Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 10-06-2013, 08:34 PM   #1
DRAGN6
DRAGN6

Default Wrong Plugs

Hey Guys,
I recently swapped my BA Fairlane [740*** on clock] for a Series 2 AU XR6 and yes, it's a GEN XR6. << I say that because I actually questioned it today, but found that the compliance plate is stamped with the 18135 XR Code, so am relieved again.

I have been doing a FULL service, went to change plugs and discovered that the previous owner has in fact used 'Mixed Plugs'
There are 4 appropriate NGKs and then there are 2 Denzo?? Sorry, forgot the P/Ns on those, but the theads on the Denzos are much shorter, which means the tips don't go in as far as the NGKs.

Just wondering what 'possible' damage may have been caused, as I don't know how long it has been like that for. I have only had this XR6 for not quite a week and finally decided to get in and do the service, while I have the break in the weather lol.

I am now ordering the correct Plugs & Leads to finish the service and will then do a trans flush and inspection.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

CHEERS,
Dave

DRAGN6 Build Thread

My Previous Rides:
LOTS, But I'm only listing my most recent!!

1. 2001 AU XR6 [New Daily]
  2. 1999 AU Classic [DRAGN6]
  3. 1992 EBII with too much to list! [sold and bough DRAGN6 as a 'stocker']!

DRAGN6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2013, 08:57 PM   #2
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 
Default Re: Wrong Plugs

Hey there DRAGN6, the shorter reach of the hotter plugs shouldnt have damaged anything, if the plug tips are melted well then thats a different story lol! The main thing is consistent combustion chamber temps, so get the appropriate plugs & leads, fit them, move on to the next job.

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-06-2013, 12:04 AM   #3
DRAGN6
DRAGN6

Default Re: Wrong Plugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka View Post
Hey there DRAGN6, the shorter reach of the hotter plugs shouldnt have damaged anything, if the plug tips are melted well then thats a different story lol! The main thing is consistent combustion chamber temps, so get the appropriate plugs & leads, fit them, move on to the next job.

cheers, Maka
Hey Maka,
Exactly what I was hoping to hear mate and you said it perfectly

Got the right gear coming trust me
Some people just have no idea Using mixed plugs

Easy, Done, Too Easy lol ............ As simple as end of topic now
That is unless anyone else wants to discuss this kinda topic with others further, but I got the exact answer I was looking for.

Cheers Maka

Take Care,
Dave

DRAGN6 Build Thread

My Previous Rides:
LOTS, But I'm only listing my most recent!!

1. 2001 AU XR6 [New Daily]
  2. 1999 AU Classic [DRAGN6]
  3. 1992 EBII with too much to list! [sold and bough DRAGN6 as a 'stocker']!

DRAGN6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: