PM   #14
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas
mate you cant be serious,
you own a hot car and keep it outside under a carport, very risky ,of course an insurance company like shannons will take a dim view of it,anyone can see it and of course damage or steal it,so there risk goes from medium to extreme.
Yeah and I pay the price of that risk. Fair enough charge more if need be, but don't refuse a policy.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2006, 01:23 PM   #15
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig@ACE
Seems odd to me Kev, i would call back and ask for a proper explanation from someone in charge, not a phone jockey.
that would seem like a good idea i think, at least know WHY they wont insure you.

just think would you insure a beautiful car that draws attention then on top is modified then is out in the cold where the select few have access to, i think its fair they declined you.

but hey if you were happy to pay extra to cover your car under a carport wouldnt it be easier to spend $2-4k on a lockable garage....you prob spent 3x that on the car so why not pay for your own little bit of insurance....a garage

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2006, 01:23 PM   #16
Matty4
Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ
It's for reason's like that we all pay more. If you are found to be lying you will not only not be covered by them but you will be put on a list and never get cover.
Why?????
There's no fraud being committed here. If he makes a claim and is found to have lied....claim denied... no payout....insurance company makes more money...not less!!!
Old 31-10-2006, 01:24 PM   #17
Jeeepers
Merry Xmas To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig@ACE
Just did that Craig. Went through the mod list, and they class it as a "High Performance Toy" that is "not suitable to insure as a daily driver" and that it would be "Highly desireable" and therefore they require a "Locked Garage." "But thank you for the call." :yeees: :yeees:
Old 31-10-2006, 01:28 PM   #18
Jeeepers
Merry Xmas To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by FALCONSR
that would seem like a good idea i think, at least know WHY they wont insure you.

just think would you insure a beautiful car that draws attention then on top is modified then is out in the cold where the select few have access to, i think its fair they declined you.

but hey if you were happy to pay extra to cover your car under a carport wouldnt it be easier to spend $2-4k on a lockable garage....you prob spent 3x that on the car so why not pay for your own little bit of insurance....a garage
Well, not everyone has the room for a LUG. I certainly don't, without doing some major reconstructing. Be damned if I'm doin' that. I'll sell the T first. That's how jacked I am over this.
Old 31-10-2006, 01:35 PM   #19
Jeeepers
Merry Xmas To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMH8TR
I use NRMA, they approved all my mods and were fine with the car being parked in the driveway.
They don't insure in Victoria.
Old 31-10-2006, 01:37 PM   #20
Jeeepers
Merry Xmas To All

So who wants a quick T?
Old 31-10-2006, 01:48 PM   #21
colossus
Secret Sleuth

Umm you could always just say you have a locked garage at home. The only time it would matter to them is if the car got stolen from your carport. If this did occur you could always say it got stolen from the local shopping centre or train station ect when making the claim.
Old 31-10-2006, 01:55 PM   #22
philstoj
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Try Vigil, i went through the same crap with shannons, no garage, no insurance.
Vigil are even better if you have an old car, but they insure any car, especially modded ones, and they are good on price.
philstoj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2006, 02:06 PM   #23
Jeeepers
Merry Xmas To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by philstoj
Try Vigil, i went through the same crap with shannons, no garage, no insurance.
Vigil are even better if you have an old car, but they insure any car, especially modded ones, and they are good on price.
Vigil? Never heard of them. Do they insure in Vic? NRMA don't, I doubt QBE do either. Do you have a number?
Old 31-10-2006, 02:14 PM   #24
b2tf
not here much anymore

ORSM T, send me a pm.....
Old 31-10-2006, 02:14 PM   #25
Jeeepers
Merry Xmas To All

Vigil does not insure Ford XR6.... Was the error on the website.
Old 31-10-2006, 02:20 PM   #26
philstoj
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ring them, dont bother with the website crap!
philstoj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2006, 02:20 PM   #27
xrdreaming

Mate try Just cars again, I am 31 years old with more mods than you would have and the ute is insured for work purposes and I pay $1,700 a year and it doesn't have to be in a lockable garage. That's not a bad deal as I have all of my mods listed.
Old 31-10-2006, 02:21 PM   #28
bencat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ
Mate, read my post, tounge in cheek, I said quite clearly ring again, escalate the call...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRHEMI
Here we go again - The Bad Bad Insurance company's

How to steal a car when its in a locked garage 101

You have to break in some how without making noise - thats very hard so you go "oh well lets go to that other car in the carport and nick the wheels as its MUCH EASIER..........."
I don't see you posting on every thread that some one implies they'll torch there car for better value...

As for the people that are giving him grief about having a whinge about an insurance company, ow woe is them my a$$, they make money hand over fist and accepting low and high risk balances it's self out short, mid and long term.

I was an assessor for the NRMA after I left the motor trades as a stepping stone in to the corporate world, and mate I have plenty of stories about how stuff works in the real world of insurance,

As with everything ORSM T, it's about people and approach, policies are always flexable enough to accomodate exemptions and exceptions, if your anything like half of us, take 3 deep breaths before you make the call again
bencat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2006, 02:24 PM   #29
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

Have you tried Just Cars?

They claim to insurance just about everything.
Piotr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2006, 02:29 PM   #30
Jeeepers
Merry Xmas To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by bencat
As with everything ORSM T, it's about people and approach, policies are always flexable enough to accomodate exemptions and exceptions, if your anything like half of us, take 3 deep breaths before you make the call again
Appreciate the help, and I did call them back. I got alot further with next bloke. But the same result. No garage, no insurance. Vigil was another suggestion, they do not cover Falcon XR6 or 8. It's seems I have 2 options at this stage. Revert to stock or sell. The uninsured option before anyone suggests it, is not an option, but sheer stupidity.