Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 01-03-2015, 09:39 PM   #1
david lee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default petrol milege

can anyone tell me what the DTE mileage should read on a full tank on a 2002 au xr6 mine says 420 which doesent seem right. what mileage per 100 litres should i be getting city driving .thanks all
david lee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2015, 10:00 PM   #2
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 
Default Re: petrol milege

Dte tells you how heavy you've been with the right foot & estimates how far you'll get with the amount of fuel in the tank. Is it a vct or hp? Mid to highish 9's for hp, high 13's for a vct city driving (taking it real easy lol!).

cheer's, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 01-03-2015, 11:39 PM   #3
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by david lee View Post
can anyone tell me what the DTE mileage should read on a full tank on a 2002 au xr6 mine says 420 which doesent seem right. what mileage per 100 litres should i be getting city driving .thanks all
that doesn't sound too bad for driving in city/burbs David,
idling and stop starting sucks the juice , i usually drive fairly smoothly in the burbs and commonly see 450, on occasion 420,
with a concerted effort to drive with max economy i have seen better than 500 + .
my best ever dte on a short trip was 930 , (may have had a bit of a slight tail wind), and it was straight after major servicing of the limo with as much friction modifiers as i could squeeze into every nook and cranny of the driveline , never seen it since though .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2015, 12:07 AM   #4
david lee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

its a vct
Old 02-03-2015, 12:28 AM   #5
LyleXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My AU XR8 ute does 500 to and from work, 700+ on the highway, from 70 litres
LyleXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2015, 12:29 AM   #6
david lee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

on my calculations ive got 185klms on a half a tank and 187 to empty and im a cruiser.on 185 i topped the tank to full and it took 31 litres
Old 02-03-2015, 12:33 AM   #7
david lee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleXR8 View Post
to me that sounds about right actually good as its a v8
Old 02-03-2015, 12:41 AM   #8
LyleXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In AUs the v8 and 6s didn't have much difference in fuel economy
Old 02-03-2015, 01:29 AM   #9
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Might be time for a air deflector, next mod for my vct. My AU Futura i6 gets around 600km a tank around town atm on 95 ron petrol.

cheer's, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Old 02-03-2015, 11:25 AM   #10
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
on 185 i topped the tank to full and it took 31 litres
That's 16.75L/100klms. That's about right for stop-start city traffic in an AU VCT auto with the aircon on.

Mind you, compared to anything made in the last decade, that's abysmal.
My wife's 100kw auto Corolla sedan does exactly half the fuel consumption of my AU for the same type of driving (8L/100klms), and it's got over 100k on the clock now.
Old 02-03-2015, 07:24 PM   #11
MadnessEvolved

With my AU1 XR6 Manual I've been consistently getting an average of 440-470km to the tank. I think I've managed over 500km once or twice, and got under 400 the one time I tried United's P100.

Typically, when I've just filled up, my DTE will show somewhere between 500-600, but by the time I've made it home it'll be down to around 480-520 (it's a 19km trip home from the servo I prefer).

Being manual, I do my best to drive as smoothly as I can, though I'm probably still a bit too heavy most of the time. Following the metrics of the DTE, though, it gets difficult. Treating the car gently, I've had my DTE go down to less than 300km left when I've driven less than 60km. So driving easy, my car is telling me I'd get little more than 300km. Is this something to just ignore while the car relearns and adjusts itself? I put in a more concerted effort into driving it more fairly after the computers were replaced (which reset things, of course) and not much has changed.

Almost all of my driving is stop/start, often in heavy traffic. I've not yet had the time and fuel to take it for a couple of really long drives that don't mean constant stopping. Can't even manage it much on the freeways and highways here in Perth, these days.
MadnessEvolved is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2015, 08:28 PM   #12
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Anyone use their cruise control around town? I try to use it as much as possible, where possible (realistically) mainly to help me stick to the speed limit. Side benefit for me is a little better fuel economy.

Wheels mag tested a AU Fairmont Ghia when new & its worst figure on test was 14.6 litres per 100km. I couldn't find a figure for a vct xr6 unfortunately.

