Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-01-2016, 12:50 PM   #1
chookaradley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default What to buy next???

Apologies to mods if this has been done, but what do people see as a viable alternative when it comes time to replace their Falcons, particularly the performance versions??.

Ive currently got a 300 SRT8 and love it, but there is no hiding its sheer bulk/weight. If looking for something with a performance edge but large enough to take the family on holidays in comfort options seem to be very limited post 2017. For me something like a performance Mondeo/ Mazda 6 would be the kinda thing id be after

Other peoples thoughts??
chookaradley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2016, 01:32 PM   #2
amiers
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: What to buy next???

mine will be a c63 Merc
Old 01-01-2016, 01:40 PM   #3
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by chookaradley View Post
Apologies to mods if this has been done, but what do people see as a viable alternative when it comes time to replace their Falcons, particularly the performance versions??.

Ive currently got a 300 SRT8 and love it, but there is no hiding its sheer bulk/weight. If looking for something with a performance edge but large enough to take the family on holidays in comfort options seem to be very limited post 2017. For me something like a performance Mondeo/ Mazda 6 would be the kinda thing id be after

Other peoples thoughts??
They did a Mazda 6 MPS with a part time AWD system in 2005 for a few years but they soon discontinued it.

There is nothing really in XR6T/XR8/SS price range other than hot hatches.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2016, 01:59 PM   #4
sr71

Jaguar XF seems similar in looks, and with next generation tech.
Bit of a dilemma isn't it?
sr71 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2016, 02:03 PM   #5
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

BMW 530d

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2016, 02:05 PM   #6
Mark^^
Two-Spirits

Range Rover SVR, has a 5.0-litre all-aluminium supercharged V8 pinched from the F-Type R, offering up 40bhp. Costs several arms and legs at $242K but its fast and powerful so covers the performance edge and its large enough to take the family on holidays in comfort.
Mark^^ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2016, 04:05 PM   #7
chookaradley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What is there in the 50k range of a xr or ss?. Massive hole in the market coming I think.
chookaradley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 01-01-2016, 04:22 PM   #8
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
What is there in the 50k range of a xr or ss?. Massive hole in the market coming I think.
Yeah, massive jump from xr8 to C63.

Not much for a V8 fan if you don't have a spare 150-180k to blow on a car.

I think most will just have a new family car with an "old" v8 falcon or commodore in the garage for weekends.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2016, 04:52 PM   #9
XYB00F

If people are prepared to spend $80k - $100k on a new FPV or HSV they should look at the alternative of a low K's 2-3 year old performance Euro. Plenty of choice, after owning a HSV and an FPV I opted for a 2 year old VW Touareg V10 twin turbo diesel and it was the best car I've ever owned, a fantastic combination of performance and economy ( low9's per 100k's highway ), these days I have a BMW X6M, it's faster than the VW but not as smooth or comfortable. If its a sedan your after I'd look at BMW M5 or Merc C63. I recently saw a BMW 640i 3-4 years old with under 50,000k's sell on GraysOnline for sub HSV money and it's a $200K++ car. My experience with Holden's and Fords as a daily drive is that they are loose and shagged at 120,000k's where Euros will be strong and tight at 200,000k+
XYB00F is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2016, 04:52 PM   #10
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No brainer for me 335I/535i or x5 with the turbo donk.

Easily get 450-500 hp with a tune and intake and down pipe mods I'm seriously considering a older 5 series with the bmw I6T awesome engine and you can buy all the upgrades online from the states or UK and still works out cheaper than local tuners then just have the ECU flashed and your done.
Boza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 01-01-2016, 04:59 PM   #11
XYB00F

One to watch out for is the V8 twin turbo VW Touareg R, they were faster and more economical than the V10 and circa $120k new, so should hit the market at 2-3 years old at reasonable prices.
VW Touareg V8 TDI R-Line
Price: from $112,990
Warranty: 3 years / unlimited km
Engine: 4.1-litre V8 turbo-diesel 250 kW/800Nm
Transmission: 8-speed automatic, AWD
Acceleration: 0-100 km/h: 5.8 sec
Maximum: speed: 242 km/h
Thirst: 9.2 L/100km, CO2 242 g/km
Old 01-01-2016, 05:48 PM   #12
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by XYB00F View Post
If people are prepared to spend $80k - $100k on a new FPV or HSV they should look at the alternative of a low K's 2-3 year old performance Euro. Plenty of choice, after owning a HSV and an FPV I opted for a 2 year old VW Touareg V10 twin turbo diesel and it was the best car I've ever owned, a fantastic combination of performance and economy ( low9's per 100k's highway ), these days I have a BMW X6M, it's faster than the VW but not as smooth or comfortable. If its a sedan your after I'd look at BMW M5 or Merc C63. I recently saw a BMW 640i 3-4 years old with under 50,000k's sell on GraysOnline for sub HSV money and it's a $200K++ car. My experience with Holden's and Fords as a daily drive is that they are loose and shagged at 120,000k's where Euros will be strong and tight at 200,000k+
Just have it in the back of your mind about the parts and repair costs associated with Euro cars when they are out of their warranty period.

