Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-11-2015, 01:32 AM   #1
qdda5

Default So I bought a Jeep......

Seems a thread going around currently seems to be bagging the Jeep.
This is what I know so far. I bought a Jeep Grand Cherokee 2015 Laredo petrol new 6 months ago.
Love the look, the ride, and how comfortable the ride is. Plenty of power as well.
Sits on the road nicely and also when pushed a little.
Opted to get leather as I didn't like the cloth trim .
Interior is nicely appointed with a few bells and whistles that are nice to have.
Bought a nice set of concave 20s to give a nicer look as the standard rims are a little boring.
Sits on a 10.8 for mixed driving so happy with that as well.
No issues so far.

So before you start another bagging the Jeep thread, how about backing the detail up.
If you have bought a new series Jeep, how is it going for you??
If you have or had an older Jeep I don't really care. Just want to hear from the new series model Jeep drivers to see if the new model is up to scratch as such..
So bring it on.
Again..... I don't want to hear about the older models. That issue has been done to death. I want to see if Jeep have lifted there game.
This is for Jeep drivers only.....
Yes I know its a Ford Forum and I have been Blue blooded for a long time now. But times have changed for a lot of us and would like to know what you think.
qdda5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-11-2015, 02:00 AM   #2
zilo
BANNED

Default Re: So I bought a Jeep......

Popcorn in left hand, beer in right.

This will be fun.
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-11-2015, 02:13 AM   #3
qdda5

I'm hearing you. lol
Old 20-11-2015, 05:27 AM   #4
LyleXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Heard lots of horror stories, I know to peeps with grand Cherokees, one Laredo one limited, haven't had a drama at all, fuel economy is amazing, and the V6 diesel is bloody quick,
LyleXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2015, 06:47 AM   #5
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

But that can't be right! My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who heard that Jeeps were unreliable!
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2015, 07:51 AM   #6
BDA074

You will probably get more feedback about a Jeep on a Jeep forum...
Old 20-11-2015, 08:15 AM   #7
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I know a couple of guys with the later jeeps. No problems at all.

Great cars, and excellent value in Australia.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 20-11-2015, 08:32 AM   #8
OLD BALDY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

With all the advertising for Jeep do I don't see a lot on the road!! ( East subs Melb)
OLD BALDY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2015, 09:47 AM   #9
qdda5

Smile Re: So I bought a Jeep......

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDA074 View Post
You will probably get more feedback about a Jeep on a Jeep forum...
Probably would. But I have been a member of this forum for many years and value the feedback from this forum not a jeep forum.
Old 20-11-2015, 09:47 AM   #10
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A cousin has the same model as you and it's been great!
The only problem they've had is nothing to do with Jeep - got caught in one of Brisbane's hail storms and suffered badly. They got it back about 2 months ago and it is still perfect.
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2015, 10:41 AM   #11
DK30RB

I have three clients with current model jeeps.. All have had major issues.

Srt with failed auto headlight levelling system - new lights $6k each. Failed adjustable suspension, wiring was pinched somewhere and it required complete new shocks as system is sold as a complete unit with wiring $$$$$$.

Overland - randomly refuses to start - towed a number of times.

Another Laredo - Sold after 2 years as wasn't interested in being anywhere near it after warranty expires, countless small problems...

Other than OP's story i have yet to hear from anyone with a Jeep that hasn't had problems....

Having said that, i agree there will be good ones and bad ones out there just like any other brand.

I did look at buying an SRT new from a dealer that also sells other brands. I have a long standing relationship with the dealer and have purchased many cars from him. He knows reliability is very high on my list of requirements for a vehicle. Told me the Jeep was their worst performing brand when it comes to reliability and suggested i get something else.

I've ordered a new 2016 Landcruiser Sahara instead.
DK30RB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 20-11-2015, 11:26 AM   #12
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was very close to purchasing a JGC Limited. but opted for the Territory because of price.
saying that the extra feature on the jeep were would have been worth it, just out of my range.

I see heaps on the road Melb SE,

^^ you must expect expensive parts on an SRT, they should cost closer to 200K with all the features they have. and $$$ sounds like insurance claim pricing.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2015, 01:18 PM   #13
rst2000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by qdda5 View Post
Probably would. But I have been a member of this forum for many years and value the feedback from this forum not a jeep forum.

qdda5 writes:
If you have bought a new series Jeep, how is it going for you??
If you have or had an older Jeep I don't really care. Just want to hear from the new series model Jeep drivers to see if the new model is up to scratch as such.