A ecu reset twice a year may help also, ive found it beneficial for sure.

cheer's, Maka

Last edited by Maka; 02-03-2015 at 08:42 PM.
Old 02-03-2015, 09:41 PM   #13
Spurious

My AU2 i6 averages 12 - 18L/p 100 around town, stop start type stuff.

If I reset the meter whilst driving, it shoots straight up to like 60, then drops within minutes to the high teens
Reset it in the garage then reverse out, 99L/p 100....

Hwy average isn't much better, 10L/p 100 at best.
I rarely fill it more than 3/4 & never use CC in 60km burb areas.
Spurious is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2015, 09:53 PM   #14
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

420 sounds about right.That is what I normally get from city driving. Just got back from a trip to Adelaide. Done Adelaide to Melbourne on 3/4 tank of fuel. When I filled up I had DTE of 854, which was pretty accurate.

2002 AUIII XR6
1995 EF Falcon XR6
2003 LR Focus Zetec
1989 KE Laser TX3
FOCUSonTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2015, 10:39 PM   #15
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I think I have a bad case of "right footites". Got around 330 from my standard 6 with LPG in Sydney. Much better on the high way on cruise down the Canberra about double (650). Not driving the V8 so don't know on that one (yet)
UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2015, 03:38 PM   #16
Jarry
Going with the X-Flow

AU2 6cyl Auto (trans in "power" mode)....

I usually get:

15L per 100km around town - with aircon.
9.5L per 100km on highway - with aircon, cruise control on.
7L per 100km on highway - no aircon, cruise control on.

If you don't have Adaptive Shift, you can set your trans to "Econ". This locks up the torque convertor in 3rd and 4th gear and helps with fuel economy (and also trans temps). It basically achieves the same as Maka's cruise control strategy.... cos when Cruise Control is on, you'll find the converter locks up (the revs drop down slightly and there are no energy losses due to fluid slippage).
Jarry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2015, 10:00 PM   #17
TheZHLANE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

au1 Fairmont 215000 averages about 11-12l / 100kms driving to work and back avg speed 46kms.
au2 te50 averages about 15-16l / 100kms same journey.
TheZHLANE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2015, 10:56 PM   #18
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the effort put into the Australia day cruise to Albury Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: AU Tech article. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleXR8 View Post
AU utes have an 82 litre tank Lyle. Sorry, but that does not make your figures look real good. I guess you still have 10 litres or so left when you fill it.

My AU2 Futura managed a DTE of 850-900 kms purely on highway cycle. Consistantly it would get 500 km around town driving. Not bad for a standard sedan tank of 68 litres.

I am not going to report my TS or LTD's economy! I'll just say that I enjoy them!

Cheers
Stu

5.6L 342ci T3 Short, AFR165 heads, Comp XE270HR-12 Cam, Brembo 4/4s(355/330), T3 5 spokes, LC-1 wideband, Whiteline HD swaybars, TCE 3K Hi Stall, PWR Auto Trans Cooler, Koni shocks, King Low Springs, Hurricane headers, 100 cpsi cats, Twin 2.5" exhaust.

Quarter Mile: 13.73 @ 105.86mph

Runner Up NA/DA to BF Fairlane/LTD Geelong AFD 2024

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Custom twin 2.5" exhaust w Herrod modifed extractors, Tuned with Moates QH
auIILTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-03-2015, 11:57 PM   #19
Dinoquad
Starter Motor

6 cylinder AU II ute. Heavy steel tray. Set up for camping with 30 kg of auxiliary battery and 25 litres of water. A/C on most of the time. Tares 2.1 tonnes with me and a tank of fuel, and enough tools to accomplish most mercy missions.....and over 270 thousand on the wound back clock......

I tend to work in what actual fuel and mileage I've covered......

When running well around Brissie, about 13 to 14 l/100km in econ mode and driving like my 90 year old father.
In power and enjoyment mode, add 2 litres extra to the consumption.

Running light to the gold coast about 10 litres per 100 in economy mode, combined.
Power mode adds a little more consumption, somewhere around 10 to 15%.

Running in the hills through the Dagular Highway it is going well to use 12 to the 100 in economy and loaded towing a trailer to GCM and power mode, it's about the same as around the city.