I own my own automotive electrical business so I come across this on a daily basis, not only can they be a royal PITFA to work on but the parts prices are much more expensive than their local or Jap/Korean counterparts.

So much so we've had a lot of issues with customers with VWs over parts prices, to the level that we won't work on them anymore, if someone with a VW comes to my workshop, I'll only do the basics or if its a good customer of mine we will do it for them.

If you come in off the street expecting us to work on your VW, go somewhere else we won't touch it because its not worth the fighting with customers over prices for parts.

There are three mechanical workshops in town who won't touch Euros for more than the basics either for this reason.
7 users like this post:
Old 01-01-2016, 06:20 PM   #13
XYB00F

Euro's can be expensive to work on, but these days so is everything. If you buy within manufacturers warranty period you can get an extended manufacturers warranty dirt cheap (3 years unlimited extended factory warranty on my V10 Touareg was $1800 ), having said that I drove it to 190,000K's and the only thing that went wrong was a battery and a door handle lock, the lock replaced under warranty. Compared to my BA GT purchased new, diff shat itself at 45,000 and gearbox at 90,000. So far BMW X6M has been hassle free it's now 5yo with 100,000. My recommendation would be buy under 3yo and get extended warranty, low k's say sub 50,000 and you will get value for money.
Old 01-01-2016, 06:47 PM   #14
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valid points Craig, going Euro is really the only choice for performance V8s in a few years...or old facon or commo

Age will depend on budget....break downs may be costly if out of warranty, but as you say so is a new diff or milkshaked ZF in an FPV.

I think a few including me wil probably go small euro, like S3 or S4, rs3, cla45 come to mind 5 second 0-100 and will likely out handle any big sedan....WRX also good option if on a tighter budget.
Old 01-01-2016, 09:01 PM   #15
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Sticking with the OP's request for suggestions for a performance orientated new car for under $50,000 or there about -

Skoda Octavia vRS - available in both sedan/hatch or wagon, family friendly size.

Holden Insignia VXR (or Commodore equivalent replacement after 2017) - again family friendly size but with twin turbo 6.

Subaru WRX / STi - smaller but hardly cramped with a proven performance package.

Ford Mondeo - as big as a Falcon and decently powerful with the higher powered Ecoboost petrol (and certainly faster than similar priced Passat/Mazda 6/Camry ect)

Chrysler 300C

Granted none of those are going to have the same performance credentials of a XR or SS but that's what the Aussie performance buyer is going to have to deal with in the not too distant future.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-01-2016, 09:08 PM   #16
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

Quote:
Apologies to mods if this has been done, but what do people see as a viable alternative when it comes time to replace their Falcons
im sorry
you lost me after the words 'replace' and 'falcon'
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 01-01-2016, 09:17 PM   #17
Sioso
irregular member

Still a good possibility of getting the Dodge Charger Hellcat and also Cadillac's may make their way over.
I'd love a CTS V sedan.
Sioso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-01-2016, 09:28 PM   #18
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
Just have it in the back of your mind about the parts and repair costs associated with Euro cars when they are out of their warranty period.

I own my own automotive electrical business so I come across this on a daily basis, not only can they be a royal PITFA to work on but the parts prices are much more expensive than their local or Jap/Korean counterparts.

So much so we've had a lot of issues with customers with VWs over parts prices, to the level that we won't work on them anymore, if someone with a VW comes to my workshop, I'll only do the basics or if its a good customer of mine we will do it for them.

If you come in off the street expecting us to work on your VW, go somewhere else we won't touch it because its not worth the fighting with customers over prices for parts.

There are three mechanical workshops in town who won't touch Euros for more than the basics either for this reason.
When the local manufacturing shuts down there will be more cars from overseas, your business will suffer in the long term with that attitude.
Itsme is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2016, 09:38 PM   #19
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mitsubishi has dumped the use of the name Challenger.
Does this finally open the doors for the Dodge Charger and Challenger?
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2016, 09:50 PM   #20
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post
When the local manufacturing shuts down there will be more cars from overseas, your business will suffer in the long term with that attitude.
We don't just work on cars, we do agricultural, earth moving and heavy vehicles as well.

