Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 24-08-2007, 02:21 AM   #1
daz_

Default AU Drivability comparison to Commodore

Sorry to bring this one up, but I'm curious if this vehicle is running right or not... (Hopefully this won't bring up any Holden V Ford debates as I hate to say I'm completely neutral on that front!)

I just picked up a 2001 AU XL I6 Auto and I'm comparing it to a VY Commodore Sedan I used to own V6 Auto

At 100/110 with the AU I find that I need to dip into the accelerator a fair bit to maintain speeds just sort of gives me the impression its struggling at the revs its pulling on the highway, whereas the VY I used to have would just glide on the highway with little or no throttle difference required if you came to a bit of a rise

Accelerating say onto an onramp I find that the car gets to 60 pretty quick but with the foot in the same spot on the accelerator it sort of struggles to bridge the gap to 100 from 80

Just in general it seems like I need to use a lot of the accelerator peddle and I guess I'm just sort of generally left with the feeling that the engine is working really hard to get the car up to speed - where as with the commodore it seemed quite effortless

Now I know I'm comparing a Ute to a sedan and the sedan is a few years newer but I guess my assumption was that all the V6's with similar power outputs, I just sort of assumed to expect a similar drive between the two so I'm just wondering if anyone else out there had experience going between AU's and VT/VX/VY commodores or is there some underlying issues with this AU that I should get looked at?

Last edited by daz_; 24-08-2007 at 02:27 AM.
daz_ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2007, 02:38 AM   #2
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

The AU auto is geared for maximum economy and emissions. In addition, the AU is pretty lazy under 2,000 rpm. If you drive it in power mode, it will be better, revving out a little more before shifting and will kick down earlier.

Cheers,

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2007, 02:52 AM   #3
daz_

Is there any technical data on the economy difference between economy mode and normal mode?

Will it still go into lean cruise in normal mode?
Old 24-08-2007, 08:29 AM   #4
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And the difference between V6 Commodores and I6 Falcons is one of the things which makes the local car industry interesting .. just like the difference between the DOHC V8 and the OHV V8. Gives us something tangible to compare and argue about!! .. better than most of other makes/models with FWD, transverse engines, I4/V6 that all look the same on paper and in the flesh ..
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2007, 08:57 AM   #5
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by daz_
Is there any technical data on the economy difference between economy mode and normal mode?
Probably, but I wouldn't know where!

Quote:
Will it still go into lean cruise in normal mode?
Of course. It just changes up later.

The AU auto is programmed to go into lock out in 3rd, then go out of lock out, go into 4th and lock out again. All in the name of economy and emissions.

There will be no difference in engine speed on the highway sitting on 100 or such. It's just that in power mode, the gears have been held longer giving more acceleration. In econ mode, the car steadily creeps up to speed.

When overtaking, in power mode, it will kick down quick, in econ mode you're really got to jab the pedal. Personally, I just pull it into 3rd!

Hope that helps.

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 24-08-2007, 08:57 AM   #6
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

The AU does feel a little flat.

I guess you need to compare a Vy with a BA/BF ... then you will notice that the VY is the flatter feeling vehicle.

Also the AU (being an XL ute that has most likely been worked and is a little tired ... will definitely feel flat.

I drove a friends' VT not too long ago ... and it felt like it has less power than my factory LPG AUII XLS ute. It felt really aweful ... and handled worse than a bowl of jelly as well. I felt sea sick after i got out of it ... it flet dangerous to drive actually.

So really ... it comes down to the age of the vehicle really ... and how they feel to drive after milage has been put on it.

The difference between ECON and Normal mode is that ECON mode shifts up early at lower revs ... and holds a higher gear when decellerating.

But when it comes to freeway work in my LPG ute ... I use cruise ... so i don't notice any labouring ... and there's no hunting of gears either ... not bad for a 6 year old vehicle.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2007, 09:15 AM   #7
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You are comparing a commodore which is a couple of years younger, with the AU so the commodore will seem to be the better car. I don't think Au's struggle on the highway, at 110 my car is only hitting around 1800rpm-1900rpm. That’s basically idling. You'll also find the VY's idle higher on the highway and chew more fuel, but they might be better around town. And yeah, if you want to gain speed in a hurry, the accelerator needs to be used, nothing new same in all cars. If its laziness of the right foot from the 80 - 100 knock it back a gear by hand
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2007, 10:36 AM   #8
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Yeah, my AU doesn't seem to have any issues on highways at all.

I've driven my friend's VX which is apparently built around the same time as my car and I much prefer the AU over the commodore in comfort & drivability, the AU seems to feel more "alive" if that makes sense.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2007, 10:58 AM   #9
daz_

Well thanks for the responses and thanks for subduing my fears a bit!

Notice though I did mention that I realized it wasn't a fair comparison in the first place, I just wanted to know if that is how it should be or if there was something slightly amiss
Old 24-08-2007, 11:14 AM   #10
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

in economy the torque converter rules supreme, just means you have to apply extra pressure on the throttle to get it to unlock, chuck her in power and all will be revealed.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2007, 12:21 PM   #11
Grechie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I know im comparing an 8 to a 6, but when my brothers AU XR8 (XChaser, no difference I know) was automatic, and in power mode, you'd nip the throttle, and the thing would go back a gear and be on its way, unbelieble throttle response and power!
Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 - 255/35/19 - 275/35/19
Shockworks Coilovers
PITLANE AUTOMOTIVE & PERFORMANCE
Grechie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2007, 12:23 PM   #12
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I personnally think the econ/power button is a crock of crap. I've driven around and taken notes as to the shift points in both modes and there apears to be absoloutly no diff at all. The only thing that seems to effect the shift habbits is my right foot.
Old 24-08-2007, 12:26 PM   #13
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

There is a difference ... not much when cruising around quietly though. But it is noticeable in my ute ... I find "NORM" just holds onto lower gears a little longer ... and takes less for it to kick down (slight touch of the throttle).

Right foot does make the difference though between ECON and NORM.

Towing is a massive differrence ... I don't use ECON at all ... much safer and easier on the driveline as it doesn't upshift so quick.
Old 24-08-2007, 12:35 PM   #14
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well my car apears to only adjust the shifting to the way I drive it. No diff at all when in econ or power mode.
Old 24-08-2007, 01:01 PM   #15
daz_

New question!

I loaded up the Dash diagnostics mode (I can't believe it actually worked!) and it tells me that I have "0" oil pressure

This is kinda bad right?
Old 24-08-2007, 01:26 PM   #16
T3man
Banned

Yeah, that sounds bad ... 'bout as bad as owning a Holden ... at least then I s'pose you'd expect it
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2007, 01:31 PM   #17
daz_

There's some mention of bad earths with the oil pressure sender I'm guessing its just that?
Old 24-08-2007, 01:31 PM   #18
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

I think the Commodore is more fun around town and the Falcon is more fun on the open road.

This is actually a compliment to the AU as the problem is that around town the AU is frustrating as it always feels like it wants to go faster as you barely touch the throttle and then your breaking the speed limit and have to be on the brake again.

The VT/VX seems to have shorter gearing (mush like rice cars) which means your always planting your foot and revving it out without the consequence of doing 120 kays in town.

My missuses mum who owns a VT drove my Fairmont for the first time and it was funny as hell. Used to driving a Commodore she planted it and subsequently smoked it down the road should have seen her face.

The tall gearing is warranted on the AU though, my Fairmont with five people and a boot full of crap gets off the line neck to neck with a ricer bwith one person but by 70 kays the ricer is beginning to fade.
sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2007, 01:31 PM   #19
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Quote:
New question!

I loaded up the Dash diagnostics mode (I can't believe it actually worked!) and it tells me that I have "0" oil pressure

This is kinda bad right?
Nope ... in the lower spec models the diagnostic is either 1 or 0 ... zero means OK and within range ... 1 triggers the oil warning light.

AUI had a proper Oil pressure gauge and I am sure the dash diagnostic showed the actual pressure as well.

Seeing as your's is an XL (it shows the same as my XLS) ... you will have an oil pressure switch (on/off - for the warning light) compared to the oil pressure senders on the XRs and above (this is variable to run the gauge).
Old 24-08-2007, 07:59 PM   #20
daz_

Oh good that means I do actually have an AU2?

I'm not entirely sure on the model I haven't bothered to have a look at the Vin plate its a 12/2000 model I believes

And thanks very much for your response
Old 24-08-2007, 08:09 PM   #21
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockoau
well my car apears to only adjust the shifting to the way I drive it. No diff at all when in econ or power mode.
Then something is amiss!

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 24-08-2007, 08:11 PM   #22
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah id say the same as GK the AU motor is pretty lazy around the 2ooo rev mark up around 3-4-5k mark it wants to up and go...with just a tap of the accelerator

i do know that what you said about the AU was exactly the same as what i saw by driving a VT commodorre... got to the end of the block and returned the car (was a holden fan back then).. got the AU and well it was red and manual and alot more comfy and drove alot smoother....lets just say after i took the keys i didnt get out of it for a long time

only thing i do notice about the utes..expecially the tray backs is they seem alittle too light for the back...whether its the leaf suspension or what but it freaks me out florring a ute and having the back shake from side to side

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2007, 09:12 PM   #23
Mark One
A humorous statement

As a side note to compare
AU Falcon: 157kW @ 4900rpm
357Nm @ 3000rpm

VY Commodore: 152kW @ 5200rpm
310Nm @ 3500rpm

I know theres alot of other factors, but its not the engine letting it down atleast.

S

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
not using the search button makes the baby jesus cry.
Mark One is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2007, 09:44 PM   #24
Dark Horse
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Vin plate its a 12/2000 model I believes
It's AUII.
Old 24-08-2007, 11:04 PM   #25
waggaclint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

start towing something and youl notice abig difference between a comm and a falcon the ford will hose it in power and ecconomy the v6 stuggles when ya load it up but the straight ford 6 just luvs it.....and holdens are all crap anyway....they are just flash daewoos....
waggaclint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2007, 11:29 PM   #26
ef_classic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by waggaclint
.....and holdens are all crap anyway....they are just flash daewoos....
Quote of the Millenium.
ef_classic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2007, 11:53 PM   #27
Mark One
A humorous statement

Quote:
Originally Posted by waggaclint
.....and holdens are all crap anyway....they are just flash daewoos....
Meanie :(

S

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
not using the search button makes the baby jesus cry.
Mark One is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2007, 01:38 PM   #28
SVR73
Mr Polish

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
Probably, but I wouldn't know where!

Of course. It just changes up later.

The AU auto is programmed to go into lock out in 3rd, then go out of lock out, go into 4th and lock out again. All in the name of economy and emissions.

There will be no difference in engine speed on the highway sitting on 100 or such. It's just that in power mode, the gears have been held longer giving more acceleration. In econ mode, the car steadily creeps up to speed.

When overtaking, in power mode, it will kick down quick, in econ mode you're really got to jab the pedal. Personally, I just pull it into 3rd!

Hope that helps.

GK
That's strange. My XR never kicks down when overtaking in power mode at any time, it just goes immediately

Cruise control also helps