Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 22-12-2015, 10:21 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Smile Fines for Cyclists to Triple in NSW.

"Fines for cyclists who break the law will more than triple and cyclists will be forced to carry photo ID under sweeping changes to road rules by the state government.

Roads Minister Duncan Gay also announced that NSW will trial a minimum distance of 1m for cars passing cyclists — with motorists to be fined $319 for driving dangerously close to bike riders.

Drivers will now be required to leave at least a metre's distance when passing cyclists if travelling up to 60km/h and 1.5m if they are travelling faster than 60km/h.

Fines for cyclists will shoot up from a blanket $71 penalty for not wearing a helmet to $319 while cyclists running a red light will now incur a penalty of $425.

The fine for riding dangerously will increase to $425, to $319 for holding on to a motor vehicle and $425 for not stopping at a children's/pedestrian crossing. But Mr Gay has dumped suggestions that cyclists would be forced to be licensed or have registration.

The changes come after a year of consultation with cycling and pedestrian lobby groups, NSW Police and the state government.

Mr Gay said that more work had to be done before deciding whether cyclists needed to be insured.

Cycle safety and road safety is a two-way street

"Some of the initiatives suggested in early days including a licence, including registration were rejected by the committee, to come together with a more holistic plan that everyone supported," Mr Gay said.

"This is important for saving lives and that's what we need to be about."

The changes come into effect in March, and Centre for Road Safety executive director Bernard Carlon said the tougher penalties would mean more cyclists obeying the rules.

"What we know is that if you are involved in a crash you are 60 per cent more likely to suffer a severe brain injury if you are not wearing a helmet," Mr Carlon said.

Amy Gillett foundation chairman Mark Textor, who has been lobbying for the minimum distance rule for cars driving near cyclists, said the change would save lives.

"Cycle safety and road safety is a two-way street — mutual respect on our roads and the law is encouraging that," he said."
http://www.carsguide.com.au/car-news...quire-id-37464

My comment : I wish they did this in Queensland because cyclists think themselves above the law. The motorist cops the blame.
Old 22-12-2015, 10:24 PM   #2
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

Default Re: Fines for Cyclists to Triple in NSW.

Be handy if they made them have a small mirror so they can see traffic behind....then they could move off the road a bit and ride in the bike lane when somethings coming.
5 users like this post:
Old 22-12-2015, 11:17 PM   #3
Olbucko
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's about time, If they commit the same crime as us, they should pay the same fine as us.
Old 22-12-2015, 11:25 PM   #4
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Make sure you have your kids cashed up!
2 users like this post:
Old 22-12-2015, 11:48 PM   #5
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It matters little what the fine is if it is not enforced which I doubt it will be.
Old 22-12-2015, 11:51 PM   #6
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Completely daft some of these laws.
Old 23-12-2015, 12:20 AM   #7
tonys6550

Off to get the popcorn!
3 users like this post:
Old 23-12-2015, 01:43 AM   #8
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Serious question -

If motorists have to leave 1m between themselves and a cyclist, do cyclist have to do likewise?

IE. If I pass a cyclist leaving the 1M gap, when he approaches me at a traffic light does he have to leave 1M, or stay behind me if there is insufficient room to do so?
8 users like this post:
Old 23-12-2015, 02:07 AM   #9
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercurySilver View Post
Be handy if they made them have a small mirror so they can see traffic behind....then they could move off the road a bit and ride in the bike lane when somethings coming.
When I’m driving the 351 Clevo powered XY with an open exhaust they may not necessarily get out of my way but they definitely know I’m on my way.
6 users like this post:
Old 23-12-2015, 07:47 AM   #10
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempted View Post
Good news, hope they fine these arrogant, self entitled, lycra clad loonies off the road. They are happy to break all sorts of laws when it suits them but then carry on like spoilt children when something doesn't go their way.
You must be my fellow cyclist as you carry on quite a bit :-)
Old 23-12-2015, 08:24 AM   #11
devilcv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
Completely daft some of these laws.
fully agree. stuff having to leave 1 or 1.5metre gap. Are cops now trained to estimate gaps or will I need to have a 1 metre stick mounted on my car to ensure I leave a gap......lol
2 users like this post:
Old 23-12-2015, 09:47 AM   #12
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Waiting for the day when Walking on a public roadway becomes a privilege rather than a right, everyone needs to be registered and insured to walk on a public footpath, running on a footpath results in a speeding fine, talking on the phone constitutes negligent walking, and your shoes get impounded for slipping on the footpath
2 users like this post:
Old 23-12-2015, 10:11 AM   #13
elgt146
315-TUF

My brother was killed due to a person not giving enough room as they passed.

