Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-10-2009, 06:57 PM   #1
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

Exclamation Is the XR8 getting the boot next year?

Was talking to someone on Saturday avo during the shootout and he said that Ford announced that it was killing off the XR8 next year, it (v8) will only be sourced through FPV. This man works for Ford & with the motorsport side, if anyone has any info would be glad to he it.

cosmo20btt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2009, 07:02 PM   #2
jasjul

That's what I've heard as well. Wheels or Motor have talked about rumours as well. Apparently when the Boss gets the bin so will the XR8, so June 2010. July 2010 is when new emission laws come in and the Boss wont meet them.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:05 PM   #3
Fireblade
Wizard Member

I think this why the GS was introduced, FPV will be the only one doing V8's in Fords range, leaving Ford to do the XR6 and XR6T which are bigger sellers than the XR8. Pity though this what made me a Ford fan in the first place, the day the EB XR8 was released.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:05 PM   #4
4VCLEVO
XA GT

Its just rumours and speculation at the moment, ford have not anounced the death of the XR8 publicly yet.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:06 PM   #5
Damozxr6
FORD4LIFE

hope u guys are wrong!
Old 12-10-2009, 07:20 PM   #6
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Ah well, how much more is a base model GT over the XR8? If it isn't a HUGE difference I suppose it wouldn't be too bad right?

I'd rather Ford focus on the I6 to be honest, leave FPV with the 8s.

The I6T is on a similar level to the Toyota 2JZGTE I6, when it comes to potential.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2009, 07:23 PM   #7
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

I will stand to be corrected but no more than a week or so ago there was an article stating from the CEO himself that it wont be killed off, and that there was still a busniess case for the XR8 ute and sedan dispite it only selling 1000/2000 units a year.

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...
UNR8D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2009, 07:24 PM   #8
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

I hope it doesn't go, but it's hard to see it's place with the GS coming in.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2009, 07:25 PM   #9
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4VCLEVO
Its just rumours and speculation at the moment, ford have not anounced the death of the XR8 publicly yet.
This^^^^

No announcement, and the decision is still under discussion as to wether there will be an XR8 or not. Nothings been decided yet.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2009, 07:28 PM   #10
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCPWSF
Ah well, how much more is a base model GT over the XR8? If it isn't a HUGE difference I suppose it wouldn't be too bad right?

They are the best part of $18,000 dearer than an XR8
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2009, 07:34 PM   #11
Fireblade
Wizard Member

The GS is comparable money though
Old 12-10-2009, 07:38 PM   #12
FASTXR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U
I hope it doesn't go, but it's hard to see it's place with the GS coming in.
But the GS is only a limited-run model (a la Cobra) - 250 sedans and 75 utes (see website HERE) - so that would leave the GT as the "entry level" V8 if the XR8 goes.
FASTXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2009, 07:45 PM   #13
Ibrox90
Banned

Well if you think about it, I can seen it happening, I think all up I've 2 FG XR8's 1 was a demo at Wayne Phillis Ford the other was at West Lakes It was dumped sitting on HUGE Rims and custom paint (chrome paint) (ruined in my opinon)

HIS
THUNDER
2004 BA XR8
Blueprint

Mods:
Quad Exhaust, Hi-Flow Air filter, BFtiming chain tensioners, Billet Oil pump gears
stage 2 shift kit, riding on G6ET 18's

HERS
FLASH
BA MKII XR6 Turbo
Phantom Purple
Typhoon front end

Parking your ford after a long day of being Awesome
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Parkin...37774932974038
Ibrox90 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2009, 08:04 PM   #14
Fireblade
Wizard Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTXR
But the GS is only a limited-run model (a la Cobra) - 250 sedans and 75 utes (see website HERE) - so that would leave the GT as the "entry level" V8 if the XR8 goes.
Limited run to see how it goes, if it sells maybe it will replace the XR8, this is just my assumption as I don't see the need to have an entry level FPV that is in the same price bracket as the XR8.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:10 PM   #15
FASTXR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I agree, I was just wondering how people who purchased a "limited edition" model would feel about it becoming a permanent model thats all!
FASTXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2009, 08:13 PM   #16
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

GS won't be a limited edition if they drop the XR8..
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2009, 08:19 PM   #17
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTXR
It would very easy for them to extend GS into normal production model as it is really just a mix of other production bits and pieces.

In my view, it would be the worst mistake FPV could make. They marketed their product in times gone by of them being something special, something a bit exclusive, something to admire. To support this, consider the intro letter in the FPV Owners Compendium.

In the BA series the first paragraph read-

"Congratulations, you are amongst a very select group of people who have just taken delivery of one of Australia's premium high performance vehicles. This places you amongst an exclusive group of owners, so enjoy this special moment and many more to come."

