Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-06-2013, 02:54 PM   #1
BroadyFord

Default Toyota Australia reports $220 million PROFIT

Good news!

Bodes well for future manufacturing operations, especially given the Australian dollar has come off its highs.

No press release yet but some more info soon.

BroadyFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-06-2013, 03:06 PM   #2
turbodewd
FG Falcon fan

Default Re: Toyota Australia reports $220 million PROFIT

I take my hats off to Toyota. If anyone was going to start a carmaking company tomoro they would be wise to start by copying everything Toyota does.
turbodewd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2013, 03:09 PM   #3
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Well...interesting...considering some of the comments from this forum...
Old 11-06-2013, 03:24 PM   #4
BroadyFord

As expected, Dowling is going nuts on Twitter about how x amount of govt subsidy equated to y amount of profit and how all the profit came from imports and it's futile for them to continue local manufacturing yada, yada, yada...

Honestly, why can't these idiots ever be happy about announcements like this?
Old 11-06-2013, 03:26 PM   #5
turbodewd
FG Falcon fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadyFord View Post
As expected, Dowling is going nuts on Twitter about how x amount of govt subsidy equated to y amount of profit and how all the profit came from imports and it's futile for them to continue local manufacturing yada, yada, yada...

Honestly, why can't these idiots ever be happy about announcements like this?
I agree Dowling should shut his mouth. He's a motoring journo and not an expert on economics or the global auto trade. If he produces a thoroughly researched thesis, peer-reviewed too, then he might have some cred on the matter.
turbodewd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2013, 03:39 PM   #6
Gadgetman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Toyota Australia sold nearly 200,000 cars in the fiscal year gone. That would smuther any loss that their local production arm would draw with plenty of change. Hence the 200 plus million profit. A play with numbers but that's cool, you believe it.
Gadgetman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2013, 03:40 PM   #7
BroadyFord

Here it is...

Toyota profit doesn't halt handouts bid

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/business...-1226661879639

TOYOTA Australia has made a $220m profit in the past year but is still in discussions with the Federal Government for more handouts.

The company announced this afternoon that it had recorded the impressive result, which was based on retail sales and local manufacturing.

Toyota boss Max Yasuda said the locally produced Camrys were still popular with Australians.

"Our locally built Camry, Camry Hybrid and Aurion vehicles continue to sell well in both domestic and export markets," he said.

"This demonstrates we are building high quality and durable vehicles that Australian motorists want to buy and enjoy, with the Camry being the best selling vehicle in its segment for 19 years in a row."
3 users like this post:
Old 11-06-2013, 04:04 PM   #8
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

That's what happens when you have a proper export program.......
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2013, 06:30 PM   #9
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

We are happy with our new Toyota, and it will guarantee another sale.
2 users like this post:
Old 11-06-2013, 06:37 PM   #10
Gadgetman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT View Post
Really? Thats what happens when you're $29990 at near 0% finance for over a year. How profitable would you think that would be for them? More so how did Aurion fare against Commodore and Falcon. The only issue is people believing everything thats printed.
Know what the retail pricing is for the chevrolet SS is in the US? It is $44,740 US dollars over there. Guess how many they will sell? As may as the G8 cause its over priced to buggery. That is why both export programs and producing cars in Australia for Australians is out of the question.

Think about this one. The market in Malaysia is 800,000 units per annum. A car distributer there "which i will not mention brand name" only sold 7000 units last year because they do not produce vehicles there. The malaysian government places massive taxes on distributers over there to protect local manufacturing. All of which the ensures that they have a steady local manufacturing industry and makes distributers reconsider penetrating their market place. We (Australia) on the other hand have over time made is easier for distributers and more difficult for manufacterers. It doesnt make sense to build in australia and the last 2 manufacterers will make simliar annoucements (sadly) over the next 12 months.
Gadgetman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-06-2013, 06:56 PM   #11
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetman View Post
Really? Thats what happens when you're $29990 at near 0% finance for over a year. How profitable would you think that would be for them?
IF selling at $29990 and offering 0 % interest (you know that's only for 36 months ,right ,not 5 or 7 years ,does hurt the wallet to pay 30 grand of in 36 months,none the less)is what it takes to sell cars , then that's what you offer .....
They made a profit because the cars aren't sitting in the lot , there not like some other manufacturers who complain they cant sell, which in turn has cars on the lot, you make 0 profit
Nissan are doin 0 % interest on some of the range ,that's how tuff it is to sell ATM, they offer the navara at 0 % ,they'll give hillux a run for top seller

You have to do what it takes to sell, wether cars or anything, don't sell don't make money , pretty simple really ......

First rule I was taught in business,
"Its better to sell 10 things at a small profit ,than 1 thing at a huge profit and possibly get stuck with it "
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-06-2013, 07:09 PM   #12
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetman View Post
Really? Thats what happens when you're $29990 at near 0% finance for over a year. How profitable would you think that would be for them? More so how did Aurion fare against Commodore and Falcon.
But what else should it cost? You can get a CRV for 29,990, a AWD Subaru forester is about 31. You can pick up a Corolla for 20 grand brand new, I think Toyota would be happy people paying 10 grand more for a Camry.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2013, 07:51 PM   #13
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Toyota dont actually make money from base model Camrys, they are sold at a loss.

I think you'll find the majority of the profit is from the imports, if not all of it.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2013, 08:06 PM   #14
Benjamin Smith

I don't care how many they sell, they are boring as bat ****, plus there sales people need a talking to, walked into Harvey Norman into the white goods section and asked for a test drive of the Camry, he said they don't sell them!
Benjamin Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 11-06-2013, 08:12 PM   #15
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

If local manufacturing was not profitable for Toyota, it would not be seeking funding to add RAV4 production.

Big difference here is that Toyota appreciates:
- the significance of having strong vehicles competing in ALL segments
- that local production of vehicles give them that "Australian" look to their product line up.

Toyota seems to have manged to develop the very thing that Ford nad Holden lost over the years,
a strong connection with buyers. Love or hate their products, you cannot deny Toyota's market dominance...

Ford and Holden died in their sleep years ago but never realised it...
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 11-06-2013, 08:17 PM   #16
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Its good to see Toyota fighting for local manufacture and putting the effort in.

Not like Ford's its all too hard, i'm picking up my bat and ball and going home because my masters told me too bs.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2013, 08:22 PM   #17
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Smith View Post
I don't care how many they sell, they are boring as bat ****, plus there sales people need a talking to, walked into Harvey Norman into the white goods section and asked for a test drive of the Camry, he said they don't sell them!
they are boring cars. but its what people want. a car that goes from A to B. people like us can say how much our falcon is a better car but people seem too think its unreliable and chews fuel. far from the truth. I personally think the camry is heavy on fuel at times for a four cylinder but you cant convince people. hybrid would be fantastic on fuel. I've never driven a hybrid one. I would own a Aurion however in saying that. just for the straight line acceleration. I will give camry one thing. its made here in Australia which at the end of the day puts Australians in jobs
flooded one is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-06-2013, 08:28 PM   #18
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Its good to see Toyota fighting for local manufacture and putting the effort in.

Not like Ford's its all too hard, i'm picking up my bat and ball and going home because my masters told me too bs.

I can understand why fords pulling out but in saying that I kinda feel like they have never really gave the falcon a chance?? I really wished ford could of exported the falcon overseas too the USA. I've known for years (even back in the days of the BA) where americans would say. "gee, I wish ford sold them here". with this one ford thing. I thought they would of built falcon on mustangs platform and have the falcon for sale along side mustang. that way ford would have a rear wheel drive performance sedan.
flooded one is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2013, 08:35 PM   #19
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT View Post
More then that...

