Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-07-2019, 12:04 AM   #1
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Turning Right at Traffic Lights

Why is this so flaming hard for so many?

Authorities have managed to make the process almost idiot-proof:
There's an arrow, it actually points in the direction you need to go, and when its time, it turns Green. Green means go.
Then, if you need to stop going, it turns red.
In fact, in recognition of the stupidity of the average driver, there is even a warning of the impending stopping, the arrow goes Orange.

So why is every green arrow greeted like the appearance of Aliens from Outer Space, something so completely unforeseen that it leaves drivers rooted to the spot in a state of paralysis?

Whilst I realise that the presence of another vehicle renders many drivers completely incapable of rational thought, its just not that flaming hard. If the car is in front of you, you FOLLOW it around the corner. You don't drive into it, but neither do you have to wait for the 2nd coming of Jesus to tell you to move. (See Green & Red instructions above.)

I suspect the problem is that those greedy traffic engineers have designed it such that opposing right-turners move at once, and apparently the stress of going forward without running into the opposing traffic causes many to spontaneously **** their pants.

I think I am finally starting to understand the push behind autonomous vehicles. I previously worried that there wouldn't be enough processing power to replace a Good Human Driver, but now realise that your average driver can be replaced with the inner workings of a 70's "digital" alarm clock.

I am also warming to the benefits of public transport. All this time I just thought these people were some kind of weird neo-communist hippies, who think that spending $20B on a train is better for the planet than spending $1B upgrading the roads. but now I understand, they are the smart ones. Freed from earthly shackles they have ascended to a higher plane of existence where they are nolonger plagued by the profligate human jelly-fish that infest our roads.

Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 24-07-2019, 12:16 AM   #2
JasonACT
Away on leave

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Outstanding work on the FG ICC issues. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The insane amount of work he has put into the Falcon FG ICC is unbelievable. He has shared everything he has done and made a great deal of it available to us all. He has definitely helped a great deal of us with no personal gains to himself. 
Default Re: Turning Right at Traffic Lights

I agree with you 100%... Twice in 3 months, the green light signalling GO! and has had the 2nd vehicle in line just sit there - which makes the "system" think "no more traffic" and go amber very early before everyone has had a chance to proceed and get through.

And it's always a big/even-small truck that didn't bother to move in my case. Curse them.

Last edited by JasonACT; 24-07-2019 at 12:29 AM. Reason: (I almost added a 2nd post - but this is as good - I'm in a truck, don't expect me to act as fast as you, Unknown why.)
JasonACT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2019, 12:36 AM   #3
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

It will be drivers on phones. Give them a toot!
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2019, 12:39 AM   #4
JasonACT
Away on leave

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Outstanding work on the FG ICC issues. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The insane amount of work he has put into the Falcon FG ICC is unbelievable. He has shared everything he has done and made a great deal of it available to us all. He has definitely helped a great deal of us with no personal gains to himself. 

Yeah, that too. Drivers that stop at green lights. Been there wondering, with them talking to their girlfriends (I'm not kidding).
JasonACT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2019, 03:00 AM   #5
Itsme
Experienced Member

I hate it when you have green arrows only, when they switch off the dumb asses don't like to move waiting for the lights change for the next green arrow.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-07-2019, 11:17 AM   #6
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I previously worried that there wouldn't be enough processing power to replace a Good Human Driver, but now realise that your average driver can be replaced with the inner workings of a 70's "digital" alarm clock.

Last night traffic was free flowing and just as I entered a large intersection, we came to a complete stop because the driver in front decided to give way to people on our left wanting to turn right. Nobody there expected to be let in, nobody in my lane expected it, so everything stopped awkwardly and randomly on a Green. Bloody dangerous!
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2019, 12:07 PM   #7
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

You have to allow time for drivers to finish their text and put the phone down?
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 24-07-2019, 12:41 PM   #8
guzzis3
AU3 ute EL futura

"smartphones" have made it worse but this was coming before them. The problem across society is the attitude people need to be protected from themselves, but the more hazards and decisions you remove the higher they lift the idiot bar. They just get better at killing themselves. Unfortunately usually they don't succeed, but sometimes take someone else....

Traffic lights should be removed at every opportunity and replaced with roundabouts and fixed intersections. It would get people back in the habit of watching the road and working out what to do.
guzzis3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2019, 12:43 PM   #9
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Go watch a few episodes of Auto Strasti and come back to me on that idea actually flying. :p
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2019, 01:14 PM   #10
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In some spots the green arrow is crap as you could go easy when no bugger is coming for ages and then it goes when the cars coming onwards have to stop. their is one just up the road from me that is like that.

But another one near the city that arrow goes to let 3 cars at the most across and that's if the one in front is on the ball, it's like f ing go or only one car can make it through.

