Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-10-2008, 01:40 PM   #1
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Moto GP - 2008

Went to the bikes down at the island and as usually it was fantastic (the weather on Friday was bad - but the weather on Sunday about as good as it gets for October down at the island) The racing was great especially the 250's. Anyway had three things that bugged me
1) No F-18 or RAAF jets did a fly over - ok not a major gripe but every other year an F-18 has put on a show, which is very entertaining

2) Roadworks on the way to Philip Island - for the last five years they have been doing roadworks - surely for a international event such as this, they could at least (if they haven't been able to finish the works) remove the signs and reduced speed limits etc

3) Usually the traffic management system is pretty good (considering the no. of spectators, one bridge etc) However this year it was shocking, most people simply turned their cars off (spoke to one driver who had been sitting in his car in the car park trying to get out for more than an hour - and he still had a long way to go before getting out) Why did they change the previous system - which was much more efficent (they closed the second exit from the carpark forcing all cars/bikes/trucks through one two lane exit)

A lot of people I spoke to (got to speak to a fair few whilst everyone walked around waiting for the traffic to move) said it was a brillant event but they would not be coming back next year due to the parking. The events management staff coped a hiding from a lot of frustrated drivers.

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2008, 06:09 PM   #2
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

I wouldn't consider going in a car unless i had a place to stay at the Island overnight.
Even on a bike getting out of the GP is insane.

On a brighter note,(You must have forgotten) congratulations to Casey Stoner winning another one for the Aussies.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2008, 07:20 PM   #3
Dezza
Parts bin special

Going by the review on parking, it sounds like it's a good thing I didn't make it down this year. I was at the previous couple of GPs, and it was bad enough leaving then. This year I decided to just watch it at home. It was an exciting race though. Well done to Casey, and Rossi yet again showed why he's won so many championships.

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2008, 09:29 AM   #4
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
I wouldn't consider going in a car unless i had a place to stay at the Island overnight.
Even on a bike getting out of the GP is insane.

On a brighter note,(You must have forgotten) congratulations to Casey Stoner winning another one for the Aussies.
No didnt forget, (I should have congratulated Casey - it was a great day as usual - I absolutely love it down there the atmosphere, track, racing etc)

Last few years it hasn't been that bad getting off the island (even in a car) this year was a shocker. I am surprised they changed the setup, considering previous years worked "reasonably well"

Dezza this year was a shocker, far worse than any previous year IMHO, which is a pity because it is such a great event

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2008, 04:27 PM   #5
ZC001
Cruisin

I drove down this year and stayed for the weekend. Walked to the track each day to avoid the parking problems.

Left at 10am Monday morning - still took 1 hour to get off Phillip Island.

Great weather this year (Saturday & Sunday) and great racing. Go Casey !
ZC001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2008, 05:36 PM   #6
FPVSutto
Finally got it......

I think if the only major complaint is leaving the car park then thats pretty good.

I went down there last year in a car and thought that leaving the car park at the end of the day was one of the funniest things down on the island (people setting up bbq's, great social atmosphere).

I would have been down there again this year but work got in the way, next year will be attending but probably on the bikes.
09 F6 #679 - Viper
FPVSutto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post