On a shooting tip out west, fully loaded but light footed and keeping pace with a 3 litre diesel Patrol, he pulled 8.5 litres to the 100 and I did 8 litres to the 100.

So, if you want economy you need to drive for it, or drive a more economical vehicle. If you want to overtake from 80km/h and pass the front of a road train at 140 km/h with a trailer behind and a load on the back.....

I will also add that some fuel bowsers can put 85 litres of fuel in with some 6 to 8 litres left.....
Dinoquad is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2015, 08:55 AM   #20
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Quote:
Hi David, just wondering if your engine is stock & is your xr6 up to date in the servicing department? How many kays on the engine & is it idling rough?
Just asking so we can get a better idea.

cheer's, Maka

Last edited by Maka; 05-03-2015 at 09:08 AM.
Old 05-03-2015, 09:05 AM   #21
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadnessEvolved View Post
With my AU1 XR6 Manual I've been consistently getting an average of 440-470km to the tank. I think I've managed over 500km once or twice, and got under 400 the one time I tried United's P100.

Typically, when I've just filled up, my DTE will show somewhere between 500-600, but by the time I've made it home it'll be down to around 480-520 (it's a 19km trip home from the servo I prefer).

Being manual, I do my best to drive as smoothly as I can, though I'm probably still a bit too heavy most of the time. Following the metrics of the DTE, though, it gets difficult. Treating the car gently, I've had my DTE go down to less than 300km left when I've driven less than 60km. So driving easy, my car is telling me I'd get little more than 300km. Is this something to just ignore while the car relearns and adjusts itself? I put in a more concerted effort into driving it more fairly after the computers were replaced (which reset things, of course) and not much has changed.

Almost all of my driving is stop/start, often in heavy traffic. I've not yet had the time and fuel to take it for a couple of really long drives that don't mean constant stopping. Can't even manage it much on the freeways and highways here in Perth, these days.
Ive not seen that before, was that straight after the ecu swap? I wouldn't ignore it because ive changed out ecu's before in my AU (chasing a miss, reinstalled original ecu in the end) & it never did that. Your replacement ecu might need resetting again.

Some times it takes a couple of go's resetting the ecu. If you know your radio code, take the negative lead off the battery for a couple of hours then reinstall. See how you go after the relearn period, good luck!

cheer's, Maka

Last edited by Maka; 05-03-2015 at 09:18 AM.
Old 05-03-2015, 09:45 PM   #22
david lee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka View Post
Hi David, just wondering if your engine is stock & is your xr6 up to date in the servicing department? How many kays on the engine & is it idling rough?
Just asking so we can get a better idea.

cheer's, Maka
it is a stock xr6 with 175000 ks it ldles perfect uses and leaks no oil and if you put the boot to the pedal its scary.the only thing thats been replaced have been plugs and leads and the under dash computer which was reprogramed
Old 05-03-2015, 10:20 PM   #23
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the effort put into the Australia day cruise to Albury Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: AU Tech article. 

A common cause of poor fuel economy on our AUs is failing or aging o2 sensors. I would suggest changing out your o2 sensor(s). For less than a tank of fuel, you could save a bucket load.

o2 sensors are a critical part of the normal running with an EECx ECU. They constantly tell the ECU if the fuel mix is rich or lean. A failing sensor could constantly tell the ECU the car is lean, so the ECU will try and compensate by adding more fuel.

Hope that helps.

Stu

5.6L 342ci T3 Short, AFR165 heads, Comp XE270HR-12 Cam, Brembo 4/4s(355/330), T3 5 spokes, LC-1 wideband, Whiteline HD swaybars, TCE 3K Hi Stall, PWR Auto Trans Cooler, Koni shocks, King Low Springs, Hurricane headers, 100 cpsi cats, Twin 2.5" exhaust.

Quarter Mile: 13.73 @ 105.86mph

Runner Up NA/DA to BF Fairlane/LTD Geelong AFD 2024

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Custom twin 2.5" exhaust w Herrod modifed extractors, Tuned with Moates QH

Last edited by auIILTD; 05-03-2015 at 10:21 PM. Reason: spelling
auIILTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-03-2015, 10:36 PM   #24
LyleXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by auIILTD View Post
AU utes have an 82 litre tank Lyle. Sorry, but that does not make your figures look real good. I guess you still have 10 litres or so left when you fill it.

