Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-02-2022, 07:45 PM   #1
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Default Work van recommendations

So I've been in discussion with my employer with regards to upgrading our fleet of vans, he knows I'm a car guy and so I think he's looking to me to help him with the decision which I really appreciate.

We currently have a fleet of 3 Mercedes Sprinters and 5 previous gen Hiace.
The Sprinters are 2x LWB and 1x SWB, all we're purchased in the past 18 months and all 3 are absolute lemons.
1 came back from having a knock sensor replaced today and another has got a stuffed A/C compressor, all have sub 50k and whilst covered by warranty, the inconvenience is a big turn off.
The Hiaces are all well banged up and have racked up the K's, they need replacing as a minimum.

Obviously my first thought was Transit, I made the suggestion and he contacted his Dealer who informed him that they haven't seen a Transit in 3 months and aren't sure when they will, he was also concerned with the 10sp auto however I note that there is a 6A version available in LWB high roof.

He said he wouldn't even consider LDV.

He asked me if there was anything I'd like in particular, having driven both the old Hiace and the Sprinters and doing so in rural area's of high speed and many immovable objects, namely tree's, I suggested something with a bit more frontal protection as the Sprinter has.

He has a good relationship with a few Dealers and is arranging a weeks trial for me in both Staria Load and Hiace.

So the requirements are...
Must be one of the main players
Must be able to accommodate a standard pallet through the side door
Must have good payload
Preferably a bonneted style for added frontal protection

Thoughts and recommendations greatly accepted.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2022, 08:04 PM   #2
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 
Default Re: Work van recommendations

We have a current model VW Crafter as our delivery van. It's a medium wheel base with the low roof and has a twin-turbo 2.0 and 8-Speed torque converter auto.

Best van I have ever driven with plenty of power, even when stacked to the roof with product. It also doesn't seem to lurch through corners, feeling very stable.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 03-02-2022, 08:21 PM   #3
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I'm voting for the new Hiace, fits the bill and isn't European.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2022, 08:38 PM   #4
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Pity they discontinued the V6, I quite like the idea of dropping burnouts on deliveries.
Mustang GT

3 users like this post:
Old 03-02-2022, 08:39 PM   #5
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yep, me to... Company I work for has hundreds of them all over Australia and they seem to be hugely reliable and resilient. We buy them outright, run them for 5 or 6 years and 500k km odd (they are on the road consistently 5/6 days a week) and the consensus is apart from servicing and normal wear and tear stuff they are pretty well faultless. 99% are the petrol variant with only a few diesels thrown in.

Hers: 2024 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Daily: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
Big_Daz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2022, 08:44 PM   #6
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
We have a current model VW Crafter as our delivery van. It's a medium wheel base with the low roof and has a twin-turbo 2.0 and 8-Speed torque converter auto.

Best van I have ever driven with plenty of power, even when stacked to the roof with product. It also doesn't seem to lurch through corners, feeling very stable.
Hmm, interesting, I hadn't even considered VW.

As I do the country run and don't carry as much weight or volume as the metro guys, a MWB with GVM upgrade would be perfect.
Looks comfy which is important as I do anywhere from 250 to 400km a day everyday.
I'd need the bi-turbo for grunt up the hills, this also opens the door to the 4 motion option which would come in handy as I often find myself spinning the rear wheels of the Hiace's and unable to get up many steep rural gravel driveways.

I'll put this on the list and see if he has any contacts at VW.
Old 03-02-2022, 08:50 PM   #7
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Problem with the Hiace is they dropped the roof height and the side door is narrower apparently.
I haven't sized it up personally but prior to moving to Sprinters they had the Hiace in for evaluation and it didnt pass the cut.

Would probably work for what I do as payload and space isnt as critical as it is for the metro guys but I get the impression he wants to replace everything and wants to stick to one brand if possible.
Old 03-02-2022, 08:53 PM   #8
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

Hiace.. son has the new model. Finds it more comftable n car like inside that the previous one, reckons once u turn off most of the annoying voice warnings is a good place to be
His: 2012 FG II GS, Vanish
His: 2003 BA GT-P, Lightening Strike
Jnr: 2002 AU III Falcon XR6 ST, 5 speed Blueprint & 1978 XC Fairmont Neptune Blue

Previous:
1976 HX 50th Anniversary Kingswood
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon
au2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2022, 09:00 PM   #9
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Hmm, interesting, I hadn't even considered VW.

As I do the country run and don't carry as much weight or volume as the metro guys, a MWB with GVM upgrade would be perfect.
Looks comfy which is important as I do anywhere from 250 to 400km a day everyday.
I'd need the bi-turbo for grunt up the hills, this also opens the door to the 4 motion option which would come in handy as I often find myself spinning the rear wheels of the Hiace's and unable to get up many steep rural gravel driveways.

I'll put this on the list and see if he has any contacts at VW.
It's very comfortable and feels very well made.
Mustang GT

Old 03-02-2022, 09:05 PM   #10
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Has the payload increased with the new Hiace though?

