Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-10-2006, 12:21 AM   #1
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Complaints re NRMA inspection

Hi all, I am just wondering if anyone here has had vehicle inspection done by the NRMA and has made a complaint.

I paid $199 for vehicle inspection. I got this done for peace of mind and general safety etc. What my complaint is when I recently got my WRX serviced, the dealer said that the brake pads were near gone, and also the rotors were to worn too much to machine, so I got them replaced at a cost of about $850! I know not the best price, but the car was already there and thought it would be best to just get it done.

Am I right in believing that in this inspection, the rotors should have been measured and pads inspected? For $199 I would of thought so, especially since they insisted for a proper inspection to be carried out the wheels had to be taken off, and I would have to wait for an available time to do this.

My gripe is not that they needed to be replaced, but there were no notes in the inspection report in relation to the limited life left in the brakes. They noted the tyres though.

This would of been handy, as I reckon I could of knocked another $500 or so off the price from the owner, on top of some other things I knocked him down for.

In anyones experience do I have a case, or is it generally going to be like taking a **** in the wind trying to get a refund?

MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2006, 12:29 AM   #2
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

How many klm's have you done since the report was done?
Ring the NRMA head office and lodge a compliant, they may have another look and help you out with the brakes..

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2006, 12:41 AM   #3
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan
How many klm's have you done since the report was done?
Ring the NRMA head office and lodge a compliant, they may have another look and help you out with the brakes..
About 1700km, normal driving conditions, no track work and of course using engine braking too. The rotors have been replaced and I did not keep the old ones. If they measured the rotors (which I thought they are meant to), they should have noticed they were getting too small, as with the tyres though.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:48 AM   #4
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just re-checked the inspection report, and the inspector has passed the discs and pads as satisfactory. I still don't see how the condition can go from satisfactory to worn in about 1700kms. I can see how you could if it had a concern against it but not satisfactory.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:55 AM   #5
Livin'InThe70's
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mate, it won't hurt to try. BUT, they will probably say that brake parts are consumable.

Will
Livin'InThe70's is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2006, 06:14 AM   #6
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

Um are you sure the discs were shot??? the mechanic might have been "milking" you
Ghiadude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2006, 03:41 PM   #7
loxxr6
XB in parts...

There's a notice on the report I think which tells you the stuff they don't check.

How hard do you drive the car as well ?

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2006, 01:04 AM   #8
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by loxxr6
There's a notice on the report I think which tells you the stuff they don't check.

How hard do you drive the car as well ?
Believe me I have driven this thing very sedately. I have $400 in my bank and cannot afford any risk taking on spirited driving.

Here are snapshots from the report

http://www.fordforums.com.au/photos/...042/report.JPG

My car was at an NRMA centre in relation to first bit.

My brakes were passed as satisfactory in the middle bit.

There were no notes/concerns recorded against the brakes in the last bit.

Like I said, how do you go from satisfactory to very worn in 1700kms? Satisfactory to me is a healthy amount left on both pads and rotors, not just legal amount.

Had they recorded a concern against it, I would not have any complaint at all. I have under no circumstances applied heavy brake pressure since owning this car.
Old 08-10-2006, 02:54 AM   #9
loxxr6
XB in parts...

I'm guessing by the wording in the inspection that they did their report and signed off the brakes as being ok coz the car stopped fine at the time.

If you look at the report it says they don't remove parts (eg take of the wheels) for a closer look at the pads and rotors unless it's done at an inspection station.

Who knows what interpretation they have for "satisfactory" brakes ?

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2006, 02:57 AM   #10
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by loxxr6
I'm guessing by the wording in the inspection that they did their report and signed off the brakes as being ok coz the car stopped fine at the time.

If you look at the report it says they don't remove parts (eg take of the wheels) for a closer look at the pads and rotors unless it's done at an inspection station.

Who knows what interpretation they have for "satisfactory" brakes ?
It was done at an NRMA inspection station as I insisted on having the full check done.

As for the interpretation for "satisfactory" that is a good point too. I would post the whole report up but it is a PDF file.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:31 AM   #11
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've made a complaint in the past. The car had rust and accident damage that the inspector missed, and I purchased the car over another on the "good" condition of the vehicle as mentioned in the report.