Its not so much foreign cars, we do work on Jap/Korean stuff but mainly avoid Euros.
Old 01-01-2016, 11:27 PM   #21
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Other peoples thoughts??
Just moved from my BA to a Mazda6, 2010 model, very very happy with it, 2.5, very economical, roomy and a bit of punch, heaps of torque (for a 4 cylinder anyway).
Was looking at turbo diesel Mondeo or a Toyota Aurion, nearly went Aurion but needed a car ASAP and couldn't find one in my price range and the Mazda popped up. Then of course a week later a really nice top of the range Aurion surfaced, thems the breaks.
Old 01-01-2016, 11:48 PM   #22
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee View Post
Just moved from my BA to a Mazda6, 2010 model, very very happy with it, 2.5, very economical, roomy and a bit of punch, heaps of torque (for a 4 cylinder anyway).
Was looking at turbo diesel Mondeo or a Toyota Aurion, nearly went Aurion but needed a car ASAP and couldn't find one in my price range and the Mazda popped up. Then of course a week later a really nice top of the range Aurion surfaced, thems the breaks.
I've done a lot of driving in a zetec diesel mondeo, very easy car to live with and a great replacement for a falcon as a family car / daily. Not performance car though but just a damn good car.
3 users like this post:
Old 02-01-2016, 02:39 PM   #23
gossy
CLEVO POWERED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee View Post
Was looking at turbo diesel Mondeo or a Toyota Aurion, nearly went Aurion but was intimidated by the awesome power of the Aurion as one of our highly esteemed fellow members pointed out time and time again.

Fixed
gossy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 02-01-2016, 03:02 PM   #24
Angeldust

the new m2 is quite attractive at $89K. The mustang will also be a contender. Mind you these are still expensive. For example for me, on my 80K a year salary buying any car over $40-45K is crazy.

Z series Clubsport HRT edition..
e46 320ci 2.2ltr Stocko
Angeldust is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2016, 03:19 PM   #25
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

What about buying an existing Falcon for reasonable cheap (depending on vintage) as they aren't expensive. Then spending the money to get the driveline fully rebuilt, body fully restored, detail the interior or detriment and whammo, you have a brand new Falcon ready for another life on the roads.
Why not? Still cheaper than buyin something new, simpler than the latest cars and you will have a safe and reliable great handling car.

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 02-01-2016, 03:29 PM   #26
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XYB00F View Post
Euro's can be expensive to work on, but these days so is everything. If you buy within manufacturers warranty period you can get an extended manufacturers warranty dirt cheap (3 years unlimited extended factory warranty on my V10 Touareg was $1800 ), having said that I drove it to 190,000K's and the only thing that went wrong was a battery and a door handle lock, the lock replaced under warranty. Compared to my BA GT purchased new, diff shat itself at 45,000 and gearbox at 90,000. So far BMW X6M has been hassle free it's now 5yo with 100,000. My recommendation would be buy under 3yo and get extended warranty, low k's say sub 50,000 and you will get value for money.
Funny you say that, I was speaking to a guy about his V10 Touareg a few years ago and asked him what it was like. He said it was great, apart from the $30k+ he's had to spend on it.
Turbos, transmission, brakes, diff and a bunch of rims (He had to put 18s on it as the 19s kept breaking due to pot holes)
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2016, 03:38 PM   #27
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If they bring out a Mondeo ST it could be worth a look, but I doubt we'll see a 6 or an 8 again.

+1 for the Octavia too. They are quite a nice car!
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2016, 03:42 PM   #28
XYB00F

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin View Post
Funny you say that, I was speaking to a guy about his V10 Touareg a few years ago and asked him what it was like. He said it was great, apart from the $30k+ he's had to spend on it.
Turbos, transmission, brakes, diff and a bunch of rims (He had to put 18s on it as the 19s kept breaking due to pot holes)
I'd be interested to hear what model? If 19" rims standard maybe an R50, I never had a single issue with diffs ( pretty sure Touareg had 6 ) or gearbox, brakes were admittedly a bit expensive, I used to get about 55000k's form brakes and they cost about $1800 at my mechanics. The 2004's had turbo issues but a recall replaced all turbos.
I don't recall any publicity about gearbox or diff issues, I'd buy another Touareg tomorrow.
Old 17-01-2016, 12:19 PM   #29
blakef6
Banned

WRX. 4 doors, boot space, quick, AWD handling second to none, can still take the family and good on petrol
blakef6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-01-2016, 12:32 PM   #30
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakef6 View Post
WRX. 4 doors, boot space, quick, AWD handling second to none, can still take the family and good on petrol
The small cars are getting bigger and bigger. I can see no problem in a WRX doing family duties if you've managed in a falcon thus far, or your kids a 6ft Gorillas. (speaking personally that is)
2 users like this post: