Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 11-01-2012, 09:36 PM   #31
JG33RD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Need help with 60's

Roll I imagine
JG33RD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2012, 11:00 PM   #32
dieseltrain79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Then the front brakes wont hold it hard enough .

Other option is Transbrake ;) Then whatever rpm + let go of button =

1991 Toyota Soarer TT - 11.72 @ 116.7mph

2004 Ford Escape XLT V6 - Family Ride .
dieseltrain79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2012, 03:02 PM   #33
F6 JET
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG33RD
Roll I imagine

well champ first things first go work it out weather its skidding or rolling under stall condition if its rolling then ur front brakes just arent holding it wich isnt very good cause most cars can at least hold the brakes in the locked position(skid/slide)

if urs cant hold the fronts locked then i dare say ur not getting the desired pressure in the booster with the big cam and a couple of presses on the brake at the line

vac tank seems like avery good option for the cheep $$$ involved and easy as to install
F6 JET is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2012, 12:58 AM   #34
JG33RD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not sure if this helps. Anyones oppinions welcome
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtbgRAQ_JKo
Old 29-02-2012, 12:54 AM   #35
TruBlu351
3 Pedals R Better Than 2

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has given endless help in the cleveland section over the years. Knows his stuff and happily tests on the track and gives no fuss results. 

Yo JG!! Looks like you're having some fun in the vids there!

For some reason I thought I'd read you have 3.9 gears but watching your video I immediately thought you must have some 3.5's or 3.7's in there!.....so after re-reading your 1st post, yep 3.7s! I can tell just by looking at it, that some 4.11's will certainly breathe some life into the old girl.

You're not spinning off the line or suffering any weight transfer/unloading issues at the moment, which is typical of lazy launches, so the chassis/driveline isn't reacting too violently when you step on it.

I'm sure I kept hearing nitrous purge squirts in your vids

Just a few tips for the guy taking your videos (which are invaluable when it comes to reviewing your setup after racing to make any changes).....

1. Get him on the side of the track you are racing on.....that Currajong barrier is blocking all the vital info of wheel spin, chassis movement etc.

2. When he "frames" the car in the camera viewer on the start line, you need to position the car towards the rear of the frame, so you don't lose the front end on launch (which can tell you lots of info).

Regarding your gearing, I'd pull those 3.7's out tomorrow! Look at the vid @ 2:34 and listen to the rpm. You can hear the stall flash quite high, but immediately, the stall locks up at a lower rpm, and because you have tall gearing, the driveline pulls the engine down, then the rpm slowly builds back up. So you're not allowing the engine to stay in its peak torque power area to drag it out of the hole.

You're spending about 4 seconds in first gear! Even though I drive a manual, I'm just just pulling into 3rd at about 4 seconds! My first gear is over @ 7000rpm in about 1.8 seconds

So the 3.7 gearing is pulling the engine down for you slower 60ft times and it's also slowing down the overall acceleration down the track. I'd change the gearing first, then if required look at stall speeds.

Did you end up getting the vacuum cannister? With the video of the front tyres you'd be able to tell stuff like front tyres rolling/skidding when you stall it up.

The overall chassis looks reasonably loose which will allow some good weight transfer when it does hook up harder....got that see-sawing motion out of the burnout pad. Looks like you have stocko 6cyl rear leaf springs? and with your 90/10s and 50/50's, that's a great starting point.....but you're not seeing any real requirements to change/tune any of those until you start spinning/unloading or having weight transfer issues etc.

So get those 4.11's in there and HANG ON

If you had a manual, I'd say get some more rpm into the clutch dump and if it still hooked and pulled the engine down, put a few psi into the tyres ;)

TruBlu351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-02-2012, 10:30 AM   #36
JG33RD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

THANKS MATE!!! That's really helpfull, I don't actually know the bloke who took the vids, didn't even know they exsisted till a few days ago when someone told me. The nitros purges I think are the track crew sweeping the burnout pad, definately none of that stuff in my car. The 4.11's are in now but have the engine apart sorting out a valve issue but hopefully back together in a few days and racing asap. The rear springs are meant to be V8 but it's possible they are 6's. Don't know what to expect et/mph wise with the gears but only time will tell, once again thanks for your opinion I do appreciate it.
Old 29-02-2012, 11:41 PM   #37
TruBlu351
3 Pedals R Better Than 2

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has given endless help in the cleveland section over the years. Knows his stuff and happily tests on the track and gives no fuss results. 

Ahh cool....lucky find to get the vid!

The 6 cyl leaf springs are actually a lot better than really stiff V8 springs for drag racing. I had really stiff 6 leaf V8 springs in my old XD....the 6cyl ones are about 4 leafs. When you dump it off the line, the whole diff gets planted into the ground which you can see @ 2:31 along with a big of spring wrap up. Whilst stiff leafs can reduce the spring wrap up, the can also oppose the axle getting pushed into the ground for traction.

When the diff gets pushed down, the stronger V8 springs want to go straight back to their normal position and can create a kind of rebound effect. But if you have the right shocks, you can adjust the rebound to hold the axle down so it comes back slowly. You're not suffering from any of that yet, but with 4.11's and a harder hit, you could.

Keep us posted when you get the engine back in!......and be sure to get your runs taped so we can enjoy the fun too!

Old 06-04-2012, 11:59 AM   #38
JG33RD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Finally got a run in last weekend, unfortunately I had a rocker cover leak that I couldn't do any thing with at the time so only got two runs in. Let me just say #### ME those gears make a difference, first run and straight away I was impressed with the way it pulled. Usually takes me about 3 runs to get tire pressure and my driving sorted so a 1.91 60' wasn't too bad and I backed off before the end, wasn't sure what the mph would be and I haven't got a harness fitted yet, usually runs high 108mph, anyway 12.60 @ 103.68 I thought was alright. Second run and it flat spotted of the line, when it fired again I lost my train of thought and hit the limiter before gear change so my 60' whas shyzen 2.262 and a 13.019 @ 108.95. Lined up for a third but was sent back with oil leak so still haven't really got an idea of what's there. Will have a crack again next week and hopefully get some runs in.
Old 06-04-2012, 03:41 PM   #39
TruBlu351
3 Pedals R Better Than 2

Excellent!! Can't wait for round 2!!

Old 15-04-2012, 12:18 AM   #40
JG33RD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

12.345@110.02 Getting better, think it's leaning out though, going to up in jet's and see how that goes. That's after I fix whatever I broke this time That was a 1.865 60' by the way not my best but I did get a 1.771 which yeilded a 12.392@108.17 funny thing, I would have thought with the 4.11's it would be harder to hold the thing on the line with rpm, turns out I can hold it higher now, ******* this racing biz is hard to nut out.