This is for Jeep drivers only.....

You are after first hand, Jeep drivers only feedback but appear to be very reluctant to visit a site that would provide a bigger owners pool to excess....

Last edited by rst2000; 20-11-2015 at 01:28 PM.
rst2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2015, 01:40 PM   #14
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

First of all, I really like the look of the new Jeeps and they've got some really good advanced features on them.

A friend's partner works at a multi-brand car dealer and one of the brands they sell is Jeep. She wanted a new vehicle and said what about a Jeep, but he steered her in the direction of a Kia Sorento (and said there were too many problems with the Jeeps.)

I also happen to have one of my cars serviced there. Last service I was waiting for them to finalise the paperwork and noticed a Fiat Chrysler Australia rework notice left in view on the desk. It was something along the lines of rework that involved adding in an additional relay for the fuel pump circuit because some other part was failing?

It's a pity and hopefully things have improved. I've been bitten before with brand new lemon vehicles and am now very cautious when purchasing.

Last edited by murcod; 20-11-2015 at 01:56 PM.
murcod is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2015, 01:59 PM   #15
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Straight after posting the above I find this on the next site I visited!?
murcod is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2015, 02:01 PM   #16
Grunter
Not of the Sooty variety!
Donating Member3

Owned the following:

2002 Jeep GC
Issues: None. However was a truly terrible car to drive and was happy to see the back of it.

2013 Jeep SRT GC
Major Issue/s: Side wheel trim was lifting. Replaced under warranty

Own currently:
2015 Jeep SRT GC
Issue/s: Sunroof made a noise when closing. Added lubricant.

As someone who actually has owned and owns a Jeep, make of the above what you will.

Should I be making a music video?

Current
The Toy: 2002 AUIII TS50
The Daily and Tow Vehicle: 2016 VW Amarok
Grunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-11-2015, 02:12 PM   #17
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

I’ve driven but never owned one and as a first up impression I liked it.

My mate has one he traded his Territory for and he stayed over on his way to Sydney last week and he loves it, loves it, loooooooooves it.

I don’t talk down peoples choices in rides and avoid being rude but I did say to him you see a lot in the papers about their reliability and how was his going?

He said it’s been in for a few repairs but nothing major and nothing as frightening as collapsing ball joints and he added it’s the best thing he’s bought for towing his caravan and he simply loves it.

He’s heading back home up north this week and when he gets there it has to go in for another recall (don’t ask me what as my brain leaks like a sieve) but he said all the problems are being sorted and are only minor and you hear about the overblown issues in the media because of the vocal few.

Did I mention he loves it, loves it looooooves it?

If the majority of owners are as adoring as he is I can understand why they sell so well.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2015, 02:15 PM   #18
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Ah now I remember what it’s going in for and it’s not a recall as such.

Jeep is upgrading the reversing camera software to show the grid lines on the screen.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2015, 05:20 PM   #19
Matty4
Banana

I've got one. Mine's now 3 years old and just out of warranty.
Only had one issue throughout that period and that was a grumbly wheel bearing, replaced at the next service.
I'm kinda being pressured by SWMBO to start looking at another 7 seater as we had 2 Terri's, a Pajero and an XC90 prior to the Jeep, but there's just nothing that stacks up to it (Everest is close, but a couple of things still need some thought on my part).

Earlier this year I fitted a diesel chip to it and put it on a dyno. 215kw and 660nm makes this thing really go. Tows my caravan and my Wakesetter without raising a sweat.

I have a great mechanic but as time goes on i do worry about the cost of parts once things start going wrong, but that's the same for most vehicles these days, not just Jeeps.
Old 20-11-2015, 06:03 PM   #20
XtRmn8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have owned a number of Fords from new in the past 10 years. Bought the JGC diesel just over a year ago and could not be happier with it. Two others in the family (bought after they saw mine) and no issues there either.

Had a few minor issues that have all been resolved under warranty. Dealer has been good, but there are some horror stories out there and most of it comes down to hopeless dealers from what I've read.

Every make will have unhappy customers that will rant all over the internet. But for every one of them there are 10 times the number of very happy owners like myself.
Old 20-11-2015, 06:04 PM   #21
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Well, the JD Power Vehicle Dependability Ratings still have Jeeps as one of the lowest around.

