Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-09-2007, 07:35 PM   #1
EBFalcs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default who runs a spool?

i was just wondering how many people on the ford forums run one, because there is a lot of people with them on the commodore forums.

EBFalcs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2007, 07:36 PM   #2
boss-290

Even if people did, I'd hardly think they'd be raving about it on public forums. :
boss-290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2007, 07:39 PM   #3
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Spool for anything but all out track work where it is required for either setup or regulations (or 110% burnout car) is utterly stupid.

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2007, 07:40 PM   #4
EBFalcs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

why not, as if the cops are gonna suss em all out on the forum, then go find them and defect them.
Old 23-09-2007, 07:41 PM   #5
TWOJZ
Banned

what are we talking about here? lol
TWOJZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2007, 07:43 PM   #6
EBFalcs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

mini spools, they work the same as welding a diff up except you pull all the gears out that usually get welded and replace them with a solid cylinder with splines called a mini spool.
Old 23-09-2007, 07:43 PM   #7
boss-290

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWOJZ
what are we talking about here? lol
These days its hard to tell...

What, with my generation and their "Hoo runz a spoolz in there carz lolz!!"
boss-290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2007, 07:45 PM   #8
Barry_v
rocknrolla

you'll be breaking many axles if you're not sensible, and who puts a spool in to be sensible?
Barry_v is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2007, 07:50 PM   #9
EBFalcs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

iv'e heard the 28 spline BW axels are fairly tough, it's only the old 25 spline ones that used to break all the time.
Old 23-09-2007, 07:53 PM   #10
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

my mums embroidery machine runs 4 spoolZ lolz
DoreSlamR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2007, 07:54 PM   #11
Jeeepers
Merry Xmas To All

Only spool I want or need is when my turbo cranks up. Mini spools are for Commodore drivers, boy racers and anyone into pointless mods.
Jeeepers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2007, 07:55 PM   #12
Jeeepers
Merry Xmas To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoreSlamR
my mums embroidery machine runs 4 spoolZ lolz
Bwahahahahaha
Old 23-09-2007, 08:04 PM   #13
RIPGMH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKevXR6T
Only spool I want or need is when my turbo cranks up. Mini spools are for Commodore drivers, boy racers and anyone into pointless mods.
So you've run a spool in a street car I take it?
RIPGMH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2007, 08:13 PM   #14
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

man i'd love to say something here....... shame i'd get banned though
Old 23-09-2007, 08:21 PM   #15
RIPGMH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor
man i'd love to say something here....... shame i'd get banned though
Don't let fear hold you back
RIPGMH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2007, 08:30 PM   #16
TEaaron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What's so bad about spools?

I've driven 5L commo's with spools and they're not all that bad just the noises when you're parking.

I would put a spool in mine if it wasn't for insurance reasons.

E32 740iL Leather, sound system, rollin' on 19's
TEaaron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2007, 08:36 PM   #17
prydey
Rob

i took the spool out of mine because it was chewing through tyres too quick and was a bit of a pain in a daily driver, otherwise it would still be there. great for traction.

i didn't find it dangerous at all. i think the most dangerous device in most cars is the one hanging on to the steering wheel.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2007, 08:38 PM   #18
EBFalcs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
i didn't find it dangerous at all. i think the most dangerous device in most cars is the one hanging on to the steering wheel.
exactly, and that applys to alot of things in this world, it's not the object it's the person in control of it.
Old 23-09-2007, 08:43 PM   #19
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

They are a nightmare to live with,try pushing a car anywhere with one,you need at least 5 people,but they are about the only affordable choice for engines approaching 600hp that are fit and forget,Im talkin a full spool too,a mini spool is a POS,stuffs me why you would put one in an average road car that can barely loose traction in the wet..
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2007, 08:53 PM   #20
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i know this is probably a really stupid question but..

what is a 'spool'
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2007, 08:55 PM   #21
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Any type of spool is illegal (read no insurance cover ) on the road, with LSD and Detroit Lockers they are not needed anyway.

Last edited by Falcon Coupe; 23-09-2007 at 09:33 PM.
Falcon Coupe is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2007, 09:22 PM   #22
trick_xd
I build your wish list...

Well I don't have 600hp and
I don't have a L.S.D. or a Detroit Locker...

But I do have 4.11 diff and a spool 28spline

I do drive my car everyday and I drive it along the G.O.R. a lot as I have to work down that way now.

Yes it is not very good to have in the car as it wears the inside tyre that your turning.
In the wet ... Yes be very careful or you will come unstuck.

The thing I find the most (having the spool in for the last 12 mths Nealy) is that if you forget about it then you will come unstuck really quick ...
Always remember that the car is boss and you take it easy every time and you will be ok .

as for racing .. I went from 2.9s = 60foot and 9.8s = 660foot with my stuffed lsd(basic single spin most times) to 2.0s= 60foot and 8.6s=660foot
So yes for the price of a spool you will pick up some time on the track.
Old 23-09-2007, 09:27 PM   #23
347_XR8
Slide Baby Slide

I will be running a spool due to them being alot cheaper then a Mechanical 2-Way and alot more reliable the a run of the mill LSD (they wear out when giving a thrashing)...However my car will be setup for alot of track work (drift,drag and sprints)

Mr Super Skid-Man
347_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2007, 11:04 PM   #24
SupahStah
Tha Stah

use to run it in my ed fairmont (street driven).. , just the mini spool .. and if you like sideways and "full hectik" wheel skipping, i'd recommend it to anyone. easy to kick sideways in the dry too, so i found out -- a few times actually!
Soon To Come: |Largish Cam + Chip|
ETA: *When the bank account is ready *
SupahStah is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2007, 10:17 AM   #25
TeamQldRacing
XR6Turbo

We ran standard lsd in our BF's at Bathurst in the 12 hour '07, the only place we lost traction was in the cutting and drivers were able to handle that with the better handling through the rest of the circuit, spool will tend to push you straight ahead at every opportunity(like a tractor), which can become interesting in places like the dipper if the turbo spools up when you go to punch it out of a corner. Having said that we will be running full spools in '08 and will be interested in the difference in track times.
cheers
TeamQldRacing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2007, 02:46 PM   #26
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

I was curious about what this is as well, so here is an explanation from a website:

Spools & Mini Spools:
For racing, serious off-road, or crazy hot-rodders, a spool is the ultimate traction differential. Actually, it can hardly be called a differential because it does not differentiate. Spools have several purposes. First, they lock both left and right axles solid together so that there can be no loss of power due one wheel spinning faster than the other. Second, they usually support the ring gear much better than most other differentials. Last, they can be lighter than a differential, which saves rotating mass as well as un-sprung weight that the suspension has to contain.

The main shortcoming of spools is the fact that the outside wheel has to turn faster when negotiating a turn if both wheels are to maintain traction. If the axles are locked together, one or both wheels have to slip in order for the outside wheel to travel farther than the inside wheel. This can cause the rear of the vehicle to spin out, fish-tale, or can cause a lot of noise that sounds like positraction clutch chatter as the axles twist and release. Sometimes these effects are not all that bad, and they are less severe when 35-spline or larger axles are used. For those people on a budget, there are mini-spools available for many rearend designs.

A mini-spool fits inside the standard open carrier, replacing the spider gears, and locking the left and right axle shafts together just like a spool does. A mini spool drives exactly like a full spool does, but they are not as strong as a full spool and do not add any extra support to the ring gear like a spool does.

From here:
http://www.offroaders.com/tech/limit...ferentials.htm

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2007, 03:02 PM   #27
Jeeepers
Merry Xmas To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPGMH
So you've run a spool in a street car I take it?
Before they were available or should I say cool? And when I was naive. I had my diff welded. Made for interesting driving in the wet I can tell you. I now have LSD, and no traction problems above what my power level gives. So in answer to your question, no. You are obviously in favour of them, and I have no problem with that. I see no point to them, and they are illegal. It's all about whatever floats your boat and personal opinion. My son is avid Commodore, and that is his choice. I listen to him talk of who has mini spools in his circle, he even remarks that when I turn in shiny cement car parks, mine sounds like it's got a mini spool. LOL

Last edited by ORSMT; 24-09-2007 at 03:08 PM.
Old 24-09-2007, 04:12 PM   #28
noosacuda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i had a 390 Galaxie with a broken 9" and locked the wheels like a spool and it was very scarey to drive in Noosa (the land of round-abouts) even in the dry. (i have raced speedway for a few years so sideways doesn't usually scare me,but on the road it did)
noosacuda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2007, 04:12 PM   #29
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you want stronger than LSD? Go a detroit locker or Trutrac. They run them in Nascar without an issue. I've recently fitted one to my car and the characteristics are similar to a spool. It makes driving in the wet interesting. Especially when you gently accelerate and the diff locks up (as it requires you to add power to do so). I like the LSD better but they don't last like detroit lockers.

The difference between a spool and a detroit locker for my car was $700 spool centre (illegal for street use but usable) and $2000 detroit locker centre (legal on the street).

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2007, 04:37 PM   #30
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So a spool is designed to give you more traction but results in your car driving sideways? Of course this makes perfect sense...

Is this an eighties thing or something, because I'm not getting it!
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post