Note the expression of being "select" and "exclusive", a claim their marketing program of the time focussed quite heavily on. Owners of the FPV's of the time paid extra money for that.

Now look at the first paragraph of the BF series-

"Congratulations, you have just taken delivery of one of Australia's premium high performance vehicles- The new FPV BF series."

The rest of the intro in both cases is the same. So in the BF, they make no mention of it being exclusive, just performance.

Is it because by the time the BF was realeased, FPV had built a bit of a name and reputation for being a special car, now they were just after max money and planned to sell to police etc. I believe this is the case as not long after the release of the BF, FPV's were being sold to police.

The issue with this situation is you have people that are spending upwards of $90k for a vehicle that police are buying, although lower spec, flogging them and then auctioning them. The end result is it damages the resale of these vehicle for those that actually paid for them. Look at us for an example, we paid $60k+ for our BF SP, now 3 years later we have recieved trade in prices as low a $23k :

So how is all this relevant to the situation of V8 being FPV only and FPV GS being the base Ford V8 in australia? If the XR8 was to be dropped and the FPV GS became the low spec Ford V8, FPV are then no longer that lit bit special, it is just a question of V8 or Turbo?

I strongly believe this is where HSV have it right, I have never seen a HSV fleet (such as cop) car in WA or QLD. To my knowledge they will not do it as they maintain that their marque is for people that have the money to spend for something that is just a bit special. Unfortunately they undo all that good rep by updating every model 12 months later with a new model that has more power, but that is a sideline issue.

I know this will not be a popular vew here, but FPV is now more "a kitted up falcon with a big engine" than it has ever been before.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:27 PM   #18
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Have a read here, some very interesting hint's. I heard this a few month's back !.
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11263939
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2009, 08:32 PM   #19
Fireblade
Wizard Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
I know this will not be a popular vew here, but FPV is now more "a kitted up falcon with a big engine" than it has ever been before.
This has been my opinion, HSV and FPV are just kitted up base model falcodores and always have been, doesn't make me not want one, but it does mean that I don't think I'm in exclusive company, if I wanted that I'd buy a Lambo.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:39 PM   #20
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6 FOON
This has been my opinion, HSV and FPV are just kitted up base model falcodores and always have been, doesn't make me not want one, but it does mean that I don't think I'm in exclusive company, if I wanted that I'd buy a Lambo.

See your point and agree with you to a point, although a large difference between the affordability of a FPV and a lambo.

Yes they have always bee a kitted up falcon, but there were some claims that made you a bt free on spending the extra money such as-

"they have better resale as they do not go to fleets"

"you can not do up a replica"

"they get better servicing"

If FPV becomes the V8 arm of mainstream Ford, these claims will be even further from the truth.

Like I said, I think a big mistake.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:43 PM   #21
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

The only thing i can see wrong with killing XR8 is the fact that you wont be able to get a mainstream ford V8 ute.. Alot of guys buy V8 utes tow etc, and i reckon the XR8 utes actually sell nearly 1 for 1 verse the XR6 T.. They are pretty popular!
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2009, 08:55 PM   #22
Fireblade
Wizard Member

Quote:
See your point and agree with you to a point, although a large difference between the affordability of a FPV and a lambo.

Yes they have always bee a kitted up falcon, but there were some claims that made you a bt free on spending the extra money such as-

"they have better resale as they do not go to fleets"

"you can not do up a replica"

"they get better servicing"

If FPV becomes the V8 arm of mainstream Ford, these claims will be even further from the truth.

Like I said, I think a big mistake.
No argument here, but my take on this post.

I spent the extra because of the options/features than an XR series.

Resale - Dont plan on selling as I am extremely happy with this car.

Replica - I hate fakers with a passion. If you want an GT/F6 buy one.

Servicing - Hasn't been to Ford since I have bought the car, I have 2 best mates that are very trusted mechanics, and the fact I started modding the day I bought it.

Now to the lambo remark, that is how you get exclusivity, how man people can actually afford to buy one of these, in all reality an FPV/HSV is an affordable vehicle if you want to spend that sort of coin.

My opinion was the mistake was made when prodrive come on board with ford and created FPV and not putting the XR series under the FPV banner as previous models were under the tickford banner and thats what made them more desirable.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:09 PM   #23
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:

My opinion was the mistake was made when prodrive come on board with ford and created FPV and not putting the XR series under the FPV banner as previous models were under the tickford banner and thats what made them more desirable.

Agree completely.

I am going to upset some here and suggest the XR lost a lot of its appeal when it came under the mainstream Ford umbrella with the BA. An example is that XR6 has outsold XT on many occasions, to me that is not the mark of a performance car, just one that is well specced and good value.