And no he wasn't some lycra looney, he was an Olympic Cyclist riding on a road he was entitled to ride and was on the far left shoulder riding alone.

The issue isn't about cyclist versus motorists. It is about lack of understanding of each others needs.

Cyclists don't have other places to ride, therefore roadways need to be shared. This cannot be helped and not going to change anytime soon so we need to find a solution.

Many other countries do this with no trouble at all. Japan, Netherlands. The lack of infrastructure here in Australia for cyclists is a major issue. I have also spent a lot of time in India where traffic is just crazy, however cyclists ride everyday in that traffic while motorists safely negotiate them, and cows.

These countries grow up with cycling as part of their life as a way of transport so they understand the risks, the courtesy, the give & take etc. that needs to be displayed as a motorist & cyclist.They have experienced both sides of the issue. And yes in Japan they do pay registration.

Some not all motorists seem to have this attack mentality against cyclists, that they somehow are not entitled to be on the road as they don't pay registration, follow rules and are somehow a law of there own.

If a cyclist paid a registration would the mentality of some drivers change? I don't think so. Would they stop and wave their fellow cyclist pass them, give them courtesy on the road like a motor vehicle.

Only this week Tour De France rider Robbie McEwen was swerved at, verbally abused, braked on while riding on the Gold Coast. But it was also revealed the same driver had been doing this all week to other cyclists and rego has now been reported.

I am not batting for one team, because I know there are cyclists out there that just run red lights, etc.and do so at their own risk and should be punished according to law.

Also, though we are all motoring enthusiasts and I am sure everyone here has at least put their foot down, had a traffic light race or other unacceptable behaviour in the eyes of the law at some stage in their driving life.

So, it seems to be both ways and I guess my final point is there needs to be greater understanding of what a cyclist encounters daily on the road, and also cyclists keeping in mind other traffic users.

And the reason they do ride in a bunch, or take up some of the laneways is so that a car will take the right precautions and slow down, see them and move around them at a safe speed.

And for the record I do not cycle but I do understand what they face each day and therefore share the roadways and show caution as required and expect the same from them.
Old 23-12-2015, 10:13 AM   #14
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
Waiting for the day when Walking on a public roadway becomes a privilege rather than a right, everyone needs to be registered and insured to walk on a public footpath, running on a footpath results in a speeding fine, talking on the phone constitutes negligent walking, and your shoes get impounded for slipping on the footpath
That's flawed logic.
Cyclists share the roads with much larger vehicles/drivers which pay for these roads yet have much the same road rules.
It makes perfect sense for them to contribute to and abide by the road laws.

If cyclists had their own dedicated cycle paths and were not allowed to use roads, then it would be different.

I don't have an issue sharing the road with cyclists (I don't cycle at all and have no interest), however it's a 2 way street (pun intended).
The last thing I want to do is bump a rider off and cause any injury, however they also need to be sensible about how they ride. Too many aren't.

I think proper road rules, being made accountable, and ultimately paying their way is a great step forward.
Old 23-12-2015, 10:17 AM   #15
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The issue is just as much cyclists vis a vis pedestrians. Pedestrians suffer some terrible things at the hands of cyclists and it is this, more than anything, that compels the need for identification and enforcement of liability. On the other hand, if a motorist does something bad to a cyclist, there's a registration number to follow up on, insurance and so on.
Old 23-12-2015, 10:36 AM   #16
Sioso
irregular member

I travel up and down Barrengarry Mt and Cambewarra MT every weekday and I am surprised not more cyclists are hit by cars.
There is no shoulder and no room on the left side of the road on most sections so you actually have to go on the wrong side of the road to get around them.
It's fine when you get a chance to see them coming but when they are going uphill they are only riding very slowly - you come around a blind corner and wham - they are right in front of you - if there is a car or truck going the opposite way at the same time someone isn't going to fit!
A lot big trucks take up more than their lane as it is, it's crazy anyone would choose to ride a bicycle up there.
This user likes this post:
Old 23-12-2015, 10:44 AM   #17
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Look people, just don't be c&8ts and all is good and nobody needs to get all wound up. Seriously, there is a lot more stuff day to day to get wound up about than if a cyclist causes you three-seconds of delay in your commuter. For god sake, grow up.
Old 23-12-2015, 10:59 AM   #18
Bipolar
I'm back. Same car.