If you are clearly safe to go you should be able to go in some cases.
mick taylor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 24-07-2019, 02:21 PM   #11
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
I am also warming to the benefits of public transport.
Dazz, if you're getting this worked up over people's approach to the use of turning arrows at traffic lights, I hate to see how worked up you'll get about your experience with the public transport system: trains not running to schedule, trains cancelled due to strike action, the inability/inconsistency in having trains and buses align their arrival/departure times, air conditioning either not working or working too well, not being able to get a seat and having to stand, packed in with your fellow public transporter like sardines, breathing in their bad BO after a hard day at the office, sweating profusely because the air con is on the fry....again..........

Might be time to take up a relaxation class. Learn how to count to ten, regulate your breathing and allow the stress to leave your body. Would be a better investment/alternative to public transport, IMHO.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 24-07-2019, 07:11 PM   #12
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Intersection of Boundary Road and Racecourse Road in Kensington - green arrow is on for 10 seconds then yellow then red.

Every god damn time some flog at the front, the green arrow is up, they take 5 seconds to move, yellow, red.

Then the next cycle it's no arrow just green light, because of the heavy traffic you get one or two cars who can turn in a cycle with no arrow.

It banks up so far back that it can block the Flemington Road intersections if people are careless and end up stuck across the road or tram lines.

It banks so far back that the offramp onto the Tullamarine Freeway can completely fill up and you can take 15-20 mins to get through 2 intersections.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2019, 07:55 PM   #13
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

In other countries the yellow comes on again before the green to wake people up to get ready to go...probably would be too complicated to work here...
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2019, 08:28 PM   #14
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It are the ones that don't notice the Light has turned Green and only move off just as it turns Amber that need a public flogging.
Everyone behind is punished by their stupidity whilst they drive off on their merry way as if nothing happened.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 24-07-2019, 09:15 PM   #15
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not just turning right, people really struggle with traffic lights in general. If traffic lights confuse someone, they shouldn't be allowed to drive.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-07-2019, 09:34 PM   #16
.:4:.
Kicking back

Hmmmm, nothing is worse then a red light and a green arrow, but the uber driver up front just got a job so indicates left now wanting to go straight in the turning lane which has a green arrow but the light is red. For all efficiency purposes, just do a lap around the block fool, dont annoy others then annoy even more pushing back into to traffic going straight. I drive in cbd traffic all the time, attempting to attend breakdowns, and its a daily occurance and it wastes so much of my time. I know where i want to go, i know the way to get there. Its a time waster and a half.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2019, 03:10 PM   #17
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I share your views Daz, I often see a delayed reactions to the green arrow.
also people doing a U-turn on the green arrow seem unable to to this quickly..

but what bugs me more is the left turn arrow. why do we need this?

answer: Sadly our drivers are incapable of doing a left turn give way without hitting someone of something..
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2019, 04:54 PM   #18
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
It are the ones that don't notice the Light has turned Green and only move off just as it turns Amber that need a public flogging.
Everyone behind is punished by their stupidity whilst they drive off on their merry way as if nothing happened.
It's just like the ones who plod along the highway way under the speed limit and then speed up to even exceeding the speed limit on the overtaking lanes, not to mention they do it every time, so I believe it's intentional playing games or they are just so stupid.
mick taylor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-07-2019, 05:11 PM   #19
EBSXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
I share your views Daz, I often see a delayed reactions to the green arrow.
also people doing a U-turn on the green arrow seem unable to to this quickly..

but what bugs me more is the left turn arrow. why do we need this?

answer: Sadly our drivers are incapable of doing a left turn give way without hitting someone of something..
I am in Vic, I want U turns banned at lights. A fair percentage drivers doing this have memory lapses, they do not give way to other vehicles.

Left turn arrows are good to keep traffic flowing where a right turn arrows are operating on intersecting roads.
EBSXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2019, 09:10 PM   #20
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
Hmmmm, nothing is worse then a red light and a green arrow, but the uber driver up front just got a job so indicates left now wanting to go straight in the turning lane which has a green arrow but the light is red. For all efficiency purposes, just do a lap around the block fool, dont annoy others then annoy even more pushing back into to traffic going straight. I drive in cbd traffic all the time, attempting to attend breakdowns, and its a daily occurance and it wastes so much of my time. I know where i want to go, i know the way to get there. Its a time waster and a half.

That's almost the most Sydney thing you can do.
The only thing more Sydney is coming to a complete stop in the right lane of a 4 lane motorway so you can exit left because you've been too busy doing 74km/h in the right lane of a 100km/h zone for the last 10km.

Well anywhere between Wollongong and Newcastle is full of absolute horrible drivers.
Old 25-07-2019, 09:17 PM   #21
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Who else had a chuckle at the silver Mazda 3 in a DCOA clip the other day? It just bulldozed the car in front after patiently waiting forever to turn.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2019, 09:20 PM   #22
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
That's almost the most Sydney thing you can do.
The only thing more Sydney is coming to a complete stop in the right lane of a 4 lane motorway so you can exit left because you've been too busy doing 74km/h in the right lane of a 100km/h zone for the last 10km.