I don't really think a bunch of Anecdotal Evidence from a small collection of users here is really that scientific a method
Old 20-11-2015, 07:01 PM   #22
Matty4
Banana

LOL. Jeep and Ford on the same rating.
Old 20-11-2015, 07:14 PM   #23
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

My Bro in law bought a SRT8 brand spanking new. None of the panels on the entire length of the car line up, he complained and managed to get them to realign everything but its still far from perfect (95K car), and now every bolt for the panels are marked. Also they had an issue with power steer hose letting go and losing all power steer fluid. Had to get it towed to dealer..... Its only 6 months old and done bugger all Kms.

It does go really hard though, the trans shifts awsome. Ride is very firm even on the softest setting. Back seat much smaller than the ford territories... I personally wouldnt touch one given the reviews..
Old 20-11-2015, 08:41 PM   #24
qdda5

[QUOTE=Matty4;5523458]LOL. Jeep and Ford on the same rating.[/QUOTE
Interesting ???
Old 20-11-2015, 08:52 PM   #25
monk3y

I've currently got a JGC Limited Diesel - about 7 months old now and not had any problems with it.

I had more problems with both SWMBO's LW Focus Titanium (that was purchased as a Ford Executive Demo in 2012) and the SY Territory TS that was purchased new in 2008.

The Focus was recently traded on a Cherokee Trailhawk and the two are worlds apart.

If the Jeeps are so unreliable, and the product so terrible, why then are there so many of them on the road?

When we are out on the road, the kids take great delight in spotting other Jeeps after a few minutes, it sounds like some baby birds at a worm festival in the back - "Jeep..... Jeep..... Jeep... Jeep.. Jeep.Jeep.Jeep.Jeep"
XE Fairmont Ghia - 4.1L EFI
AUIII XR6 - 5 speed in Blueprint
SY Territory TS RWD
BA MKII XR8 ENFORCER
EL Fairmont
monk3y is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2015, 10:00 PM   #26
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Jeep seems to have copped some loonies lately but every brand gets them. Remember the guy who called the media and camped outside a Ford dealer until they replaced his XR8 ute? Then he claimed the replacement ute was a lemon too. Jeep owners seem to get more creative with music videos and excavators but they're the same breed of attention seeker at the end of the day.

Friend of mine bought a Grand Cherokee Blackhawk and loves it. They're actually very nice cars, particularly the SRTs.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2015, 10:13 PM   #27
brett4777

We have have 2013 Laredo diesel .after working at a ford dealership in the mechanical repair department for 13 years we were never getting a territory to tow our camper trailer.its the wife's everyday car. never had any problems with it so far
brett4777 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2015, 10:24 PM   #28
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by monk3y View Post
I've currently got a JGC Limited Diesel - about 7 months old now and not had any problems with it.

I had more problems with both SWMBO's LW Focus Titanium (that was purchased as a Ford Executive Demo in 2012) and the SY Territory TS that was purchased new in 2008.

The Focus was recently traded on a Cherokee Trailhawk and the two are worlds apart.

If the Jeeps are so unreliable, and the product so terrible, why then are there so many of them on the road?

When we are out on the road, the kids take great delight in spotting other Jeeps after a few minutes, it sounds like some baby birds at a worm festival in the back - "Jeep..... Jeep..... Jeep... Jeep.. Jeep.Jeep.Jeep.Jeep"
You've never worked in a dealership obviously. When the punters walk in all googly eyed all they see and hear is shiny stuff and good news stuff. Reliability doesn't rate
sprintman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2015, 11:37 PM   #29
ozpacman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangm001 View Post
My Bro in law bought a SRT8 brand spanking new. None of the panels on the entire length of the car line up, he complained and managed to get them to realign everything but its still far from perfect (95K car), and now every bolt for the panels are marked. ..
So let me make sure I've got this right. He bought it brand new but didn't notice that none of the panels lined up? I would have thought that issue would have been apparent when he looked it over before handing over the cheque.

So then he jumped up and down about the non alignment and they took it away to try and make it right. Did he not realise that panels are secured to bodies by way of bolts - that you generally need to undo and then re-tighten with a spanner in order to adjust things?

Perhaps he thought they were going to wave a magic wand.

He's a hard task master your brother-in-law.
ozpacman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2015, 11:53 PM   #30
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had a patriot. In 1.5 years the only issue was a dash warning light(either abs or tc) came on while driving. Turned car off and back on again and the light went away never to return for me.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post