Losing the XR8 to FPV as the GS, but keeping XR6 and XR6T in Ford as well as having F6 in FPV will blur the lines too much between Ford and FPV. Perhaps if they want to do this, move the XR6T to FPV as the XR6, XR8 is GS spec but retains the XR8 name and moves to FPV as well. For mainstream ford they should resurrect an old badge by changing XR6 to the S (which is what it really is now).

Only then will Ford be in control of the mainstream and FPV be the true home of Ford performance.

Time to hide now :
Old 12-10-2009, 09:11 PM   #24
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I think this why the GS was introduced, FPV will be the only one doing V8's in Fords range, leaving Ford to do the XR6 and XR6T which are bigger sellers than the XR8. Pity though this what made me a Ford fan in the first place, the day the EB XR8 was released.
Yep, same here too, except it was the EBII XR8. I became a Ford fan the day I picked up that car. Was white in colour. That was a great car.
GTP534 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2009, 09:24 PM   #25
Fireblade
Wizard Member

I was too young to afford one then, but a mate of mine bought one and I loved it, I wanted one of these but the missus made me get a AU XR8 instead, then we got a BA MkII XR6 (Missus car) and I thought this is getting better and now I have the F6. The only thing with the XR series since 2003 is that they don't feel like a performance car anymore but just look like one.

Last edited by Fireblade; 12-10-2009 at 09:29 PM.
Fireblade is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2009, 09:27 PM   #26
Fireblade
Wizard Member

Quote:
Agree completely.

I am going to upset some here and suggest the XR lost a lot of its appeal when it came under the mainstream Ford umbrella with the BA. An example is that XR6 has outsold XT on many occasions, to me that is not the mark of a performance car, just one that is well specced and good value.

Losing the XR8 to FPV as the GS, but keeping XR6 and XR6T in Ford as well as having F6 in FPV will blur the lines too much between Ford and FPV. Perhaps if they want to do this, move the XR6T to FPV as the XR6, XR8 is GS spec but retains the XR8 name and moves to FPV as well. For mainstream ford they should resurrect an old badge by changing XR6 to the S (which is what it really is now).

Only then will Ford be in control of the mainstream and FPV be the true home of Ford performance.

Time to hide now :

Top post, exactly how it should be, drop the turbo name and just keep it to XR6, and making the GS the XR8. IMO this would keep the history going and make them more desirable again. But in saying that I think the F6 should be the XR6 and the GT the XR8, that would've been a more modern restyle I think.

Last edited by Fireblade; 12-10-2009 at 09:35 PM.
Fireblade is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2009, 09:54 PM   #27
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

If the XR8 were removed,where would a GS sit I wonder in relation to its GMH competition? Im guessing the Clubsport, and the GT is left to be up with the GTS, then perhaps the GTP should be removed from the lineup.
This would actually bode well for public perception of Ford's V8. People would stand back and think "wow, the XR6T takes care of the SS, and FPV are making whizz-bang V8's to compete against HSV's offerings, plus we get spoilt by having an F6 as well to take them on." In saying that though, where does the F6 get placed in relation to competition?

The other alternative is to keep the XR8, forget the GS (unless its badged as a Ford not FPV for XR8 replacement), and just throw a V8 in it that will keep pace with the XR6T and the SS.

And with a 5.8L coyote (XR8/GS) and the 6.2L Boss (GT) it would seem an ideal sort of V8 lineup. Since the Boss seems to have far more potential with a DOHC Frankenstein job (unlike the 5.4 boss, not saying it's bad, just couldve been better).
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2009, 10:00 PM   #28
Fireblade
Wizard Member

The F6 has no competition in the market place, the XR6T/XR8 vs SS, GT vs Clubsport and GTP vs GTS, even though the F6 has no competition neither does the Senator, or the Grange for that matter.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:50 PM   #29
Chilliman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I believe that XR8 will be given one last chance with Coyote power. If the sales haven't picked up within 12months then it will be curtains.

I recall some executive from Ford saying that they would let customer demand decide wether they kept the XR8 or not

"Torque is the new horsepower"
Chilliman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2009, 12:01 AM   #30
Chilliman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The F6 has no competition in the market place, the XR6T/XR8 vs SS, GT vs Clubsport and GTP vs GTS, even though the F6 has no competition neither does the Senator, or the Grange for that matter.
I don't know why Ford need to have a matching competitor. Seems to me Ford does best when it creates new market niche:
the Mustang
the original XR6
the XR6 turbo
the original Falcon GT

"Torque is the new horsepower"
Chilliman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post