Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 09-01-2008, 08:18 PM   #1
CADSKY
'01 AU11 XR8 UTE

Default advice on new job??

hey guys

i am going to be looking at getting a new job soon as i am not getting enough hours at my current job and they wont put me on full time.

my question to you is what types of jobs are avaliable in the auto industry that i dont have to do an apprenticeship for?

i know doing something with cars is what i want to do but i cant afford to go back to an apprentice wage. if you guys could help me out that would be great.

CURRENT
'01 AU2 XR8 UTE - 5 SPEED MANUAL.
MUCH WORK TO DO.

PREVIOUS
'07 BF MK11 XR6 - 6 SPEED AUTO
'95 EF XR6 - 5 SPEED MANUAL

See my car HERE
CADSKY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2008, 08:20 PM   #2
Kryton

cleaning cars.
window tinting possibly.
tyre fitting.
not really much out there without doing an apprenticeship.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2008, 08:26 PM   #3
JBomb3000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

what are you currently doing? Do you have any skills that would be applicable to the auto industry?
JBomb3000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2008, 08:34 PM   #4
mattl
Live Life To Full BOOOST!

I know there are Panel Beating apprenticeships, however, at my work here in Adelaide we have 3 guys who haven't completed an Apprenticeship or any courses at TAFE and are full time Panel Beaters.

I'm not sure if this is rare/uncommon as I've never worked at any other Crash Shops, however, they just rang up, told the owner (Jason) there situation and asked for a 2 week trial. They were offered the trail and haven't looked back since. They are both currently getting paid adult wages, working full time and dragging in some good cash per week.

Maybe look and trying to do something similar? You never know you might just get lucky and pull a great job, i know the guys i work with did!!

Best of luck, and if you've got any questions about the industry don't hesitate to PM! Always willing to help out..

ps I've got a few months left before I'm fully qualified!! Yippy!
mattl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2008, 08:54 PM   #5
bawag

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Providing easy to follow photo tutorials for members on how to replace tierod ends on a Cortina. 

Hey mate,

There are quite a fiew jobs you can do with out being qualified such as what has been stated above but also you can actually become an engine, gearbox, diff, radiator etc reconditioner. Spare parts interpriter. All of these professions do not require a trade certificate, i think mostly because you are not required to work on the actual registered vehicle, just components on the vehicle.

At my last job there were about 10 engine reconditioners, dyno operators, laborers that did not have any qualifications at all.

You could just make a call to a recruitment agency and tell them your situation, it cant hurt its just a phone call.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:07 PM   #6
CADSKY
'01 AU11 XR8 UTE

thanks for the replies guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBomb3000
what are you currently doing? Do you have any skills that would be applicable to the auto industry?
nah mate i dont really have any skills in the auto industry, i currently ork for armaguard, im good at counting money lol

CURRENT
MUCH WORK TO DO.

PREVIOUS

See my car HERE
Old 09-01-2008, 10:45 PM   #7
Mongoose
Can't go around corners

Detailing, I'm currently im doing an apprenteship (as a mechanic), and most of the detailers at work are the same age (give or take 1 year) as me and they earn about $150 a week more than me and do about 10 hours less. Makes me wish i had have chosen that most of the time :(
Mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2008, 11:05 PM   #8
dom_105
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by swan_ford
thanks for the replies guys

nah mate i dont really have any skills in the auto industry, i currently ork for armaguard, im good at counting money lol
Console Operator?

lol, jk, wouldn't wish that upon anyone
dom_105 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2008, 11:07 PM   #9
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Many larger dealerships employ trade assistants whos duties can range from pre deliveries, fitting accessories, working for service departments delivering customers or vehicles, some may even allow an oil change only service to be done by a trade assistant. My advice is to search job search and career one websites.
AUXRVIII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2008, 05:27 PM   #10
xdv8
Starter Motor

i know doing something with cars is what i want to do but i cant afford to go back to an apprentice wage.

regarding this, I started my apprenticeship as a diesel mechanic being married with two kids. I did it by taking on a second job for the first year and a half delievering newspapers (boring but helped pay the bills). I made the sacrifice because I knew that was what I wanted to do and the wife understood and stood by me. I know the mines are always looking for fresh blood and the money is bloody good (can get well over 100k a year) but sucks on family life. Another area to look at is maybe in the spare parts area, or if your good with wiring and custom work, maybe stereo instulation. The only other thing that comes to mind is car sales.......
xdv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2008, 05:35 PM   #11
mattl
Live Life To Full BOOOST!

Yeh thats a great point xdv8!

Just recently here in Adelaide, only a matter of weeks ago, Auto Bahn was looking for 2 new Car Audio Installers. No experience necessary, full training provided with adult wages. My mate was lucky enough to snag one of these positions and is loving it..His making more then enough money p/w, and is doing weekend jobs for friends/family friends for a little bit of extra cash on the side!
mattl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2008, 07:00 PM   #12
CADSKY
'01 AU11 XR8 UTE

hey thanx for the help guys.
stereo instalation, now thats sounds ok, i actually have a little bit of experience with this too, my mate and i installed all our own head units, speakers, subs, amps ect.
maybe i will look into that thanks

CURRENT
MUCH WORK TO DO.

PREVIOUS

See my car HERE
Old 11-01-2008, 12:44 AM   #13
theunfairadvant

There you go always look on the bright side,