Yesterday I arrived at work to see they'd loaded a 1t pallet into my van and it was on the bump stops before I even considered putting anything else in it, pointed it out to the boss when he arrived and he said no way thats leaving like that and helped me take 300kgs out.
The Sprinters eat 1t pallets behind the bulkhead and you wouldn't even know its there.
Old 03-02-2022, 09:13 PM   #11
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just buy a Hyundai Staria and be done with it

Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-02-2022, 10:15 PM   #12
Swordie

I have a friend who drives the latest diesel Hiace around over long distances. He is very happy with it. It has good tech, fuel consumption and drives well.

Here's an article comparing some models.
https://www.carsguide.com.au/tradies...iace-lwb-80531
Swordie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2022, 10:46 PM   #13
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordie View Post
I have a friend who drives the latest diesel Hiace around over long distances. He is very happy with it. It has good tech, fuel consumption and drives well.

Here's an article comparing some models.
https://www.carsguide.com.au/tradies...iace-lwb-80531
Good write up, thanks.
They all have pro's and con's with the Transit coming out on top in the areas that would suit my needs with the exception of side door access, if it cant take a standard pallet through the side door its of no value unfortunately as the freight we move on pallets must be against the bulkhead for safety reasons.
These would make great tradie vans but when it comes to moving weight on pallet sized footprints they fall over, the Hiace in particular as it cant take one side or rear loaded.
I didnt realise they we're so limited in that regard, not even worth trialing them with that in mind.
Old 03-02-2022, 10:59 PM   #14
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I'm a fan of the Sprinter, cut my teeth on those as an apprentice, comfortable to drive but all those Euro vans are ****boxes if you give them a rogering with big loads all the time.

The only benefit to the Sprinter is because of how popular they are and used by emergency services nationally, then live their second life post auction as a courier vehicle they are easy to get parts for and plenty of workshops are familiar with these big, comfy ****boxes.

I'd be inclined to go a 319 mid roof mid wheelbase, 3L V6 diesel variant, it'll deal better with loads.

Quote:
Pity they discontinued the V6, I quite like the idea of dropping burnouts on deliveries.
Same here
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2022, 11:24 PM   #15
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
I'm a fan of the Sprinter, cut my teeth on those as an apprentice, comfortable to drive but all those Euro vans are ****boxes if you give them a rogering with big loads all the time.

The only benefit to the Sprinter is because of how popular they are and used by emergency services nationally, then live their second life post auction as a courier vehicle they are easy to get parts for and plenty of workshops are familiar with these big, comfy ****boxes.

I'd be inclined to go a 319 mid roof mid wheelbase, 3L V6 diesel variant, it'll deal better with loads.

Same here
They are a great thing when they're going Franco, but keeping them on the road is the problem.
Looking at the model range it looks like we have 2 ELWB super high roof 517 models
Rear tyres are expensive
They eat brakes
A/C failed
Knock sensor failed
All with between 20-50k on them doing around 150k's a day.
Old 04-02-2022, 01:06 AM   #16
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

I don’t mind the Transit but production has just about ground to a halt across the range. You’d be lucky to see one or two this year if you ordered them today.
Like all the euro vans they also rip through their brakes. We have one aus post contractor who didn’t make its first service before the brake wear indicator light came on. He wasn’t too impressed.
Top_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2022, 08:10 AM   #17
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Problem with the Hiace is they dropped the roof height and the side door is narrower apparently.
I haven't sized it up personally but prior to moving to Sprinters they had the Hiace in for evaluation and it didnt pass the cut.

Would probably work for what I do as payload and space isnt as critical as it is for the metro guys but I get the impression he wants to replace everything and wants to stick to one brand if possible.
Height is the same, it's only length that has reduced.
It's about 30cm shorter in the back, but nearly that much wider.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2022, 09:20 AM   #18
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Go old school!

This example has the extra frontal protection

Sure there will be compromise, but 351 Clevo option!

Old 04-02-2022, 11:15 AM   #19
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Having Sprinters mean I guess you don't need low roof height of the Transit Custom/Vito/Transporter etc...

I think your choices are:
Iveco Daily
Fiat Ducato
Ford Transit
LDV
Mercedes-Benz Sprinter
Peugeot Boxer
Renault Master
Toyota Hiace SLWB
Volkswagen Crafter

All the above come with rear wing doors and the Renault may still have a semi-automated manual..and that's what it is,...not a fan...and if you drive one try reversing uphill with a heavy load.

I think your biggest issue apart from fitting a non-negotiable need to fit a 116mm wide pallet through the side door is actual stock available or wait times.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2022, 11:22 AM   #20
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

Renault... any van... run.....
3 at work.. constantly have at least 1 off the road at a time.. worst moment we had all 3 off the road with no eta for repairs.. hard to borrow vans from other areas to cover our shortfall.
parts availability non existent and unreliable.. worst bit.. ours are low k vehicles
My work is currently looking at sprinter cab chasis set up with a manufactured interchangeable pod for the rear moving forward.
His: 2012 FG II GS, Vanish
His: 2003 BA GT-P, Lightening Strike
Jnr: 2002 AU III Falcon XR6 ST, 5 speed Blueprint & 1978 XC Fairmont Neptune Blue

Previous:
1976 HX 50th Anniversary Kingswood
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon
au2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2022, 11:35 AM   #21
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Doesn't look like the Hiace got the 500NM upgrade that the Hilux got on the 2.8 Diesel

That would be a deal breaker
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2022, 03:46 PM   #22
tbro4123

I must have been lucky as our Sprinters have all been really good as far as reliability and warranty goes.

Main problems we have had has been clutches with new flywheels (but the vans are a min of 3400kgs all the time & have been known to tow buses on the flat ) alternator pulleys and a/c compressors caused by the alternator pulleys seizing up and destroying the compressor clutches. My van with 500,000ks

I've found that having a good relationship with your dealer and feedback to MB in Melbourne helps, something we found wanting with the VW dealer in Vic who would just say " bring it in and we'll look at it when we get a chance to". 5 breakdowns in 12 months and it was gone, who needs a breakdown vehicle that does?

Stay safe

Terry aka Tbro
tbro4123 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2022, 04:40 PM   #23
chookaradley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We have 50 or so Mercedes Vitos. They drive around all day at or nearly at there maximum payload. They are all 22.1 4cyl diesel autos, all approx 3 years old. I have to say on the whole they have been really reliable and economical considering the weight they carry.
chookaradley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2022, 06:36 PM   #24
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Ghia View Post
I don’t mind the Transit but production has just about ground to a halt across the range. You’d be lucky to see one or two this year if you ordered them today.
Like all the euro vans they also rip through their brakes. We have one aus post contractor who didn’t make its first service before the brake wear indicator light came on. He wasn’t too impressed.
Big heavy vans with big heavy loads means heavy brake wear. Soft and dusty pads don't help either.

The Crafter's wheels are basically always black with brake dust.

This is what iron-removers were designed for.........

Trust me to inject some detailing content in a completely off topic way.
Mustang GT

Old 04-02-2022, 07:55 PM   #25
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Spoke to the boss about the Crafter this morning, he reckons they're just a Sprinter with a different badge but I dont think thats correct, they have a different driveline at a minimum.
Any thoughts on that?

Got back this afternoon to find a new Staria Load in the carpark ready for me to put it through its paces next week.
Still wont take the pallet that the metro guys require but may be suitable for what I do on my travels.
Old 04-02-2022, 08:04 PM   #26
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Spoke to the boss about the Crafter this morning, he reckons they're just a Sprinter with a different badge but I dont think thats correct, they have a different driveline at a minimum.
Any thoughts on that?

Got back this afternoon to find a new Staria Load in the carpark ready for me to put it through its paces next week.
Still wont take the pallet that the metro guys require but may be suitable for what I do on my travels.
The previous generation Sprinter and Crafter were based on the same design/platform. Current models do not share anything.
Mustang GT

Old 04-02-2022, 08:08 PM   #27
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post
Having Sprinters mean I guess you don't need low roof height of the Transit Custom/Vito/Transporter etc...

I think your choices are:
Iveco Daily
Fiat Ducato
Ford Transit
LDV
Mercedes-Benz Sprinter
Peugeot Boxer
Renault Master
Toyota Hiace SLWB
Volkswagen Crafter

All the above come with rear wing doors and the Renault may still have a semi-automated manual..and that's what it is,...not a fan...and if you drive one try reversing uphill with a heavy load.

I think your biggest issue apart from fitting a non-negotiable need to fit a 116mm wide pallet through the side door is actual stock available or wait times.
Roof height not really an issue for my needs but it is for the metro guys.

I hadn't even considered the Iveco, not a bad thing either from what I can see.

Agreed on wait times, they'd ordered a new light truck before I started in August and it still hasn't arrived.
Something to replace the Hiace that I use is probably of most urgency at the moment so that may simply come down to whats available asap, as for replacing the Sprinters, that may take more time.
Old 04-02-2022, 08:11 PM   #28
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
The previous generation Sprinter and Crafter were based on the same design/platform. Current models do not share anything.
Thats good to know, cheers, will pass that info on to him Monday.
Old 04-02-2022, 08:11 PM   #29
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Hiace. I’m no Toyota boi. But the new Hiace is good and so very ugly

I’ve driven and worked out of all the usual characters and the hiace is the one I would buy.
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2022, 08:15 PM   #30
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by au2000 View Post
Renault... any van... run.....
3 at work.. constantly have at least 1 off the road at a time.. worst moment we had all 3 off the road with no eta for repairs.. hard to borrow vans from other areas to cover our shortfall.
parts availability non existent and unreliable.. worst bit.. ours are low k vehicles
My work is currently looking at sprinter cab chasis set up with a manufactured interchangeable pod for the rear moving forward.
That was an issue for one of our Sprinters, put it in for warranty repair of knock sensor but there we're none in the country and no idea of when they could.
That was in late November/early December, finally had it fitted this week.