Well anywhere between Wollongong and Newcastle is full of absolute horrible drivers.
What also is kind of dangerous is, i tend to run heavy in the ute so merging into traffic on the freeway i like to be at road speed. When the person in front stops for whatever dumb reason, leaving me now stuck waiting for the space to get back to speed as not to cause a pile up..... its mainly the merge into the right lane leaving the city off the bridge, or also into the right lane off reserve road in artarmon. A. Dont stop, merge. B. Some loaded vehicles dont stop as well and also dont go as well. C. Merge properly. Its not that hard. Indicate and match the speed of the traffic you intent to join. Its not rocket surgery.
Old 25-07-2019, 10:06 PM   #23
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jastel View Post
In other countries the yellow comes on again before the green to wake people up to get ready to go...probably would be too complicated to work here...

I can imagine accidents with the jump starters
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2019, 02:57 AM   #24
94_ef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick taylor View Post
It's just like the ones who plod along the highway way under the speed limit and then speed up to even exceeding the speed limit on the overtaking lanes, not to mention they do it every time, so I believe it's intentional playing games or they are just so stupid.
Boooo for reminding me. I was in my happy place.

I drive with cruise control, so I know my speed is consistent. These sheep overtake me on the overtaking zones. I then spend the next 10 mins on the brakes because they can't take a corner. I hate having to slow down for people who speed.
1994 Ford ED Falcon GLi wagon. Discovered my love for Ford 4L.
94_ef is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2019, 08:37 AM   #25
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Or those who just gotta pass you to then pull in front and take the next exit
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 26-07-2019, 10:56 AM   #26
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBSXR6 View Post
I am in Vic, I want U turns banned at lights. A fair percentage drivers doing this have memory lapses, they do not give way to other vehicles.

Left turn arrows are good to keep traffic flowing where a right turn arrows are operating on intersecting roads.
Unfortunately we have many divided carriage ways, in some cases the only way to get to a location on the other side of the road is to perform a U-turn. there are many lights that have no U-turn signs.
People just need to know how to use them properly.

A red left arrow stops traffic flow doesn't it?
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2019, 11:40 AM   #27
irpacaus

Well here in QLD it is illegal to do Uturns at lights unless there is a sign that says that you CAN. So many times I have nearly been taken out by people doing Uturns illegally and also not giving way. Obviously it's all the Victorians that move to QLD that don't no the rules are different.

Dave

Sent from my SM-N9500 using Tapatalk
irpacaus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2019, 11:47 AM   #28
guzzis3
AU3 ute EL futura

Couple of things.

I lived in sydney for 30 years. I feel safer on the roads in sydney on a motorcycle than I do in brisbane in my AU ute with steel tray. I laugh out loud when in the passenger seat in sydney when my friends are getting worked up over what would be considered pristine driving up here. You have not experienced true terror until you have driven in Brisbane.

U turns at traffic lights are illegal unless signed in queensland and NSW. The million odd melbournites who moved up here in the 90's still have not figured this out.

I decided to sort those slow drivers who speed up in overtaking lanes decades ago. I hammer it past them then slow to 40 so everyone else can get past. Wakes them up some.

At traffic lights use the horn early and often.

Uber should be illegal for so many reasons.
guzzis3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2019, 10:46 PM   #29
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
What also is kind of dangerous is, i tend to run heavy in the ute so merging into traffic on the freeway i like to be at road speed. When the person in front stops for whatever dumb reason, leaving me now stuck waiting for the space to get back to speed as not to cause a pile up..... its mainly the merge into the right lane leaving the city off the bridge, or also into the right lane off reserve road in artarmon. A. Dont stop, merge. B. Some loaded vehicles dont stop as well and also dont go as well. C. Merge properly. Its not that hard. Indicate and match the speed of the traffic you intent to join. Its not rocket surgery.
Yep it's a stupid thing to do.
Had it one time old mate stopped at the end of a merge in a 60km/h zone. Like how could you not match traffic speed at 60?
Anyway as I come around the corner both lanes are now free, so I merge straight across into the far right lane to leave space for this stopped idiot to merge into the left lane.
All good I think, then a minute later at the next lights this guy slows down next to me and yells "F%$ing, C#%* at me.
I took note of the company name on his car and called them up.
Only time I've done that and regret nothing.

If you're a **** driver, fair enough. But if you're a **** driver and want to run your mouth then **** ya.
Old 26-07-2019, 11:48 PM   #30
Kicking back

In my case with the load varying, sometimes more in the back, or towing, whilst my brakes are good (done last week) stopping distances vary and loaded, yes, that also means it takes longer to get going. I dont get all road ragey, for me it is what it is. But i look at it this way. My barge is alot heavier then the spastic in the car in front. If it is a dumb move to get in my way, and its short notice, im probably going to win in an accident. I may only have 2 doors. But 6 airbags. Dunno how more then 1 helps, but 6 is more then 1. Never used an airbag. I try to keep away.