I found it was difficult/pointless dealing with them on the phone and at the counter. The only way I got some resolution was through one of the elected directors, and bringing the matter to their attention.
rag top is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2006, 11:28 AM   #12
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How do you know the mechanic didn't BS about your brakes to get money from ya?
Pieoter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2006, 06:41 PM   #13
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well I'd thought I'd update this thread. I sent an email to NRMA and got a call today. The person was very helpful and sounded very serious about helping me out. He explained things at length which was good. Basically he asked whether I had any evidence which I don't, so it's looking more likely I got screwed by the dealer.

He said all the measurements would of been taken and if there were any concerns they would of been listed as brakes were particularly a safety device.

When I mentioned that rotors surely couldn't wear that much in on a 3yr old car, he said that it could be due to where the parts were actually made and the rep for quality, both things I do not know about Subaru and he even made reference to his own experience. He did not talk like it was all about business, it was more like a chat as such.

Also if I had the parts or any documented evidence he would be more than happy to investigate it for me.

The person I spoke to was very pleasant and if more people were like this it would be a much easier dealing with anything to do with cars.

I'm going to try and ring Subaru and see if they have any internal record which I can use, but if they screwed me then I doubt they would.

I'm just going to put it down to bad experience and leave it at that. The car is safe and I can still drive it. I know the rotors are new for a fact as my old ones had silver paint on the hubs and now they don't.
Old 12-10-2006, 06:50 PM   #14
cArSiK
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Every time my car has gone in for service at Ford , I have recieved a call telling me pads are low - when in my visual inspection there is still plenty of meat on the pad.

I dont believe dealers are out to rip people off , however they have a duty of care to make sure the breaks will be sufficient and last until the next scheduled service in 15,000kms time.

james
cArSiK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2006, 07:14 PM   #15
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah the problem with knowing if things are wrong or not is I don't have much knowledge on such things which is why I paid for someone to do it. I could not tell the brakes were in a bad way until they were replaced, and it did brake a helluva lot better.

Whether this was because they were new or the old ones were really worn like Subaru said, I do not know.

Either way it was good to hear back from a person who actually cared about their clients. Credit where credit is due. I will definately send back an email commenting on how good that particular person's service was.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:20 PM   #16
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cArSiK
Every time my car has gone in for service at Ford , I have recieved a call telling me pads are low - when in my visual inspection there is still plenty of meat on the pad.

I dont believe dealers are out to rip people off , however they have a duty of care to make sure the breaks will be sufficient and last until the next scheduled service in 15,000kms time.

james
I had Ford do that when I used to use Ford service. They even called me to replace a set of leads I'd put on the day before the service. Can't have non-gen leads. BS! I wouldn't trust the dealer I bought my EL from. Very untrustworthy. Car used to breakdown all the time too. Ever since I've been servicing it. I've not had a single breakdown ;) All I do is check the usuals, change the oil and filters. Nothing major. I used to get my EL serviced 3-4 times per year too.

On mccr.com there was a vehicle inspected that no longer worked after the RACV fiddled.

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2006, 07:46 PM   #17
Barry_v
rocknrolla

Quote:
WRX's are very cheap to mod.
but apparently not to fix :hihi:

ok look at it from the mechanics point of view. he looks at the pads - they're not metal to metal, but they may not make another 10-15k. this is the first time you've been there, they dont know your service pattern or how you drive the car. they dont take any chances and decide pads need replacement. good practice is to machine the rotors when you replace pads. they pull out the micrometer and although it is still legal thickness it probably wont be once they machine it. so they then inform you that you need new pads and rotors.

I doubt the nrma guy would have skipped checking the rotors, he just made the call that they were within specification (which they probably were).
Barry_v is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2006, 07:55 PM   #18
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry_v
but apparently not to fix :hihi:

ok look at it from the mechanics point of view. he looks at the pads - they're not metal to metal, but they may not make another 10-15k. this is the first time you've been there, they dont know your service pattern or how you drive the car. they dont take any chances and decide pads need replacement. good practice is to machine the rotors when you replace pads. they pull out the micrometer and although it is still legal thickness it probably wont be once they machine it. so they then inform you that you need new pads and rotors.

I doubt the nrma guy would have skipped checking the rotors, he just made the call that they were within specification (which they probably were).
Well I'm learning this now lol :P If my pay hadn't been cut in 1/2 I would be laughing but that unforeseen circumstance has well and truly caught me off guard. It was worth a try, nothing lost.

But every time I start her up and listen to the boxer burble, I'm rewarded. The other upside is that I'm not in any debt and doing OK.

I would not be suprised though if I had to sell it though in the next year, but am trying to only do that as a last resort. Very lucky I paid cash for everything rather than a loan as I would be well and truly screwed by now. We will have to see where things go.