Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 26-03-2009, 06:07 PM   #1
Bmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Gaining HR truck licence and LS bobcat ticket

Looking at ditiching my current employment [house painting] and Gaining my HR truck licence and my LS skidsteer/ bobcat ticket. I don't mind paying to get these tickets, but want to make sure I can gain some employment when I do. Any operators out there that could give us any advice before I take the plunge. I am willing to learn at a reduced pay rate and put in the hours.
Any advice one could give would be great.

Bmobile is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2009, 12:31 AM   #2
GROM
BOSS UTE

I run my own excavation business have been going just over 3 years. First year hardly any work , made sure I had money in the bank to survive. second year probably averaged 2 days per week , would get back on tools as a chippy to keep my head above water. Third year , flat out 6 months , quite to average next 6 months . Now things have gone quite because of the economy.You can make really good money , but you have high expenses , loans ,maintaince , fuel, repairs ect. And its not what you know its who you know that will get you work. Also find a point of difference between you and your competitors , for example I bought a track bobcat rather than a wheeled one gave me work that wheeled bobcats couldnt do.Anyway good luck to you if you want to get somewhere in life then you have to take some chances it can be very rewarding but takes time..
GROM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2009, 01:10 AM   #3
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

You'll need a good eye for levels, particularly if you end up doing house pads.

Might help to learn how to use a penetrometer and laser level too

Oh and be willing to get out and pick up a shovel, so many bobcat operators I've worked with will not get out of the cab..that's how water meters get hit :togo:

One final thing, if you have a spotter, listen to them, otherwise something like this will happen:

100mm Blue brute water line with 50mm High voltage power under it, there was actually 3 50mm lines running there and also 2 50mm optic fibre and cat 5 comms lines too.

Last edited by DoreSlamR; 27-03-2009 at 01:24 AM.
DoreSlamR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2009, 08:04 AM   #4
rodderz

You can get some quite good prices on 2nd hand machinery and trucks but for something that will be your source of income and (hopefully) going at least 5 days a week it's better to get something as new as possible and in good condition. As has been said maintenance is high, particularly when it comes to hydraulic pumps etc on bobcats.

The licensing is pretty easy- it's mostly just health & safety and common sense. It might pay to do a few things for a mate or on someones property to get used to it first, so that your first job you are used to the machine.
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2009, 08:47 AM   #5
Bmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for the advice so far.
I am not looking at geting my own equipment at this stage. I would like a few years driving for someone first to gain enough experience. If I could make at least $400 a week clear I would be happy at this stage as long as I get to build experience. If I make more $'s and have the oportunity to do 40 + hrs a week then that would be good also. Either way I'm not fussed, but hope I can get enough work driving and gain some experience, even If I am only on $20 hr.
Bmobile is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2014, 02:52 AM   #6
Rhino-351

Default Re: Gaining HR truck licence and LS bobcat ticket

I'm in the exact same boat Bmobile, I've got my hr and will be obtaining bobcat next week.. It's been 5 years for you since, any tips you could pass along? Will be greatly appreciated!! cheers
Rhino-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2014, 07:27 PM   #7
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Gaining HR truck licence and LS bobcat ticket

Unfortuneatly the market has been flooded with new equipment and lots of blokes are trying this game so it means more competetion in pricing jobs etc.....Its a hard game to play!
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post