There's a cyclist near me at work, so I get to pick his brain about this stuff. He told me on the north side of Brisbane, you can just about ride all the way into the city without using roads, which is the safest choice according to him. Yet people cycle the main roads all the time, even the busiest ones without cycle lanes (which most do have).

I also asked why cyclists ride on the right of the cycle lane instead of the left, especially given some are so wide. The answer was 'tyre life'. That on its own makes sense, but why should heavy traffic flow be impeded for many and safety be jeopardised due to potential inconvenience? That attitude thing mentioned above.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk
Old 23-12-2015, 11:01 AM   #19
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

The fines seem fair.
Wish they would do something similar in Victoria.
I have no objection to cyclists sharing the roads, i think it is a good idea (less motorists, less congestion).

Unfortunately it has come to these because a select few cyclists seem to see themselves above everyone else and even immortal. These are the ones who don't stop at red lights or pedestrian crossings, putting not only their own lives at risk but those in the vehicles who have to avoid them and pedestrians who are crossing the road.
St Kilda rd in Melbourne is a perfect example of this.

The other issue that needs to be sorted is cyclists riding on footpaths. I know the law states they cannot ride on it as long as there is a bike path made available. it is time this is enforced too.
Old 23-12-2015, 12:14 PM   #20
nz13boy

Quote:
Good news, hope they fine these arrogant, self entitled, lycra clad loonies off the road. They are happy to break all sorts of laws when it suits them but then carry on like spoilt children when something doesn't go their way.

And of course, motorists never break any laws when it suits them, never act like spoilt children when they dont get their way and never act in a self entitled and arrogant manner? Its in a persons nature to act like a twit regardless of wether they are on a bike in a car.
5 users like this post:
Old 23-12-2015, 01:06 PM   #21
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You carry on just like that on Ford Forums maybe the Admins should fine you.
4 users like this post:
Old 23-12-2015, 01:13 PM   #22
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Half the problem is that they won't pay these fines. A portion of people who ride pushbikes do so because they can't get a licence. Why? Because they have outstanding fines and can't afford to pay them. Increasing the fines only add to their debt that they'll never pay off anyway.

Nothing says drink drive offender more than an overweight man on a mountain bike!!!
2 users like this post:
Old 23-12-2015, 01:45 PM   #23
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgt146 View Post
And for the record I do not cycle but I do understand what they face each day and therefore share the roadways and show caution as required and expect the same from them.
I may have shared this story before but I’m going to share it again.

It makes me wonder where the time has gone as this happened about 30 years ago but it still makes me feel numb when I think about her.

Our neighbour across the road who at 65 had just retired from working at our local Hospital decided to take up cycling as a means to get fit for the overseas trip she was planning to take.

Each day she’d ride her bike a few miles out of town and back again on a road that was in good condition and could easy accommodate two vehicles travelling in opposite directions but not much more.

The people in the car following gave an account of what happened.

They were travelling at 100km/h behind a prime mover with trailer when it passed her going it the same direction.

The truck moved out into the middle of the road to give her plenty of space, they estimated there would have been about a metre to a metre and a half between them when she and the bike floated into the air and was sucked under the trailer and spat out the back.

They swerved to a avoid her and pulled up and ran back to help but she was already dead.

The truck driver who kept going later said he didn’t know anything had happened.

It was nobody's fault but it does show how easily awful things can happen and therefore respect, caution and care on both sides is important.

She was a wonderful old girl and I guess because we were so friendly with her it left an even deeper impression then if it had been a stranger and even though I know my car doesn’t have the aero force of a large truck I have ever since that day slowed down when I’m coming up behind cyclists and I give them as wide a berth as possible.

I admit at times I get a little irritated when I believe a group are taking liberties but she is always in my mind when there are cyclists around me on the road and anger never comes into the equation, I just grin and bear it and treat them as any other traffic delay that may slow my progress.
4 users like this post:
Old 23-12-2015, 01:50 PM   #24
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
This is a fairly accurate representation of the attitude of most cyclists..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ltp-eA22ZpU
I know there are dick cyclists around but I wouldn’t say that makes them typical.

