Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-04-2020, 06:27 PM   #1
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Battery charging

Hi all,

With the current times we live in, it looks like my Focus ST will be doing a lot of sitting around. Usually used on weekends only.

So I am thinking I may need to keep the battery charged to avoid killing the battery and also experiencing weird electrical gremlins low batteries can bring on.
Two questions,
1) recommended chargers, will a cheapie suffice as long as it has a trickle/maintenance setting. Something from repco or supercheap?
2) can I just connect it without disconnecting the battery from the car?

Thanks in advance.
Old 13-04-2020, 06:39 PM   #2
hawke
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Battery charging

It’s hard to go wrong with Cetec chargers. Repco often have them on sale, and for maintenance charging, you only need one of the smaller ones.

Ive got several for all my cars - some of which only do 500 miles per year - along with a 15 amp monster from SuperCheap. It’s currently charging up my totally flat battery from my Ranger. At 15 amps, it will probably run overnight.

Cetec chargers will come with a tail that connects to the battery. Just plug in the charger, and you’re good.
hawke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-04-2020, 06:50 PM   #3
gregaust
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Greg always goes out of his way to provide assistance and support to members of AFF. Greg freely shares his knowledge with people who ask for help and often assists them with obtaining parts and repairs.  A great member of the AFF community. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always happy to offer assistance from his own experiences and often posts up photos when someone is having issues finding/locating something they are trying to repair or replace. 

C-Tek 10 amp would be my choice … I have both 10 and 15 C-Tek . The reason I say 10 is for Optima dry cell , 10 amp max recommended and for me the 10 amp has the quick connect that the 15 doesn't
gregaust is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 13-04-2020, 07:09 PM   #4
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

If it has a flooded lead acid battery, don't let it sit on float charging for weeks on end, it evaporates the electrolyte solution inside the battery and can lead to a battery explosion next time you try start the car - Worksafe Victoria released a really good safety notice on this for flooded lead acid batteries used on diesel generators as they experience identical conditions as weekenders sitting on float charging for weeks on end:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...ys0mmrTMul8lEY

Charge it up, then turn the charger off, then turn it on again in another two weeks then off again.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2020, 07:11 PM   #5
hayseed

i just use something like this...

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/10W-12V-...a5b0095835ba1d

You might have to lengthen the lead so you can get It near a Window or outside somewhere.
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2020, 07:29 PM   #6
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

At the risk of stirring up the snake oil argument, maybe some fuel stabiliser as well...
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2020, 07:52 PM   #7
gregaust
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Greg always goes out of his way to provide assistance and support to members of AFF. Greg freely shares his knowledge with people who ask for help and often assists them with obtaining parts and repairs.  A great member of the AFF community. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always happy to offer assistance from his own experiences and often posts up photos when someone is having issues finding/locating something they are trying to repair or replace. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
If it has a flooded lead acid battery, don't let it sit on float charging for weeks on end, it evaporates the electrolyte solution inside the battery and can lead to a battery explosion next time you try start the car - Worksafe Victoria released a really good safety notice on this for flooded lead acid batteries used on diesel generators as they experience identical conditions as weekenders sitting on float charging for weeks on end:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...ys0mmrTMul8lEY

Charge it up, then turn the charger off, then turn it on again in another two weeks then off again.
Not a fan of leaving turned on. Each Saturday they are on till @ 100% + a little while longer , then turn off
gregaust is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 13-04-2020, 08:02 PM   #8
Magee

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregaust View Post
Not a fan of leaving turned on. Each Saturday they are on till @ 100% + a little while longer , then turn off
Agreed. I only use when I am home on weekends. To many stories on the news of fires in people garages overnight from battery chargers.
Magee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-04-2020, 08:18 PM   #9
X-AHH
The good, bad and fugly
Donating Member2

C Tek chargers are highly overpriced. If you have deep pockets, buy a C Tek. If you have any value for money sense, look at the various multi stage chargers available online for a fraction of the cost.

Car batteries are designed fol charging and discharging at high rates. For this reason its important to buy a charger with a maintenance cycle suitable for your battery. Some are used to charge deep cycle, absorbed glass mat (AGM) or gel batteries, these are mostly different from the average car battery.

In short, make sure that the details or description of the charger you choose is specifically designed to be used for car battery charging.
X-AHH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2020, 09:13 PM   #10
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I used to use two in my workshop, I had the 21A version of this charger below:

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/...er/292792.html

and a 50A workshop charger for bigger stuff with standby power etc.

The one in that link above would be fine for you at 8A and its cheap and works.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-04-2020, 11:34 AM   #11
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi All,

Thank you for all your replies. I am still researching to find a decently priced charger.

