Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-01-2020, 04:31 PM   #1
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default 2020 F150 Supercrew - Australian Review

Given the recent discussions on the American utes picking up popularity here in Australia, I thought this local review of the new F150 Lariat Supercrew may be of interest:

https://www.carsales.com.au/editoria...review-122320/

This one has 3L Diesel V6 engine, priced at $150K + ORC.

I'm of the opinion that it sort of defeats the purpose buying this with the 3L TDV6 aside from the vehicle being larger and fitting people in easier, it doesn't offer much in the way of power and torque compared to the Thailand specials with V6 diesel engines (Amarok?)

I think this would be a hard sell - I think the cheaper option of the naturally aspirated 5L V8 would be a better pick (295kW/542Nm) at $10K less, I wonder how pricing of the diesel compares with Ecoboost V6 (280kW/637Nm)?

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 11-01-2020 at 04:36 PM.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 12-01-2020, 11:22 AM   #2
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 2020 F150 Supercrew - Australian Review

Even in the US the diesel F-150 is priced way higher than all the other engine options. Is it imported or built in the US?

What it does highlight is this would be a fantastic engine in the Ranger and Everest. It would totally overshadow everything bar the Amarok for performance and we all know the next Amarok is using a Ford-lead development anyway.

PS..I'd take the V8 in F-150....the V6 Ecoboost is faster but the sound-track of the V8 is so much sweeter...and $10K is a massive difference even when today petrol is more than diesel around Melb. (upto $.30/lt more at some )

Just did a quick calc, at $0.35c/L difference, say 100 L per week, 52 weeks it comes to $1,820 more per year between diesel and petrol, $10K would be 5 years...why buy diesel even when they have the same price? Yes the petrol will use more fuel.

Last edited by Dr Smith; 12-01-2020 at 11:35 AM.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2020, 11:34 AM   #3
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post
Even in the US the diesel F-150 is priced way higher than all the other engine options. Is it imported or built in the US?

What it does highlight is this would be a fantastic engine in the Ranger and Everest. It would totally overshadow everything bar the Amarok for performance and we all know the next Amarok is using a Ford-lead development anyway.

PS..I'd take the V8 in F-150....the V6 Ecoboost is faster but the sound-track of the V8 is so much sweeter...and $10K is a massive difference even when today petrol is more than diesel around Melb. (upto $.30/lt more at some )

Just did a quick calc, at $0.35c/L difference, say 100 L per week, 52 weeks it comes to $1,820 more per year between diesel and petrol, $10K would be 5 years...why buy diesel?
I'm assuming its that 3L TDV6 from Jaguar/Land Rover that was the sucessor to the 2.7L TDV6 in our Territory.

I'd say people probably don't do the figures like that when buying cars, its an emotive choice and having diesel is a winner for that particular crowd that wants diesel or nothing.

It probably doesn't make overly much sense in the USA as they're very anti diesel, if the car was offered over here through Ford Australia its a no brainer as we have this silly obsession with slow, clattery and dirty diesel engines.
Old 12-01-2020, 11:36 AM   #4
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
I'm assuming its that 3L TDV6 from Jaguar/Land Rover that was the sucessor to the 2.7L TDV6 in our Territory.

I'd say people probably don't do the figures like that when buying cars, its an emotive choice and having diesel is a winner for that particular crowd that wants diesel or nothing.

It probably doesn't make overly much sense in the USA as they're very anti diesel, if the car was offered over here through Ford Australia its a no brainer as we have this silly obsession with slow, clattery and dirty diesel engines.
Except this engine isn't that slow, clattery or dirty
2 users like this post:
Old 12-01-2020, 11:40 AM   #5
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Except this engine isn't that slow, clattery or dirty
I'd say with 186KW and sub 600NM its slow, clattery and dirty compared to the other engines on offer that are up circa 100KW
Old 12-01-2020, 11:57 AM   #6
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Given the recent discussions on the American utes picking up popularity here in Australia, I thought this local review of the new F150 Lariat Supercrew may be of interest:

https://www.carsales.com.au/editoria...review-122320/

This one has 3L Diesel V6 engine, priced at $150K + ORC.

I'm of the opinion that it sort of defeats the purpose buying this with the 3L TDV6 aside from the vehicle being larger and fitting people in easier, it doesn't offer much in the way of power and torque compared to the Thailand specials with V6 diesel engines (Amarok?)

I think this would be a hard sell - I think the cheaper option of the naturally aspirated 5L V8 would be a better pick (295kW/542Nm) at $10K less, I wonder how pricing of the diesel compares with Ecoboost V6 (280kW/637Nm)?
Although not available in the F-150, the new 7.3l V8 petrol engine would be a great alternative. It's an extra USD$2k to get the 7.3 over the base 6.2 where the 6.7l powerstroke is an extra $USD10k.
Old 12-01-2020, 11:59 AM   #7
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I'd say with 186KW and sub 600NM its slow, clattery and dirty compared to the other engines on offer that are up circa 100KW
Just imagine if we were a lhd country.....
Old 12-01-2020, 12:02 PM   #8
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulus View Post
Although not available in the F-150, the new 7.3l V8 petrol engine would be a great alternative. It's an extra USD$2k to get the 7.3 over the base 6.2 where the 6.7l powerstroke is an extra $USD10k.
Agree - port injected simplicity

Quote:
Just imagine if we were a lhd country.....
Imagine if we were like NZ where they let people take responsibility for their own actions and let them drive LHD cars regardless of how old they are

Funny how you can drive one that's 30 years old here in VIC but not something new.

Watch the manufacturers push back if the government tried to allow something like this.