All I saw in that video was a cyclist who was entitled to be on the road getting annoyed because he was being harassed by big tough impatient car drivers.
Old 23-12-2015, 01:55 PM   #25
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

A family member of mine who was an avid cyclist was struck by a car a few years ago on a quiet straight rural highway. She battled on for about a month before dying in hospital. The driver admitted to seeing her as he approached but he still hit her. What do you think the penalty for him was? Gaol time? No. Loss of licence? No. He got a fine around $500 or $600 a few years later. Yes that is how long it took. It makes these fines seem like a cruel joke. I'm not saying they aren't justified though.
Old 23-12-2015, 02:07 PM   #26
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
No, the cyclist did nothing wrong... Never mind that he was in the middle of the ******* road.
We didn’t get to see the lead up so you are assuming.

I’m only commenting on what it actually shows in the video and that is the first car to overtake is dangerously close obviously trying to prove a point followed by a short section of double lines.

That first driver regardless of what the cyclist may have done shouldn’t be excused of their dangerous cut off manoeuvre.
Old 23-12-2015, 02:08 PM   #27
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It seems fair to me , and im a biker, whats good for the goose is good for the gander, fines are heavy for motorists so bikers should get the same treatment......................... by the same token they need to do something in the areas where it is just not feasible to have heavily trafficked areas with fast moving motor vehicles and bikes together , because some roads are just too narrow and or too dangerous ,
it is alright to say motorists should give 1 to 1.5 metres clearance, but if there is not room on a major arterial in peak hour fast moving traffic , they need to provide an alternative recommended route for bikers or alter the roads according to safety, this could entail a small diversion of a block or two until the danger area passes or even allow riding on the footpath at a lower speed.
there are roads in Melbourne i would divert around for miles to avoid for fear of my life while on the cycle , some i am even reticent to travel in the bloody car.

some bikers will now say " i`m entitled " on any dangerous bit of road , but common sense says if you play with fire you're going to end up getting burnt, common sense should prevail by all road users and law/road makers alike.
end of rant ..... mik for presidentay .
Old 23-12-2015, 02:38 PM   #28
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox View Post
That's flawed logic.
Cyclists share the roads with much larger vehicles/drivers which pay for these roads yet have much the same road rules.
It makes perfect sense for them to contribute to and abide by the road laws.

If cyclists had their own dedicated cycle paths and were not allowed to use roads, then it would be different.

I don't have an issue sharing the road with cyclists (I don't cycle at all and have no interest), however it's a 2 way street (pun intended).
The last thing I want to do is bump a rider off and cause any injury, however they also need to be sensible about how they ride. Too many aren't.

I think proper road rules, being made accountable, and ultimately paying their way is a great step forward.
...and conversely too many motorists need to be sensible about how they drive. Too many aren't. ;)

For what it's worth any 'solution' or 'debate' which pursues the us and them policy is doomed. Absolutely no progress will be made and no opinions will be changed.
Old 23-12-2015, 02:41 PM   #29
Olbucko
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
This is a fairly accurate representation of the attitude of most cyclists..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ltp-eA22ZpU
A few years ago I was working with 3 0r 4 others in the small park at the end of the cycleway at the southern end of The Sydney Harbour Bridge, the RTA had put barriers across the path to slow cyclists and protect the workers, but despite this many of the riders abused the RTA worker and would not slow down.
Recently I was driving though a large park,(speed limit 20kph), when I was stopped by a council worker and asked to wait for a minute while a large truck reversed into a worksite, seconds later along comes a cyclist who totally ignored requests to stop or slow down, and sped past the blind side of the reversing truck.

Heard about an old man who was continually being intimidated by cyclists when he was walking along the shared cycle path, speed limit 10 kph, on the Anzac Bridge in Sydney, one day he was walking across the bridge with his cricket bat when a rider tried to frighten him. While trying to get out of the way he must have got flustered and somehow his bat got caught in the spokes of the bike, hopefully his bat was not damaged.
Old 23-12-2015, 03:00 PM   #30
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm sure everyone could sit here all day telling stories of idiot car drivers but it wouldn't prove a damn thing much like these stories about cyclists
5 users like this post:
Closed Thread