My AU2 Futura managed a DTE of 850-900 kms purely on highway cycle. Consistantly it would get 500 km around town driving. Not bad for a standard sedan tank of 68 litres.

I am not going to report my TS or LTD's economy! I'll just say that I enjoy them!

Cheers
Stu
I put a new Walboro pump setup in it and the float needs adjusting, I fill it at close to zero on the DTE and can just squeeze 70 in, this gives me 500km to work and 700km on the highway at 120. After I ran it out once using the old "I still got 12 litres left, I'll get a couple days to work" I ran out 1km from a servo so now I use the DTE as my fill point and know if it comes to the crunch Ive got a reserve left in the tank, I still get uneasy when it says 0km DTE though!!!
Old 05-03-2015, 10:53 PM   #25
Spurious

Quote:
Originally Posted by auIILTD View Post
A common cause of poor fuel economy on our AUs is failing or aging o2 sensors. I would suggest changing out your o2 sensor(s). For less than a tank of fuel, you could save a bucket load.

o2 sensors are a critical part of the normal running with an EECx ECU. They constantly tell the ECU if the fuel mix is rich or lean. A failing sensor could constantly tell the ECU the car is lean, so the ECU will try and compensate by adding more fuel.

Hope that helps.

Stu
That info is priceless, & you're dead on.

Whilst on the highway yesterday I set cruise to about 112 & reset the meter (L/per 100klm)
Before I reset it, it was on 17'ish, after the reset it went straight to 16.5 then 5 -8 minutes later it dropped to the 12's & hovered there between 12 & 13 all day. Bit of highway & a bit of round town stuff.

Today, again with a couple short drives & then 2x 20klm trips at 110km/h it stayed around 13.4.

I'm not fussed !!!
Spurious is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2015, 09:01 AM   #26
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Quote:
it is a stock xr6 with 175000 ks it ldles perfect uses and leaks no oil and if you put the boot to the pedal its scary.the only thing thats been replaced have been plugs and leads and the under dash computer which was reprogramed
Vct's come from the factory with a tune that's considered to be pretty rich, hence the not so good fuel mileage they are known to suffer from. If your computer has been reprogrammed or chipped i would like to think the tune on it has been leaned out a bit (to bring the tune closer to stoich or optimal) which should give better fuel economy & power.

I would take Stu's (aka au11LTD) great advice & replace the o2 sensor for piece of mind unless of course its been replaced recently. I now see the leads & plugs have been changed out, that'll definitely help with your fuel economy also. Good luck!

Edit - have look at this link for some nice AU VCT info - http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....ht=au+vct+tune

cheer's, Maka

Last edited by Maka; 06-03-2015 at 09:19 AM.
Old 07-03-2015, 04:51 PM   #27
david lee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka View Post
Vct's come from the factory with a tune that's considered to be pretty rich, hence the not so good fuel mileage they are known to suffer from. If your computer has been reprogrammed or chipped i would like to think the tune on it has been leaned out a bit (to bring the tune closer to stoich or optimal) which should give better fuel economy & power.

I would take Stu's (aka au11LTD) great advice & replace the o2 sensor for piece of mind unless of course its been replaced recently. I now see the leads & plugs have been changed out, that'll definitely help with your fuel economy also. Good luck!

Edit - have look at this link for some nice AU VCT info - http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....ht=au+vct+tune

cheer's, Maka
i cant recall the 02 sensor ever been replaced can a mechanic tell if it is worn out or would a auto electrician be a better option for a test.what would be the price of a sensor
Old 07-03-2015, 06:34 PM   #28
XC50077
Drive'n Cruise'n Live'n

150,000K is the useful life and they also [see AU11LTD] deteriorate with age. There are good quality Bosch or NTK on Ebay for around $70. I,ve used either with good results.
XC50077 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-03-2015, 07:42 PM   #29
david lee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC50077 View Post
150,000K is the useful life and they also [see AU11LTD] deteriorate with age. There are good quality Bosch or NTK on Ebay for around $70. I,ve used either with good results.
thanks for the info