Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 01-12-2011, 11:12 AM   #1
nathanashton
Starter Motor

Default WS Fiesta - Temperature

Hi All,

After an opinion on the running temperature of my WS Fiesta. I understand the temperature indication is for outside air temperature but I find it a decent indication of engine temps.

In a Brisbane summer, parked at the lights the with the aircon running the temperature will usually reach a maximum of 34C, even on the hottest days. Lately, it has been reaching 38C on days that are only 25-28C. Once I start moving again it quickly drops back down to 28C or so. It counts up to 38C at a rate of 1C per minute or so.

Little bit concerned that it would be running so hot considering summer hasn't even hit yet.

Any ideas? (the coolant level is fine by the way)

Cheers

nathanashton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2011, 12:56 PM   #2
vhcbm
having Fiesta withdrawals

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Ford couldn't fix my BlueTooth issue. This member posted a download link, with instruction, on how to do it myself. One week on, the unit hasn't played up once. Three different dealers told me to virtually 'Live with it. 
Default Re: WS Fiesta - Temperature

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanashton
Hi All,

After an opinion on the running temperature of my WS Fiesta. I understand the temperature indication is for outside air temperature but I find it a decent indication of engine temps.

In a Brisbane summer, parked at the lights the with the aircon running the temperature will usually reach a maximum of 34C, even on the hottest days. Lately, it has been reaching 38C on days that are only 25-28C. Once I start moving again it quickly drops back down to 28C or so. It counts up to 38C at a rate of 1C per minute or so.

Little bit concerned that it would be running so hot considering summer hasn't even hit yet.

Any ideas? (the coolant level is fine by the way)

Cheers
The temperature of the engine is much more higher than the outside. It would be higher because your sitting idle in traffic around hot metal cars bellowing out exhaust under the hot Australian sun.

Past: 2009 Ford Fiesta LX in Vision Blue - Sold
vhcbm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2011, 10:37 PM   #3
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The temp on the dash is for the outside temp, not the engine temp, they run much higher temps than 35-40deg.

The sensor on the car will show hotter temps if your sitting stopped in traffic like vhcbm says, because there is less airflow or hotter airflow than if your cruising along.
GoesLikeAZetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2011, 02:39 PM   #4
JClarke
Deaf Driver

but if we know about the engine temp - where can we find what temp? It seems to be nowhere to tell?
Old 05-12-2011, 05:11 PM   #5
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

You need to fit an aftermarket temp gauage The Fez is European, super hot temps aren't an issue over there. In winter you can tell when the cars properly warmed up by the heater: in summer good luck. Good gauges start around $300: don't fit cheap rubbish - their readouts are useless because they are so inaccurate. I'm surprised Ford didn't fit a temp gauge.
Fiesta_Man69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2011, 06:41 PM   #6
Foobar
Irregular Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JClarke
but if we know about the engine temp - where can we find what temp? It seems to be nowhere to tell?
I've wondered the same and my best guess is that if it overheats, some sort of bingbong alarm probably goes off and a message would appear either on the ICE unit or perhaps in the dash display.

Someone, somewhere must have had one overheat at some point. Don't keep it a secret.
Foobar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2011, 07:43 PM   #7
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

There is a warning light you can see when you switch the car on: however by the time this comes on and you get a warning chime it may be too late: it's much better to see an entire gauge, that way you can see any danger a long way before it becomes critical. Again, Ford should fit a gauge, especially in hot climate markets. Guess it all comes down to $$
Fiesta_Man69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post