Toyota Australia hardly have to spend a cent of expensive engineering procedures. The Camry is also built in 9 other countries, meaning costs of setting up dies, moulds and manufacturing facilities are cheaper to implement.

An export program alone is not the sole reason for success.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 11-06-2013, 08:38 PM   #20
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post

Ford Australia have to share some of the blame, its not just a matter of ford US.

With the FG falcon, the 4l should have died, and been replaced by a global V6 from the start, and efforts used to implement more global wiring/electronics.

This could have helped cut costs, and make export more attractive.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2013, 08:40 PM   #21
b2tf
not here much anymore

Bring out the Tundra here and I'll buy a Toyota. Until then, good luck to them but they don't build anything I want.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:50 PM   #22
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf View Post
Bring out the Tundra here and I'll buy a Toyota. Until then, good luck to them but they don't build anything I want.
Seen a cpl of those around, they are a sweet looking truck.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:56 PM   #23
zilo
BANNED

I see a lot more Toyota camry and prius hybrids than any other makers' hybrid.
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2013, 10:30 PM   #24
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I'd have a Tundra if they were sold here, obviously not at $100,000+. Reasonable like the F series was when it was sold here, entry level under $60K.

*waits for expensive Australian labour and anti-union hecklers being Ford's downfall*
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2013, 10:33 PM   #25
GREGL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Might not be a margin in the camry, but the landcruiser more than makes up for it (and how many of those walk out the door ). An old boss of mine bought a GXV in 98 and it was $78000 then, sold it for $25000 when the first V8 diesels came out and bought a sahara @ 85g.
Tax right off or not at the time it was about 50% of the value of my house and it still makes me shake my head.
I only wonder what might have been if Ford established the same rapport as Toyota has but you can't deny they have got it right regardless of what they sell .
GREGL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2013, 10:44 PM   #26
fte50
T3FTE -099. OnTemp Loan

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin View Post
Toyota dont actually make money from base model Camrys, they are sold at a loss.

I think you'll find the majority of the profit is from the imports, if not all of it.
Is this fact - Hard to believe if so. I dont see why any manufacturer would continue to knowingly engage in an operation at a loss ..... somehow i dont think the shareholders would approve.
Isnt that Fords reason 4 pulling out.

Warning - This users posts are classified (G).

G (General) – Contains material intended for general viewing. The content is very mild in impact.
IT IS STRONGLY ADVISED SENSITIVE ADULTS VIEW IN THE COMPANY OF CHILDREN
fte50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2013, 10:46 PM   #27
Bundy
All Ford Club Life Member
Donating Member3

Toyota have only one industry to thank for its success here in Oz and that's mining.
Toyota out number ever other manufacturer in the car parks 5 to 1 easily, mostly company mine spec vehicles, though plenty of dough from the boys make tray back landcruisers a very popular item too.

Worked AU XR8 Ute - Toy

Std FG XR6T Ute - Daily

Supercharged BA 6 Ute - Wife's daily

351W F150 93 XLT 4x4 Supercab
Bundy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2013, 10:51 PM   #28
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf View Post
Bloke I know has one - like all of that style of truck, they look great!
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2013, 10:52 PM   #29
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodewd View Post
I take my hats off to Toyota. If anyone was going to start a carmaking company tomoro they would be wise to start by copying everything Toyota does.
Yes , including employing security guards to escort laid off workers from Toyota premises.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2013, 11:32 PM   #30
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fte50 View Post
Is this fact - Hard to believe if so. I dont see why any manufacturer would continue to knowingly engage in an operation at a loss ..... somehow i dont think the shareholders would approve.
Isnt that Fords reason 4 pulling out.
It was mentioned in Wheels a few months ago. The Aussie Camry is the most expensive version to build, and there are plenty of other factories who can build it cheaper and export it cheaper.

Plenty of businesses run at a loss in some areas and make it up in others.
Woolworths actually make bugger all out of their supermarkets, most of their profit is from alcohol and gambling...
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post