Unfortunately a solar set up as recommended wont work in my garage, no where near enough sun.

CTEK do seem to be quite expensive.

Fuel Stabiliser is something i was also thinking about.

And franco unfortunately the charger you suggested at supercheap (which i was ready to jump at) does not seem to be available, nor at that great price sadly. The other Projecta chargers i could find seem to be pretty expensive starting at $160 + for 5A. I have found this which seems to be similar https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/...start=12&sz=60

The joy of cars... parking them up still requires money

Thanks again!
Old 14-04-2020, 12:47 PM   #12
GT450
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I use a Projecta trickle charger and have had it continuously connected to my GT Falcon and now my Mustang for some years with no problem. It's 1.6 amps from memory, is fused, and I have never had a problem with it. I also have a newer Projecta which can be switched from 1 amp to four amps , again fused and both go into float mode when full charge has been attained. Half the price of Ctek and just as good.
GT450
GT450 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 14-04-2020, 01:22 PM   #13
CJR09
RPO 77

I have the projecta franco linked above - best bang for your buck going

Q: If you have tried to sell it three times now and it is still not sold, do you think it might be over-priced?

A: It is over priced - just like all the other falcon coupes for sale!!

CJR09 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2020, 01:36 PM   #14
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJR09 View Post
I have the projecta franco linked above - best bang for your buck going
Im planning to head to supercheap today, see what they have. Looks to be unavailable going off the website.
Old 14-04-2020, 02:14 PM   #15
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestaz View Post
Hi all,

With the current times we live in, it looks like my Focus ST will be doing a lot of sitting around. Usually used on weekends only.

So I am thinking I may need to keep the battery charged to avoid killing the battery and also experiencing weird electrical gremlins low batteries can bring on.
Two questions,
1) recommended chargers, will a cheapie suffice as long as it has a trickle/maintenance setting. Something from repco or supercheap?
2) can I just connect it without disconnecting the battery from the car?

Thanks in advance.

Weekend usage will be sufficient to keep your battery, engine & rest of your vehicles running gear in good running order, wasting your time imo unless the vehicle is going to parked up for a few months..
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2020, 02:22 PM   #16
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officemanager View Post
Weekend usage will be sufficient to keep your battery, engine & rest of your vehicles running gear in good running order, wasting your time imo unless the vehicle is going to parked up for a few months..
That is the issue. It is usually used on weekends. But right now, it’s not. Not a lot of places to go right now
Old 14-04-2020, 02:48 PM   #17
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestaz View Post
That is the issue. It is usually used on weekends. But right now, it’s not. Not a lot of places to go right now
Start it up and let it run for about half hour, will do it good than letting it sitting idle.
Even a brief run to shops for essential goods will do it good, just a suggestion!
Old 14-04-2020, 02:49 PM   #18
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
I used to use two in my workshop, I had the 21A version of this charger below:

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/...er/292792.html

The one in that link above would be fine for you at 8A and its cheap and works.
This is what I use to keep my camper trailer battery at full charge, great unit for the money, although I paid a bit more than that.
I cut the alligator clamps off and soldered an Anderson plug on and just hook it straight into the campers wiring, brings the battery back to 100% in under 24hrs and keeps it there ready to go again.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2020, 02:56 PM   #19
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Start it up and let it run for about half hour, will do it good than letting it sitting idle.
Even a brief run to shops for essential goods will do it good.
Correct me if im wrong, but a friend of mine who once worked in a battery manufacturing facility said idling a car that's being laid up wont actually put anything back into a discharging battery, eventually it will go flat regardless.

My Mother hasn't been using her Rav4 much due to staying isolated, last week we used it to do some running around and whilst it started, it was sluggish, a few days later we went to move it out of her carport and it was dead flat, put my charger on it (same as Franco linked) and it came back up.
This battery is only 12 months old so not old.
2 users like this post:
Old 14-04-2020, 03:06 PM   #20
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Highly recommend the ctek. You get what you pay for.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 14-04-2020, 04:33 PM   #21
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ended up with a repco charger for $120. 9 stage, 8amp. May not be the best brands but I felt it was good value and will do what I needed it to.

In relation to running the car for half an hour, there are two issues here. 1) being it will not charge the battery all that well. 2) this a direct injected motor, which from what I’ve read, extended periods of nothing but idling will just clog the thing up and lead to engine damage down the track. People with Focus STs who have done this Have ended up with major engine issues due to carboned up valves. I’m not a mechanic but I’d rather take it for a drive once a month to the shop, with a battery charger on it weekly, than start it once a week to idle.

Thank you all for the suggestions. Hopefully it will help others down the track as well.

Last edited by fiestaz; 14-04-2020 at 04:40 PM.
fiestaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2020, 04:58 PM   #22
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Correct me if im wrong, but a friend of mine who once worked in a battery manufacturing facility said idling a car that's being laid up wont actually put anything back into a discharging battery, eventually it will go flat regardless.

My Mother hasn't been using her Rav4 much due to staying isolated, last week we used it to do some running around and whilst it started, it was sluggish, a few days later we went to move it out of her carport and it was dead flat, put my charger on it (same as Franco linked) and it came back up.
This battery is only 12 months old so not old.

It will never fully charge a battery but will keep it in good condition, did this years ago when I had my commodore project which sat in my garage for four years.
Who ever says an alternator does not charge while engine idling is dreaming, now I will wait for someone to flame me for this comment.
Cheers.
2 users like this post:
Old 14-04-2020, 05:10 PM   #23
Blue Dog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A basic guide:

https://www.centurybatteries.com.au/...y-charging.pdf
Blue Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2020, 05:20 PM   #24
X-AHH
The good, bad and fugly
Donating Member2

Quote:
It will never fully charge a battery but will keep it in good condition, did this years ago when I had my commodore project which sat in my garage for four years.
Who ever says an alternator does not charge while engine idling is dreaming, now I will wait for someone to flame me for this comment.
Cheers.
No flames, you are correct. The alternator will supply enough current at idle to charge the battery and supply the vehicles electrical systems. It just won't be capable of delivering its maximum output current until the engine revs are higher than approximately 1500 RPM.

If this wasn't the case, there would be a lot of flat batteries in traffic jams etc.
X-AHH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2020, 05:49 PM   #25
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Cheers.
A lot depends on the state of the battery to begin with, if its a new battery which is idled regularly it will keep it useable, but 'surface' charging a battery which has already become flat may bring it up to allow it to start the car, but will eventually shorten the life of the battery.
3 users like this post:
Old 14-04-2020, 06:20 PM   #26
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Cheers.
In a 2 stroke Detroit diesel the alternator will NOT provide a charge while the engine is idling. There I said it.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2020, 08:48 PM   #27
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
A lot depends on the state of the battery to begin with, if its a new battery which is idled regularly it will keep it useable, but 'surface' charging a battery which has already become flat may bring it up to allow it to start the car, but will eventually shorten the life of the battery.
My comment was about maintaining a good charged battery as the topic was not discussing charging a flat battery which of course would be a different story.
I should have mentioned in my other post increasing the revs up and down at times with the engine will help for charging and running of engine.

Quote:
In a 2 stroke Detroit diesel the alternator will NOT provide a charge while the engine is idling. There I said it.
RoKwiz I don't doubt you as I would not have a clue what sort of alternator that is used for 2 stroke diesel engine ....lol
My comment was intended for most common passenger car alternators.

Last edited by Itsme; 14-04-2020 at 08:53 PM.
Old 14-04-2020, 08:49 PM   #28
Gothefalcon
FAWD - No Boundaries
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: He takes long trips in his AWD Falcon & where ever he goes he sets out to meet forum members at various destinations. He does this without expectation of any sort. I have had the pleasure of spending time with Dhru on two of his separate trips and his gre Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The excellent write ups in your BF AWD Falcon Wagon thread 

I have a couple cars that get occasional use.. I just remove the earth cable and the batteries stay good for months.
Yes... I have to reset the clock etc... but that just takes a couple minutes, so no biggy !

I pop the bonnet first... then get out and lock the car... then disconnect the earth and close the bonnet. To get in I just use the key in the door lock (the old school way ) then pop the bonnet and reconnect the earth. Easy.

D

22 DJR Shell V-Power Mustang Eskymobile (my first EV)
07 BF2 AWD Falcon Wagon (Daily driver)
04 BA Falcon 1Tonner Ute (New Project)
03 BA Falcon Wagon (Spare)
98 NL Fairlane Ghia V8 (Weekend cruiser)
70 VG paddock racer (Cain it til it breaks.. fix it.. Cain it all over again !)

Last edited by Gothefalcon; 14-04-2020 at 08:57 PM.
Gothefalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2020, 09:11 PM   #29
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Too True, or at least the Ones I've owned/Driven.
You had to give 'em a bit of a Thongful to get the old Fashioned regulator to kick in..

@ Officemanager, they're usually a Geardriven Leece Neville Alternator..
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2020, 09:24 PM   #30
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

Supporting Franco's overcharging warning, I left my Sierra plugged up to a battery charger too long...

It scared the crap out of me when I turned the ignition, and thought the IRA had come to visit.
and... a collection of Jeep Towpigs
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck
and.... some spare metal bits with holes in them
Captain Stubing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post: